HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Summer 2012 Free Agency: Holy God, match that offersheet please, Nashville

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2012, 12:43 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

vCash: 500
Nashville will match even if it's only done to trade him in a year to get more than the 4 picks they'd get out of losing him this way. I don't think Poile will ever deal him to Philly now though. Going after a teams RFA's is one way to really piss a team off.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:45 AM
End of Line
Human After All

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Its going to be fascinating to see financial terms of Weber's offer sheet. Hearing in one calendar year, he could make $26 mil.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
07-19-2012, 12:45 AM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
If this does go through, will they be able to afford new contracts for Giroux/Schenn/Couturier with having this massive contract + Bryzgalov's?
With Holmgren it doesn't matter. He'll just trade whoever at the time to make it work for them.

I honestly have no idea why ANY free agent would sign in Philly unless you were someone like Bobby Ryan and you wanted to go home. Holmgren has shown he has zero loyalty to signing players to long-term deals.

If I were Weber or another player, and Holmgren came at me with a long-term deal, I'd say **** off you'll trade me in a few years anyways...and sign somewhere I'd want to be long-term.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:46 AM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

In any event, at least we finally have something to talk about other than Forsberg/Grigoenko/Trouba v. Pouliot.

God, I ****ing hate the summer.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:46 AM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
Hartnell & Timonen being UFAs next summer may help.

Dreger:
Its going to be fascinating to see financial terms of Weber's offer sheet. Hearing in one calendar year, he could make $26 mil.

Holy...That doesn't even sound legal
It may help but not all that much. Giroux will most likely be looking for a 7.5mil+ deal and Couturier and Schenn will get anywhere between 3-6mil most likely.

Edit: And what Jules said.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:47 AM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Quote:
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger

I SO would've loved to have seen Philly do this and Brian Burke be the GM of the Preds. He probably would've killed Holmgren after mother f'ing him a few times on TV.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:47 AM
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
The one bad thing about the contract is that you know that there has to be a NMC given how big of a dick reputation that the Flyers have leaguewide for screwing players over. So chances are good that 'Nashville can trade him in a year' stuff is not going to prove to be true. That said, there is a good chance that Nashville matches, it is what they wanted in the first place. Term is on the long side, but just over $7 million per year is what they would have been looking at anyways. And losing Suter already means that they have the money to make it work.
I do believe with the offer sheet that only term of years & money need to be matched, so this talk of a full NMC is bunk. Can anyone confirm 100%.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:48 AM
zero8771

i wonder if maybe the flyers got word that pens were close to a trade for him and said, **** that

Old
07-19-2012, 12:48 AM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

Enemies Philly just made, Dreger again:

I'm trying to go back to bed. More info coming in. Philly, NYR, Detroit and San Jose were big players in Weber trade scenarios.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:49 AM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Quote:
It may help but not all that much. Giroux will most likely be looking for a 7.5mil+ deal and Couturier and Schenn will get anywhere between 3-6mil most likely.
I think Holmgren doing this opens him up for dealing with the same thing for his RFAs. Ever since the Vanek/Penner offer sheets, there's been an unwritten rule for GMs to not do this to other GMs around the league. I'd laugh if other people did this to Holmgren in the future.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:49 AM
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
With Holmgren it doesn't matter. He'll just trade whoever at the time to make it work for them.

I honestly have no idea why ANY free agent would sign in Philly unless you were someone like Bobby Ryan and you wanted to go home. Holmgren has shown he has zero loyalty to signing players to long-term deals.

If I were Weber or another player, and Holmgren came at me with a long-term deal, I'd say **** off you'll trade me in a few years anyways...and sign somewhere I'd want to be long-term.
Exactly, even if Nashville doesn't match at least philly will have him for one year before paul holmgren trades him the next off-season!

Old
07-19-2012, 12:50 AM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
I SO would've loved to have seen Philly do this and Brian Burke be the GM of the Preds. He probably would've killed Holmgren after mother f'ing him a few times on TV.
If this were the case, instead of setting up a fight in a barn, Burke would walk into Holmgren's office and just beat the piss out of him.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:50 AM
Junse19
From rink to rink...

So I wake up at 1:30 AM to the news of a Flyers' offer sheet signing by Shea Weber...

Old
07-19-2012, 12:52 AM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
I think Holmgren doing this opens him up for dealing with the same thing for his RFAs. Ever since the Vanek/Penner offer sheets, there's been an unwritten rule for GMs to not do this to other GMs around the league. I'd laugh if other people did this to Holmgren in the future.
For sure. I wouldn't be shocked to see if GM's refused to trade with him as well.

Old
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.

Quote:

If things continue the way they are with the cap rising each year, in two years for a guy like CG they will be very lucky to lock him up for 7.5 mil if he continues to develop. I think 8-9 mil / year is more likely.

Old
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

Quote:

Considering what Philly just did, if they can't get those 3 under contract by RFA status (pay cut first yr til Briere is gone) or just trade them, maybe someone can help them an offer sheet one and help them out

Old
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardin087 View Post
i wonder if maybe the flyers got word that pens were close to a trade for him and said, **** that
Definitely possible.

It's been known the Pens wanted to great a true top pairing with Letang and someone else.

Could be a possibility why the Pens haven't hammered anything out yet with Semin/Doan, etc.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:53 AM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

Pretty sure RFAs aren't eligible for NTC/NMCs. Too lazy to look it up though.

And yeah, sounds like Philly is trying to make it as miserable as possible for Nashville's bank account with crazy front-loading. The 14 years means they're actually not hitting that highest threshold for compensation (the four first-round picks).

Quote:
$1,110,249 or below - No Compensation
Over $1,110,249 to $1,682,194 - 3rd round pick
Over $1,682,194 to $3,364,391 - 2nd round pick
Over $3,364,391 to $5,046,585 - 1st round pick, 3rd
Over $5,046,585 to $6,728,781 - 1st round pick, 2nd, 3rd
Over $6,728,781 To $8,410,976 - Two 1st Round Picks, 2nd, 3rd
Over $8,410,976 - Four 1st Round Picks
At 14 years, even with a $115 million deal, they'd still only need to give back two firsts, a second and a third. There's just no way they'd negotiate it to be an $8.5M cap hit.

Needless to say, Poile has to match. There isn't even a decision to be made from a hockey standpoint. None. The only snag would be ownership not wanting to shell out the up-front cash.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:54 AM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedCreative View Post
If things continue the way they are with the cap rising each year, in two years for a guy like CG they will be very lucky to lock him up for 7.5 mil if he continues to develop. I think 8-9 mil / year is more likely.
We'll see what happens with the CBA first lol.

Old
Jaded-Fan

I am picturing a Pens' $8,410,975 per long term $100 million plus offer sheet for Giroux.

Old
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.

Quote:
Definitely possible.

It's been known the Pens wanted to great a true top pairing with Letang and someone else.

Could be a possibility why the Pens haven't hammered anything out yet with Semin/Doan, etc.
Wouldn't shock me if thats what RS was chatting about with Nashville at the draft about...

Old
07-19-2012, 12:55 AM
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.

Quote:
I am picturing a Pens' $8.5 million per long term $100 million plus offer sheet for Giroux.
I'm just glad RS isn't that stupid to do something like that.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:55 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Nashville has to match, even if it's as heavily front-loaded as possible.

Because if they don't, the team will suck so much and the fans could lose such interest, that the team may literally not survive if they lose Weber for 4 LATE picks and get no immediate assets back to help them & sell the fans on.

If things got really ugly with the fanbase and the team started losing attendance, they could fall below the revenue-sharing threshold and the team could go bankrupt. Bettman and the NHL would NOT want this to happen.

Finally, part of the new Collective Bargaining Agreement may contain either (A) a roll-back in salary (so the value of this deal could come down); or (B) could contain even more revenue sharing. Nashville is currently a revenue sharing team, and if more money gets passed around to them in the new CBA, then that could also make this Weber contract easier to swallow.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:56 AM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedCreative View Post
If I'm Toronto and I need a #1 center, and Burke has had issue with someone clowning him on an offer sheet in the past, I stick it right up Holmgren's ass and get my #1 center in Giroux with a mega offer sheet.

Giroux is from Ontario. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to twist his hand to come home for mega $.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:56 AM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

Quote:
I am picturing a Pens' long term $100 million plus offer sheet for Giroux.
NJ doing that would be funny

Also the same time Giroux becomes a RFA, Gaborik is off the books for NYR...

Closed Thread