HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Trade Proposals: July-August

Old
08-14-2012, 12:15 PM
bernmeister

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
The vibe I'm getting here is that we should make the trade because it's "outside the box". Which, of course, is an asinine mentality to have. That's your only rationale when you post this, aside from the jumbled mess you call 'analysis'. No sane NHL GM would trade two top pairing defenseman for a forward that has ONE 30 goal season under his belt, let alone one of them - even that's debatable.
I don't mind taking my lumps if I feel they are deserved or even within a certain scope as to fair criticism.

However, your 'vibe' notwithstanding, I have never said let's make a trade just for the sake of making a trade. I have likewise never said let's go 'outside the box' just for the sake of doing it because we can. I therefore take exception to the comment.

I have ALWAYS said let's make a deal, big or small, if the net result is profitable to us. I tend to go for big deals because even being creative, assets for trade are limited, so while I am open to considering two or three smaller deals being more productive than a larger one, I tend to consider, risk of injury not withstanding, that obtaining an impact player in a bigger deal will typically be more productive.

You may disagree about such a strategy (of big deals going for impact over smaller deals for depth), and you may disagree about our need for sniper/offense which, while improved upon last year, was SO horrid last year that still more needs to be done as early as possible. That's a matter of perspective and opinion, to which all have a right to propose and an obligation to defend.

But this was not suggested without reason, even if you dispute the merits of the reason.

-----------

As to "No sane NHL GM would trade two top pairing defenseman for a forward that has ONE 30 goal season under his belt, let alone one of them - even that's debatable." I disagree.

It really depends upon who the top pair is, and who the scorer is.

I don't make this deal with a hypothetical top pair of Suter + Weber, as to a recent example.

And I'm not making a scaled down version of this deal with less payment for a guy like Sykora who has shown some scoring touch, but is not an elite player.

I consider Evander Kane pre-elite bordering elite at this stage.
To get him, without giving up McDonagh or Kreider, requires such an overpayment, especially if he is bundled with a nice medium term contract.

You get what you pay for.
Sure, there is always a risk of injury. But Kane looks good at this point.

bernmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 03:02 PM
JeremyNYR

I understand that any trade proposal will have its detractors, but when not even one other person sees your trade proposal as beneficial/in the realm of possibility, there's no point in continuing to defend it. You don't even have to admit that you're wrong, but you might as well realize that you just aren't going to win anyone over to your way of thinking on this one.

JeremyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 02:42 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerfan_79 View Post
I drunk post once in a while too. it doesn't make us a bad person.
Happy posting. go rangers!
In heaven, there ain't no beer, that's why we drink it here
And when we're gone from here, all our friends will be drinking all the beer!

Old
08-16-2012, 02:46 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Just out of curiosity, how did you determine this?
No big knock vs. him. Just the natural order of things. The wheels are definitely slower the older you get. For everybody. Could still do the job, and then some but would be a slower guy on a very fast team --- is that a good fit?

Plus he'll cost.

Old
08-17-2012, 09:34 PM
mschmidt64

You know a player I'd like to get in here at some point? Not that this is a specific trade proposal, but still....

John Tavares.

He'd be a great top line center for once Richards gets too old.

Of course with Richards' contract, he's not going anywhere for a while.

mschmidt64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 09:47 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Well Tavares contract is up in 2019. Brad probably would be bought out by then. So its a possibility.

Too far ahead to even think about though.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 10:03 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschmidt64 View Post
You know a player I'd like to get in here at some point? Not that this is a specific trade proposal, but still....

John Tavares.

He'd be a great top line center for once Richards gets too old.

Of course with Richards' contract, he's not going anywhere for a while.
Stamkos another possibility. He's gonna Bolt as soon as he becomes a FA.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 10:15 PM
BlessThisMess513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post

Pun intended?

BlessThisMess513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 10:21 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
I'm still curious to see how Stamkos performs when St.Louis retires. Not a whole lot of elite playmaking wings to choose from.

Course Stamkos could always move to wing.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 10:27 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
So we've determined that we wouldn't mind having John Tavaras or Steven Stamkos on our team.

Man, a lockout may be worse on this board than it was in 2004

Fire Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 12:11 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Lundqvist View Post
Bernmeister, why are you trying to blow this team up?

They're on the cusp of greatness and you're looking to deconstruct everything Sather did to get them to get them to this point?

There's no method to your madness.
CM, I wish our team all the best. To answer your question, there was a famous baseball player late 60s early 70s named Rico Carty, famous for the quote: I'd rather be lucky than good.

Our team is genuinely good. Very good.

But we also were very lucky last year. We blocked a gazillion shots, which would not be necessary with a better system and a more balanced team that generated more offense. It would not be unreasonable to expect more injuries, like cracked ankles on the rise, if we keep this up.

And our offense sucked. Yeah, we have Nash now, and in theory that offsets the loss of Gaborik til his return, so we're up a full year of Hagelin and Kreider, and that's about it.

So see the improvement yeah. But no one speaks the truth about the need for still more improvement.

I have a fundamental disagreement with the majority of the forum that Rangers are best served by a dramatic difference maker or two, even if at the cost of our best D after McDonagh.

It's an honest difference of opinion.

Similarly, while I agree with an overall need to fully develop, I think you can have selected accelerated promotion in the right situation. For example you wouldn't otherwise expect JT Miller to leapfrog into 2C. But if he plays well enough to make the club and Stepan is dealt and gone and his best match is with speedy line mates Callahan and Kreider/Hagelin, we should not be close minded about such promotion.

Some guys, we give a chance, they can't' cut it. Ok, fine.
Others, like Hagelin, McDonagh have shown they could be fast tracked.

I just am more receptive than most to such possibilities, and am roundly criticized for it usually.

There is no consistent right or wrong here for either me or my detractors, though they will say otherwise.

Be a servant to the truth, whatever that may be, and call em like you see em with an open mind.

Best......

Old
08-23-2012, 07:20 AM
bernmeister

With a week left in August, let's try this one before the thread phases out...

Assume all NMCs, NTCs, if any, waived. Something around (numbers are cap hit)

Rangers give up Stepan (1 yr 825,000) + Staal (3.975 for 3 years) [total 4.8m this season] + Rangers 3rd 2013 pick and 3rd 2014 pick
get back
Larssen from NJ (2 yrs 925,000 per), Tim Gleason ($4m for 4 yrs) [total 4.925m this season] from Carolina + ‘Canes 2nd 2013 pick and ‘Canes 2nd 2014 pick from Carolina

Carolina gives up
Gleason $4m for 4
Semin, 7m for 1 year
Skinner 1 yr 1.4m, 6 yrs 5.725 m for 6 yrs after
Faulk, 2 yrs 900,000 per
McBain 1.8 per 2 yrs
Roughly 8.9 next year
+ 2nd 2013 pick and ‘Canes 2nd 2014 pick

gets
Staal (3.975 for 3 years) + Kovalchuk (6.6+m for next 6 years +, ending 2025) + [total 10.575 this season] + Rangers 3rd 2013 pick and 3rd 2014 pick

Jersey gives up Larssen (2 yrs 925,000 per) + Kovalchuk (6.6+m for next 6 years +, ending 2025) [total 7.525 this season]
gets back
Alex Semin (7m for 1 year), Jeff Skinner (1 yr 1.4m, 6 yrs 5.725 m for 6 yrs after), Stepan (1 yr 825,000), Justin Faulk (2 yrs 900,000 per), McBain (1.8 per 2 yrs) [total 11.925 this season]

Rationale:
Devs believed to have real $$ issues, possibly likely forced to move at least Kovy. So instead of basic 3 way w/principals Staal + Stepan for Skinner + and basically Skinner for Larssen, the deal is expanded specifically to meet NJ need to deal w/cash finance issues. Devils get 5 for 2, and initially are 4.4 in cap hit over, BUT have ability to juggle roster to compensate or, if cash at a premium, can auction Semin off to highest bidder, which would cap wise push them from 4.4 down to 2.6 savings, not counting whatever salary is added with picks for Semin. They will seek to avoid this, since Semin is a great 1 year stop gap for Parise. More importantly long term, NJ saves close to a mil per on Skinner v. Kovy cap hit, with Skinner being a multi-year term that is more attractive than Kovy’s seemingly unending pact. On D losing Larssen hurts, but you get one nice building block in Faulk, plus McBain. Stepan is another block, or valued trade chip, adding depth to NJ’s F.

Canes give up a lot but upgrade to a mega line of Kovalchuk to added to Staal brothers Jordan and Eric at F, with Marc the anchor at D.

Rangers downgrade in Gleason, a nice piece but slightly overpriced at $4 m per, though still movable, compared to Staal. However, and well worth the cost of Stepan, Rangers get Larssen, a top righty D with very high potential to partner with McDonagh. Now all they have to do is sign both long term. NY also upgrades next two 3rd rounders into two 2nd rounders. We are stretched a little bit thinner, for the moment, at C, but Larrsen is worth it, with speedy JT Miller joining the fast Kreider and Callahan on the 2nd line.

NY’s D corps:
McDonagh - Larssen
MDZ - Girardi
Gleason - Stralman

Old
08-23-2012, 09:23 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post

Rangers give up Stepan (1 yr 825,000) + Staal (3.975 for 3 years) [total 4.8m this season] + Rangers 3rd 2013 pick and 3rd 2014 pick
get back
Larssen from NJ (2 yrs 925,000 per), Tim Gleason ($4m for 4 yrs) [total 4.925m this season] from Carolina + ‘Canes 2nd 2013 pick and ‘Canes 2nd 2014 pick from Carolina

Carolina gives up
Gleason $4m for 4
Semin, 7m for 1 year
Faulk, 2 yrs 900,000 per
McBain 1.8 per 2 yrs
Roughly 8.9 next year

gets
Staal (3.975 for 3 years) + Kovalchuk (6.6+m for next 6 years +, ending 2025) + [total 10.575 this season] + Rangers 3rd 2013 pick and 3rd 2014 pick

Jersey gives up Larssen (2 yrs 925,000 per) + Kovalchuk (6.6+m for next 6 years +, ending 2025) [total 7.525 this season]
gets back
Alex Semin (7m for 1 year), Jeff Skinner (1 yr 1.4m, 6 yrs 5.725 m for 6 yrs after), Stepan (1 yr 825,000), Justin Faulk (2 yrs 900,000 per), McBain (1.8 per 2 yrs) [total 11.925 this season]

Rationale:
Devs believed to have real $$ issues, possibly likely forced to move at least Kovy. So instead of basic 3 way w/principals Staal + Stepan for Skinner + and basically Skinner for Larssen, the deal is expanded specifically to meet NJ need to deal w/cash finance issues. Devils get 5 for 2, and initially are 4.4 in cap hit over, BUT have ability to juggle roster to compensate or, if cash at a premium, can auction Semin off to highest bidder, which would cap wise push them from 4.4 down to 2.6 savings, not counting whatever salary is added with picks for Semin. They will seek to avoid this, since Semin is a great 1 year stop gap for Parise. More importantly long term, NJ saves close to a mil per on Skinner v. Kovy cap hit, with Skinner being a multi-year term that is more attractive than Kovy’s seemingly unending pact. On D losing Larssen hurts, but you get one nice building block in Faulk, plus McBain. Stepan is another block, or valued trade chip, adding depth to NJ’s F.

Canes give up a lot but upgrade to a mega line of Kovalchuk to added to Staal brothers Jordan and Eric at F, with Marc the anchor at D.

Rangers downgrade in Gleason, a nice piece but slightly overpriced at $4 m per, though still movable, compared to Staal. However, and well worth the cost of Stepan, Rangers get Larssen, a top righty D with very high potential to partner with McDonagh. Now all they have to do is sign both long term. NY also upgrades next two 3rd rounders into two 2nd rounders. We are stretched a little bit thinner, for the moment, at C, but Larrsen is worth it, with speedy JT Miller joining the fast Kreider and Callahan on the 2nd line.

NY’s D corps:
McDonagh - Larssen
MDZ - Girardi
Gleason - Stralman
Im not so sure I'd trade Stepan for Gleason and Larson straight up. Thats how valuable centers are in this league.

But hey, why dont we throw in Staal too.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 09:32 AM
petejudge

bernmeister's trades in this thread are so inane i can't believe i'm actually reading them.

staal, girardi, and stepan for evander kane? jesus christ, i'd love evander kane on the team but did you forget that just 2 seasons ago the staal/girardi pairing was looked at as maybe the best in the entire league? staal's injury really makes people forget how good he is when he's healthy...basically this trade is to get rid of your top pairing defense PLUS your best young center for a winger who's a second liner on most good teams. sounds logical.

stepan, staal and 3rd rounders for larsson and gleason? again, gleason's a player i wouldn't mind having and i really like larsson but this is just gross overpayment.

thankfully sather isn't a maniac and would never do anything like this. the last thing this team needs is to have its core blown up. the chemistry already took a hit when anisimov and dubinsky were traded, why would you want to get rid of homegrown guys like staal, stepan, and girardi and show the rest of the team that there is no sense of loyalty in the organization and chemistry doesn't matter at all? either one of those trades would set the team back 3 years.

petejudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 09:49 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Bernmeister hates Stepan
Hates Girardi
Is in love with McD and Kreider (Kreider- won't be traded unless for Malkin or Stamkos)
Was in love with Anisimov.

And he loves to tear apart the team for one player.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 10:33 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Quote:

get back

Carolina gives up
Gleason $4m for 4
Semin, 7m for 1 year
Faulk, 2 yrs 900,000 per
McBain 1.8 per 2 yrs
Roughly 8.9 next year

gets

gets back

Rationale:

NY’s D corps:
McDonagh - Larssen
MDZ - Girardi
Gleason - Stralman
Rangers get bonned....HARD

Lose a 2nd line center with no replacement.

Lose an elite level shut down defenceman capable of 25+ points every year

get a 3rd paring defenceman in Gleason and a defenceman that still has alot of developing to do.

Larsson can be a very veyr good defenceman. Don't think he is there yet and not a player I am willing to part with Stepan and Staal for.

Defence is not the area you should be looking to improve upon.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 10:41 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by petejudge View Post
bernmeister's trades in this thread are so inane i can't believe i'm actually reading them.

staal, girardi, and stepan for evander kane? jesus christ, i'd love evander kane on the team but did you forget that just 2 seasons ago the staal/girardi pairing was looked at as maybe the best in the entire league? staal's injury really makes people forget how good he is when he's healthy...basically this trade is to get rid of your top pairing defense PLUS your best young center for a winger who's a second liner on most good teams. sounds logical.

stepan, staal and 3rd rounders for larsson and gleason? again, gleason's a player i wouldn't mind having and i really like larsson but this is just gross overpayment.

thankfully sather isn't a maniac and would never do anything like this. the last thing this team needs is to have its core blown up. the chemistry already took a hit when anisimov and dubinsky were traded, why would you want to get rid of homegrown guys like staal, stepan, and girardi and show the rest of the team that there is no sense of loyalty in the organization and chemistry doesn't matter at all? either one of those trades would set the team back 3 years.
You're ignoring that the 2 3rds return 2 2nds, so we move up both years.
Gotta give to get. You guys all whining about how we need another righty D.
Larsson is in class with McDonagh, no? Could have been #1 overall, no?

As to hometown guys we need not be cut throat, but showing there is opportunity to advance based on hard work is a plus. If Stepan is bumped, not only is that good for Miller who would make the squad anyway, and when he does, mark my words that he'll pivot Kreider/Hagelin and Callahan, but it is also a good message for a guy like Yogan, who MAY have enough scoring potential and MAY be able to make it here, but is going to have to bust his butt. When a guy like Yogan sees there are no sacred cows, and there is opportunity for promotion and advancement, that will pique his motivation.

As to the Kane proposal, I stand by that. Your concern: "basically this trade is to get rid of your top pairing defense PLUS your best young center for a winger who's a second liner on most good teams. sounds logical." is flawed in that it grossly discounts the value of Evander Kane, who IMO is pre-elite, with a high ceiling. If Nash can play either W, as I thought I read somewhere, Kane could be 1LW. I'm not saying that is my final decision on how I'd deploy my lines, but Kane is good enough to be 1LW on most clubs.

Kane = quality/class of Kreider; you have to overpay to get. Which I did w/o giving Kreider or McDonagh. You guys think Stepan is the second coming of Jean Ratelle. He's a nice productive player, a solid 2c with further potential. But he is NOT that talented, and we should not hesitate to upgrade most players, particularly one less special like Stepan.

Old
08-23-2012, 10:48 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Im not so sure I'd trade Stepan for Gleason and Larson straight up. Thats how valuable centers are in this league.

But hey, why dont we throw in Staal too.
We understand if you get premium talent only giving up great talent not premium (or instead lesser premium talent) or elite talent, you have to overpay.

No one wants to overpay more than is prudent.

I don't believe you could get Stepan for Larssen straight up. Stall + Step was a little too much so I tried to balance.

Staal currently = or > Larssen in many ways, but am factoring in potential upside.
McD >> than Staal
Larssen close to McD

Old
08-23-2012, 11:07 AM
Ave Maria
New Season New Dream

Send a message via Skype™ to Ave Maria
Quote:
We understand if you get premium talent only giving up great talent not premium (or instead lesser premium talent) or elite talent, you have to overpay.

I don't believe you could get Stepan for Larssen straight up. Stall + Step was a little too much so I tried to balance.

Staal currently = or > Larssen in many ways, but am factoring in potential upside.
McD >> than Staal
Larssen close to McD
im sorry, but can you stop making these proposals? They are usually from left field and usually give us a return of one good player and a mediocre side to pair with it, were as we lose multiple valuable players so we lose the depth we are known to have. Sorry to offend you, but I think the proposals are over the top at times.

Ave Maria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 11:16 AM
ck20

Quote:

McD >> than Staal
Larssen close to McD
So to you, McDonagh is already "exponentially" (assumed from your use of two(!) greater than signs) better than Staal..but Staal is equal to or better than Larsson, with Larsson being on McDonagh's level? So essentially you have no idea what you're trying to say?

Last edited by ck20: 08-23-2012 at 11:24 AM.
ck20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 11:23 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Lol yes. Larsson is almost on McD level. The same Larsson who was a healthy scratch in all but 5 of the Devils playoff games. It's a clown show here.

Old
08-23-2012, 11:24 AM
ck20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
Bernmeister hates Stepan
Hates Girardi
Is in love with McD and Kreider (Kreider- won't be traded unless for Malkin or Stamkos)
Was in love with Anisimov.

And he loves to tear apart the team for one player.
Girardi makes decisions on par with John Mitchell and Stu Bickel. He's not as good as people make him out to be. Just because he can eat minutes doesn't equate to him being a top-2 defenseman. He had a good stretch with McDonagh, but that was mainly because McDonagh is a monster and covered up for Girardi's flubs. Same goes for when he was paired with Staal: he was almost constantly having to bail him out for Girardi's screw ups. I wouldn't mind if Girardi was our #3, but the only other person that I feel would work well with Staal would be Del Zotto (I wouldn't use McDonagh with Staal simply due to having to break up their shut down styles effectively) and I'm not sure if DZ could handle almost 30 minutes a game night-in, night-out.

ck20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 11:27 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by htk30 View Post
Girardi makes decisions on par with John Mitchell and Stu Bickel. He's not as good as people make him out to be. Just because he can eat minutes doesn't equate to him being a top-2 defenseman. He had a good stretch with McDonagh, but that was mainly because McDonagh is a monster and covered up for Girardi's flubs. Same goes for when he was paired with Staal: he was almost constantly having to bail him out for Girardi's screw ups. I wouldn't mind if Girardi was our #3, but the only other person that I feel would work well with Staal would be Del Zotto (I wouldn't use McDonagh with Staal simply due to having to break up their shut down styles effectively) and I'm not sure if DZ could handle almost 30 minutes a game night-in, night-out.
Yeah OK. The coach thinks highly of him. He's a physical, shutdown defenseman. He had the most TOI of any D in the regular season (At least at some point- he still finished top 5.)

Oh yeah, and I don't know if you watched a lot of games, but Staal-Del Zotto was a colossal failure.

Torts likes to use lefties on the left side, righties on the right side. Sorry, but right now, our righty side is Girardi, Stralman, Bickel, and a concussed Sauer.

Old
08-23-2012, 12:23 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by htk30 View Post
Girardi has been one of the better players on the Rangers for 2 years running.

2 years ago, it was because of Staal. Last year it was McDonagh

The funny thing is that the only constant here is Girardi being consistently game in and game out solid.

I guess we are watching a different Dan Girardi.

And I'm one of the guys that wanted him traded after not coming to Gaborik's add during that Flyers game a few years back.

Staal and McDonagh were allowed to mature and become the players they are today BECAUSE of Girardi, not in spite of him.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 02:08 PM
Barnaby

Yea, Girardi, the guy who made an All Star team despite being a mostly defensive defenseman... Yea, he sucks...

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote