HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your Opinion of Ray Shero

Closed Thread

Old
07-14-2012, 01:48 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Shero: Jordan, here is a 10 year 60 million dollar contract. Do you accept?
Staal: Nope.
Rutherford: Jordan, here is a 10 year 60 million dollar contract. Do you accept?
Staal: Yep.

Shero: Hossa, here is a higher offer than Detroit will give you.
Hossa: I don't like the coach that just turned this team around and took them to the Finals and I would rather play in Detroit.

Shero: Zach, here is a competative offer to play for a very good team for the rest of your career
Parise: I want to play with Suter, and he wants to stay out west. We are compromising and going to Minnesota because its my home.

So where did Shero go wrong? None of these guys wanted to come to or stay in Pittsburgh.
All accurate. Shero made competitive offers to all, all left for personal reasons. Hossa was bandwagoning (and then lost again - so beautiful), Staal wanted to play with his brother on a team that could give him a 1 or 2C role (that's 100% clear now after he accepted the same deal he rejected here), and Parise wanted to go home again.

Old
07-14-2012, 02:05 PM
Muscles4Malkin
Better 2015-16?

Quote:
Rutherford: Jordan, here is a 10 year 60 million dollar contract. Do you accept?

Hossa: I don't like the coach that just turned this team around and took them to the Finals and I would rather play in Detroit.

Shero: Zach, here is a competative offer to play for a very good team for the rest of your career
Parise: I want to play with Suter, and he wants to stay out west. We are compromising and going to Minnesota because its my home.

So where did Shero go wrong? None of these guys wanted to come to or stay in Pittsburgh.

Dude, I love your posts + you write 87% of your posts how I think about things too.

Old
07-14-2012, 02:12 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscles4Malkin View Post

Dude, I love your posts + you write 87% of your posts how I think about things too.

Aww shucks

Old
07-14-2012, 02:23 PM
Muscles4Malkin
Better 2015-16?

It makes my ARMPITS smell more sweat when people say bad things about Shero. HE IS A GOOD MAN!!!!!11

Last edited by Muscles4Malkin: 07-14-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old
07-14-2012, 02:40 PM
Borgir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscles4Malkin View Post
It makes my balls smell more sweat when people say bad things about Shero. HE IS A GOOD MAN!!!!!11

Old
07-14-2012, 02:58 PM
Muscles4Malkin
Better 2015-16?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borgir View Post
Sorry, few drinks gone down here and lot's of sweets.

Shero has done more good moves than bad moves. Let's just say that's a fact.

Old
07-14-2012, 03:03 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
i only wish Shero would grab a copy of Dobber's 2012 Fantasy Hockey Prospects Report.

Old
07-14-2012, 03:21 PM
pensfansince88

he's top 30. not bad at all.

Old
07-14-2012, 03:44 PM
SundanceKid

I noticed the OP didn't mention the Neal trade, where Shero basically committed highway robbery on the Dallas Stars. I bet you don't even remember who we traded for that deal without googling it first, do you? Exactly my point.

Shero is a good GM. You can complain about the lack of a winger for Crosby but Shero did bring in many good players, including Hossa, to play on Sid's line. Neal was supposed to fulfill that role but he works so well with Malkin that you couldn't possibly pull those two apart. Let's also think that Crosby has been injured for about two seasons. Why bring in a winger to play with him when he wasn't even playing? The only chance Shero has had to get a winger for Sid was at the playoffs deadline and right now, so give Shero some time to make some more great moves. If you need another reminder of his genius, think back to '09 when he brought in Billy G and a few other vets right before the Playoffs started and ultimately won the Stanley Cup.

I think he is a great GM. It's hard to understand from a fan's perspective sometimes because we don't know if he is moving someone, Staal perhaps, to clear up cap space to bring in a core piece that we need. Personally I think we need to find some shut down defensemen like Scuderi and Hal Gill (won the cup with us in '09). Too much girlyness around in the defensive department with these gentle defensemen (Paul Martin & Zybanik M) leads to us getting pummeled by likes of the Flyers and other teams that get under our skin. Scoring goals isn't an issue, we score more than anyone in the league and before Crosby got injured he was having career highs and leading the league yet again, I think Crosby will be okay.

Last edited by SundanceKid: 07-14-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old
07-14-2012, 03:48 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
i only wish Shero would grab a copy of Dobber's 2012 Fantasy Hockey Prospects Report.
Think of all they would save on scouting per diem...

Old
07-14-2012, 03:51 PM
Sivek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
I think they would actually lose money in the end though if they had to hire translators for all the European/Russian forwards they would draft.

Old
07-14-2012, 03:54 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
I think they would actually lose money in the end though if they had to hire translators for all the European/Russian forwards they would draft.
Fire all of the scouts then. Just take who Dobber tells you.

What could possibly go wrong?

Old
07-14-2012, 04:08 PM
Mr. T

Quote:
Fire all of the scouts then. Just take who Dobber tells you.

What could possibly go wrong?
Plus you'll have a boss goatee and some sweet shades.

Old
07-14-2012, 04:09 PM
sf expat71

I think he is a very good GM. That being said, throwing out words like "top 5 easily" is a bit misguided. He should definitely be lauded for doing well in the (very privileged) circumstances that he is in. We spend or try to spend to the cap each season. We have great ownership and great facilities. We have a couple of top level centers and a top notch d-man to build around. But how would he fare if he was put in a situation like Maloney in Phx? Or Poile in Nashville? Or even Howson in CBJ? I think we can safely assume he will do far better than Howson, but I don't know that he'd do better than either of the other two.
He is similar to Holland, I think, in that he is an excellent GM in a great situation, with a strong idea of the type of team he wants to build. Regarding his trading prowess, however, I'd be hard pressed to find a better GM in this league (maybe Homer?). If I were to somehow rank him (which in and of itself is ridiculous considering the 30 different circumstances that exist in the NHL), I would put him level with guys like Holland and Chiarelli. Great GMs with cup rings to their credit, and ahead of guys like Homer and Gillis who have great teams but lack that ring. But maybe not as good as Poile, Maloney, even Lombardi, who I consider miracle workers that somehow stay in the playoff hunt in a tough Western Conference without the benefit of the perks that the Penguins provide. Yeah Maloney and Poile don't have rings, but man, if it weren't for those guys I'm willing to bet those two would be lottery teams more often than not.

Old
07-14-2012, 04:13 PM
sf expat71

And to those that suggest it's Trotz or Tippett that's keeping them competitive, I'd argue that the GM hired those guys. Our GM hired a guy who won us the cup, but lately I have been seeing defensive breakdowns from supposedly elite d-men far too often to think that our coaching right now is hunky dory.

Old
07-14-2012, 04:47 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
dare i say that it's refreshing to have sarcasm detected without an emoticon.

Old
07-14-2012, 05:47 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
Mr. Bugg, who posts here writes for Dobber. Read some of his obsessive anti-Pens/Crosby stuff and think of the enlightened minds behind Dobber's lists.

Old
07-14-2012, 06:04 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:

He should have kidnapped their families & held them hostage until they signed.

People assume since we have Malkin & Crosby everyone is going to want to play with us but in truth after the game is over these guys go home. It's kind of important to them where that home is at.

Old
07-14-2012, 06:43 PM
Von Malkin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundanceKid View Post
I noticed the OP didn't mention the Neal trade, where Shero basically committed highway robbery on the Dallas Stars. I bet you don't even remember who we traded for that deal without googling it first, do you? Exactly my point.
DIRECT QUOTE FROM MY POST:

"Shero has made some fantastic trades; the Neal and Hossa deals were straight up robberies. He has made some pretty great trades, until the Michalek donation. "

Nice try ya chooch. You gotta work on reading comprehension before you attack others. Don't try insulting me because you disagree.

Last edited by Von Malkin*: 07-14-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old
07-14-2012, 07:07 PM
SEALBound
RIP Elmer

Neal worked out well for Malkin, Nisky worked out well for the bottom pairing.

Gogo is working out well in Dallas.

How is it highway robbery?

Old
07-14-2012, 07:34 PM
mpp9

We'll never know the details of Shero's sales job to Parise. But if I was him, I would have told Zach straight up that he's all but a lock to be in the hall of fame signing here longterm. Stay healthy and Sid will make you the best winger in the game, multiple 100 pt seasons and a chance to win a Cup every year.

Nuts to think Parise turned that down. Beyond me.

Old
07-14-2012, 08:46 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

As for the Z trade, I feel a little better reading some more about Ruopp. Sounds like he could wind being comparable to Z in terms of being a position guy, but being more physical. We'll find out in a few years but he may not have lost that trade either.

Old
07-14-2012, 09:08 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

THIS IS A TEST OF THE EMERGENCY MODERATOR NETWORK...

Moderators, in voluntary cooperation with federal, state and local authorities, have developed this system to keep you informed in the event of dewshery. Had this been an actual dewsh-attack, infractions would've been doled out and you would've been instructed on the best way to hide in your basement until the area was secured. Remember: there is no "dewsh" in "duck and cover".

Thank you. This concludes the test of the emergency moderator network. You will now be returned to your regularly scheduled Shero.

Old
07-14-2012, 09:16 PM
sf expat71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
As for the Z trade, I feel a little better reading some more about Ruopp. Sounds like he could wind being comparable to Z in terms of being a position guy, but being more physical. We'll find out in a few years but he may not have lost that trade either.
Possibly in the long term, we may end up winning the trade. (Un)fortunately, we are in a win now mode and as excited as some of our d prospects make me I don't really know that Despres, Strait, or Burtozzo are ready to pick up his minutes. Honestly can't fault Shero if he does lose in this trade in the short term though, from some of the quotes it sounded like Michalek wanted to return to PHX.

Old
07-14-2012, 09:21 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf expat71 View Post
Possibly in the long term, we may end up winning the trade. (Un)fortunately, we are in a win now mode and as excited as some of our d prospects make me I don't really know that Despres, Strait, or Burtozzo are ready to pick up his minutes. Honestly can't fault Shero if he does lose in this trade in the short term though, from some of the quotes it sounded like Michalek wanted to return to PHX.

Honestly I don't think Despres will have a big problem picking up his minutes if he's paired with Martin, and Martin understands his role is to always be the safety guy backing up Despres. He'll make his mistakes and get burned sometimes but that's expected. We'll see how he fairs against the team in camp. If he does well, I want him out there and developing into a bona fide NHL D this year.

Given how stacked WBS is now and that Elmer did not look out of place even in the playoffs last year, he should be in the lineup with Martin on the second pairing. His size and aggressiveness should actually compliment him better than Michalek.

As for Ruopp, he's more likely to play a shutdown role if Dumoulin isn't doing it already by that time. I think in a couple years we're going to be calling Shero "genius" because unlike every other team we're not going to be falling all over ourselves to sign FA D to fill the holes. We're going to bring these guys in one at a time and fill the gaps internally.

This year Elmer, next year Dumoulin (for Orpik possibly), year after Morrow (for Niskanen maybe), maybe Maatta if he's as good as everyone says and fills in a bit. The other thing this does is it might give Letang some pause about asking us for maximum dollars, if he's set on staying here.

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 07-14-2012 at 09:27 PM.
Closed Thread