HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

The Lockout Thread Part I

Closed Thread

Old
09-15-2012, 11:43 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
Before anyone gets too upset about the CBJ facebook folks or the org in general about another 'wtf' moment, you may want to consider that there could have been a very good reason for the change, and by extension, a reason why it had to be done before midnight. The staff were in Cleveland for an event today, which would explain the unfortunate timing of the update.
Come on John, don't let facts get in the way of a good conspiracy.

09-16-2012, 12:33 AM
BJfan
NobodyBeatsTheWiz!

I'm assuming my season pass thingy will probably show up Monday

Old
09-16-2012, 07:27 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Sweet. Less than 2 hours and it will no longer be Speculation or Potential.
Thread title updated.

Old
09-16-2012, 07:51 AM
EDM

I can't wait to get the CBJ email offering to take my "savings" from this year's lockout and credit it to my season tickets for next year.

Ummm, I won't be doing that.

Old
09-16-2012, 08:03 AM
BluejacketNut

And it barely registers as ripple in sports world....further sending this league into irrelevance

Old
09-16-2012, 08:19 AM
BJfan
NobodyBeatsTheWiz!

Just got the email:

As you may be aware, the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the National Hockey League and the National Hockey League Players' Association expired on September 15 and unfortunately, a new agreement has yet to be reached. It is the League's objective to successfully conclude negotiations for the new Agreement as soon as possible and avoid any delay in starting the 2012-13 NHL season. However, in the event a new Agreement is not reached in this timeframe and the work stoppage causes games to be officially cancelled by the National Hockey League, the Blue Jackets have established the following options for payments related to games cancelled.

IF YOUR ACCOUNT FOR THE 2012-13 SEASON IS PAID IN FULL YOU WILL HAVE TWO (2) OPTIONS TO CHOOSE FROM:

Option 1: Keep Money on Account and Receive a Credit of 4% Toward Future Ticket Purchases

Season ticket payments can be left on your account with the Blue Jackets and applied towards future ticket purchases such as remaining payments towards additional tickets for the 2012-13 season (i.e. single game tickets, group tickets, suite rentals, additional season tickets or playoff tickets) and/ or the renewal of your season tickets for the 2013-14 season.
Season Ticket Holders electing this option will be provided a credit of 4% calculated using simple interest. Interest will be calculated from the point at which a particular game is cancelled to the last day of the month for which the credit is owed.

Option 2: Request a Refund For Payments Related to Games Officially Cancelled

Season Ticket Holders requesting this option will be provided a full refund for any games officially cancelled.
Refunds will be processed within ten (10) business days of the last day of each month beginning in November and will be based upon the number of games officially cancelled in the applicable month.
Refunds will be processed using the same method of original payment (i.e. if you purchased your Blue Jackets ticket package using a credit card we will issue a credit to that same credit card). If you paid for your tickets with cash or check, we will issue a check made payable to the Season Ticket Holder of Record and mailed to the address we have on file. Please log on to www.MyBlueJacketsAccount.com to verify that we have your current address on file.

IF YOU ARE ON OUR MONTHLY PAYMENT PLAN (OR NOT CURRENT ON YOUR ACCOUNT) WE WILL PROCEED AS FOLLOWS:

We will credit the payments we have received to date against the last regular season home game (Home Game 45) and work backwards (Games 44, 43, 42, etc.). For example if under your payment plan you've only paid 60% of the total amount due for your tickets, your credit will be applied against the final 60% of the scheduled games (Home Games 19-45).
For those on monthly payment plans, we will continue to process the automatic payments you have authorized your bank or credit card company to make to us until we have received payment equivalent to the value of two-thirds of the games in your package. For example, this would be 30 games (i.e. Home Games 16-45) for a full season ticket holder.
In the event the work stoppage extends into the season, this plan is designed to keep your account current until games resume. When games resume, if the number of home games scheduled exceeds the number we have received payment for, we will reinstitute the automatic payments you have authorized your bank or credit card company to make to us. The remaining payments will be determined by taking the balance due and dividing the amount by the number of months remaining between the point the work stoppage ends and February 20 which is the last date we accept payments for the 2012-13 season. This plan also refunds your money if the number of cancelled games exceeds the percentage of the season you paid for. If we reach the point where the percentage of the season cancelled exceeds the percentage of your payments, we will offer you the same options outlined above for customers who are already paid in full - i.e. option to receive a refund or keep your money on your account and receive a credit of 4% calculated using simple interest that you may use in a variety of ways as outlined earlier in this letter.

With regards to your Blue Jacket Season Pass(es), you will receive your new digital ticket cards shortly after the conclusion of the work stoppage. Also, if you are interested in purchasing pre-paid parking in the parking lots surrounding Nationwide Arena, we will send you an email with the appropriate links to purchase parking following the conclusion of the work stoppage.

Again, it is the hope of all involved that agreement on the terms of a new Collective Bargaining Agreement will be reached quickly and that there will be no interruption or change in the original schedule of games for this season. However, as a valued season ticket holder we wanted to make sure you are aware that contingency plans are in place should any pre-season and /or regular season games be missed. Your support and loyalty is not something we take lightly or for granted. It is important to us that you remain an integral part of our team for many seasons to come. In the near future, you will be contacted by your personal NHL representative Gary Bettman to answer any questions you may have regarding the options outlined above. If you would like to discuss your options before then, please feel free to contact Gary at (212) 789-2000 or gbettman@nhl.com. We also have answers to a number of Frequently Asked Questions posted on our website. Please click here to see the Frequently Asked Questions related to the NHL Work Stoppage.

Again, thank you very much for your passion, loyalty and support. We hope to see you at Nationwide Arena soon.

Last edited by BJfan: 09-16-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Old
09-16-2012, 11:53 AM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJfan View Post
In the near future, you will be contacted by your personal NHL representative Gary Bettman to answer any questions you may have regarding the options outlined above. If you would like to discuss your options before then, please feel free to contact Gary at (212) 789-2000 or gbettman@nhl.com. We also have answers to a number of Frequently Asked Questions posted on our website. Please click here to see the Frequently Asked Questions related to the NHL Work Stoppage.

Old
09-16-2012, 01:10 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

Speculation: A prolonged lockout, and the CBJ could lose another 5-10 % of their STH's.

Old
09-16-2012, 01:17 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue View Post
Speculation: A prolonged lockout, and the CBJ could lose another 5-10 % of their STH's.
I think it could be more and there will be a number of downgrades.

No matter the out come of this lockout the small market teams will lose.

Old
09-16-2012, 03:17 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
I think 5% would be pretty generous, just my guess. At least the AHL will be phenomenal this year. Not many bright spots but that is one of the few. Losing the All-Star game will be disappointing if that happens, so I feel for you guys on that one. I'm mad at both sides, greedy players and greedy owners.

Old
09-17-2012, 12:02 AM
Ar-too

Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
If someone wants to give me tickets in the future, I'll go. Other than that, it's going to be a while before I attend or watch the NHL.

Old
09-17-2012, 07:22 AM
Skraut

Hockey fans who consider themselves die-hards like to poke fun at "fair-weather" fans who only show up for games when things are going their way.

It's a shame that we waste all this emotional energy following a fair weather league.

Old
09-17-2012, 08:21 AM
BluejacketNut

And now will be the most frustrating part, as it will have very little to do with the actual issues. Now its just a game of chicken, where each group wont want to be the ones to blink. So I expect very little to happen for the next month other then each group saying 'we're ready to negotiate, but they dont want to'. I've got 4 unions where I work (none of which im a part of) and nothing is more irritating then union negotiations

Old
09-17-2012, 10:48 AM
IBleedUnionBlue

The Wild offer STH's 10% interest to keep money in accounts.

Old
09-17-2012, 11:21 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Hockey fans who consider themselves die-hards like to poke fun at "fair-weather" fans who only show up for games when things are going their way.

It's a shame that we waste all this emotional energy following a fair weather league.
The only losers here are the fans. Both the league, owners, and players will still be very wealthy when it's all done. Maybe the fans need a union.

Old
09-17-2012, 11:25 AM
BJfan
NobodyBeatsTheWiz!

Quote:
The Wild offer STH's 10% interest to keep money in accounts.
10% sounds worthwhile. CBJ gives full STH 2%-4% back anyways with their reward card. For them a full season lost at 4% would almost be a wash if they don't give out this seasons reward card

Old
09-17-2012, 11:44 AM
IBleedUnionBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
The only losers here are the fans. Both the league, owners, and players will still be very wealthy when it's all done. Maybe the fans need a union.
The real losers are those people who are employed by arenas, business', bar's, & restaurants, etc. whose incomes are dependent upon 45 home hockey dates.

To your point that the fans are losers, all we will be missing out on is entertainment, which can easily be supplemented. I plan on going to Ft Wayne Komets games, and heading down to Gatlinburg and watching the Knoxville Ice Bears of the SPHL.

Old
09-17-2012, 12:16 PM
Columbus Mike
Next CBJ GM

vCash: 272
Quote:
The real losers are those people who are employed by arenas, business', bar's, & restaurants, etc. whose incomes are dependent upon 45 home hockey dates.

To your point that the fans are losers, all we will be missing out on is entertainment, which can easily be supplemented. I plan on going to Ft Wayne Komets games, and heading down to Gatlinburg and watching the Knoxville Ice Bears of the SPHL.
This is the point that I think Bettman and Fehr don't get, which has some irony to it. I used to be a big baseball fan, until 1994 rolled around, and they cancelled the World Series. I found other things to do, which is what is going to happen here for many of the fans. Since then, I've been to four MLB games.

Old
09-17-2012, 12:39 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus Mike View Post
This is the point that I think Bettman and Fehr don't get, which has some irony to it. I used to be a big baseball fan, until 1994 rolled around, and they cancelled the World Series. I found other things to do, which is what is going to happen here for many of the fans. Since then, I've been to four MLB games.
about the same...i went to several Braves games when i lived in Atlanta, but only b/c my good friend was a bar manager there and i rarely spent any money...

Old
09-17-2012, 12:47 PM
Stretch Factor

I've read through the last 3-4 pages of this thread and have been a little surprised by what I've seen. APATHY

I remember back in 04, the threat of losing games was a big freakin' deal to me and most people in the hockey community. Now it doesn't seem like people care all that much. I honestly don't care either. I gave up my PSL and tickets two seasons ago. Haven't missed them one bit. I'm still a fan of the team and I am still engaged in what they do, but I don't need to attend games in person to follow the team.

APATHY- is the real issue that should scare owners and players. But, I get the sense they don't get it. And, they won't get it until it's too late. The TV networks on the other hand measure apathy every time they air a television show. Their advertisers measure apathy too, and they don't spend big bucks to advertise products on shows people don't care about.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why the owners continue to support a commissioner who promotes apathy.

I'll never forget, coming out of the last lockout the CBJ brought in Bettman for a Q&A with PSL holders. A PSL owner asked Bettman, "why didn't you do a deal with ESPN?"
His response- "I thought they should show us more love." He even said it with a cocky smile.

Whether you love or hate ESPN is not the issue. It doesn't even matter if you watch their TV network, listen to their radio network, or read a column on their website. The issue is they set the agenda for what Americans care about in the world of sports. Just like the NY Times sets the news agenda. ESPN's coverage or lack there of, sends a message to other media outlets what to cover. They no longer cover the NHL in any meaningful fashion.

When this lockout is over, I think the fan apathy will be even greater. Sure, the big markets will still be successful because they'll get big cable TV deals, but the small markets will still be screwed and no one will care.

Old
09-17-2012, 02:40 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch Factor View Post
I've read through the last 3-4 pages of this thread and have been a little surprised by what I've seen. APATHY

I remember back in 04, the threat of losing games was a big freakin' deal to me and most people in the hockey community. Now it doesn't seem like people care all that much. I honestly don't care either. I gave up my PSL and tickets two seasons ago. Haven't missed them one bit. I'm still a fan of the team and I am still engaged in what they do, but I don't need to attend games in person to follow the team.

APATHY- is the real issue that should scare owners and players. But, I get the sense they don't get it. And, they won't get it until it's too late. The TV networks on the other hand measure apathy every time they air a television show. Their advertisers measure apathy too, and they don't spend big bucks to advertise products on shows people don't care about.
We lost an entire season, and were promised that the season was not lost in vain. The changes were going to ensure that we wouldn't go through that again, and that "Cost Certainty" would result in lower costs for fans. We've known for quite a while that the 2nd wasn't coming true, and now we're realizing the first was in the same situation as well.

Yet here we are again, in a no-win situation for the fans.

For me personally, I just feel like this whole thing has been a P.T. Barnum routine, and that I was the sucker for believing that the lost season of hockey was needed to provide changes to grow the game and prevent something like it from ever happening again.

fool me once and all that.

How much do I want to invest emotionally in a league that is just going to jerk its fans around like this every few years.

Old
09-17-2012, 02:43 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Oh, sure, sure. I'd love to have "contract those loser teams", firing Gary Bettman, and a contractually obligated minimum number of trades completed at the deadline (with minimum levels of "interesting player movement") as additional inflexible bargaining table requirements. It'd also be interesting to decry any hockey fans who are looking at other entertainment options as being scabs.

Seriously. Why do folks keep repeating such madness?

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
09-17-2012, 02:53 PM
FlaggerX

At first I don't understand why the Jackets stood with the owners. AFter all, we're a small market team which would greatly benefit from the revenue sharing the players want. We have the all-star game and stand to lose it. We need a decent season to remind fans that Blue Jackets hockey doesn't need to be all about the suck.

On the other hand, if McConnell turns his back on the owners right away, the players will feel emboldened. Right now we're in the "chicken" stage of negotiations. Both sides think whoever blinks first loses. Management probably feels that if they don't appear unanimous right out of the gate they'll strengthen the players hands. Maybe he got promises to make sure Columbus gets the next All-Star Game regardless of what happens if he stands pat. Maybe he just hates unions. It's impossible to know And while they're trying to 'win' we in stands lose.

For me OSU hockey and basketball will have to fill the gap until sanity returns to the world. Granted, the Johan can use a season of AHL hockey, so that's good, but nothing else about this is.

Old
09-17-2012, 03:03 PM
JDCox17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
How much do I want to invest emotionally in a league that is just going to jerk its fans around like this every few years.
I can understand that. But as someone who's been a baseball fan going back to the early-1980s, I'm somewhat hopeful that the cycle can be broken at some point. We'll see.

Old
09-17-2012, 03:09 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCox17 View Post
I can understand that. But as someone who's been a baseball fan going back to the early-1980s, I'm somewhat hopeful that the cycle can be broken at some point. We'll see.
Here's a link to a good article from PuckDaddy on just that subject:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...tml#more-41368

Same as it ever was...

Closed Thread