HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Summer 2012 Free Agency: Holy God, match that offersheet please, Nashville

Closed Thread

Old
07-17-2012, 01:31 PM
Wes C Addle
Bernard Shakey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Malkin View Post
Whitney was drafted in 2002, he was traded 7 years later. Gogo was drafted in 2004 and traded in 2011, again 7 years later. So it's great shero has all of these prospects, but they aren't likely going to solve the horrible winger depth anytime soon. Crosby will be in his 30's before some of these prospects will command a big piece in a trade.
Defenseman don't all develop on the same schedule. Letang was drafted in 05 and was a full timer by 2007. Despres if he makes the team, which he has a great shot of doing, will have done so 3 years after being drafted. Heck Morrow could challenge even as soon as next season. That'd be 2 years removed.

I think there's a really probable chance that some of the guys are going to develop into the sort of assets Whitney/Gogo were in much less time.

Old
07-17-2012, 01:31 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang fan 58 View Post
Fleury has enough troubles stopping shots in the playoffs, dont need the extra work.
meh Vlasic did the same thing this last year in the playoffs and most would consider him a defensive stalwart. it was a fluke play.

Old
07-17-2012, 01:36 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Whitney was drafted in 2002, he was traded 7 years later. Gogo was drafted in 2004 and traded in 2011, again 7 years later. So it's great shero has all of these prospects, but they aren't likely going to solve the horrible winger depth anytime soon. Crosby will be in his 30's before some of these prospects will command a big piece in a trade.
Quote:
Can we please stop treating tangradi like some highly prized prospect? Shero and bylsma have shown they have no faith in him. Although he might get more minutes this upcoming season if shero sits on his thumb all summer.

And beau Bennett did not even dominate in college. I don't even know why he is turning pro this year. He is our only hope of a potential top 6 player in the minor league which is frustrating.
Dang man, all this pessimism is bringing me down.

Old
07-17-2012, 01:36 PM
Von Malkin*

Cal O'Reilly signed a contract in the khl today, thank god. You never know with shero, I could see him bringing him back as a "depth signing." Good luck Cal, you were horrible on the pens.

Old
07-17-2012, 01:40 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Can we please stop treating tangradi like some highly prized prospect? Shero and bylsma have shown they have no faith in him. Although he might get more minutes this upcoming season if shero sits on his thumb all summer.

And beau Bennett did not even dominate in college. I don't even know why he is turning pro this year. He is our only hope of a potential top 6 player in the minor league which is frustrating.
Tangradi still has a perfectly good chance to be a top 6 forward. Malone was drafted in 99 and broke into the NHL in 2003 at the age of 24. It's not out of the question for guys to take some time.

Old
07-17-2012, 01:40 PM
Von Malkin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Dang man, all this pessimism is bringing me down.
I just don't like the direction the pens are going. I can only hope shero has a trade or 2 up his sleeve.

Old
07-17-2012, 01:42 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes C Addle View Post
Defenseman don't all develop on the same schedule. Letang was drafted in 05 and was a full timer by 2007. Despres if he makes the team, which he has a great shot of doing, will have done so 3 years after being drafted. Heck Morrow could challenge even as soon as next season. That'd be 2 years removed.

I think there's a really probable chance that some of the guys are going to develop into the sort of assets Whitney/Gogo were in much less time.
agreed

Old
07-17-2012, 01:46 PM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

If they are looking for a Gaborik size return for Boyle theres absolutely no chance I'd want him on the team. He's old, paid a lot, and not worth nearly that much in assets to bring him to the Pens.

Old
07-17-2012, 01:55 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
I just don't like the direction the pens are going. I can only hope shero has a trade or 2 up his sleeve.

Old
07-17-2012, 01:58 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
Yeah, and David Rundblad was drafted in 2009, then traded for Vladimir Tarasenko in 2010. Tarasenko's the best wing prospect in the league outside of Yakupov, and looking to make an impact next year. Last year, Rundblad was traded again for Kyle Turris, another high-upside young forward.

This summer, there was a huge bidding war for an unproven young defenseman in Justin Schultz.

Young PMDs are worth their weight in gold, even as prospects.

This is all beside the fact that there are still scoring wingers on the market, and with Staal out of the picture the Pens will now have the cap space to pursue wingers every off-season, if need be. Including the rest of this one.

Old
07-17-2012, 01:59 PM
redsono93

Only way I would want Boyle is if Clowe somehow is in the deal. Which wouldn't happen but I can dream. Any word on Semin? My fear he goes to a team that is a contender and we play them in playoffs. My opinion Semin is best winger available and we don't have to trade any assets.

Old
07-17-2012, 02:02 PM
mpp9

I like the idea of bringing Boyle in. With his caphit, we're one of the few contenders who could take him on. Solid PP QB and with 2 years left on his deal, it won't affect our ability to resign Geno/Tanger and will be a solid stopgap until Morrow can step in.

Old
07-17-2012, 02:09 PM
Rocket of Russia
Defender of Tang

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
I like the idea of bringing Boyle in. With his caphit, we're one of the few contenders who could take him on. Solid PP QB and with 2 years left on his deal, it won't affect our ability to resign Geno/Tanger and will be a solid stopgap until Morrow can step in.
You'll like the idea until you see the asking price.

Old
07-17-2012, 02:10 PM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

If boyle comes to the Pens itll prob cost just slightly less than Nash would, and would make the Pens unable to fit a winger under the cap, unless Martin is moved.

Old
07-17-2012, 02:13 PM
cassius

Boyle is exactly what this team needs... since Gonchar left, we simply haven't had any great PP QB's. I know this will be an unpopular opinion, but I feel like Letang just hasn't quite taken that role just yet.

I know people around here get regaled by all of these prospects that are 2-4 years out from making the NHL - you shouldn't be fooled by that though. This team has underperformed big the past 3 years and we definitely need to be in contender mode. You can't rule out any move that would instantly make this team better.

Old
07-17-2012, 02:14 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang fan 58 View Post
If they are looking for a Gaborik size return for Boyle theres absolutely no chance I'd want him on the team. He's old, paid a lot, and not worth nearly that much in assets to bring him to the Pens.
Probably just Torts wanting him back or them setting themselves up for Nash. If they get Boyle a young D might become expandable from the Rags that they didn't want to move last year to get a Nash for example

Old
07-17-2012, 02:16 PM
Shady Machine

I would love Boyle, but unless San Jose decided they are in rebuilding mode, we don't have the assets to make the trade IMO. Of course we don't know if the Gaborik rumor is true, but we certainly can't compete with that type of asking price.

Old
07-17-2012, 02:27 PM
mpp9

I don't think the asking price will be that high. Especially for us if they're looking for younger assets on D. But if they're asking for the moon, then **** no.

Old
07-17-2012, 02:34 PM
kahlon66

what do you guys think will Shero sign anyone else in the offseason?

Old
07-17-2012, 02:45 PM
Kunitziwa

Send a message via AIM to Kunitziwa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Tangradi still has a perfectly good chance to be a top 6 forward. Malone was drafted in 99 and broke into the NHL in 2003 at the age of 24. It's not out of the question for guys to take some time.
Power Forwards especially. They don't grow on trees, and certainly not overnight.

Old
07-17-2012, 02:52 PM
Polaris Husky
The North Star

Strait took up the 50th Contract, didn't he?

There aren't going to be any more signings. Maybe a trade, but I'm not holding my breath, unless it's some sort of "Lovejoy for AHL tweener and/or a mid-round pick" deal.

Old
07-17-2012, 02:58 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikaru Kitsune View Post
Strait took up the 50th Contract, didn't he?

There aren't going to be any more signings. Maybe a trade, but I'm not holding my breath, unless it's some sort of "Lovejoy for AHL tweener and/or a mid-round pick" deal.
no the numbers floating around all include the RFA's even if they aren't signed yet.

Old
07-17-2012, 03:04 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahlon66 View Post
what do you guys think will Shero sign anyone else in the offseason?
I am not really sure.

Does Craig Adams have a brother that plays hockey?

Old
07-17-2012, 03:12 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
no the numbers floating around all include the RFA's even if they aren't signed yet.
I don't know. I looked at the depth chart on capgeek and if you count all the contracts on there it adds up to 50. I'm not positive that's accurate though but the list of names all seemed correct.

Edit: Nvm it looks like the included Harrington in the list so I think it's really 49.

Old
07-17-2012, 03:13 PM
kahlon66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
I am not really sure.

Does Craig Adams have a brother that plays hockey?

good one

Closed Thread