HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

What are the Predators going to do?

Old
07-13-2012, 10:38 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoingItLeBlancWay View Post
I think Wilson is set for a breakout year, on defense they still have Blum/Ellis to continue to mature and ease the hefty loss of suter.. They should make the playoffs but Dallas/Minnesota will be knocking on the door.
If Blum can come in and play like he did in 2011 it will be awesome. Josi looked even better than Blum last year. A stop-gap, second pairing (or, better yet, first pairing vet) would go a long way to keeping the team very competitive. Mix in some progress from the young guys up front (and a 1C because I like wishful thinking) and this Predators team is still pretty damn good.

Like I said, I don't see why people are freaking out as if Poile did something outrageous. He gambled on keeping a great player, and he lost. It happens all of the time without teams going down, and if there is any team in the league people should have learned to stop counting out it's Nashville.

Is there a possibility that Nashville is terrible next year? Definitely. Weber could leave. The return might not be beneficial for years to come, if at all. Rinne could prove to be overrated once he isn't behind Weber/Suter. Etc.

Is there a possibility that Nashville continues to shock people? Definitely.

This is why we watch the games, fellas.

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:53 PM
vanwest

It's too bad as they looked like a team on the rise. But they took a huge step back losing Suter this year for nothing. They'll still be in the playoff mix as Trotz is a great coach and they won't be outworked and have great goaltending. It will certainly not be as daunting facing them without the Weber-Suter pairing though.

vanwest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:20 AM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
Gaustad and Gill were both huge overpayments
Both of them re-signed with the team. They were not rentals!!! Name me one player they could have taken with the 21st and 51st pick that would have helped them in the playoffs last season or this up-coming season.

Gnashville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 01:20 AM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
I really don't see how. If he ends up letting Weber walk for nothing, as well, that's going to be something that's rightfully subject of discussion, but in this year's situation with Suter, it was basically a non-starter, all things considered.
If he lets Weber walk after Suter and Parise this summer he should be fired. I hope he has learned his lesson - that is you don't sign a RFA to a 1 year contract just so they can play the UFA market next year. Poile needs to make Weber an offer and give him a deadline. And if they don't agree than trade him.

That said, I think Weber will resign and it will be multi-year deal. Suter filed for arbitration because he was given a lowballed offer by Poile. Weber did not file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Jonsson View Post
Gaustad for a 1st is pretty brutal IMO. That's just me though.
Value was questionable with that trade. But Poile did get 2 2nd rounders by dealing Lindback to restock the cupboard.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 01:33 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

What Nashville does depends entirely on Weber.

If he signs long-term, life is grand and they'll be right back in the thick of things.

If he doesn't sign long-term, he needs to be traded and the team rebuilt.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 01:37 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
While I do think that poster is being a bit overzealous. Hamhuis has vastly improved with the Canucks, to the point you could legitimately argue he is a "poor man's #1 and a phenomenal #2-3." Granted, this is if you utilize him properly. Hamhuis will never put up offense, nor should you expect it. He can quarterback a powerplay and is a stabilizing force as evident by his presence on Vancouver's first unit finally getting them in sync. Frankly, he has built Bieska into a whole better player since coming here.

Nevertheless, Nashville should have traded him at the deadline. He had made it well known Vancouver was his preference but they kept him on as a rental.
Bob McKenzie after the 2010 trade deadline: "Nashville's best move of the day? Not trading Dan Hamhuis."

Good teams don't trade away their top players admist a playoff run. They trade FOR players.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 01:43 AM
Duffman955

I think the preds should take a run at semin. They have cap space and their forwards need a massive upgrade in skill.

They also have good prospect depth which may allow them to trade for B.Ryan

Duffman955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 03:01 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

I can't predict what will happen, but I'm along for the ride. If Weber doesn't sign long term by training camp, Poile better trade him for a king's ransom. I can handle a rebuild. The worst part is knowing this team is/was close. Teams usually don't rebuild after making the 2nd round. I guess a retool is more accurate though. If Weber re-signs, I think we need to go after Jay Bouwmeester to ease to loss of Suter. Also, go after Semin. If both of those things did actually happen, this season might not be too bad afterall.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 03:28 AM
Plowevelski
:-)) Torres Fan Club

Rick NASHville

Plowevelski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 09:25 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Funny thing is, people ***** and whine about Nashville's forwards but the team was #8th in the league offensively. #1 PP.

Forward wise, Nashville has ONE spot open.

Defense is where they are hurting. Losing Suter was a kick to the crotch while the kicker was wearing a skate with a pick up front.

Nashville HAS to sign Weber. Back up 6 Brinks trucks and give him the LAST 12 year deal. I personally can live with

Weber-Josi
Klein-Blum
Gill-Ellis
?

As for the available cash, Nashville's ownership flat out said they will spend to max. How a changing CBA will **** things up is a new question.

Nashville has WAY too much money and they need to spend it to get to the floor.

(IF the ownership sticks with 8 to the floor 8 to the cap.)

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 09:31 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tututooter21 View Post
Hahaha Hamhuis is most defintly more than that, hes a #2 at worst
After seeing him several games in round 1, he'd be #1 on some teams...like the Wild.

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 09:32 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Funny thing is, people ***** and whine about Nashville's forwards but the team was #8th in the league offensively. #1 PP.

Forward wise, Nashville has ONE spot open.

Defense is where they are hurting. Losing Suter was a kick to the crotch while the kicker was wearing a skate with a pick up front.

Nashville HAS to sign Weber. Back up 6 Brinks trucks and give him the LAST 12 year deal. I personally can live with

Weber-Josi
Klein-Blum
Gill-Ellis
?

As for the available cash, Nashville's ownership flat out said they will spend to max. How a changing CBA will **** things up is a new question.

Nashville has WAY too much money and they need to spend it to get to the floor.

(IF the ownership sticks with 8 to the floor 8 to the cap.)
Maybe Semin?

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 09:48 AM
kivaerijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redarmynative View Post
Kostitsyn - Fisher - Hornqvist
Erat - Legwand - Smith
Spaling - Wilson - Halischuk
Bourque - Gaustad - Yip

Josi - Weber
Gill - Klein
Ellis - Blum

Rinne
Mason

Trade Ellis for a top four left handed defenseman.
Minus suter, that is basically the same team we ha last year during regular season. Got rid of tootoo and picked up yip (upgrade on Ice), and guastad replacing smithson (= or an upgrade even though overpaid).

We will be fine this year. This has turned into a what do you do about weber thread which there are hundreds of already. As far as what the team does this year though? Possibly nothing. And then we will all see how important suter was. could be huge and we don't make the playoffs, could be minimal and we still are 5-4 in conference. My guess is somewhere in between and we still fight for a playoff spot.

Maybe this year trotz finally wins COY and poile wins GMOY...think we will be ok. But thanks for the concern out there.

kivaerijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:00 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
If he lets Weber walk after Suter and Parise this summer he should be fired. I hope he has learned his lesson - that is you don't sign a RFA to a 1 year contract just so they can play the UFA market next year. Poile needs to make Weber an offer and give him a deadline. And if they don't agree than trade him.

That said, I think Weber will resign and it will be multi-year deal. Suter filed for arbitration because he was given a lowballed offer by Poile. Weber did not file.

Value was questionable with that trade. But Poile did get 2 2nd rounders by dealing Lindback to restock the cupboard.
Suter never filed for arbitration, and I'm not sure where the low ball offer info is coming from.

Old
07-14-2012, 06:09 PM
blueandgoldguy

Nashville better hope somebody steps up at center. Not even a legit 50 point scorer at center. They have depth there, but it certainly cannot be described as elite. In fact, they may have the poorest #1 center in the league.

blueandgoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 06:14 PM
Firestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Nashville better hope somebody steps up at center. Not even a legit 50 point scorer at center. They have depth there, but it certainly cannot be described as elite. In fact, they may have the poorest #1 center in the league.
I disagree, look at Phoenix or Buffalo.

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 06:40 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Not that I disagree with the idea of the Predators needing a better center to take over top line duties, but Legwand and Fisher both finished top 30 in scoring among centers last season with 53 and 51 points, respectively.

Old
07-14-2012, 06:59 PM
ZetterBurger

If you think you have a good shot at re-signing a player you don't trade his rights away no matter what unless you decide you don't want them. Seeing that Poille and Weber both were shocked that Suter left and that they had no idea until it was announced just goes to show how long they were in it.

Some of these posts are just asinine. Some of you think that if a player is a pending UFA and you don't get a draft pick for their rights then the GM has done a horrible job. What about re-signing the player? If you trade someone why would they come crawling back to you? Get real.

ZetterBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 07:17 PM
Spitsfan67*

Ellis sounds like a lock this year on the Preds, Coach really seems to like Ellis and how he plays... This guy will be ready soon to fill Suters shoes.

Spitsfan67* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 09:18 PM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
It's pretty easy to play armchair GM with hindsight at your disposal, but if you're telling me you don't try everything you can to keep what could have gone down as the best defensive pairing in the history of the league then I think you give up too easily.
Whoa... The best defensive pairing in the history of the league????

Give your head a shake, they might be upper echelon in this watered down league, but they're not even close to being the best defensive pairing in the history of the league.

Some that would be much better off the top of my head: Robinson and Lapointe, Pronger and MacInnis, Niedermayer and Stevens, Chelios and Suter, anyone who played with Pronger or Harvey....

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 09:50 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
Dan Hamhuis is a number 2 at the very worst and a GREAT first pairing shut down d-man.

You preds fans are just spoiled and you need to stop disrespecting Hamhuis right now, he's a steal at 4.5
if you keep this up you might be Tosh.O's new replacement.

Preds fans are spoiled? we had the best pairing in the league. Now we don't. Hamhuis was a number 3 dman on our team. Easy as that. If he doesn't compare to weber or suter, who are number one dmans, then that means Hamhuis is a couple tiers down from a number one. Simple logic. But i guess i can see how you see that as spoiled. lol

On topic:

The preds will retain weber and Poile will do his thing and making us a perennial playoff team. Unlike most teams on this board. Losing Suter isn't as bad as most think. Poile won't lose Weber for nothing. He had to keep suter.. what GM would break up Weber-Suter-Rinne. None. time will make half these posts look mental.

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 09:55 PM
NuxFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantBeatMyPekka View Post
if you keep this up you might be Tosh.O's new replacement.

Preds fans are spoiled? we had the best pairing in the league. Now we don't. Hamhuis was a number 3 dman on our team. Easy as that. If he doesn't compare to weber or suter, who are number one dmans, then that means Hamhuis is a couple tiers down from a number one. Simple logic. But i guess i can see how you see that as spoiled. lol

On topic:

The preds will retain weber and Poile will do his thing and making us a perennial playoff team. Unlike most teams on this board. Losing Suter isn't as bad as most think. Poile won't lose Weber for nothing. He had to keep suter.. what GM would break up Weber-Suter-Rinne. None. time will make half these posts look mental.
That's the whole point. The only reason Hamhuis was a #3 defenseman on your team is because you had Suter-Weber. I think people understand that on the Predators Hamhuis was the #3 guy. They're just saying that overall he's not a #3, 2nd pairing defenseman. It's the same as saying Malkin is Pittsburgh's #2 centre but he's sure as hell not a 2nd line centre.

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 09:56 PM
ZetterBurger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
Whoa... The best defensive pairing in the history of the league????

Give your head a shake, they might be upper echelon in this watered down league, but they're not even close to being the best defensive pairing in the history of the league.

Some that would be much better off the top of my head: Robinson and Lapointe, Pronger and MacInnis, Niedermayer and Stevens, Chelios and Suter, anyone who played with Pronger or Harvey....
Suter and Weber could've played together for another ten years or more. Who knows what they could've accomplished together. They definitely had the potential to become the best pairing ever. Give your head a shake.

Old
07-14-2012, 09:59 PM
ZetterBurger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Not that I disagree with the idea of the Predators needing a better center to take over top line duties, but Legwand and Fisher both finished top 30 in scoring among centers last season with 53 and 51 points, respectively.
I agree. Having two stud #2 centers isn't necessarily worse then having one elite center. In fact most teams with an elite center cannot win, or even make the playoffs, because it's just as hard to get that complimentary #2 center.

An upgrade at center would be great for the Preds, but they have other needs as well and still have one of the deepest teams in the league.

Old
07-14-2012, 09:59 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezzator View Post
That's the whole point. The only reason Hamhuis was a #3 defenseman on your team is because you had Suter-Weber. I think people understand that on the Predators Hamhuis was the #3 guy. They're just saying that overall he's not a #3, 2nd pairing defenseman. It's the same as saying Malkin is Pittsburgh's #2 centre but he's sure as hell not a 2nd line centre.
no it isn't. it only shows how rare a true number one is. Hamhuis is not a number one. Like said earlier maybe on a lesser team like the Wild. But on defensively strong teams he is only a top 4..

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote