HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ladies and gentleman we are going on a strike or lock-out

Old
08-09-2012, 04:49 PM
29dryden29

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
nobody wants a lockout, this I understand.
Now would this help the habs? Any other team?
consider this. Habs still need to dump contracts. any amount of time locked out helps the team waist time on those contract.
The Habs have some great young talent this year in Hamilton they will get better before the habs need them.
The Habs last year had one of the worst starts in history and right from the get go injuries over injuries, they were down 12 points by the time they got to December, with nobody playing nobody get hurt.
I know it's a strange way to look at this but it must be said that some teams would benifit more then other in a lockout situation.

would you team?
Well Minny and the Preds will be on the hook for some seriously large bonus money that would get paid to the players lockout or not so for those 2 teams it probably won't be very good the Preds primarily as they tend to need the rev sharing to even come close to turning a profit from what my friends in Nashville say. That 26 mill is a huge cash outlay for a team like them that will have zero gate rev from the hockey team coming in. For us I don't think it hurts the HABS to be honest and as was pointed out in the other thread may actually help us in getting another top 5 pick in teh next draft so it could end up being a good situation.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 04:55 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
nobody wants a lockout, this I understand.
Now would this help the habs? Any other team?
consider this. Habs still need to dump contracts. any amount of time locked out helps the team waist time on those contract.
The Habs have some great young talent this year in Hamilton they will get better before the habs need them.
The Habs last year had one of the worst starts in history and right from the get go injuries over injuries, they were down 12 points by the time they got to December, with nobody playing nobody get hurt.
I know it's a strange way to look at this but it must be said that some teams would benifit more then other in a lockout situation.

would you team?
Well Minny and the Preds will be on the hook for some seriously large bonus money that would get paid to the players lockout or not so for those 2 teams it probably won't be very good the Preds primarily as they tend to need the rev sharing to even come close to turning a profit from what my friends in Nashville say. That 26 mill is a huge cash outlay for a team like them that will have zero gate rev from the hockey team coming in. For us I don't think it hurts the HABS to be honest and as was pointed out in the other thread may actually help us in getting another top 5 pick in teh next draft so it could end up being a good situation.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 05:48 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

The oilers would benefit huge.

They're due to get a little better. But the draft would be based on the last few years so they'd get good odds at a high pick.

At the same time, all their good young players would go develop in pro leagues around the world and be better the next year.

Habs would also be a team that would benefit.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 05:53 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
A definite possibility is a half year lockout. This would be nice for the Habs - Galchenyuk might be NHL ready in january.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 06:29 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
The oilers would benefit huge.

They're due to get a little better. But the draft would be based on the last few years so they'd get good odds at a high pick.

At the same time, all their good young players would go develop in pro leagues around the world and be better the next year.

Habs would also be a team that would benefit.
Isn't a year of contract eaten up? They'd get screwed as coming back they'd owe the big guys a lot of money. Hall, Eberle, etc...

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 06:33 PM
vokiel
Nothing blind

No need to convince Mr. G. to go play in Alaska if there's a lockout.

You just don't tell him when the activities resume

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 06:41 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
A definite possibility is a half year lockout. This would be nice for the Habs - Galchenyuk might be NHL ready in january.
At that point, where's the rush. He will have played half a junior season and the WJC... come to think of it, it will probably depend on that.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 06:42 PM
Crimson Skorpion

Awards:
I don't really care about standings, I just want to watch hockey.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 06:46 PM
vokiel
Nothing blind

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Well there won't be a lockout in the CHL...

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 06:46 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
You say that now but you will shake your head when the team is as dead as last year on the ice. I do wanna watch NHL hockey though.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 07:00 PM
DrunkenHabz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Not NHLs fault. They wanted to negotiate for a long time. The NHLPA wasn't ready.
But coming out half way through the on going negotiations to spit in the NHLPA's faces threatening them that whatever they decide the NHL won't accept their demands, is kind of disrespectful and does not encourage the NHLPA to react calmly.

It's like I point a gun on your head and I say It's gonna work my way or it's not gonna work at all. Why is it even called negotiations?

Not taking a side here, just pointing the fact that this will not help the NHLPA to lower their demands at all. It's even more oil on the fire.

DrunkenHabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 07:03 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenHabz View Post
But coming out half way through the on going negotiations to spit in the NHLPA's faces threatening them that whatever they decide the NHL won't accept their demands, is kind of disrespectful and does not encourage the NHLPA to react calmly.

It's like I point a gun on your head and I say It's gonna work my way or it's not gonna work at all. Why is it even called negotiations?

Not taking a side here, just pointing the fact that this will not help the NHLPA to lower their demands at all. It's even more oil on the fire.
The owners are acting as they have all the power.

They do have most of the power ... and they won the last negotiations.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 07:03 PM
Raider917

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
when does he turn 19? dont you have to be 19 to play in ahl?

Raider917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 07:13 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Is it just me that doesn't understand this "at least we'll waste one year of contract" mentality?

Lock-out or not, in a year from now, Gomez will have one less year on his contract. Personally, I'd much rather watch hockey until then.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 07:16 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
Is it just me that doesn't understand this "at least we'll waste one year of contract" mentality?

Lock-out or not, in a year from now, Gomez will have one less year on his contract. Personally, I'd much rather watch hockey until then.
They're misguided.

Old
08-09-2012, 07:55 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post

Basically this, I'd rather watch a weak team rather than nothing.

The only way there's a particular advantage in competitive terms to losing games is if you think the team will be stronger later in the season rather than earlier and they'd have a better record in a shorter season.

You could also say that if you think you have a relatively bad team then its better have a short season if you want to make the playoffs so that random chance rather than skill will be a bigger component of team record.

Talks to Goalposts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 08:17 PM
hockeyfan2k11

I keep hearing it would be good for the Habs if there's a lockout. Don't you people actually enjoy watching hockey?

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Raider917

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
I keep hearing it would be good for the Habs if there's a lockout. Don't you people actually enjoy watching hockey?
if there is a lockout, does draft pick order carry over from last season or is it a lottery? if it is a lottery, does every team have the same percentage chance of getting a high pick or is it weighed down for the weaker teams of this last season like it was this year?

Raider917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 08:31 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider917 View Post
if there is a lockout, does draft pick order carry over from last season or is it a lottery? if it is a lottery, does every team have the same percentage chance of getting a high pick or is it weighed down for the weaker teams of this last season like it was this year?
No, we have a much better chance of drafting high if we play out the season.

In the last lockout it was based on the average of the three previous seasons.

Old
08-09-2012, 09:07 PM
Crimson Skorpion

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post
You say that now but you will shake your head when the team is as dead as last year on the ice. I do wanna watch NHL hockey though.
Watching the Habs lose a hockey game is better than not watching a hockey game at all and wondering when both sides will actually settle on a middle-ground.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 09:15 PM
Lars The GOAT Eller
PSN: WildGranlund

Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
I'm OK with a half year lockout
I can watch Gally play here in the OHL and by then he should be NHL ready.
Then I only have to watch the Habs suck for half the year.
Leblanc, Geoffrion will also get more ahl time.

Lars The GOAT Eller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 09:24 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoingItLeBlancWay View Post
I'm OK with a half year lockout
I can watch Gally play here in the OHL and by then he should be NHL ready.
Then I only have to watch the Habs suck for half the year.
Leblanc, Geoffrion will also get more ahl time.
Keep in mind that whatever arguments you have for a half-year lockout helping the Habs apply equally well to many (all?) the other teams in the league.

I don't personally care if there are 40 pr 80 games next year, I'll just invest my time into other things. However, as a fan of the game I want to see the game grow.

Old
08-09-2012, 09:29 PM
Lars The GOAT Eller
PSN: WildGranlund

Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Keep in mind that whatever arguments you have for a half-year lockout helping the Habs apply equally well to many (all?) the other teams in the league.

I don't personally care if there are 40 pr 80 games next year, I'll just invest my time into other things. However, as a fan of the game I want to see the game grow.
well the fact that the habs have a strong prospect pool works in our favor, as we won't be rushing players we shouldn't be into the NHL.
We also have a couple players that are just on the brink of becoming fulltime nhlers (Gally,Louis,Geoffrion)

Lars The GOAT Eller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 09:32 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoingItLeBlancWay View Post
well the fact that the habs have a strong prospect pool works in our favor, as we won't be rushing players we shouldn't be into the NHL.
We also have a couple players that are just on the brink of becoming fulltime nhlers (Gally,Louis,Geoffrion)
The team doesn't need a lockout to have those players develop in the minor leagues.

I don't think we're top-10 in the NHL for farm systems.

Old
08-09-2012, 10:39 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Watching the Habs lose a hockey game is better than not watching a hockey game at all and wondering when both sides will actually settle on a middle-ground.
I agree. You said "I don't care" Oh you will care about them losing, but yes bad hockey > no hockey.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote