HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kadri centering the 1st line?

Old
07-14-2012, 03:53 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

vCash: 500
Kadri centering the 1st line?

I'd like to see him there for a good enough sample size, maybe all pre-season? He has lots of skill, you can't deny it, goes to the corners, draws penalties a lot with an agitating style of play. He would be an upgrade on Bozak, at least offensively, and is a great playmaker, as shown with great set-ups to stone-hands Lombardi.
Quote from http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=425702
Quote:
"Naz is a guy who brings a lot of skill. He's a guy who handles the puck really well and sees the ice really well, as well. He's able to find the open guys when it seems like everyone is covered and there's not much area to put the puck in. If he's got to put it through a few skates or a few sticks, he always seems to get it there."
-- John Tavares
What do you think?

Last edited by ULF_55: 07-15-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 03:55 PM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
He will get a shot, just like JVR and Bozak will. I don't expect Naz will be our #1 centre (imo Bozak will be) but I think he will crack the lineup. The kids is hungry.

Bravid Nonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 03:58 PM
samwitch

Would love for him to get a shot. He's ready to breakout. Hopefully the off-season workouts pay off and he comes into camp faster and noticeably harder to knock off the puck. That would be a success.

samwitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 03:58 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Don't think Kadri will get much time/practice with Kessel and Lupul up there in preseason. They already talked about JVR getting a long look there and I think the rest of the time will be given to Bozak since he is the fallback guy.

Grant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 04:00 PM
HockeyNightInBelfast
HockeyNightInBelfast

He'll have to earn it but hopefully he gets a shot.

Would love to see him get it!

TRaining w/ Gary Roberts is at the very least a statement of intention.

He was drafted as a centre, he prefers to play centre but we've wanted to convert him into a winger & now we also want to convert a winger (JVR) into a centre...?

HockeyNightInBelfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 04:00 PM
Wolfgang Krauser
LETS BURN IT UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan16 View Post
I'd like to see him there for a good enough sample size, maybe all pre-season? He has lots of skill, you can't deny it, goes to the corners, draws penalties a lot with an agitating style of play. He would be an upgrade on Bozak, at least offensively, and is a great playmaker, as shown with great set-ups to stone-hands Lombardi.
Quote from http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=425702

What do you think?
He might be, it all depends on how it unfolds in training camp and pre-season. Burke had said in the past that he wanted Kadri on the wing(Compared him to Kariya) but just this offseason he hinted at filling the #1 center spot internally with either Kadri or Colborne.

Patrick Kane played a lot of center this year, he and Kadri have a similar style of play, their hockey IQ is what they have to use to set themselves apart. Personally I rather see JVR on a line with Grabovski and Kulemin because the size, strength, skill and speed of JVR and Kulemin on the wings would be very hard to play against.

We shall see, at the end of the day, it's all up to Kadri

Wolfgang Krauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 04:02 PM
Wolfgang Krauser
LETS BURN IT UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture Vulture View Post
He'll have to earn it but hopefully he gets a shot.

Would love to see him get it!

He was drafted as a centre, he prefers to play centre but we've wanted to convert him into a winger & now we also want to convert a winger (JVR) into a centre...?
Kessel was drafted a center as well, but sometimes it does not work out that way. JVR also played center in NCAA as well as the WJC

Wolfgang Krauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 04:05 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

How on earth would he be an upgrade on bozak offensively? Bozak's PPG is much higher with many more games..

Sure, I hope Kadri will one day be better than bozak, but he certainly hasn't shown that thus far..

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 04:05 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh66 View Post
Kessel was drafted a center as well, but sometimes it does not work out that way. JVR also played center in NCAA as well as the WJC
Philly had a log-jam at C, so they couldn't fit him there, and Kessel was terrible on the center aspects. (Defense, Face-offs, etc)

Old
07-14-2012, 04:07 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield View Post
How on earth would he be an upgrade on bozak offensively? Bozak's PPG is much higher with many more games..

Sure, I hope Kadri will one day be better than bozak, but he certainly hasn't shown that thus far..
Bozak=Playing with Kessel for the majority, Kadri=5-10 game stints, playing with stone-hands Lombardi.

Old
07-14-2012, 04:12 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

i expect his attitude to be the same.

i think that selfishness and disinterest in the game when the puck is not on your stick is something someone cannot unlearn.

does gary roberts do a complete lobotomy?

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 04:14 PM
AtotheT
Sick, Wicked & Nazty

Our C Depth as of today:

#1 Bozak/Connolly/Kadri/JVR
#2 Grabovski
#3 McClement
#4 Steckel
(Lombo)

Some serious movement has to go down. After we signed McClement, Burke stated he's our 3rd line guy, which eliminates any suggestion that Connolly/Bozak/Lombardi would assume those duties. It also makes no sense to play skilled guys on the 4th line, where Steckel will handle that spot. Either our long list of centers are converted to wingers, or you can expect 2/3 of those C's I mentioned to get shipped out, perhaps Kadri being in consideration as well (as he has the highest trade value).

I was hoping Steckel would be moved and we could role McClement on the 4th line while having 3 scoring lines. That would allow us to role Kadri on the 1st line (as you stated) while having Bozak @ #3 and Connolly converted to wing.

All of this is assuming that our current lineup is the one we start the season with, which in all likelihood, won't be the case. If anything I could see Kadri getting shipped for a #1C or a #1G. For sure Kadri has the potential to center the top line, but that is if he's still with the club or if he can really impress at camp.

AtotheT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 04:14 PM
FireEverybody*

Quote:

Remove Phil and Lupul then add Joey ****ing Crabb to Bozak's line see how his PPG is after 82 games.

Kadri is by far our most offensively talented player outside Kessel.
Give him a chance to prove it.

FireEverybody* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 04:19 PM
HockeyNightInBelfast
HockeyNightInBelfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post

i think that selfishness and disinterest in the game when the puck is not on your stick is something someone cannot unlearn.

that's a bit hard on the kid, as are the rumours going around that he's been enjoying the rocknroll lifestyle a bit too much in T.O.

When you figure that the BIG club's marketing team had him on their tickets 2 seasons ago, it's go no mess w/ the kid's head.

It comes down to Naz but we've made it tougher for him than it should have been - hopefully some chump in the marketing dept got a slap in the head over that one. Ron Wilson was also a nightmare for him but you can see some of the frustration on Eakins face when he was talking about him end of season.

Make or break for Naz - go get 'em kid!!!!

HockeyNightInBelfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 04:20 PM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

My one concern about Naz is his boyish body type. Hes just not strong enough physically at this stage. I hope that changes by camp, because right now he's too light, too easy to dominate, and too susceptible to injury. If he can add some man-strength he could be a pretty dangerous player. Let's keep n mind that half of Kadri's game is his nasty edge. At the junior level, he's as good at winding people up and throwing a solid hit as he is at playing offence. It stands to reason that his effectiveness is neutralized at the next level due to his underwhelming physical stature and strength.

Durkin67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 04:39 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan16 View Post
Bozak=Playing with Kessel for the majority, Kadri=5-10 game stints, playing with stone-hands Lombardi.
Kadri took shifts with kessel, and bozak has had a lot of third line shifts too....

Old
07-14-2012, 04:42 PM
FireEverybody*

Quote:
Kadri took shifts with kessel, and bozak has had a lot of third line shifts too....
Are you seriously trying to argue Bozaks numbers are not inflated by playing with Phil and Lupul ? Kadri got very little time on ice with Phil and Lupul .. Bozak got more then any C on our team by far.

Old
07-14-2012, 04:55 PM
Kyle Doobas
#groovystats

vCash: 159
Quote:
Kadri took shifts with kessel
http://www.leftwinglock.com/line-com...gametype=ALL#A

Kadri was never on the ice with Kessel nor Lupul, not even on the powerplay.

Kyle Doobas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 05:20 PM
LeafsRReady

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post

Why - you think you need Gary's help?

LeafsRReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 05:22 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

It's an option but not an ideal one. There's enough skill on that line between Lupul and Kessel. What Toronto needs is center who is defensively responsible, could protect the puck, and cycle.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 05:23 PM
LeafsMonster
MeowLeafs is awesome

Really want him too because he has the potential and i don't need to mention the great amount of skill he possess. Working with kessel and lupul will IMO improve him and the line as a whole. He has worked with lupul and, although it was a sample size, he seemed to play well with him.

A downside to this is e is not nearly defensivley responsible nor good enough on faceoffs. Kessel and lupul are horrible defensivley and bozak is good at faceoffs. This will really only affect them badly if the defense is as bad as it was last year.

But i think the offense they will (hopefully) produce will out number the goals-
against.

I really want this line to be formed. It could be an explosive, goal machine. Just imagine the sicks passing and play making of Naz and the lupul-kessel dynamic duo finish . Make it happen

LeafsMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 05:40 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mojo Declinin View Post
http://www.leftwinglock.com/line-com...gametype=ALL#A

Kadri was never on the ice with Kessel nor Lupul, not even on the powerplay.
Then those stats are inaccurate because I distinctly remember seeing him on the ice with them.

@Fireeverybody: No, I agree that bozak's numbers were inflated for sure. I also think at this stage he's a better player than Kadri, and that kadri's numbers playing with kessel and lupul would not be as good as bozak's have been.

Old
07-14-2012, 05:47 PM
Count Von Grabo*

Just no. Not yet anyway.

Count Von Grabo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 06:01 PM
FireEverybody*

Quote:
Then those stats are inaccurate because I distinctly remember seeing him on the ice with them.

@Fireeverybody: No, I agree that bozak's numbers were inflated for sure. I also think at this stage he's a better player than Kadri, and that kadri's numbers playing with kessel and lupul would not be as good as bozak's have been.
Those numbers are right ... They are just the top 25 line combos of last year.
So yeah ... Lambo got more TOI with Phil and/or Lupul then Kadri.

The good old Steckel, Boyce, and Crabb line were on the ice more then Kadri-Phil-* or *-Kadri+Lupul lines.

Kadri played with Lombardi and Mac more then any other two.
What does not sound too bad until you remember how bad Mac was struggling to get put down on the 3rd line . and did not recover till he was put back with Grabo.

Old
07-14-2012, 06:09 PM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
For Spare Parts would rather have Deschamps tried on the first line haha

Bravid Nonahan is offline   Reply With Quote