HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Lockout Thread Part I

Closed Thread

Old
09-20-2012, 11:03 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
So what conclusion are you drawing? Is 57% too high, too low, with "enhanced" revenue sharing? Do you think that 53-57% range is going to be a road block even with additional revenue sharing? How does guaranteed contracts play into these negotiations and numbers?

What I find interesting is that the player feel they have a right to that operational income from the large market teams. At least the smaller market teams do, so they can, ultimately, pass that along to the players.
You're asking me to make decisions I don't have to make, and probably won't. I believe the issues are more macro than percentages and what constitutes HRR.

Do the wealthier owners have the stomach for "labor" strife every few years as new ways to subsidize "growth" markets? Are there lasting alternatives to subsidization besides contraction? And do fans have the stomach to tag along for the ride?

Old
09-20-2012, 11:41 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Anybody experiencing withdrawal?

Not me, ...yet. If they can stay out, so can I.

Old
09-20-2012, 12:19 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
You're asking me to make decisions I don't have to make, and probably won't.
Basically you are stating that you aren't going to have an opinion? Umm, ok... Then why post?

Quote:
I believe the issues are more macro than percentages and what constitutes HRR.?
I never brought up HRR, I think I agree in that, it is a Red Herring. However, percentage as it applies to a Cap that players don't want as well (even more important than percentages) as revenue sharing from large market to small market teams is a the root of the conflict.

This conflict revolves around one key point for the players. Revenue sharing and how they can get their hands on the profits the large market teams make. Outside of that and the percentage of revenue as applied to the cap, is all superficial crap that can be ironed on in a matter of days. Most issues probably in hours, if they haven't already been decided.

Old
09-20-2012, 12:21 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post

Not yet, but that is mostly because of the Reds taking up my time right now.

09-20-2012, 12:28 PM
Monk

Quote:

Thank god for fantasy football.

Old
09-20-2012, 12:40 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Basically you are stating that you aren't going to have an opinion? Umm, ok... Then why post?

I never brought up HRR, I think I agree in that, it is a Red Herring. However, percentage as it applies to a Cap that players don't want as well (even more important than percentages) as revenue sharing from large market to small market teams is a the root of the conflict.

This conflict revolves around one key point for the players. Revenue sharing and how they can get their hands on the profits the large market teams make. Outside of that and the percentage of revenue as applied to the cap, is all superficial crap that can be ironed on in a matter of days. Most issues probably in hours, if they haven't already been decided.
So I have to pick between the owners and the players? I might as well not post if I'm not going to pick? I can't just assess the situation as deeper than "one side or the other" and have that be satisfactory?

Seriously, blah, this sounds like something you'd be totally comfortable with my doing, since my opinion doesn't mean a lick. I have read you post this same sentiment on other topics. In fact, because of the way I think the issue breaks down, it makes even less sense for me to "pick sides."

Old
09-20-2012, 12:52 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
So I have to pick between the owners and the players? I might as well not post if I'm not going to pick? I can't just assess the situation as deeper than "one side or the other" and have that be satisfactory?
No, you don't. Actually I am not picking sides. Just because you think a 50/50 split is fair (not saying that is your opinion), that doesn't mean you are siding with the owners.

Actually I have some ideas that I haven't heard yet. I may at some point discuss them.

Contrary to what might be coming across, I am not for the owners. However, I am certainly not in the court of the players. What I will say is that the owners demands are as idiotic as the players demands.

Quote:
Seriously, blah, this sounds like something you'd be totally comfortable with my doing, since my opinion doesn't mean a lick. I have read you post this same sentiment on other topics. In fact, because of the way I think the issue breaks down, it makes even less sense for me to "pick sides."
I was trying to get you to express an opinion on the issues. It doesn't have to be about which side you pick. I already said there are more than two sides on a regular basis. Some of these issues are and should be considered owner issues. Some of the players concerns are near and dear to my heart. I was also trying to get you to express any opinions that might differ from the party line on either side.

What is this thread going to be? Simply saying the owners suck or the players suck? Sounds like this years elections and you better have some opinions on those issues (which I won't ask about). :p

Yes, your opinions don't mean lick, as you put it, for 95% of the topics we have. Does it matter what we think the line combos should be, for example? Does it matter if we think Murray should be with his junior team or not? The list could go on forever, yet we still talk about them.

Old
09-20-2012, 01:28 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

I have sort of signed on to the theory that this is a battle between the 8 or 9 big money franchise owners and the players, with the rest of the small market team owners somewhere in the middle.

The good thing is that there is agreement that the league needs revenue sharing. The bad thing is that those 8 or 9 owners and the players cannot, or will not, come up with a reasonable plan to address it.

Old
09-20-2012, 01:36 PM
EspenK

Here are my thoughts on this fubar:

1. While originally optimistic it would be short, I am now thinking that it will last until at least December and I think its at least 50/50 there is no season.

2. I think the owners just need to hold out for a complete decoupling of revenue and the cap. To guarantee the players a set percentage of revenues is ridiculous.

3. The owners need to get revenue sharing thought through and come to a workable agreement among themselves to keep some sort of competitive balance in place while assuring big market teams can still make a profit and smaller market teams can survive.

4. The owners need to put rules into effect that protect them from themselves. Biggest one that would imo do more to help than anything is to make the cap hit what you pay in a year. No more of this average salary bs.

Old
09-20-2012, 01:48 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
No, you don't. Actually I am not picking sides. Just because you think a 50/50 split is fair (not saying that is your opinion), that doesn't mean you are siding with the owners.

Actually I have some ideas that I haven't heard yet. I may at some point discuss them.

Contrary to what might be coming across, I am not for the owners. However, I am certainly not in the court of the players. What I will say is that the owners demands are as idiotic as the players demands.

I was trying to get you to express an opinion on the issues. It doesn't have to be about which side you pick. I already said there are more than two sides on a regular basis. Some of these issues are and should be considered owner issues. Some of the players concerns are near and dear to my heart. I was also trying to get you to express any opinions that might differ from the party line on either side.

What is this thread going to be? Simply saying the owners suck or the players suck? Sounds like this years elections and you better have some opinions on those issues (which I won't ask about). :p

Yes, your opinions don't mean lick, as you put it, for 95% of the topics we have. Does it matter what we think the line combos should be, for example? Does it matter if we think Murray should be with his junior team or not? The list could go on forever, yet we still talk about them.
I have an assessment of the situation. I don't have an opinion on how it should play out.

Old
09-20-2012, 02:21 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:

Nope. I've got Crew, Reds, Bengals, Bobcats and Buckeyes. Check back in November.

Old
09-20-2012, 02:25 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
You already pointed out a distinction when you stated "running a business" from "sports franchise". Secondly, you stated it was a league wide issue with all owners.

While I would state that your ownership makes you a little more unique, comparing a franchise (A single Subway for example) has some principles the same but it sufficiently different to make the experience only moderately useful.
My company is a LITTLE bit bigger than your typical Subway franchise, but that's beside the point. The point is while the specifics of every business are different, the overall principles of business are the same. That's why there is no course in the business college called "Union Busting 101."

Old
09-20-2012, 03:09 PM
Iron Balls McGinty

Quote:

Not me. I'm in the process of buying a house that will probably keep me mentally and physically involved that until November at least if everything goes according to schedule.

Old
09-20-2012, 03:16 PM
jktsfan*

I personally hope this lockout lasts a long time. I don't care if its the whole season. In the end, I hope both sides agree on how much of the pie they are going to get and hopefully, due to the lockout, the pie is much smaller for years to come. And before you think otherwise, I'm not a couch fan. My wife and I have been to somewhere around 120 games in the last five years as well as fessing up the $$ to get center ice for those away games and home games we cant attend. My money isn't going anywhere near the NHL for a good while.

Old
09-20-2012, 03:21 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
I think the owners just need to hold out for a complete decoupling of revenue and the cap. To guarantee the players a set percentage of revenues is ridiculous.
How do you propose the cap number be set?

Old
09-20-2012, 03:42 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Forgive me if this has already been posted, but I thought it was worth sharing:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl--nh...g-returns.html

Old
09-20-2012, 03:58 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
How do you propose the cap number be set?
I would think set it at where it is at (or lower if you can get the players to agree) for a couple of years or so or allow small growth 1% for three years and then keep it at no more than 3% tied to some indicator that could make it lower but wouldn't allow it to go higher.

Just so that if owners market better, strike better tv deals, can get higher ticket prices, etc. they reap most of the benefit.

Old
09-20-2012, 05:16 PM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

Quote:

Experiencing withdrawal here. Seriously.

Can't stand the slow pace of baseball, NFL interests me only marginally, and will NEVER care about the NBA.

I need hockey, and I'm sad to admit that...

Old
09-20-2012, 08:19 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:

Thank God for the Western Hockey League. In fact, in recent years, I've actually preferred the hockey in the 'dub to the hockey in the NHL anyhow ... there's a lot more competition and surprises with the kids.

Plus, college football season is in full swing. Once that's gone it might hurt a little more ... but the fact of the matter is, it would only be preseason anyhow.

Old
09-20-2012, 08:58 PM
Nikita Filatov

I want my NHL back

Old
09-21-2012, 12:01 AM
Paisano*
Jury is still out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derby View Post
Experiencing withdrawal here. Seriously.

I need hockey, and I'm sad to admit that...
Nothing sad about that!! We love the game and want it back....its greed thats killing not only hockey but all pro sports. These freakin lock outs every 5-6 years are a joke!

Old
09-21-2012, 06:48 AM
Porkopolis

I'm ready for some ECHL action. Not the same skill level as the big boys, but the passion and excitement are there by the truckload. Not to mention I can sit front row center ice for under $20 and walk to the arena from my apartment.

Old
09-21-2012, 06:59 AM
BluejacketNut

For those able bodies out there, look at your local hockey programs. Here they have stick and pucks where you just go out in pads and do whatever you want to do in a practice setting. You're never to old to start and to get out there is a blast. The last lock out showed me how much more I enjoy actually playing the game rather then spending the money to watch over paid athletes

Last edited by BluejacketNut: 09-21-2012 at 07:04 AM.
Old
09-21-2012, 08:27 AM
WALLY

Quote:

Nope.

I actually emailed my rep this week for refund options beyond the two they offered.

I was going to go down to a 10 or 6 game pack this season because we have a 9 month old... BUT got suckered in for another 20 games so we could do all of the ASG stuff.

If it's cancelled... I'm gonna flip out.

Old
09-21-2012, 08:55 AM
GrimReeper

Doesn't hockey lose money almost until Thanksgiving? I don't think the owners are too urgent at the moment.

The owners want December hockey and on. Especially the game outside on NYD. I'd bet on some progress from the Owners in the next few weeks.

However, last time the owners held out they got what they wanted. So who knows.

Closed Thread