Backstrom/Harding/Hackett

Old
07-16-2012, 05:05 AM
Foxlockbox
:laugh: is my period

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Not sure why... Niemi is a games played machine and does very well... and Brodeur just took his team to the finals... played damn well the whole way too. When was the last time Backstrom even came close to a playoff series win?

The problem is... when you're average, you end up in a group that is not so very clear at all. That's where Backstrom is.
And Bäckström is on top of that group of averages and can easily bust into top 10 with an injury free and good season.

Foxlockbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 05:07 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxlockbox View Post
And Bäckström is on top of that group of averages and can easily bust into top 10 with an injury free and good season.
You and I disagree on that one.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 05:15 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Not sure why... Niemi is a games played machine and does very well... and Brodeur just took his team to the finals... played damn well the whole way too. When was the last time Backstrom even came close to a playoff series win?
When the hell was the last time Backstrom was in the playoffs? He doesn't get anywhere near the chances that most of those other goalies do.

Backs puts up solid numbers with a mediocre defense in front of him. If Backstrom played for Tippett or Hitchcock, I guarantee everyone would have him in their top 10 for NHL goalies. Let's see what a Howard or a Smith would've done with the Wild playing in front of him. A lot of those goalies, especially guys like Fleury and Elliott, are nothing more than a product of the team in front of them.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 05:50 AM
Foxlockbox

Quote:
You and I disagree on that one.
And I agree to disagree Goalies are undpredictable bunch, we see fallers and risers every year, someone riding a hot streak and another returned to a reality and so on.

Old
07-16-2012, 08:28 AM
SphinX
#Whytake7whenyouget3

Bäckström got chosen to play Olympics (And nailed it) when Kipper played 5 games and sucked..doesnt this tell us who is better?

I mean.. Bäcks got the Vezina under Lemaire, which is good, but now he had put up decent numbers with this so called swiss cheese.. Bäcks is good.. easily top 15, maybe top 10.

End

SphinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 08:35 AM
Foxlockbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by SphinX View Post
Bäckström got chosen to play Olympics (And nailed it) when Kipper played 5 games and sucked..doesnt this tell us who is better?

I mean.. Bäcks got the Vezina under Lemaire, which is good, but now he had put up decent numbers with this so called swiss cheese.. Bäcks is good.. easily top 15, maybe top 10.

End
Kipper is better imo , just had subpar olympics.

Old
07-16-2012, 08:38 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Put Backstrom behind a NHL caliber defense and he's still a higher end goaltender. He was a big reason why the Wild were where they were for a good chunk of the year last season. Especially when he was getting shelled game after game. I'd go so far as saying that he was the team's best player for the first half of the season...

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:16 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasLEAF View Post
Hey guys, I'm curious how the goaltending plays out now. With Backstrom on the last year of a 6 million dollar deal and 34 years old, will he be re-signed? Harding has a fairly good year last year and has been touted as a potential number one and Hackett proved he is capable of back-up duties as well.

Obviously Backs is the man right now but maybe that 6 million off the books could even be moved with Minny so tight up against the cap.

I dunno. What's the general feeling on this.
Backstrom will likely be gone, Harding has a cheap 3-year deal, and Hackett will likely split time with Harding next year. All indications are that Backstrom will not be moved unless the Wild are headed for a lottery pick by the deadline.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 11:50 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by SphinX View Post

End
The Jennings actually.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 12:15 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Plus, his NTC is based on his personal numbers, not a point in time.

So if he sucks, he can be traded. If he doesn't suck, he can't be.

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 01:22 PM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
The Jennings actually.
Was a Vezina finalist though, which is still pretty impressive.

Jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 01:52 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Well if what I've seen out of Hackett in the prospect scrimmages is anything close to where he's at right now in his development, then I'd say he's gonna need more than just one more year in Houston.
Yep, his performance in 12 NHL games played means nothing compared to two 25 minute laid back "scrimmages" in July.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 01:56 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

2nd scrimmage, Hackett looked like he gave a **** and looked solid.

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 01:59 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Lundqvist
Quick
Rinne
Price
Ward
Miller
Lehtonen
Schneider
Brodeur
Fleury
Thomas (not yet retired, just taking a year off?)
Luongo
Elliot
Smith
Rask
Howard
Hiller
Halak
Niemi
Kiprusoff
Backstrom

Is that enough? That actually has him outside of my top 20 rankings at this point... which I didn't expect to be honest...
Honestly, Schneider? Did you really let yourself type that? I mean, I can let you argue for Rask, and maybe people would agree with you, but Schneider? Howard? Halak? SMITH? Elliot? Please just tell me this was a joke post.

For one that can actually be argued but I disagree on, Kiprusoff. He's on the decline big-time. He's got the workhorse edge on Backstrom, but that's it. He's not the goalie that carried Calgary to game 7 of the cup finals in 2004 anymore. He may have a better legacy than Backstrom, but head to head in a game today, I take Backs without question.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 02:01 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Talon just hates backstrom for some reason. or really really loves Harding for some reason. he's going to be a little mental about trying to give Harding the starting job.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 04:14 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
Talon just hates backstrom for some reason. or really really loves Harding for some reason. he's going to be a little mental about trying to give Harding the starting job.
Not at all, I just think the days of high price goaltending is all but over. Sure there will always be a few high paid goaltenders, but the talent gap has gotten so small in net these days, I'd rather keep the payroll elsewhere.

Unless it's a generational talent in goal, I'm not one to have a high priced goalie.

Old
07-16-2012, 04:16 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

So his contract is up and next year we have $2.5m or so for goalies...what's the big deal?

Old
07-16-2012, 04:20 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
So his contract is up and next year we have $2.5m or so for goalies...what's the big deal?
That's without Backstrom...the way it should be! People think I'm crazy for not wanting him back at $3.5 mil. I would absolutely let him walk for anything over $2 mil... That's where this debate picked up.

In the end, the debate its moot, because all signs point to Backstrom leaving after this season anyway.

Old
07-16-2012, 04:25 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
That's without Backstrom...the way it should be! People think I'm crazy for not wanting him back at $3.5 mil. I would absolutely let him walk for anything over $2 mil... That's where this debate picked up.

In the end, the debate its moot, because all signs point to Backstrom leaving after this season anyway.
You can say that without even seeing how he does this year?

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 04:26 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
You can say that without even seeing how he does this year?
With Hackett in the wings and Harding's contract extension? Yeah.

Oh wait...that's right, everyone is always afraid of goaltenders who've never been a #1 goalie in the NHL before, even though every single #1 goaltender has always been unproven at some point.

As I said, with the talent gap so small these days, that's the last thing I'll worry about.

Old
07-16-2012, 04:33 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Funny thing...I remember many of the same conversations taking place when Fernandez got overpaid and I asked for Backstrom to take the job with Harding as the backup... It's Harding's turn now, when it looks like he's going to get overpaid, I'll likely ask for Hackett...

Old
07-16-2012, 04:38 PM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

Hackett gets the majority of the hype, and deservedly so because he is the team's best goaltending prospect; but the Wild have two other very good goalies in Kuemper in Gustaffson. I think they both have the potential to become solid NHL goaltenders but I'm not sure how they fit in with Hackett in the mix. Opinions?

Jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 04:39 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I worry about going from Backstrom to Harding/Hackett/whomever not because they've never been number one's; but because neither are/are likely to be as good (or consistent) as Backstrom has shown. He's still a markedly better goaltender than Harding. Jury is out on Hackett but I'm not all that ready to concede the spot to him at this point.

Backstrom still gives this team the best chance to win on any given night. And that's something that I don't believe to be even up for debate.

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 04:39 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Both have shown improvements year over year. Hackett stepped in right away and made an impact at the AHL level. Kuemper fought injuries, but goalies take a while. Gustavsson might be another European goalie who will be a stud in several years. Let them take their sweet time.

Old
07-16-2012, 04:42 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
I worry about going from Backstrom to Harding/Hackett/whomever not because they've never been number one's; but because neither are/are likely to be as good (or consistent) as Backstrom has shown. He's still a markedly better goaltender than Harding. Jury is out on Hackett but I'm not all that ready to concede the spot to him at this point.

Backstrom still gives this team the best chance to win on any given night. And that's something that I don't believe to be even up for debate.
I don't think he's significantly better than Harding at all...