Notices

Backstrom/Harding/Hackett

Old
07-13-2012, 05:05 PM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

vCash: 500
Backstrom/Harding/Hackett

Hey guys, I'm curious how the goaltending plays out now. With Backstrom on the last year of a 6 million dollar deal and 34 years old, will he be re-signed? Harding has a fairly good year last year and has been touted as a potential number one and Hackett proved he is capable of back-up duties as well.

Obviously Backs is the man right now but maybe that 6 million off the books could even be moved with Minny so tight up against the cap.

I dunno. What's the general feeling on this.

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 05:08 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasLEAF View Post
Hey guys, I'm curious how the goaltending plays out now. With Backstrom on the last year of a 6 million dollar deal and 34 years old, will he be re-signed? Harding has a fairly good year last year and has been touted as a potential number one and Hackett proved he is capable of back-up duties as well.

Obviously Backs is the man right now but maybe that 6 million off the books could even be moved with Minny so tight up against the cap.

I dunno. What's the general feeling on this.
If Backs is solid, I could see him attracting attention on the UFA market - he is only a year older than Luongo after all.

No way he stays here for a major pay cut IMO, unless he really wants to stay.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 05:09 PM
Ovechkid08

Backstrom has a NTC but he likely will be gone after this season, most expect a Harding Hackett 1a/1b situation going in the future. Depending on play this season I could see us maybe giving Backstrom a much cheaper contract for another year or two depending on Hackett's development and how all three play. Seems very much like an assessment year to me.

Ovechkid08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 05:31 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
let me be first to go on record as being uncomfortable with a Harding Hackett tandem.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 05:42 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
let me be first to go on record as being uncomfortable with a Harding Hackett tandem.
Eventually you have to move on, though. At some point they have to hand over the keys. Whether that's sooner or later is still a bit up in the air, but it's an inevitability.

Personally I think Harding's been groomed enough to (finally) settle into the #1 role. It might be a bit rocky, but we have already and continue to dramatically improve the D in front of him, so that should help smooth the transition.

I also think they've been very smart (and conservative) about Hackett's development. I'm not super worried.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 05:48 PM
se7en
infamous...

Quote:
Let me be the first to second that..

se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 05:50 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
Let me be the first to second that..
At this point, I'd agree. Although, Harding could do some things over the course of this year to alleviate some of my worries (i.e. stay healthy and in turn be more consistent).

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 05:56 PM
Blakkmantis
Old Time Hockey EH!

Quote:
I can understand this feeling, I've been sort of like this myself, but with our present situation, I think moving Backs at seasons end, if not sooner would be the wise thing to do. We have such a great stable of young goalies who "seem" to be ready to take over that job and run with it, we should continue adding depth at key positions we need help with to trade somebody like Back's where we are deep, for defense where we are still suspect.

Blakkmantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 06:03 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

I think people are overly worried about the impending goalie switch. It has to happen eventually, and Hackett has shown he can at least be average at the NHL level. We all know that Harding is capable when healthy. I really don't see what all the worry is about on that front.

All that said, Backstrom should spend the entire season with us then will either walk or be offered a 1 year deal at a dramatically reduced salary. Other than as an injury replacement, I don't think we'll see any of Hackett at the NHL level this year.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 06:22 PM
Karl

This should be Backs last year and I am fine getting rid of his cap hit. I have always been a big Harding fan and think he will be a great starting goalie in the future, it will be nice though to have another year of backs strong play behind the net.

Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:18 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

I wasn't pleased with Hackett in goal for the scrimmage. It was more like he was mailing it in because he knows where he is going to be playing...

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:37 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
I wasn't pleased with Hackett in goal for the scrimmage. It was more like he was mailing it in because he knows where he is going to be playing...
with the number of promising goalies we have, "mailing it in" for one of them should be a huge red flag for Ops. Guys like Granlund can mail it in--because when they do, they're still obviously good and there isn't a ready replacement.

FWIW I don't think Hackett mailed it in, and I know he can be better than he was in the scrimmage. I'd much rather think he just had an off day or was feeling jittery.

I realize we have to push the babies out of the nest eventually and that $6m is too much to spend on a goalie now that we've shifted our focus. I have about zero confidence Harding can be an above average starter in the NHL, and for at least this season we're going to need above average goaltending. It'll be a close thing the following season and my confidence in his ability to keep us out of trouble will change (rise or lower) depending on how i feel the team is gelling.

Old
07-13-2012, 07:48 PM
saywut

If Hackett continues to excel at the AHL level this will be his last year there, and I would make the case he earned an opportunity to compete for a back-up role this season. Signing Harding for three years is very risky but obviously Fletcher and co. are sold on him being capable of staying healthy and playing in a tandem, or potentially as a #1 in 13-14 if Hackett struggles after being given an NHL job.

Its possble we could continue this Harding/Backstrom tandem if Hackett struggles or becomes a coveted asset to improve our team elsewhere. Though depending on the play of some others(Scandella, Spurgeon, and Clutterbuck) we might not be able to afford Backstrom, even if he takes a discount on top of a near guaranteed reduced cap-hit.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 08:26 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

i'm not convinced Backs will even find it worth it to stay in NA for half his salary, and I really don't have any realistic scenarios in mind beyond him doing that for a year. Just...I feel a disturbance in the force. I would hate for the team and our prospects to put together a year where we score half a goal more per game on average (yay!) but let in a half goal per game more (boo!). How frustrating would that be?

Old
07-13-2012, 09:18 PM
Blakkmantis
Old Time Hockey EH!

A lot of the game is mental, and as a goalie it can be a whole different world trying to get into the right mind to play awesome in nets in a scrimmage, than in a real game. Just saying. Wasn't a ton of great defense there in front of our goalies either last night, the whole game just had a back yard pond "pick-up" game vibe to it. Most all of the bigger name prospects seemed to just coast around out there, and the guys who were very noticable were the guys who felt they really had something to prove.

Blakkmantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:03 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
I think people are overly worried about the impending goalie switch. It has to happen eventually, and Hackett has shown he can at least be average at the NHL level. We all know that Harding is capable when healthy. I really don't see what all the worry is about on that front.

All that said, Backstrom should spend the entire season with us then will either walk or be offered a 1 year deal at a dramatically reduced salary. Other than as an injury replacement, I don't think we'll see any of Hackett at the NHL level this year.
Agreed. It's the same uneasy feeling that many people had when Roli was traded as well as when Manny was sent packing. Goaltending has never really been a weak link for this team, so the fear is always there of something going wrong when it's shaken up a bit.

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:10 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

People always want to keep the incombent for the most part if the results are solid. They fear the unknown.

Harding has shown the ability to steal games though, and his consistency problems are mostly due to playing time. He's a goalie that improves with more playing time.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:14 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
Agreed. It's the same uneasy feeling that many people had when Roli was traded as well as when Manny was sent packing. Goaltending has never really been a weak link for this team, so the fear is always there of something going wrong when it's shaken up a bit.
there is a huge reason goalies haven't ever been much of a concern. Jacques Motherf**king Lemaire. It's not the same beast, and I doubt very much Fernandez or Roloson would look half as good on this team as they did under Lemaire. Backs is better. Harding could be great if he can stay healthy but as quick as he is and as much as he has to move around with our d giving forwards free reign he's going to tear something sooner or later.

edit: rein. dammit. rein.

Last edited by rynryn: 07-13-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old
07-13-2012, 11:01 PM
BigT2002

I honestly think he will be willing to take the paycut to stay here. IIRC, he has said on multiple occasions he loves it here too much to leave and has really grounded himself in the cities. How much of a cut he would need to take remains to be seen though...

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:37 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

I think Backs might stay for a lower salary, but there is now enough depth to make up for it if he doesn't. I'm not as concerned about the goaltending as some people might be. We have a bunch of young goaltending prospects that could at some point make it up to the big club and fight for a spot. That and the defense looks to be improved from past years.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:48 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
I honestly think he will be willing to take the paycut to stay here. IIRC, he has said on multiple occasions he loves it here too much to leave and has really grounded himself in the cities. How much of a cut he would need to take remains to be seen though...
I don't know BigT. Why would he leave millions on the table to stay here, when someone will surely offer him more, at least if he has a normal year stats wise?

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 02:08 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
And he also owns a team in the FEL...

I am relatively sure that he is set financially, and as soon as he isn't a goalie for the Wild, he will be back in Finland, enjoying Finnish hockey.

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 02:16 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

From what I keep seeing and hearing about Gustaffson, I wouldn't be surprised if he passes up Hackett in a couple years.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 03:05 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
From what I keep seeing and hearing about Gustaffson, I wouldn't be surprised if he passes up Hackett in a couple years.
Dunno, I keep hearing that he can be rattled... I'm not a fan of goalies that let crap get in their head.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 04:00 AM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Dunno, I keep hearing that he can be rattled... I'm not a fan of goalies that let crap get in their head.
Ummmm...they all let crap get in their heads. That's why they're goalies. Any guy who chooses a job where every mistake results with a red light going on behind him and the negative reaction of 18,000 or more people has got to be crazy. It doesn't take much to mess with their heads. Wasn't it Manny who use to avoid cracks in the street when walking to the arena? And Backstrom....he gets crap in his head if anyone interrupts his pre-game shuffle.

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote