HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Devils Rookie Camp 2012

Old
07-20-2012, 01:21 AM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeursCups View Post
I need to say this walking on eggshells, but is anyone else skeptical of Merrill?

I really, really want him to pan out, but my god, I hate how complacent he is in his own zone. I really don't want to call it laziness, but I just don't see the urgency when pressured. I guess I can categorize it as slowing the game down to his speed, but it often leads to turnovers deep in the zone (as we saw a couple of times in the scrimmage). I watched a lot of his games at UM and there are a plethora of things I like about his game: His first pass, his senses in the offensive zone, his creativity on the PP, but he has got to get stronger in the d-zone. While his first pass is extremely good, he's going to have to learn how to deal with a speedy forecheck and starting the breakout quickly.

I don't want to come off like I'm a huge critic of his game, but at this point, I think Gelinas and Scarlett have higher ceilings than him.
Too be fair, I just see Merrill complacence in the D Zone is like Larsson. He slows that game down. It is something that many defensemen dont have. I feel like his potential is through the roof. I feel like out of our Top D Prospects he is #1 IMO Of course. I would then Rank Gelinas 2nd, Scarlett 3rd, Severson 4th and Burlon 5th, however Helgeson is starting to grow on me. (Forgot Urbom, he is right after Gelinas)
(
Having this many possible NHL Caliber Dmen is a great thing. Even if you have to many, you can just trade them for a Forward or Goalie. It really looks like Lou is trying to regain the amazing Defense Core we had from the Cup Years.

Soo Ranking the D Prospects : (In terms of Potential)

1. Merrill
2. Gelinas
3. Urbom
4. Scarlett
5. Severson
6/7 Burlon/Helgeson (Its close)

Devils Trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 01:22 AM
Tretyak 20

It's not that Scarlett or Gelinas have higher ceilings. In Gelinas' case, he's older, more experienced and thus plays a more refined game. At this point he's probably closer to the NHL, despite less overall ability.

Scarlett looks good because of the skill, but he needs more seasoning and is still not bulked up the way he needs to be. It will come, though.

Merrill probably needs to go back to college and play another year there, plus at least a half year in Albany, but I still think he's the real deal and could be a 1st pair D for us. Remember, Lidstrom didn't exactly play an exciting game - the best D usually don't.

Tretyak 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 01:24 AM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tretyak 20 View Post
It's not that Scarlett or Gelinas have higher ceilings. In Gelinas' case, he's older, more experienced and thus plays a more refined game. At this point he's probably closer to the NHL, despite less overall ability.

Scarlett looks good because of the skill, but he needs more seasoning and is still not bulked up the way he needs to be. It will come, though.

Merrill probably needs to go back to college and play another year there, plus at least a half year in Albany, but I still think he's the real deal and could be a 1st pair D for us. Remember, Lidstrom didn't exactly play an exciting game - the best D usually don't.
I feel that may be a reason on why Gelinas looks better than Merrill. He has the experience. I would like Merrill to go to Lou University as soon as possible. I want him in the AHL And adapting. I feel like his potential is a Ryan Suter like player.

Old
07-20-2012, 01:28 AM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Also my buddy posted this on Facebook. Was today's practice open to the public ??

Old
07-20-2012, 01:38 AM
Tretyak 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
I feel that may be a reason on why Gelinas looks better than Merrill. He has the experience. I would like Merrill to go to Lou University as soon as possible. I want him in the AHL And adapting. I feel like his potential is a Ryan Suter like player.
Suter is a good comparison, only I think Merrill will be more physical and have less acceleration. He'll be a little less dynamic, but will occasionally through a big hit and keep guys on their toes.

I think Lou will probably tell Merrill to go back to school. He probably isn't NHL ready yet, and he missed a lot of development time last year. Plus, Berenson is just about the best coach you could ask for to help develop a superior defensive player. That fact isn't lost on Lou.

Tretyak 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 02:08 AM
Jared Ramsden

Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
Too be fair, I just see Merrill complacence in the D Zone is like Larsson. He slows that game down. It is something that many defensemen dont have. I feel like his potential is through the roof. I feel like out of our Top D Prospects he is #1)
I think that bolded sentence nails it. He often looks too laid-back and casual in his own end, but a lot of that is him just processing and making sure he makes the right play. It may come off as being complacent, but I think it speaks highly to his hockey IQ and panic threshold. I do see where BC is coming from, and while I do think his sense of urgency will have to increase slightly, that will come as he moves up into the pros. It's a different type of style that Merrill plays, but it's not a bad thing IMO. Cool, calm and calculated.

Jared Ramsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 02:38 AM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeursCups View Post
I need to say this walking on eggshells, but is anyone else skeptical of Merrill?

I really, really want him to pan out, but my god, I hate how complacent he is in his own zone. I really don't want to call it laziness, but I just don't see the urgency when pressured. I guess I can categorize it as slowing the game down to his speed, but it often leads to turnovers deep in the zone (as we saw a couple of times in the scrimmage). I watched a lot of his games at UM and there are a plethora of things I like about his game: His first pass, his senses in the offensive zone, his creativity on the PP, but he has got to get stronger in the d-zone. While his first pass is extremely good, he's going to have to learn how to deal with a speedy forecheck and starting the breakout quickly.
I've had similar thoughts after watching Merrill at Michigan/WJCs. For a guy that's 6'3, I keep expecting him to physically dominate smaller NCAA forwards. But he'll rely on his stickwork in the defensive zone.

Dean Lombardi expressed displeasure with Jack Johnson's development during his two years at Michigan. This might be coupled with Lombardi's previous experience with another high profile Wolverine blueliner in Jeff Jillson.

But as you said, Merrill's offensive game is still tantalizing. Would expect to see him have a full year in the AHL to develop in a low pressure environment, whenever he does turn pro.

Brodeur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 07:08 AM
IT0

is there a chance that jonny-boy does schultzie on us?
yikes!

IT0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 07:11 AM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IT0 View Post
is there a chance that jonny-boy does schultzie on us?
yikes!
No. The loophole Schultz used does not apply to Merrill.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 08:14 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

jeez whats up with this rawlings kid? haven't seen him, but he sounds legit. and he's 6'5? nice. lest strap some mattresses to him and put him in albany

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 08:24 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tretyak 20 View Post

I think this is correct. He will go back to school, and develop further in Albany. I'm not worried about his defence, that can be taught, or covered by putting him with a defensive defenceman. The offensive creativity is what I am more interested in with him.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 08:55 AM
Ds88

Jon Merril is like a rich man's Paul Martin. Martin does the same thing in his own zone he utilizes his hockey smarts and stick over his physical attributes. I believe if Merril does make it to the NHL he will hit the offensive expectations that Martin never reached after he was drafted.

Ds88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 10:22 AM
Jack Griffin

@TGfireandice

Michael Ambrosia scores on backhand on scramble in front at 6:18. Red leads 1-0. First goal Rawlings has allowed this week.

‏@TGfireandice

Graham Black ties it at 8:04.

Jack Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 10:28 AM
CerebralGenesis

scrimmaging already? goodness gracious

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 11:08 AM
Jack Griffin

@TGfireandice

Matteau sets up Hoeffel for goal with 6:16 left in 2nd. Red leads 2-1.

Old
07-20-2012, 11:13 AM
Jack Griffin

@TGfireandice

Brandon Burlon shot goes in with 1:32 left in first. Might have been tipped by Hoeffel in front. Red up 3-1 now

Also the teams for today's scrimmage:

WHITE TEAM

Forwards: David Wohlberg-Blake Coleman-Mike Sislo; Ben Thomson-Graham Black-Kevin Goumas; Harry Young-Jack Berger-David Friedmann; Marcello Ranallo-Zachary Aston-Reese.

Defensemen: Eric Gelinas-Jon Merrill; Seth Helgeson-Damon Severson; Thomas Parisi.

Goaltenders: Chris Rawlings, Keith Kinkaid.

RED TEAM
Forwards: Mike Hoeffel-Phil DeSimone-Stefan Matteau; Michael Ambrosia-Reid Boucher-Joe Whitney; J.S. Berube-Peter McMullen-Bryan Haczyk; Ben Jonhson-J.T. Barnett.

Defensemen: Dan Kelly-Reece Scarlett; Brandon Burlon-Joe Faust; Corbin McPherson-Matt Killian.

Goaltenders: Maxime Clermont, Scott Wedgewood.

Old
07-20-2012, 11:20 AM
CerebralGenesis

Not a sexy name, but I like that Hoeffel character. Hope he gets a chance in the bottom lines one of these seasons.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 11:36 AM
Jack Griffin

@TGfireandice

Helgeson beats Wedgwood far side at 1:28 to cut White Team deficit to 3-2.

Old
07-20-2012, 12:03 PM
Jack Griffin

@TGfireandice

Wohlberg robbed by Wedgewood's glove on potential tying goal with 22.5 secs. left. Wedgewood atoned for soft Helgeson goal.

Red holds on for 3-2 victory.

Old
07-20-2012, 01:34 PM
AZNDevil
Yay band.

Loughlin interview with DeBoer, Merrill, and Severson:

AZNDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 02:13 PM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

Helgeson with two goals this week - encouraging considering he's known as a pure defensive defenseman.

Darius Dangleaitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 04:48 PM
kiwidevil

Anymore full scrimmages out yet?

kiwidevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 04:50 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Matteau picking up an assist is nice, and nice to see Black score.

Old
07-20-2012, 04:55 PM
zharkenby

Who is it that most impressed you this camp. I would say Gelinas, but he has so much more experience than the rest of these players. For me, It has to be Graham Black. After watching the scrimmage, his speed alone may be enough to get him to the NHL. I think he can become a very good penalty killer, and as Lou said, he has a ton of untapped offensive potential. His game seems very similar to a doucebag we all know as zach parise. Obviously not comparing the two, but his game is all in his legs, and im very impressed with his speed. Also, I never realized Reece Scarlett was so skilled.

zharkenby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 05:37 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

In that video, Severson comes off as being very intelligent. I like to see that in a young player, it often bodes well with how he will respond to coaching.