HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Lockout Thread Part I

Closed Thread

Old
08-27-2012, 04:56 PM
TheDoctorLies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGOJackets!! View Post
Request a trade, you waive the NTC/ NMC

All teams throw into the travel pot that is distributed on a per mile basis - this is great

tv/ media/ apparel handled by the league and split evenly (this would be huge)
I would imagine that most NHL players with NTC/NMC's have them more to prevent a team from trading them somewhere undesirable (see Carter, Jeff trade to Columbus) than have them because they only want to play for the team they are currently playing for. Players understand that trades are a part of the business and most of them have zero control whatsoever over their fates in that regard. NTC's help those few players good enough to get them exert some amount of control over the organization they play for. Being upset over the Rick Nash situation isn't cause for those rules to change. If a GM doesn't feel comfortable giving a guy a NTC then he shouldn't give him one - even if that means trading the player prior to his contract expiring or letting the player walk as a UFA.

Splitting money into a travel pot makes sense. Teams in the Western Conference travel significantly more than teams in the Eastern Conference and that should be fixed. It doesn't have to be split completely even, maybe put a cap on how much a team can contribute or how much a team can receive, but it's a step in the right direction. Team's shouldn't be punished solely for being a farther distance from the teams they play.

I disagree 100% on your third suggestion. Teams should be rewarded for building and promoting their product. Yes, certain teams will always rake in the cash when it comes to TV/media/merchandise, but that's a fact of pro sports. These more successful teams shouldn't have to share everything. That doesn't mean there shouldn't be a better revenue sharing situation in the NHL, but it also doesn't mean large sources of revenue should be split evenly among the league's teams. There should be a cap on how much money a team can receive via revenue sharing and teams should be expected to "sink or swim" at a certain point. If you can't develop the fan base needed to succeed in the NHL and have to rely on revenue sharing just to break even even in good times for your team financially, then your team probably should move to greener pastures (this goes for anyone, not saying Columbus is a team like this).

Old
08-27-2012, 05:20 PM
Crede777
Deputized

The "list of 10 approved teams" thing after demanding a trade was completely unforeseen and not intended by the invention of the NTC/NMC. Most NTC/NMC clauses, like Nash's, don't actually say explicitly that a player may or must submit a pre-approved list of teams.

Yes it protects players from getting traded to undesirable organizations. However, demanding a trade and then listing 20/30 teams as undesirable is a flagrant abuse of the clause given by the team. It should be if a player is happy, he shouldn't be forced to be traded. If he's unhappy and demands a trade, the team should be able to trade him wherever.

Under this set of rules, teams and players take equal risk in agreeing to a contract.

As is, a player takes absolutely no risk in signing a contract with a team. If he doesn't like it there in the future, he can demand a trade AND dictate where he will go.

How it should be is that a player takes the risk that he may end up not liking the team. The team takes the risk that the player may not play up to his salary. The risk should be equal for both sides, not favoring the players like it currently does.

Old
08-27-2012, 05:24 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

If I recall, the money figures for travel, east, west, and winning pct of travel/east/west are completely convoluted and subject to conjecture.

With regard to NTC....

It could have a poison pill provision, allowing teams to abrogate the NTC, but only at a stiff penalty payable to the player.

Or, NTC's could be limited to the first two and last two years of a contract, with an abrogation penalty in those first and last two years, PLUS, a player could negotiate a "trade penalty" with a team... meaning: "you trade me and you have to pay me $X million dollars".

Old
08-27-2012, 06:01 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Are there any restrictions on NTCs now? Why are any needed, shouldn't they just be left to be negotiated between team and player? I see no need to create rules on these matters previously agreed upon by both parties.

I think the NTC came about as a way to give a player some control over his future in lieu of paying him more money. If a player has one, he should be able to use it however is permitted by the provisions of his contract. Don't like that? Don't give him the NTC or negotiate restrictions into the contract that govern how/when it applies. Otherwise, just keep your mouth shut and don't make stupid statements that damage your trade position!

Old
08-28-2012, 12:18 PM
BJfan
NobodyBeatsTheWiz!

just received the "work stoppage statement" from CBJ:

"As you may be aware, the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the National Hockey League and the National Hockey League Players' Association ("NHLPA") is set to expire on September 15, 2012 and both parties are actively engaged in negotiating a new agreement. It is the League's objective to reach a new Agreement with the NHLPA between now and September 15.

However, in the event a new Agreement is not reached in this timeframe and a work stoppage occurs, we wanted to make sure that you as a valued season ticket holder are aware that contingency plans are in place with regards to refunds and/or credits related to any cancelled games. Exact details regarding refunds and/or credits related to season ticket purchases for the 2012-13 season will be provided to you should a work stoppage occur.

Thank you for your support, patience and understanding. We will continue to communicate with you regarding the status of the Collective Bargaining Agreement negotiations as events warrant."

I feel so much better now

Old
08-28-2012, 03:06 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

I dont want to be bad but NHLPA and NHL are like Pat and Mat from great Czech story.

Old
08-29-2012, 09:43 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Young Guns

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=404044

Owners propose dropping cap to 58 million, without a salary rollback.

No idea why they'd propose such a thing without salary rollbacks and it's doubtful that the players accept this, but the CBJ would be sitting pretty.

Edit: And it's looking more likely that the Nash and Carter trades are going to end up looking like huge wins for the Jackets. Those contracts will likely end up being immense albatrosses under the new CBA.

Last edited by Samkow: 08-29-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old
08-29-2012, 02:30 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Maybe Howson knew why he traded Nash only for this value only let he is traded.

Old
08-29-2012, 03:18 PM
Roadman
Moving On

A "step at a time" process. Will be interesting to see what kind of response comes from the NHLPA after today's meeting.

Best guess is, not even half-way yet. But, if the will is there, the differences can be overcome, especially given the time constraint.

At least they are talking.

Old
08-29-2012, 04:07 PM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

Tim Panaccio ‏@tpanotchCSN

Meetings have now ended

Old
08-30-2012, 10:50 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Young Guns

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Question for you all.

Do we buy anybody out with the amnesty buyouts, if they're allowed?

Old
08-30-2012, 01:48 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Question for you all.

Mason?

Old
08-30-2012, 02:03 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
Mason?
and maybe Gilles

Old
08-30-2012, 02:06 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Question for you all.

Why bother? Mason has one year left.

Old
08-30-2012, 02:15 PM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

No,we don't have any bad contracts here.

Old
08-30-2012, 03:38 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
You wouldn't know that by reading the main or trade board. According to those experts (who may or may not be Andy Sutton), it's nothing but bad contracts.

Old
08-30-2012, 03:47 PM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
You wouldn't know that by reading the main or trade board. According to those experts (who may or may not be Andy Sutton), it's nothing but bad contracts.
Those 'experts' also believe Moore and Savard are less value than Corey Potter.

Old
08-30-2012, 04:06 PM
candyman82

Quote:
I agree. We may have some guys who are a bit overpaid (Umberger and Tyutin come to mind) but nobody whose contract is worth way more than their performance.

Note: When I say contract, I am looking at both term and caphit.

Old
08-30-2012, 11:54 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Those 'experts' also believe Moore and Savard are less value than Corey Potter.
I'm not the type to say "embarrassed to be a fan", but if my fellow fans suggested that Corey Potter had value any greater than what he was (someone who, at age 27, had played 9 NHL games), I'd have to play that card.

Talk about the worst of all worlds...the player who is better right now is also the one who will continue to improve, who is years younger, and who actually has value around the league.

Old
08-31-2012, 12:25 AM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
I'm not the type to say "embarrassed to be a fan", but if my fellow fans suggested that Corey Potter had value any greater than what he was (someone who, at age 27, had played 9 NHL games), I'd have to play that card.

Talk about the worst of all worlds...the player who is better right now is also the one who will continue to improve, who is years younger, and who actually has value around the league.
Alex Picard is better than Alex Ovechkin ... the Caps should buy Ovechkin out, he's way overpaid. I'm so glad we didn't draft first overall and get stuck with that bum.

Old
08-31-2012, 01:41 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:

But he doesn't play for Columbus. And Columbus is the worst team in the NHL. Therefore he's better than any Columbus player. Never mind that the team he does play for has selected 1st overall three years in a row now...

To be fair, though, that was just two idiots - one of whom is making a real name for himself. The majority of Oil fans in that thread reacted with a chorus of "no, that's just wrong" replies, some of which included derisive laughter at the idea.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
08-31-2012, 05:30 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
And in other news, I want to see Ed Snider, Jeremy Jacobs, James Dolan, and the rest of the stingy big-market ******* owners dragged into the street and shot for doing their best to force yet another lockout at the expense of every NHL player, half their business partners, and all the fans. Why in the hell aren't they getting lynchmobbed by their own side?

Old
08-31-2012, 07:37 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Players seem to be drawing a line in the sand on the economic issues. The owners are idiots and the players are being greedy. Bad news for us fans. I'm not optimistic for a full season at this point.

Old
09-01-2012, 10:57 AM
TheDoctorLies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
And in other news, I want to see Ed Snider, Jeremy Jacobs, James Dolan, and the rest of the stingy big-market ******* owners dragged into the street and shot for doing their best to force yet another lockout at the expense of every NHL player, half their business partners, and all the fans. Why in the hell aren't they getting lynchmobbed by their own side?
And you know it's the big market owners, how, exactly? The small market guys have no interest in a salary rollback?

I haven't seen any evidence that there's some contingent of small market owners pushing to get a deal done. They're all at fault.

Old
09-01-2012, 11:21 AM
slightlystewpid420

This is random but idk of u guys have seen the draft generators but in case of a lockout, jackets chances of getting 2 top 10 picks... Pretty damn good.

Closed Thread