Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will we make the cap floor?

Old
06-28-2012, 08:02 AM
jamiebez

vCash: 500
Will we make the cap floor?

Cap ceiling is $70.2 according to Elliotte Freidman's tweet yesterday. That means a floor of $54.2M

After Pav's deal, we are at approx $42.3M with 16 players signed.

Hypothetically:

Kane gets $3.5M (I'm giving him Duchene's deal)
Machacek gets $750k
a 7th D (Flood?) gets $1M
a back-up goalie (Monster?) gets $1M

That gets us to $48.5M with a need to spend $5.7M on 2 forwards just to hit the floor.

July 1 should actually be interesting this year

jamiebez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:19 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

vCash: 50
I kind of like this, actually. I feel Cheveldayoff will make some wise choices in whatever we do, and I like that we've got the flexibility to do it.

I feel we may target Parenteau or Hudler. I think Cheveldayoff may try for one top 6 forward, a defenceman and either re-sign Tanner Glass or perhaps fill his role via UFA. Then again, there would be no issue with giving Machecek Glass's spot, either.

All in all, we've got options, and we HAVE to spend some money... so this should be fun.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:26 AM
Huffer

I agree that this will be fun and interesting. What about signing Enstrom? That would probably be an extra 2 million or so (above his current).

My only concern is that while Chevy is spending some UFA money, that he doesn't do it in such a way that will handcuff him for next year when Wheeler, Little, Burmistrov, Cormier, and Bogosian all need new contracts.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:27 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
I kind of like this, actually. I feel Cheveldayoff will make some wise choices in whatever we do, and I like that we've got the flexibility to do it.

I feel we may target Parenteau or Hudler. I think Cheveldayoff may try for one top 6 forward, a defenceman and either re-sign Tanner Glass or perhaps fill his role via UFA. Then again, there would be no issue with giving Machecek Glass's spot, either.

All in all, we've got options, and we HAVE to spend some money... so this should be fun.
I just hope we are lucky enough to land a good one instead of being forced to overpay for left overs judt to make the floor.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:33 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
I just hope we are lucky enough to land a good one instead of being forced to overpay for left overs judt to make the floor.
That is my fear as well. A bit nervous but I honestly can't see Cheveldayoff throwing unwarranted money at an undeserving player.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:05 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post

I suspect PA will be out of our price range. He will want 1st line money and he will probably find it somewhere.

I also think he is a major let down risk. He would be a second line player on many teams. No Tavares and less powerplay could really hurt his production. I am not convinced he would be a major improvement over Welly.

truck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:12 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
I suspect PA will be out of our price range. He will want 1st line money and he will probably find it somewhere.

I also think he is a major let down risk. He would be a second line player on many teams. No Tavares and less powerplay could really hurt his production. I am not convinced he would be a major improvement over Welly.
Agreed. Though his stat line is impressive from last year i really worry about his ability to do anything similar. I think hes a huge risk and isblikely to be this years leino.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:13 AM
Huffer

Quote:

I really hope we aren't the team to give PA 1st line money. I'm hesitant to even give him 2nd line money without seeing some sort of production without a guy like Tavares.

I would much rather have Wellwood at a third of the price if it came to that.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:30 AM
TonyFresco

How about taking a shot at Peter Mueller. Colorado didn't qualify him. A bit of a risk with concussion history by definitely top 6 talent. And a 24 year old winger with his size (6'2 - 204) and skill (has a 54 point rookie season under his belt and scored 20 points in 15 games in his first partial season in Col.) doesn't hit the market every day.

He just may be poised to have a Blake Wheeler type breakout if he can stay healthy. Not sure what it would take to sign him but his previous cap hit was $2.0 million. I'd rather spend the money on him than the $2.2 million we spent on Fehr last year.

TonyFresco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:42 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

Quote:

Completely agree with you. I think there is a team out there that will give him 4.5-5 million per on 4-5 years. I would rather us not be that team.

With that being said, I don't think Cheveldayoff would give him that sort of money.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:51 AM
almostawake

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebez View Post
Cap ceiling is $70.2 according to Elliotte Freidman's tweet yesterday. That means a floor of $54.2M

After Pav's deal, we are at approx $42.3M with 16 players signed.

Hypothetically:

Kane gets $3.5M (I'm giving him Duchene's deal)
Machacek gets $750k
a 7th D (Flood?) gets $1M
a back-up goalie (Monster?) gets $1M

That gets us to $48.5M with a need to spend $5.7M on 2 forwards just to hit the floor.

July 1 should actually be interesting this year
Until a new CBA is signed this is kind of irrelevant. Ignoring the fact that the NHL is going to attempt to reduce the player's share of revenue, one of the main issues (on both sides) is the floor and how it should work. In other words, I wouldn't count on the floor being calculated the same way in the new CBA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
I agree that this will be fun and interesting. What about signing Enstrom? That would probably be an extra 2 million or so (above his current).

My only concern is that while Chevy is spending some UFA money, that he doesn't do it in such a way that will handcuff him for next year when Wheeler, Little, Burmistrov, Cormier, and Bogosian all need new contracts.
Unless something radically changes in the new CBA signing Enstrom to an extension would have no impact on his cap hit for next year.

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:58 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostawake View Post
Unless something radically changes in the new CBA signing Enstrom to an extension would have no impact on his cap hit for next year.
you mistook his meaning

his issue was what effect the signings made to make the floor in 2012-2013 season would have on our cap space for the 2013-2014 and beyond seasons, when all of our best players will be due for new contracts and raises.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:29 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
you mistook his meaning

his issue was what effect the signings made to make the floor in 2012-2013 season would have on our cap space for the 2013-2014 and beyond seasons, when all of our best players will be due for new contracts and raises.
On the bright side, Hainsey and Antropov alone will save 8.5 million dollars in cap space.

They could give Wheeler / Little / Burmi / Toby and Bogo and average raise of 2 mill each per year and it would only make for a 1.5 million dollar jump in cap hit.

Last edited by truck: 06-28-2012 at 10:31 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old
06-28-2012, 10:36 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
On the bright side, Hainsey and Antropov alone will save 8.5 million dollars in cap space.

They could give Wheeler / Little / Burmi / Toby and Bogo and average raise of 2 mill each per year and it would only make for a 1.5 million dollar jump in cap hit.
that is a very good point. But then we have to replace them.

That being said i'm fairly certain you could get similar caliber play for less, their both on the tail end of contracts signed when they brought a lot more to the table then they do now.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:47 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
that is a very good point. But then we have to replace them.

That being said i'm fairly certain you could get similar caliber play for less, their both on the tail end of contracts signed when they brought a lot more to the table then they do now.
Ideally, they will be replaced by system players who are on relatively small contracts. If somebody like Redmond ($900,000 ish), Scheifele ($1,594,167) or Telegin ($697,778) can get into the lineup, things flow smoothly forward.

Old
06-28-2012, 11:12 AM
Jet
More Finnz pls

I'm sorry guys, but we might as well have a thread titled:

Should I bring a umbrella with me to the park on August 4th?

We have no idea how the CBA will affect the cap. How can we even speculate whether we are going to make the floor, or if there WILL be a floor? (though I know the structure of the CBA is unlikely to change much).

I am going to delay thinking about what we have to do to comply with the cap until we see what the parameters will actually be.

06-28-2012, 11:15 AM
Sweech
Alles zu seiner Zeit

vCash: 5239
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyFresco View Post
How about taking a shot at Peter Mueller. Colorado didn't qualify him. A bit of a risk with concussion history by definitely top 6 talent. And a 24 year old winger with his size (6'2 - 204) and skill (has a 54 point rookie season under his belt and scored 20 points in 15 games in his first partial season in Col.) doesn't hit the market every day.

He just may be poised to have a Blake Wheeler type breakout if he can stay healthy. Not sure what it would take to sign him but his previous cap hit was $2.0 million. I'd rather spend the money on him than the $2.2 million we spent on Fehr last year.
This is what I'm really hoping for.

I'm hoping he can make a David Perron-esque return. Hopefully with a full summer to utilize he can regain some strength and get over some of the lingering concussion symptoms.

I think Mueller would be a great fit here.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 11:18 AM
Samcanadian

P.A. Parentau's a pretty darn underwhelming player for 5 million

Samcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 11:19 AM
Samcanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I'm sorry guys, but we might as well have a thread titled:

Should I bring a umbrella with me to the park on August 4th?

We have no idea how the CBA will affect the cap. How can we even speculate whether we are going to make the floor, or if there WILL be a floor? (though I know the structure of the CBA is unlikely to change much).

I am going to delay thinking about what we have to do to comply with the cap until we see what the parameters will actually be.

I think the point of the thread is more to enjoy the fact that we're gonna be forced to spend some money on some players!!!

Samcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 11:27 AM
Jet
More Finnz pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samcanadian View Post
I think the point of the thread is more to enjoy the fact that we're gonna be forced to spend some money on some players!!!
Well I sure hope that is the case

I am hoping we have hockey first though

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 11:30 AM
jamiebez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samcanadian View Post
Yup

This CBA is in effect until September 15th, and Fehr said today that they may play next season under the same parameters if they can't strike a deal (and the owners don't decide to lock them out).

If that's the case, we have to hit the floor. I'm sure GMs are preparing for that possibility.

edit: Jet, yes you should bring an umbrella to the park that day. Don't ask how I know, just trust me....

jamiebez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 11:49 AM
Gm0ney
Way down in the hole

Quote:
Yup

This CBA is in effect until September 15th, and Fehr said today that they may play next season under the same parameters if they can't strike a deal (and the owners don't decide to lock them out).

If that's the case, we have to hit the floor. I'm sure GMs are preparing for that possibility.

edit: Jet, yes you should bring an umbrella to the park that day. Don't ask how I know, just trust me....
I think the owners would lock them out. They don't want to go into the season with no CBA and have the players strike right before the Winter Classic or the playoffs. As some pundit mentioned yesterday on 1290, there are a lot of US teams that couldn't care less about October/November on the schedule.

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 11:59 AM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyFresco View Post

Size doesn't mean much when you don't use it. Mueller has always been on the soft side and since his concussions, I don't see him becoming suddenly more brave to get to those high traffic areas he needs to in order to score and make his presence felt.

From a pure offensive potential stand point, he may make some sense, but on a character stand point, he is someone who I would steer clear of and with his injury history, who's to say he'd even play enough to make any sort of impact?

I was a fan of his when he was selected by the Coyotes, but after watching him sulk and subsequently quit on his team until he was traded really soured my opinion of him. Even if you want to be traded, you should be giving 100% or don't even bother showing up.

Not exactly they type of player you want your younger players looking up to.

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:47 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 232
Quote:
Yup

A Fehr led MLBPA also continued to play for the season then decided to strike right before the playoffs. If there is no deal I hope the NHL locks them out til there is one

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:56 PM
Sweech
Alles zu seiner Zeit

vCash: 5239
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
A Fehr led MLBPA also continued to play for the season then decided to strike right before the playoffs. If there is no deal I hope the NHL locks them out til there is one
Why?

I'd rather have no playoffs than no hockey at all.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote