HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Goalie Dilemna

View Poll Results: How should the jackets resolve their goalie dilemna?
Sign the 2 best UFA's available 16 28.07%
Sign a UFA & re-sign Sanford 24 42.11%
Insist on a starting goalie as part of the Nash trade 9 15.79%
Trade for Luongo exclusive of Nash deal 7 12.28%
Trade for a goalie other than in a Nash or Luongo deal 15 26.32%
Other 10 17.54%
Draft both Subban and Dansk if available 11 19.30%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-22-2012, 02:04 PM
EspenK

vCash: 500
The Goalie Dilemna

So as we head toward the draft, the Nash trade and free agency and the slightly possibility of signing Corbeil., the reality is there is one signed goalie in the pipeline for next year Alan York.

What should the Jackets do?

Because the Jackets are so thin at that position, I'm beginning to wonder if spending LA's pick and the 31st (30th if NJ forfeits) on both Subban and Dansk is a prudent thing to do if they are available.

What do you guys think? In the poll you can vote for multiple choices so please vote on the Subban/Dansk question

Last edited by EspenK: 05-22-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old
05-22-2012, 02:09 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Sign Vokoun as a starter.
Sign Dekanich, either for the AHL, or as NHL backup if folks are truly that freaked out about Mason being anywhere near Central Ohio.
Draft someone like Vasilevski with a second-rounder, and maybe even look for someone else in the 7th round.
Don't worry about the LA pick.

Result:
CBJ: Vokoun, Dekanich or Mason.
Springfield: Mason or Dekanich, York
Pipeline: Vasilevski or equivalent, Forsberg, Ouellette, someone else in the 7th, potentially Corbeil.

Really, the only hard part is getting the NHL starter.

EDIT: Also, if folks are that horribly frightened of Dekanich, substitute Sanford in his place.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!

Last edited by Viqsi: 05-22-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old
05-22-2012, 02:24 PM
ClevelandJacketFan
Awesome Mascots!

By any means necessarily, except insisting we get one in the Nash trade.

Old
05-22-2012, 02:36 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Sign Vokoun as a starter.
Sign Dekanich, either for the AHL, or as NHL backup if folks are truly that freaked out about Mason being anywhere near Central Ohio.
Draft someone like Vasilevski with a second-rounder, and maybe even look for someone else in the 7th round.
Don't worry about the LA pick.

Result:
CBJ: Vokoun, Dekanich or Mason.
Springfield: Mason or Dekanich, York
Pipeline: Vasilevski or equivalent, Forsberg, Ouellette, someone else in the 7th, potentially Corbeil.

Really, the only hard part is getting the NHL starter.
Agree with most of this.

CBJ: Mason, Vokoun
Springfield: Dekanich (singed to a two way deal), York

05-22-2012, 02:51 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

1. Will Vokoun want to play in Columbus?
2. Will we give a chance to Mason?
3. Will another goalie be aivalable? We arent the only team who find a goalie. Tampa, Devils, Pittsburgh (the number 2), maybe Philla (the number 2)
4. Will somebody offer us a goalie for Nash?

If the news from Russia are right, Vasilevskiy will play in NA in the next season.

Old
05-22-2012, 03:13 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Vokoun, Mason
Sanford, York

Old
05-22-2012, 03:32 PM
Xoggz22

Trade for a goalie that's ready to take on more of a workload (low to mid 20's if possible)
Sign Ellis or Harding to take the lead (we need to have a 1B to go with either of these)
Draft Dansk (mid to late 1st or early 2nd) and Houser (3rd)
Sign Dex to a 2-way
Let Mason compete in camp and if no good waive him during the buy out window so he can be bought out (I think a window exists for this during or at the end of camp)

Old
05-22-2012, 03:32 PM
Roadman
Moving On

I think the interests of both parties are best served by cutting ties with Mason altogether.

But if he remains it should be in Springfield and brought up only in the case of emergency, (God forbid that should happen again). 4th option. Sanford is an option pending his physical condition. There were questions as to whether he would be able to come back at all as serious as the groin problem was. And then there is his back. Not a super option but he did perform well until circumstances over extended him.

Harding/ Vokun Via FA pick up
#1 Options (one of)
Neimi/ Thomas/ Other Via Trade

Dekanich/ Sanford/ Other #2/SPR (Two of, One of if Mason stays)

Mason ??????

York/Dainton/Corbeil SPR ECHL (York & one)

Draft at least one Back to Juniors

Forsberg Sweden

I post, therefore I am.
Old
05-22-2012, 03:33 PM
RBarRegular

Deal Mason even if we have to take a simiarly bad contract back in return. I hate the notion of paying $2.9 million for a backup goalie or an AHLer. Provided he's healthy, offer Sanford 1 year, $1 million and I think he'll sign. Pursue Vokoun for a 2 year contract. Draft your goalie of the future in June.

Old
05-22-2012, 03:40 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

I see goalies the same way as running backs in the NFL. They're more dependent than other positions out there on the players around them, and it's possible that a lightly-regarded prospect ends up substantially better than the 2nd-, 3rd-, or 4th-best prospect at the position.

The exceptions are the true obvious franchise guys: Luongo when he was drafted, and Trent Richardson this year.

With that in mind, I wouldn't burn a first- or second-rounder on a goalie. Or a 4th-rounder. 5th and later, but that's about it.

Old
05-22-2012, 04:20 PM
thrillermiller89

i've read that vokoun is going to play in Europe next year... not sure if it's true. but he had a pretty bad groin tear, not sure he'd be of much use.

i think josh harding is the best UFA and the trade market is pretty thin....

Old
05-22-2012, 04:35 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillermiller89 View Post
i've read that vokoun is going to play in Europe next year... sorry I dont have a link
Since the initial report was made and then denied, there's been nothing said on the matter. Players are free to sign overseas pretty much whenever they want, so if a team is interested and made an offer but Vokoun hasn't signed, I'd imagine that he'll wait until July to do so. Basically, if he gets an NHL offer, he'll sign with that team...if not, he'll go overseas.

Old
05-22-2012, 04:49 PM
redsfanhere2*

if they keep mason they should just play six scorers

Old
05-22-2012, 05:03 PM
FANonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
I see goalies the same way as running backs in the NFL. They're more dependent than other positions out there on the players around them, and it's possible that a lightly-regarded prospect ends up substantially better than the 2nd-, 3rd-, or 4th-best prospect at the position.

The exceptions are the true obvious franchise guys: Luongo when he was drafted, and Trent Richardson this year.

With that in mind, I wouldn't burn a first- or second-rounder on a goalie. Or a 4th-rounder. 5th and later, but that's about it.
Don't get me started...

Old
05-22-2012, 05:11 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

I love polls!
But don't like this one.
There are several reasonable options which could play out, and the poll doesn't allow me to pick several: trading, the Nash option, Luongo, etc. The only UN-reasonable option is to end up with a turd in goal.

Plus the poll didn't include my favorite choice:

Old
05-22-2012, 05:11 PM
JacketsFanWest

I'd go with:

1) Sign a UFA. Someone dependable and who's a step up from Sanford. Harding maybe?

2) Resign Sanford

3) Sign an up & coming goalie to a 2-way deal as Springfield's starter and potential heir apparent. Someone like Dekanich.

4) Draft Oscar Dansk.

5) Sign Corbeil or a free agent prospect for ECHL duty.

6) Trade Mason to whatever team will take him. If no one will, see if there's a KHL team in Siberia he can be loaned to.

Old
05-22-2012, 06:15 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

sign Harding
sign dex to 2 way deal
draft whoever we can in second round...if we get 2 of the 3...awesome...
we need some depth and reliability...

Old
05-22-2012, 06:28 PM
kshymkiw

Send a message via AIM to kshymkiw
Draft Vasilevski over Subban by a mile.

Old
05-22-2012, 06:34 PM
jacks johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshymkiw View Post
Maybe , but I seriously doubt the jackets take a russian, at a position of dire need going forward, so he can bolt to khl. No thanks

Old
05-22-2012, 06:41 PM
jacks johnson

Ideally , I would like to trade for rask, Schneider, or bernier. Masons days in cbus are over, Springfield, or bust. Resign dekanich, last year is first year with injury problems, he has alot of potential, and could be a back up this season. Maybe he plays lights out and we have an asset many teams will covet ?

Draft a goalie with la pick , or our first of second round. We need to really beef up our talent at this position

Old
05-22-2012, 07:19 PM
FlaggerX

Don't resign Sanford outside a 2-way deal. He has a bad injury history. Remember he was hurt at the beginning of the season too. He won't be able to make it through a full season. Healthy he can do the job but the smart bet is he'll spend half the season on IR.

My other inclination is to buy out Mason but that leaves a problem. York is just fine, but he needs to spend more time in the minors. No way around it, and I'd even like it at the ECHL so long as he gets #1 time. I don't want him ruined the way Mason was by coming up too quickly. I remember we had no choice when we brought Mason up. We can't afford that again. That means we need three goalies in front of York.

I have no problem resigning Dex on a two way contract, but he has to start in the minors to get his game back to par before he comes up. He understands he let us down, and he probably won't get an NHL job faster anywhere else, which should make him amenable to bargaining.

I suspect we're going to have to go for both UFAs and a trade to get what we need.

Old
05-22-2012, 07:22 PM
JacketsFanWest

Quote:
Vasilevski has the KHL problem.

Subban's less than stellar U18 tournament and history of groin injuries are a concern. But he likely goes before the Jackets' 2nd round pick (or LA's pick).

Dansk is the lowest risk. He previously played at Shattuck-St. Mary's prep school but left to work with coaches in Sweden. He's very well coached but that's maybe not a good thing. He's not like a very raw player who has so much more potential once he gets proper coaching. He's a kid whose parents have sent him to every coach, camp, goalie school even boarding school in the US to get him to be an NHL goalie. He may not have the highest ceiling and isn't flashy, but he's steady, has good size, technical skills and should have no problem adjusting to NHL size rinks.

Old
05-22-2012, 08:00 PM
OnYourIgnoreList

My preferred solution would be:
1. Deal LA's number 1 back to them for Bernier. He's only got one year left on contract, so I think LA will be willing to play, esp with the way the play offs have gone for them.

2. Sign Dekanich to a one-year, two-way.

3. Draft the highest rated goalie available in the second round, presuming it's one of Hertl, Dansk or Subban (don't do it just to do it, IOW).

4. As part of the Nash deal, insist on one piece being a prospect goalie. Although, when you look at the teams rumored to be in the running, the goalie prospect pickings look really slim.

5. Sign Vokoun to a two-year deal. Frontload the first year so that if we want to get out from under it, we can cheaply buyout or trade him. However, he seems questionable so maybe just bring back Sanford on a one-year.

I think I'd try to get Hunwick in the org too for a year, ECHL level just to see if he can make the leap.

Bernier as the de facto starter at the beginning of the season, Vokoun/Sanford as back-up. York and Dex available for call-up, with one of them hopefully to be elevated to back-up year after next.

Old
05-22-2012, 09:08 PM
Xoggz22

Quote:
Dansk over both

Old
05-22-2012, 09:36 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post

I equate goalies with quarterbacks.. a position that can win games almost single handedly at times...

As JF said, this poll is difficult due to the many possibilities... as for signing a free agent starting goalie the pool of free agents for this position is not that great. I think a trade for the appropriate goalie is the only way to go, but in a separate trade from Nash. However, if the perfect goalie is included in the Nash trade I'm ok with it.

As for Mason, I have suggested keeping him for backup in the past but I don't think the organization is going to keep him, too much bad karma... I'm more than ok if they dump him one way or another.

Keep Sanford for backup.

Closed Thread