HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Kadri centering the 1st line?

Old
07-14-2012, 11:26 PM
achtungbaby

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
So going from not being good enough for the NHL to being the best center on the NHL team based on what?

Leafs' fans have to be more patient with prospects.
Kadri at center, JVR at center, Tim Connolly at $4.5 million, Grabo at $5.5 million, and we're still looking for that elusive #1 center. This is starting to smack of desperation.

Play the kids and let the chips fall where they may. Its getting harder to see a less painful way through this.

achtungbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 11:29 PM
Marco Esquandolas
Registered Abuser

vCash: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield View Post
Because throwing Kadri on the first line when he hasn't earned it is contrary to that ideal...
That spot is pretty well open for the taking. I imagine JVR, Kadri, Bozak and maybe even Connolly will all get a crack at it in camp.

Marco Esquandolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 11:36 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Here is an article that was posted recently analyzing Kadri and comparing him to his draft class.

http://bleedingbluenwhite.blogspot.c...aft-class.html

He is right on track, and has actually done better than the majority of his peers.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 11:38 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by superrich View Post
That would be just terrible... and you spelled half the names wrong.
Not sure why people have so much trouble with the Lupul spelling..

He only has 5 letters (3 different ones) and his name is a palindrome (spelt the same forwards and backwards).

As far as Kadri goes it doesn't appear that Kadri is the #1 line center option particularly with Carlyle claiming JVR will auditioning for it in camp, while Burke claims he is shopping for one.

07-15-2012, 12:33 AM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mess View Post
not sure why people have so much trouble with the lupul spelling..

He only has 5 letters (3 different ones) and his name is a palindrome (spelt the same forwards and backwards).

As far as kadri goes it doesn't appear that kadri is the #1 line center option particularly with carlyle claiming jvr will auditioning for it in camp, while burke claims he is shopping for one.
maybe there sending a message to kadri, you better work extra hard this summer and be ready to play like a man, with men

cup67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 12:56 AM
Duffman955

He still has real good potential. I see him as a 70pt player in his prime. Kid has unreal hands and vision

Duffman955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 01:43 AM
dballislife2

this is his 3rd summer of training since drafted, if he can pack on the final 10 pounds and keep the speed with improved strength, he could be ready, for his size hes already a fairly physical and feisty player...him or trading him for a 1C creates our most balanced lineup

lupul kadri kessel
jvr grab mac
kule bozak frattin
steckel mcclement brown, komarov

-two dangerous scoring lines, a lot of skill here, good amount of size speed and talent on both lines
-3rd line with speed, grit and some O down the middle with two strong physical bangers with speed and scoring touch on the wings
-toughness and size on 4th line with specialty players for PK and FOs

when leafs brought connolly and lomdardi over last year, it really messed with kadris development becus they were vets and were being paid, factoring in kadri's vast potential i wouldn't say they provide more for this team than kadri, not at this point

Last edited by dballislife2: 07-15-2012 at 01:50 AM.
dballislife2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 01:50 AM
Wolfgang Krauser
LETS BURN IT UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cup67 View Post
maybe there sending a message to kadri, you better work extra hard this summer and be ready to play like a man, with men
Lupol is a great player, if only we could have got one of the Stall brothers to center him...two classic misspelled names

Wolfgang Krauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:31 AM
81Leafs50

there is a great article that talks about this.

http://*******************/toronto-maple-leafs

81Leafs50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 05:00 AM
saffronleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by cup67 View Post
trade with ana.

tor gets ryan, toni lydman

ana gets, lupol, percy,colborne, kulimun

jvr-kadri-kessel
macarther-grabo-ryan
connoly-macClement-frattin
karmolov-steckle- brown
I think we need to get Bobby Ryan, but the trade you proposed doesn't make much sense. Anaheim needs a second line center. They wouldn't merely exchange winger-for-winger (e.g., Ryan for Lupul++).

Grabovski would be ideal for Anaheim. Grabovski++ (e.g., Grabovski, Bozak & Ashton) would get the job done.

Lupul -- Kadri -- Kessel
JVR -- Connolly -- Ryan
Kulemin -- McClement -- Frattin
Komarov -- Steckle -- Brown

That'd be a solid line-up. Connolly can be a stop-gap 2C until someone like Colborne develops.

saffronleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 06:47 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

I hope he can do it, it would be nice if that was the case. He's come a long way defensively for sure.

07-15-2012, 07:07 AM
Rinzler

Kadri may very well be ready. Perhaps Gary Roberts program will get him over the size hump. Kadri is definitely too good for the AHL so he might as well seize the opportunity.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 07:50 AM
WesM

Try it, why not, give the kid a shot. It is his natural position

WesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 08:57 AM
samwitch

Does anyone know Kadri's faceoff numbers from the AHL this year? How many games did he play at C?

samwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:05 AM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Kadri should have been our #1 C last year.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:13 AM
diceman934

Kadri will play in the top six this year, but I really think it will be for another team.

If Kadri was drafted by any other team he would have played in the NHL last season for the whole year. I say he would have had around 30-35 points playing second unit PP and a 3rd line roll. This season he would have been moved up to a top six role.....

For the Leafs not to have him in a top six role this year would not be a surprise as it seems to be a very Leaf thing to do.....kill prospects.

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:22 AM
gravyface

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwitch View Post
Does anyone know Kadri's faceoff numbers from the AHL this year? How many games did he play at C?
Mirtle shot me down on Twitter when I said (wrongly) that Kadri played center "exclusively". I really thought he was centering the second line behind Colborne all year but I think he was playing wing with Zigomanis for most of the season. When Colborne was hurt, I'm pretty sure he played center in his place and I believe the playoffs too.

AHL stats are pretty much non-existent as far as I can tell, so no, I can't tell you how well he did on the draw, but from a few articles I've read recently, I can say that it's pretty unanimous that he was one of the best players on the Marlies run (along with Frattin).

I flogged this on another thread but I really like the idea of putting Grabovski on the top line: solves more problems than it creates, like:

- our best, highest paid center is on the top line getting top line minutes: yes, there's a puck possession "issue" but I think Kessel and Grabovski are dynamic enough to figure it out. Grabovski pound for pound is one of our strongest players; he's fearless and a diligent back checker who's solid on the draw. No question he's an upgrade over Bozak.

- Perhaps more importantly, we're setting realistically obtainable goals for our center prospects: Kadri on the top line? That's a pretty huge leap; JVR? again, another stretch for a guy looking to just be consistent as a top 6 forward and have an injury-free year. Colborne, again, long shot. But when you think of those guys (along with Bozak and Connolly) all of sudden you can look at those guys pencilled into the #2 hole with some confidence.

- that also creates a second scoring line, be it JVR Kadri MacArthur that'll face weaker competition.

- that in turn creates a true checking line of Frattin McClement Kulemin to take over the matchup/shutdown role from the Mac in the USSR line, a line which I feel can be just as effective in that role over time.

So something like this:

Lupul Grabovski Kessel (just a better line all around than when Bozak was centering it)
JVR Kadri MacArthur (2nd scoring line with a bit of size; can be fairly fluid with potentially Bozak and Connolly playing)
Frattin McClement Kulemin (matchup/shutdown line: size, speed, checking, with scoring upside)
Komarov Steckel Brown (energy line/PK/key draws)

Keep in mind that I'm all for obtaining a true #1 center, but until that happens, we do our best to put together the best lines possible from within, and I feel Grabovski on the top line achieves that: better, more complete top line, more realistic #2 center goal for our Marlie graduates and roster players we have now.

Last edited by gravyface: 07-15-2012 at 09:34 AM.
gravyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:42 AM
samwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
Mirtle shot me down on Twitter when I said (wrongly) that Kadri played center "exclusively". I really thought he was centering the second line behind Colborne all year but I think he was playing wing with Zigomanis for most of the season. When Colborne was hurt, I'm pretty sure he played center in his place and I believe the playoffs too.

AHL stats are pretty much non-existent as far as I can tell, so no, I can't tell you how well he did on the draw, but from a few articles I've read recently, I can say that it's pretty unanimous that he was one of the best players on the Marlies run (along with Frattin).

I flogged this on another thread but I really like the idea of putting Grabovski on the top line: solves more problems than it creates, like:

- our best, highest paid center is on the top line getting top line minutes: yes, there's a puck possession "issue" but I think Kessel and Grabovski are dynamic enough to figure it out. Grabovski pound for pound is one of our strongest players; he's fearless and a diligent back checker who's solid on the draw. No question he's an upgrade over Bozak.

- Perhaps more importantly, we're setting realistically obtainable goals for our center prospects: Kadri on the top line? That's a pretty huge leap; JVR? again, another stretch for a guy looking to just be consistent as a top 6 forward and have an injury-free year. Colborne, again, long shot. But when you think of those guys (along with Bozak and Connolly) all of sudden you can look at those guys pencilled into the #2 hole with some confidence.

- that also creates a second scoring line, be it JVR Kadri MacArthur that'll face weaker competition.

- that in turn creates a true checking line of Frattin McClement Kulemin to take over the matchup/shutdown role from the Mac in the USSR line, a line which I feel can be just as effective in that role over time.

So something like this:

Lupul Grabovski Kessel (just a better line all around than when Bozak was centering it)
JVR Kadri MacArthur (2nd scoring line with a bit of size; can be fairly fluid with potentially Bozak and Connolly playing)
Frattin McClement Kulemin (matchup/shutdown line: size, speed, checking, with scoring upside)
Komarov Steckel Brown (energy line/PK/key draws)

Keep in mind that I'm all for obtaining a true #1 center, but until that happens, we do our best to put together the best lines possible from within, and I feel Grabovski on the top line achieves that: better, more complete top line, more realistic #2 center goal for our Marlie graduates and roster players we have now.
Not a bad idea! Grabovski is a good two-way player no doubt. I'm sure a lot of different options will be tried there at camp. JVR, Grabovski, Kadri, Bozak, Connolly if he's still here. I could see all of them skating between Kessel and Lupul at some point during camp and/or pre-season. So many question marks!

samwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:45 AM
Ricky Bobby

The top 2 centers of any team in the league play 18+ minutes a night. Grabo will be one of those 2 centers.

The competition for that other spot is between JVR, Bozak and Connolly.

Kadri needs to 1st prove that he can be trusted to play 15 minutes a night on a consistent basis before being getting 18+ minutes a night.

I know everybody has completely written off Connolly ever being one of our top 2 centers and centering Lupul/Kessel again for us but he was a big reason why the Leafs were so good right out of the gate last season. He'll absolutely never be a fan favourite because of the passive style of hockey that he play but he does have the top end skill to be a legitimate top 2 center something Bozak clearly doesn't have. Connolly should be given the opportunity to win that job back.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:48 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
He still has real good potential. I see him as a 70pt player in his prime. Kid has unreal hands and vision
Definitely.

If he can put on weight this off-season he'll be in the NHL next year without a doubt. Great prospect with great potential who's improved on many aspects of his game that were criticized in junior hockey. The AHL has done wonders with his play.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 10:03 AM
gravyface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
The top 2 centers of any team in the league play 18+ minutes a night. Grabo will be one of those 2 centers.

Kadri needs to 1st prove that he can be trusted to play 15 minutes a night on a consistent basis before being getting 18+ minutes a night.

I know everybody has completely written off Connolly ever being one of our top 2 centers and centering Lupul/Kessel again for us but he was a big reason why the Leafs were so good right out of the gate last season. He'll absolutely never be a fan favourite because of the passive style of hockey that he play but he does have the top end skill to be a legitimate top 2 center something Bozak clearly doesn't have. Connolly should be given the opportunity to win that job back.
Agreed, and I'd much rather see all these question marks battling it out for the #2 center job; much more realistic expectations for everyone.

Put the best center on the top line: every other team in the league does it, why don't we?

Old
07-15-2012, 10:26 AM
number72

PPG in NHL. And Games played

Career PPG average vs Age of Player in Rookie Season

Average Career Length in Games vs Age of Player in Rookie Season

And any one single player has a probability of being better or worse than the average.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 10:43 AM
LeafsRReady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post

How does he do that? By playing him with Lombo and bringing back Crabb? Burke and Carlyle's plan seems to be McClement at 3C and Steckel at 4C. Exactly where does Kadri get a chance "prove" himself.

What is proven is that Connolly can't even beat out Bozak for the position and will be gone at the end of this year, if not sooner. Bozak has done a good job as a "place holder" but is not a true 1C. I would love JVR to work out, but it's probably less likely than Kadri working out in that position.

LeafsRReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 10:43 AM
gravyface

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
Career PPG average vs Age of Player in Rookie Season

Average Career Length in Games vs Age of Player in Rookie Season

And any one single player has a probability of being better or worse than the average.
Maybe it's the copious amounts of pool-side brews consumed yesterday, but what's your point here?

Old
07-15-2012, 10:50 AM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
Maybe it's the copious amounts of pool-side brews consumed yesterday, but what's your point here?
This was posted in a different Kadri thread about his development, progress and career upside (and so the point of the charts were inside of the context of that thread). It appears, the moderators merged that thread with this thread about Kadri centring the 1st.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote