HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

What are the Predators going to do?

Old
07-14-2012, 11:03 PM
NuxFan09

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetterBurger View Post
I agree. Having two stud #2 centers isn't necessarily worse then having one elite center. In fact most teams with an elite center cannot win, or even make the playoffs, because it's just as hard to get that complimentary #2 center.

An upgrade at center would be great for the Preds, but they have other needs as well and still have one of the deepest teams in the league.
No they don't. You absolutely cannot say with a straight face that the Predators' forward core, hell, their team in general, is one of the deepest in the league. Come on, man.

I think they have a very deep system. For sure. But a lot of those promising young players and prospects have to establish themselves before you start calling the Predators one of the deepest teams in the league.

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 11:06 PM
Dylonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tututooter21 View Post
Hahaha Hamhuis is most defintly more than that, hes a #2 at worst
I'd love to hear your argument on how Hamhuis is a #1.

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 11:10 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezzator View Post
No they don't. You absolutely cannot say with a straight face that the Predators' forward core, hell, their team in general, is one of the deepest in the league. Come on, man.

I think they have a very deep system. For sure. But a lot of those promising young players and prospects have to establish themselves before you start calling the Predators one of the deepest teams in the league.
the predators forward core that was 8th in the league offensively with the number one power play? Yeah its pretty weak.

perception does not equal reality.

CalleJAMkrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 11:11 PM
DatsyukOwns
Hero

Even though Suter was a huge loss, Suter's place can be filled. Try to sign semin, try trading for a defencemen to play with Weber if not, play Josi with Weber. They still have Rhinne which is huge, if they lose Weber somebody will give them a king ransom for him and they can start rebuilding. The Preds have showed in the past they can draft well and develop well. They will be fine and I hope they sign weber long time because the franchise deserves it.

DatsyukOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 11:14 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Preds could very well end up not missing suter all that much relative their stats/standing last year. got new guys pitching in. Detroit looks a lot worse IMO (the off season is young...) so you can steal points from them.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 11:16 PM
John Swartzwelder
MOAR TUFFNESS!!!1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
Hamhuis wanted too much money for what he is, a 3/4 defender. When we traded his rights away, we used the picks to get Shane O'Brien, a serviceable D-man for us for a year. So it's not nothing.

The return we would have got for Suter would not have been worth it compared to what Suter was worth to us in the playoffs. It's a risk that most GMs would have taken and posters here acknowledge that you do not trade away your best players on the verge of the playoff run.
nope

John Swartzwelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 11:18 PM
Ashley

Hope they can sign Weber

Last edited by Ashley: 07-15-2012 at 02:10 AM. Reason: lol
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 11:18 PM
CalebWhitley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
If Blum can come in and play like he did in 2011 it will be awesome. Josi looked even better than Blum last year. A stop-gap, second pairing (or, better yet, first pairing vet) would go a long way to keeping the team very competitive. Mix in some progress from the young guys up front (and a 1C because I like wishful thinking) and this Predators team is still pretty damn good.

Like I said, I don't see why people are freaking out as if Poile did something outrageous. He gambled on keeping a great player, and he lost. It happens all of the time without teams going down, and if there is any team in the league people should have learned to stop counting out it's Nashville.

Is there a possibility that Nashville is terrible next year? Definitely. Weber could leave. The return might not be beneficial for years to come, if at all. Rinne could prove to be overrated once he isn't behind Weber/Suter. Etc.

Is there a possibility that Nashville continues to shock people? Definitely.

This is why we watch the games, fellas.

Excellent post! agree with everything said here

CalebWhitley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 11:19 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Swartzwelder View Post
nope
so if he couldn't unseat suter or weber for a spot on the top pairing, HOW could he possibly be a number one? You have to PLAY like a number one to BE a number one.

sorry folks (nucks fans), no one is hating on hammer, but he isn't this defensive cornerstone all nucks fans are claiming him to be.

CalleJAMkrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 11:33 PM
NuxFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantBeatMyPekka View Post
the predators forward core that was 8th in the league offensively with the number one power play? Yeah its pretty weak.

perception does not equal reality.
I didn't say it was weak. I said it's not deep. Hey, like I said earlier in this thread, I'm kind of a fan of the Predators and I like how the organization operates so I'm not trying to troll. I'm just calling a spade a spade. When I look at the Predators roster right now, the first word that comes to mind isn't exactly "deep". I see four borderline top 6 forwards - Legwand, Erat, Fisher, Hornqvist - and a bunch of scrubs - Gaustad, Spaling, Yip, Halischuk, McGratton - and two young forwards with promise but are not at all estasblished top 6 forwards yet - Smith and Bourque.

On the blueline is where fans of every team are jealous. You've still got Weber. You've got Josi for whom I've heard the sky is the limit in terms of potential. On top of that, you've still got two 1st round picks in the system in Jon Blum and Ryan Ellis and the reigning SEL defenseman of the year - Mattias Ekholm - coming to North America. No complaints there.

Old
07-14-2012, 11:53 PM
featherhawk

the preds will continue to be one of the best coached teams, they will stay in 80% of games due to playing a good system and having a great goaltender, they will score in the middle of the pack and be in the playoff hunt...

not sure why the OP made the thread....

featherhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 12:06 AM
NuxFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbbearcats View Post
the preds will continue to be one of the best coached teams, they will stay in 80% of games due to playing a good system and having a great goaltender, they will score in the middle of the pack and be in the playoff hunt...

not sure why the OP made the thread....
Because there are several questions. I realize the Predators have established themselves as a club that is capable of overcoming the odds and staying competitive but it doesn't mean there aren't questions after Suter left and Radulov and A. Kostitsyn bombed and with Weber's status and commitment to the team long term up in the air.

Old
07-15-2012, 12:45 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
Whoa... The best defensive pairing in the history of the league????

Give your head a shake, they might be upper echelon in this watered down league, but they're not even close to being the best defensive pairing in the history of the league.

Some that would be much better off the top of my head: Robinson and Lapointe, Pronger and MacInnis, Niedermayer and Stevens, Chelios and Suter, anyone who played with Pronger or Harvey....
I think you missed the part where I said "could have", as in, "it was possible". We'll never know.

I'll keep my head still, thanks

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 12:48 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Because there are several questions. I realize the Predators have established themselves as a club that is capable of overcoming the odds and staying competitive but it doesn't mean there aren't questions after Suter left and Radulov and A. Kostitsyn bombed and with Weber's status and commitment to the team long term up in the air.
I'm not really sure Radulov and AK bombing in the second round of the playoffs is going to be very detrimental. AK was only here for a little while, and Radulov an even shorter time.

The question to be asked after Suter's departure is, "who helps eat minutes on the blueline?" Obviously it would have been better to keep Suter than to wait for an answer to that question, but it isn't an end-all-be-all question. Though if Weber is traded all of that could change (depending on the return, and what happens after).

There are definitely questions about the Preds, as with many teams, but I think the high profile nature of Suter's departure mixed with the anticipation of what happens with Weber is blowing a lot of this out of proportion. Maybe I'm wrong. I hope I'm not.

Old
07-15-2012, 01:10 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
I didn't say it was weak. I said it's not deep. Hey, like I said earlier in this thread, I'm kind of a fan of the Predators and I like how the organization operates so I'm not trying to troll. I'm just calling a spade a spade. When I look at the Predators roster right now, the first word that comes to mind isn't exactly "deep". I see four borderline top 6 forwards - Legwand, Erat, Fisher, Hornqvist - and a bunch of scrubs - Gaustad, Spaling, Yip, Halischuk, McGratton - and two young forwards with promise but are not at all estasblished top 6 forwards yet - Smith and Bourque.

On the blueline is where fans of every team are jealous. You've still got Weber. You've got Josi for whom I've heard the sky is the limit in terms of potential. On top of that, you've still got two 1st round picks in the system in Jon Blum and Ryan Ellis and the reigning SEL defenseman of the year - Mattias Ekholm - coming to North America. No complaints there.
Your list is missing Wilson and Kostitsyn. Also, they are likely to add another forward sometime this offseason, depending on what Weber does. They're not as deep as last year, but they are close. Before the trade deadline, I forget the exact stat but it was something like the first team in the league to have 8 forwards in double digit goals. The depth is there, just no top end talent.

The defense looks promising and has plenty of potential, but as a whole in terms of present talent it's pretty shallow and weak.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 06:53 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 0
Quote:

They had something like 8 or 9 10 goal scorers, top of the league.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 07:20 AM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Swartzwelder View Post
nope
At the time in Nashville he was. He wasn't going to leapfrog either Weber or Suter. That'd make him the #3.

Mafoofoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 08:25 AM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

Why do you think they have Ryan Ellis... him and Weber would be unstoppable

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 08:47 AM
SphinX
YouWantSome?

I've gone all this time thinking Weber was UFA next year, but all of a sudden he is RFA with expiring contract now.

*Confused*

SphinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 08:56 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJet View Post
Why do you think they have Ryan Ellis... him and Weber would be unstoppable
Yeah, in a game of shinny.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:01 AM
tony d
ATD 2015

If I was Nashville I'd make sure I had Weber signed before the season started to a new contract. Keeping both Weber and Rinne wouldn't be that bad a thing.

07-15-2012, 11:39 AM
TimtheDJ84*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetterBurger View Post
Suter and Weber could've played together for another ten years or more. Who knows what they could've accomplished together. They definitely had the potential to become the best pairing ever. Give your head a shake.
Not close to best ever.

TimtheDJ84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 11:59 AM
xX Hot Fuss

I don't get why GMs get blamed for players leaving via free agency.

Sure, GMs can't just throw their hands in the air with every UFA on their team but it's clear that Suter wanted to play in Minnesota. For all we know he's dreamt of that moment his whole life. Why is that Poile's fault?

I think he made a really ballzy move trading his 1st for Gaustad. It reinforced to everyone in NSH and in the NHL that the Preds want to win a cup.

xX Hot Fuss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 12:05 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Yeah, in a game of shinny.
You do realize Ryan Ellis looked pretty good in his rookie season in the NHL, right? His size didn't seem to hinder him much. In fact, he didn't shy away from physical play, though he isn't powerful enough to make a huge impact in that regard. His vision allowed him to see plays develop on both ends of the ice. Granted, he played protected minutes on the third pairing, but pretty much all rookies will play protected minutes. I don't think he's going to be a top pairing guy, but to write him off is ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheDJ84 View Post
Not close to best ever.
Since we're seeing into the future of hypothetical situations, do you also have the lottery numbers that will win IF the next set of lottery numbers aren't bought by anyone?

We're talking about two guys entering their prime who have already proven to be a force on the ice. Had Suter stayed it wouldn't exactly be a stretch to think they would only improve as they got older. It's funny. Some people are saying they "could" have been, while leaving room to be wrong. The people opposed are saying "absolutely not!" with great confidence seen only on the internet.

Old
07-15-2012, 12:11 PM
nwaZ

Poile shouldn't have signed Rinne.

nwaZ is offline   Reply With Quote