HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Det - Offer sheet weber?

Old
07-14-2012, 10:43 AM
magmatic

vCash: 500
Det - Offer sheet weber?

would it be smart for the wings to offer sheet weber? Im really not seeing a down side to it right now?

magmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 10:44 AM
The Bored Man
Tier 2 Fan

Nashville would match it and thank the Wings for negotiating a contract for them.

The Bored Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 10:45 AM
CommonMeans*

Quote:
Originally Posted by magmatic View Post
would it be smart for the wings to offer sheet weber? Im really not seeing a down side to it right now?
Who is to say Holland didn't offer-sheet Weber? Maybe he chose not to sign it.

CommonMeans* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 10:47 AM
tmg

Quote:
Giving four first round picks for one player one year earlier than they could get the same player for equivalent money without losing four first round picks?

Is one year of any player worth four first round draft picks?

tmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 10:47 AM
Avs44

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bored Man View Post
Nashville would match it and thank the Wings for negotiating a contract for them.
This. Nashville has a lot of cap, they would just match the offer sheet. If it was a 1 year offer sheet, they might not match, but then Detroit gives up 4 1sts for 1 year of Weber. If its long term they thank Detroit for locking up their top player for them. Honestly, at this point, I doubt Weber would sign an offer sheet.

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 10:50 AM
magmatic

I say the wings should offer 5 year at 12 mill per. the worst think that will happen is preds just counter offer. Holland would just be spending there money for them

magmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 10:56 AM
Ishad

Quote:
As Nashville would immediately match there is no up side to it either.

Ishad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 11:31 AM
CommonMeans*

Quote:
I say the wings should offer 5 year at 12 mill per. the worst think that will happen is preds just counter offer. Holland would just be spending there money for them
1. If Weber doesn't want to remain in Nashville he'd never sign the offer-sheet.
2. If Detroit really wants Weber why would they sign him to an offer-sheet that, when matched, would only ensure that Weber never wears a Red Wings jersey?

The only offer sheet that makes any sense is a one year deal. If matched Weber secures his UFA status in a year's time.

CommonMeans* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 11:36 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmg View Post
Giving four first round picks for one player one year earlier than they could get the same player for equivalent money without losing four first round picks?

Is one year of any player worth four first round draft picks?
Its not the same. If he's on the open market then you're lower cost (minus the picks) is also competing against every other team.

And if he re-signs, what makes you so sure its only for one year?

Offer sheets are a gamble, just like waiting for the player to go to UFA is a gamble. You pay a higher price to remove considerable competition for the player's services.

Should the Red Wings do this? I'd view it as a sign of desperation, but maybe that just means they should. Reading their forum it sounds pretty desperate.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 11:40 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Another factor is this, if the CBA kills long term deals Weber will not sign an offer sheet and most likely re-sign with Nashville to get that long term deal.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
The downside is you turn what was going to be a pending UFA into a player locked up indefinitely by a division rival.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Whaaaaaa?

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Atomic Punk
Mean Streets

4 firsts? I don't think he is worth depleting the pipeline for.

Atomic Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 11:42 AM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

If they sign him to a longterm deal, Poile will match and send Holland a gift basket as thanks for helping lock up Weber.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 11:51 AM
RobBrown4PM
Pringles?

There's a big taboo with offer sheeting players. I doubt Detroit, a highly respected an classy franchise goes out and attempts to offer heet Weber.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the higher ups in the NHL have told the other teams in the league to keep their hands off Weber. I can't see Nashville surviving without Weber as their franchise player. And I'm sure the NHL wants Nashville to stay stable.

RobBrown4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:09 PM
Maize and Blue

I think the upper teams in the league are sick of paying for the lower teams to be on life support! I don't think Detroit gives a damn about If nashville can survive without Weber if it can help them make a run at a 5th cup in 20 years!!!

Maize and Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:12 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Another factor is this, if the CBA kills long term deals Weber will not sign an offer sheet and most likely re-sign with Nashville to get that long term deal.
Yeah TSN has a story up about the Leagues first proposal and a 5 year limit and no signing bonuses are both in there. Weber wont be signing a 1 year offer sheet either he'll be traded if he really wants to move or more likely the Preds extend him on a deal that wont be possible next year when he's UFA. Heck, they're asking for players not getting UFA status until 10 years so he might not be a UFA next summer.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:12 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Reportedly the NHL is looking to severely limited the amount of years a player can be signed to, and is also wanting to extend the amount of time players have to be in the NHL to reach UFA status. Now, I realize their reported wants are part of a negotiation tactic, but it's clear that contract length and UFA age will be a part of the CBA negotiations, and a big part.

Weber will not be signing a one year deal. Too risky.

edit: I would have been first, too, if it weren't for that pesky Halibut

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:27 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

I wonder if there's a deal that could be worked out where a team hands Poile a couple roster players in exchange for a pick and the agreement that he won't match their offer sheet.

For example:

To Detroit: Shea Weber (12 yrs @ $8.5M) (for example), 2nd 2013

To Nashville: Darren Helm, Justin Abdelkader, 1st 2013, 1st, 2014, 1st 2015, 1st 2016 (these picks being compensation)

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:34 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
I wonder if there's a deal that could be worked out where a team hands Poile a couple roster players in exchange for a pick and the agreement that he won't match their offer sheet.

For example:

To Nashville: Darren Helm, Justin Abdelkader, 1st 2013, 1st, 2014, 1st 2015, 1st 2016 (these picks being compensation)
I'd much rather trade him to anywhere but Detroit for two 7th round picks.

Seriously if someone is stupid enough to get Weber to sign a long-term offersheet Poile should send that team next year's 1st rounder.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:34 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

If you make an offer sheet then every GM who doesn't believe in offer sheeting as an unwritten rule will now begin open season on Detroit for as long as Holland is there, offering any of their players sheets any time they feel like it with impunity.

Rorschach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:37 PM
KingzOverAcez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
If you make an offer sheet then every GM who doesn't believe in offer sheeting as an unwritten rule will now begin open season on Detroit for as long as Holland is there, offering any of their players sheets any time they feel like it with impunity.
^This is exactly why Holland will NOT send an offer sheet to Weber. It's a dirty move by any GM and Holland has enough class to not do it.

KingzOverAcez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:38 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingzOverAcez View Post
^This is exactly why Holland will NOT send an offer sheet to Weber. It's a dirty move by any GM and Holland has enough class to not do it.
I agree, hasn't he said that he doesn't believe in them? I remember hearing about that when talking about Weber actually.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:38 PM
KingzOverAcez

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post

For example:

DET is the last place that Poile is trading Weber to if he can't get him resigned. He isn't going to trade his best defenseman to a division rival unless Holland knocks his socks off with a deal, which I don't see Kenny doing.

KingzOverAcez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:51 PM
Henkka

Offer-sheet from Detroit would be absolute failure for a 1-year contract. If you get the guy, you lose those picks and 2013 Weber signs with Vancouver.

Multi-year offer-sheets are also worthless, because that way Nashville can keep him out from free agency matching the offer, so theoretically Weber won't sign multi-year offer-sheets.

I think only team that should try to offer-sheet Weber with 1-year offer, is Vancouver. Because he would sign an extension 99% sure with them.

Trade is the only option for any other team than Vancouver. Maybe for them also, because they would want to shed some salaries out.

But what comes to Detroit, I would trade him here only, if he accepts 13 year contract extension before the trade. Without securing his extension, he's gone after one year service and also trade would be disaster in that case.

Last edited by Henkka: 07-14-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote