HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks 2012 Prospect Rankings - #1

View Poll Results: Who is the Canucks #1 Prospect?
Zach Kassian 149 64.78%
Niclas Jensen 62 26.96%
Brendan Gaunce 3 1.30%
Eddie Lack 10 4.35%
Joe Cannata 0 0%
Jordan Schroeder 3 1.30%
Anton Rodin 0 0%
Alexandre Mallet 0 0%
Kevin Connauton 1 0.43%
Yann Sauve 0 0%
Joseph Labate 0 0%
Bill Sweatt 0 0%
Patrick McNally 0 0%
Alex Friesen 0 0%
Frankie Corrado 2 0.87%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-14-2012, 03:53 AM
denkiteki

vCash: 500
Its really a 2 horse race (voted ZK). But an interesting option that should be added - prospect we get in Luongo's trade. There's a good chance the unknown prospect from the trade could be the best 'nuck prospect come training camp.

denkiteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 04:18 AM
B-rock

Kassian, and it's not even close.

It's ridiculous that year after year people expect a prospect to come in and light the league on fire. Kassian looked very good in his time up in the NHL. No, he didn't go on a hot streak, but he was clearly serviceable.

Just because a kid doesn't dominate in his first stint in the NHL doesn't indicate that he will do nothing from there on out.

People were ready to throw Hodgson in the trash after his first season. Then he got some points in his 2nd season and he was the 2nd coming of Gretzky. I expect the same thing will happen with Kassian. Too bad some people don't understand the meaning of prospect and the time it takes to develop.

B-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 04:22 AM
The Horvatian One
228 LBS of Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatley View Post
Voted for Jensen. That guy's going to be a good hockey player. Still not sure about Kassian. He seems too dumb.
Because you're so bright for making a comment like this against a player?

The Horvatian One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 04:33 AM
billvanseattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kassian Train View Post
Because you're so bright for making a comment like this against a player?
voted Jensen, but there are lots of good arguments for Kassian and Lack. Think Lack would be getting more votes if the Nuckers were not suprisingly deep in goal right now. If a team were really in need of goaltending (TML for example) Lack would likely be no. 1.

Gaunce and Schroeder might out shine given time. Also think Mallet will suprise in a year or 2.

billvanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 04:38 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
Zack Kassian.

He's not a prospect, but he has to be our #1 young player without a ton of NHL experience right now.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 09:01 AM
Mitts McCann

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-rock View Post
Kassian, and it's not even close.

It's ridiculous that year after year people expect a prospect to come in and light the league on fire. Kassian looked very good in his time up in the NHL. No, he didn't go on a hot streak, but he was clearly serviceable.

Just because a kid doesn't dominate in his first stint in the NHL doesn't indicate that he will do nothing from there on out.

People were ready to throw Hodgson in the trash after his first season. Then he got some points in his 2nd season and he was the 2nd coming of Gretzky. I expect the same thing will happen with Kassian. Too bad some people don't understand the meaning of prospect and the time it takes to develop.
Very true. Even this year I thought the fans were getting a little out of hand with Hodgson. You could still see how weak he was in certain aspects of the game. I think Kassian will be an all around force. He's got finish, playmaking ability and is better defensively. He's also faster...As much as everyone around the league and Canucks fans thinks Gillis dropped the ball, Kassian is going to have more of an impact. Jensen is no slouch though.... I think he makes the NHL this year.

Mitts McCann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 09:47 AM
Bitz and Bites

Going with Kassian here as he's tops in both being NHL ready now and having the highest ceiling as being a highly skilled power forward with snarl which is such a rare combination.

My view is the Jensen vs Kassian debate on potential upside is like who would you prefer on the team,Bertuzzi in his prime or Martin Havlat? Both would be great options but Bertuzzi was such a force in his day that you gotta go with that.

Bitz and Bites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 11:23 AM
RunYouOutOfTheRink
Unregistered User

Kassian is running away with this one.

RunYouOutOfTheRink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:55 PM
valkyrie42ca

Voted Kassian, has the most potential to have the biggest impact on games. He is a prospect still at this point,just seems like he shouldn't be due to size.

valkyrie42ca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 01:05 PM
medhatcanuck

Voted haydar, jj. On iPhone can't vote

1. Jensen
2. Kassian
3. Lack
4. Gaunce
5. Connauton
6. Schroeder
7. Sweatt
8. Sauve
9. McNally
10. Friesen

medhatcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 02:36 PM
RunYouOutOfTheRink
Unregistered User

I think McNally is our top defensive prospect. Highest offensive potential, strong upbringing, intelligent, leadership qualities, a 6'2 frame, good skater. I'd rank him at 6, behind:

1. Kassian
2. Jensen
3. Shroeder
4. Gaunce
5. Lack

Many will say Connauton > McNally, but I don't see it. Take away Connauton's PP one-timer, and your left with Taylor Ellington.

RunYouOutOfTheRink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 02:39 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyCommercial View Post
It's about that time again.

Say which prospect you want added.

I've assumed that Tanev and Weise are no longer prospects, correct me if i'm wrong.
By HF's cutoff, Weise has graduated. Tanev is one game short, which I think we can safely overlook.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 02:48 PM
parabola
BOlieve dat

It's Kassian. It isn't close either.

parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 02:51 PM
Dr Awesome
Bo "knows" Horvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatley View Post
Voted for Jensen. That guy's going to be a good hockey player. Still not sure about Kassian. He seems too dumb.
When hockey season gets into full swing all one as to do is go to the Penthouse to find Kassian. You can find out for yourself.

Dr Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 02:54 PM
Coconuts

Kassian right now is the best. But to me these polls are all about predicting who will have the best NHL career when all is said and done. Jensen gets the slight edge for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectProphet View Post
Many will say Connauton > McNally, but I don't see it. Take away Connauton's PP one-timer, and your left with Taylor Ellington.
Don't forget that Connauton is a very strong skater. I don't know enough about his defensive play, but he earned a lot of praise from his coach last season and has apparently improved a lot. If he played with Tanev, I'm sure that didn't hurt either.

Coconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 03:03 PM
AmazingNuck

Kassian is the face of what Gillis is trying to mould our team into- young, mean, skilled and big. If he, Jensen and Gaunce turn out:

Jensen-Gaunce-Kassian will be a beastly second line.

Kassian, Gaunce, Jensen, Lack, Schroeder, McNally, Corrrado, Rodin, Mallet -> actual chance of making NHL (not my rankings)

Rest: Non-prospects. Will likely never stick in the big show. I include Connauton. Of course, I hope I'm wrong.

AmazingNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 03:07 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

My list:

1. Lack
2. Kassian
3. Jensen
4. Schroeder
5. Gaunce
6. Connauton
7. McNally
8. Sauve
9. Corrado
10. Labate
11. Rodin
12. Mallet
13. Cannata
14. Friesen
15. Polasek
16. Price
17. Archibald
18. Grenier
19. Hutton
20. Beattie

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 03:41 PM
thefeebster

I don't think its fair to say AINEC that Kassian is better. Kassian should be #1, but Jensen is not that far behind.

Interesting list Lick. What's got you down on Corrado? I feel he has a higher potential than Tanev and isn't that far off from him right now despite being 3 years younger. He's my #1 for defensive prospects.

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 03:50 PM
denkiteki

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindgren View Post
I voted for Lack. Jensen and Kassian both have a good shot at being very good top six forwards. I think Lack has a real shot at being elite. I can easily see the argument against him as the top prospect; it's tough to predict goalies and if there's a real chance he could excel, there's also a real chance he'll bust. But that top-end potential does it for me.
I was thinking about voting for Lack but age factor came into play there. Altho Lack is a rookie, he is a few years older, which means by the time Kassian/Jensen get to the same age, there's a chance they are much bigger impact players than a backup goalie (altho likely an elite backup who might be a starter for another team in 2 years).

Old
07-14-2012, 03:55 PM
denkiteki

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingNuck View Post
Kassian is the face of what Gillis is trying to mould our team into- young, mean, skilled and big. If he, Jensen and Gaunce turn out:

Jensen-Gaunce-Kassian will be a beastly second line.

Kassian, Gaunce, Jensen, Lack, Schroeder, McNally, Corrrado, Rodin, Mallet -> actual chance of making NHL (not my rankings)

Rest: Non-prospects. Will likely never stick in the big show. I include Connauton. Of course, I hope I'm wrong.
Sauve likely will stick in the NHL. He has a NHL body already, just needs to mature his game and bit and he can be a bottom pairing/injury replacement type player. Odds are he'll play a bit next year when we get hit by injuries like we always do. He's likely the most guarantee player to make the NHL (tho not likely a big impact).

Old
07-14-2012, 03:57 PM
AmazingNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
My list:

1. Lack
2. Kassian
3. Jensen
4. Schroeder
5. Gaunce
6. Connauton
7. McNally
8. Sauve
9. Corrado
10. Labate
11. Rodin
12. Mallet
13. Cannata
14. Friesen
15. Polasek
16. Price
17. Archibald
18. Grenier
19. Hutton
20. Beattie

I'm curious to find out what your list is currently based on. Lack over Kassian is surprising to me. Lack isn't currently better than Schneider was (although that may be due to age) in his 2nd year in the AHL, and he doesn't the playoff run to boot. I have Lack as a clear #1 whereas I have Kassian at a 60-70 player in his prime, (20-25, 40-45) with a mean streak, good defensive abilities, consistent physicality and intimidation. IMO, a player like that adds more than a #1 goaltender. We saw what Brown could do for a team.. I believe Kassian can add that to our team.

Where do you have Lack/Kassian's ceilings? And what do you value more between the two players I listed out (Kassian's ceiling vs. Lack's ceiling)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by denkiteki View Post
Sauve likely will stick in the NHL. He has a NHL body already, just needs to mature his game and bit and he can be a bottom pairing/injury replacement type player. Odds are he'll play a bit next year when we get hit by injuries like we always do. He's likely the most guarantee player to make the NHL (tho not likely a big impact).
Maybe I don't see it with Sauve, but I don't consider making the NHL to be the same as sticking in the NHL. If he makes the NHL, I don't think it's anything more than a fringe player who will eventually have to go overseas.

AmazingNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 04:07 PM
denkiteki

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingNuck View Post
Maybe I don't see it with Sauve, but I don't consider making the NHL to be the same as sticking in the NHL. If he makes the NHL, I don't think it's anything more than a fringe player who will eventually have to go overseas.
Well i see Sauve as someone with a similar skillset as Albert except being a much better skater. He has the big body, the mean streak, a hard shot that isn't as accurate as you hope. He also makes a good first pass (but too hard to handle for a lot of players in the AHL), which should translate to be a decent bottom pairing guy.

Old
07-14-2012, 04:12 PM
ayoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
Pretty thin list here, 4 years of Gillis drafting hasn't brought us much. I picked Kassian because at least he can play in the nhl.. kind of.
^This

ayoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 04:29 PM
Mitts McCann

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoshi View Post
^This
What do you mean this? This is probably the best list of prospects we've had in a while.

Mitts McCann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 04:33 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
I don't think its fair to say AINEC that Kassian is better. Kassian should be #1, but Jensen is not that far behind.

Interesting list Lick. What's got you down on Corrado? I feel he has a higher potential than Tanev and isn't that far off from him right now despite being 3 years younger. He's my #1 for defensive prospects.
Not down on Corrado, in fact I wasn't very high on Corrado until I watched him play a few times near the end of the year... so I guess he's growing on me? I just still think highly of Connauton, Sauve and McNally.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote