HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Lockout Thread Part I

Closed Thread

Old
09-27-2012, 10:46 PM
Bobcat110

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Strange ... is the ticket rep job that demanding, or is there some reason they don't last (moving up?)?
Well..it is a sales job...and the product they are trying to sell sucks....then there's the whole lockout deal.

Old
09-28-2012, 12:35 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

NEW YORK -- NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell tells fans "you deserve better" than games worked by replacement officials.

If football fans deserve better than actual game officiated by replacements, what does that say about what the NHL thinks we, as hockey fans, deserve?

Old
09-28-2012, 12:58 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
NEW YORK -- NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell tells fans "you deserve better" than games worked by replacement officials.

If football fans deserve better than actual game officiated by replacements, what does that say about what the NHL thinks we, as hockey fans, deserve?
Not a darn thing. Not remotely related.

Old
09-28-2012, 04:36 PM
bester vaive
Fear the Titan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post

On the lighter side:
http://www.theonion.com/articles/nfl...r-brutal,29710

Old
09-28-2012, 06:02 PM
mcsauer2738

Haven't posted in a while and I was really looking forward to see your team this year. But I'll be honest, I don't think there's going to be a season.

Old
10-01-2012, 09:36 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 9523
Quote:
Josh Rimer ‏@JoshRimerHockey

Former TML GM & NHL Agent Bill Watters thinks Gary Bettman's will bring in replacement players in NOV, & thinks this will crack the Union.

Bill Watters also seems to think the guys in their late 30's might cross the picket line to make that last paycheck b4 they retire.
Of course, this is just hypothetical.

Old
10-01-2012, 10:02 PM
EDM

Oh yes, replacement players !!! That is what I want to see for $75 per seat per game. Where are the Owls when you need them?

Old
10-01-2012, 10:04 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue View Post
I'm pretty sure that there'd have to be a declaration of an impasse that is approved first. The NHL made the last proposal, and the NHLPA is sitting on their hands...who knows, the possibility exists.

Old
10-01-2012, 10:34 PM
CBJWennberg41
Me when I watch CBJ

Quote:
LOL! Yeah, right. No way in hell.

Old
10-02-2012, 08:47 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Can't stress how bad of an idea this is.

10-02-2012, 09:32 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...4345--nhl.html

Here is the Krys Barch rant:

Quote:
"I sit here from Gand Bend, Ontario putting a pen to my heart and writing on paper what bleeds out. My name is Krys Barch. I have played approximately 5 1/2 years in the NHL and have worked for every second of it. I haven't been a 1st round pick, bonus baby or a son of a hall of famer. I have made it through sweating, bleeding, cut Achilles, broken hands, concussions, broken orbital bones, 8 teeth knocked out, etc, etc, etc.

"I sit in front of a fire, 8 OV deep and starting a bottle of Porte that will assist in the translations of my emotions to words! No different than a truck driver, farmer or line worker, I have a shot and a beer. Not to deal with the days ahead but to ease the nerves from what my body has endured the days before.

"I sit here with both my boys sleeping and my wife due with our 3rd. My thoughts racing on what I can conquer tomorrow to get our family ahead. Sometimes, wondering if I should have existed when a word and a gun solidified and solved all problems. I feel the Wild West would more simplified than the world we live in now when an employer who makes billions of dollars and a league with record revenues can tell me that I can't do the things that my heart tells my me to do!

"All what my heart tells me to do far surpasses what my body has endured. As I write this I dive deeper and deeper into my bottle of Porte giving wider views to the depths of my heart. As my pen warms from the fire, Neil Young and a fall Canadian night, I wonder how this work stoppage effects the owners?

"I wonder if the owners of Boston, New York, Washington, etc, etc, have endured any of the injuries that I or any other player in the NHL have endured. Still they probably sit their smoking the same brand of cigar, sipping the same cognac, and going on vacation. To one of five houses they own. While we sit here knowing they want to take 20% of our paychecks. One half to 3/4 of my peers will have to work for the next 50 years of their lives.

"Congratulations to the lucky select few that I have played with who have made salaries that they can choose to do whatever they want when they are done. But I have played most who do not!

"If the NHL wants to teams in the south or struggling markets than the players along with the financially well to do teams need to start working together. Or they need to start to move teams to the North where they will make money. The system allows the owners to continually take money from the players contract after contract where eventually over 40 some years the owners will have 80% of revenue. The only way to stop the work stoppages long into the future is fix the root cause of the problems.

"The lockout is a procedure to take from the players to pay for the NHL mistakes. Let not allow the NHL to make any more mistakes.

"Let the league and the players to come together to fix the mistakes that have been made and make sure non are made in the future. Let's get a deal where the owners, players, and fans benefit from. We're we can be sitting around in beautiful Canadian falls around a fire playing and watching the game we love.

"Here's to the truth and our next conversation. As always speaking from my heart! Goodnight! Like me or hate me I speak what comes from my heart!"

Old
10-02-2012, 09:37 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=406504

Gretz with the half-full attitude.

Old
10-02-2012, 10:01 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Assuming that the statements that half the teams in the NHL lost money last year is accurate, we're listening to a career 4th-liner (who wouldn't even have an NHL career if there weren't 30 teams in the league) complaining that he made more than at least 15 NHL owners.

What Barch and many others seem to conveniently forget is that many NHL owners aren't third-generation trust fund babies; they're guys who started at the bottom of the ladder and worked their way up piece by piece. Barch bemoans the fact that players will have to work the next 50 years, while trashing the guys who already DID work the last 50 years to be able to own an NHL team.

Look at Mike Ilitch. The son of immigrants, who went from high school into the Marines for four years, and then had a brief minor league baseball career. He was 26 years old and had little money, and started a pizza shop. That was in 1959.

Look at Henry Samueli. Son of Jewish immigrants from Poland, who fled Nazism with the clothes on their backs. Worked his way through high school, and ended up with advanced degrees and became a college professor. Started a business with a former student, which struck gold.

Look at Peter Karmanos. The son of Greek immigrants, and spoke no English until he entered school. Started a software company in 1973, right as the infancy of personal and business computing was on the horizon.

Look at Ronald Burkle. Started as a bag boy at a grocery store, dropped out of college, and founded a successful private equity firm.

And so on. But yeah, Krys Barch knows more about struggling (because he's rode the buses in the AHL and been injured) than any of those guys.

Old
10-02-2012, 11:44 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Interesting read. Actually he has an entertaining writing style.

I want to consider Jared Boll for a second. He has made, to this point, 1.665 million. Let's just knock that down to 800k after taxes. The average 50k a year person would have to work 16 years with no taxes to bring in what he has in 3.

With Boll's pay raise, he is still well below half of the average salary in the NHL. That is for another two years. So add another million or so after taxes and we are now to over 30 years for the "average" worker. Probably closer to 40 years. Not too shabby for a 4th line punching bag after 5 years (whenever this lock out is done).

Hmmm....

I feel his pain.

Yes these guys "deserve" more money than the average worker, but I'm not sure they are worth more than a brain surgeon. Actually I am positive they are not. They aren't worth anymore than a Hollywood B lister IMHO. I'm getting to the point I'd rather watch a good movie and I'm widening my scope of what constitutes a good movie.

I am not for the owners, especially the large market owners. But I empathize with the small market owners far more than the players.

Seriously increase revenue sharing, knock the split down to 50/50, call it a day and play some hockey. Frankly I still think my idea is moronic, but it's probably where we are going to start to head anyway. They aren't going to get 57% and the players are going to insist on increased revenue sharing.

Old
10-02-2012, 12:54 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Interesting read. Actually he has an entertaining writing style.

I want to consider Jared Boll for a second. He has made, to this point, 1.665 million. Let's just knock that down to 800k after taxes. The average 50k a year person would have to work 16 years with no taxes to bring in what he has in 3.

With Boll's pay raise, he is still well below half of the average salary in the NHL. That is for another two years. So add another million or so after taxes and we are now to over 30 years for the "average" worker. Probably closer to 40 years. Not too shabby for a 4th line punching bag after 5 years (whenever this lock out is done).

Hmmm....

I feel his pain.

Yes these guys "deserve" more money than the average worker, but I'm not sure they are worth more than a brain surgeon. Actually I am positive they are not. They aren't worth anymore than a Hollywood B lister IMHO. I'm getting to the point I'd rather watch a good movie and I'm widening my scope of what constitutes a good movie.

I am not for the owners, especially the large market owners. But I empathize with the small market owners far more than the players.

Seriously increase revenue sharing, knock the split down to 50/50, call it a day and play some hockey. Frankly I still think my idea is moronic, but it's probably where we are going to start to head anyway. They aren't going to get 57% and the players are going to insist on increased revenue sharing.
The market clearly disagrees.

Old
10-02-2012, 01:20 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman82 View Post
The market clearly disagrees.
Luckily I said IMHO and not "the market". However, thanks for stating... Nothing...

I was pretty sure I was stating my opinion on their worth (yes, a hockey player isn't worth jack in the scheme of things. They only have value because we are willing to pay a premium for entertainment, which I feel dumber and dumber about daily) and I'm pretty sure that was fairly obvious that was my intent.

Old
10-03-2012, 02:52 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Assuming that the statements that half the teams in the NHL lost money last year is accurate, we're listening to a career 4th-liner (who wouldn't even have an NHL career if there weren't 30 teams in the league) complaining that he made more than at least 15 NHL owners.

What Barch and many others seem to conveniently forget is that many NHL owners aren't third-generation trust fund babies; they're guys who started at the bottom of the ladder and worked their way up piece by piece. Barch bemoans the fact that players will have to work the next 50 years, while trashing the guys who already DID work the last 50 years to be able to own an NHL team.

Look at Mike Ilitch. The son of immigrants, who went from high school into the Marines for four years, and then had a brief minor league baseball career. He was 26 years old and had little money, and started a pizza shop. That was in 1959.

Look at Henry Samueli. Son of Jewish immigrants from Poland, who fled Nazism with the clothes on their backs. Worked his way through high school, and ended up with advanced degrees and became a college professor. Started a business with a former student, which struck gold.

Look at Peter Karmanos. The son of Greek immigrants, and spoke no English until he entered school. Started a software company in 1973, right as the infancy of personal and business computing was on the horizon.

Look at Ronald Burkle. Started as a bag boy at a grocery store, dropped out of college, and founded a successful private equity firm.

And so on. But yeah, Krys Barch knows more about struggling (because he's rode the buses in the AHL and been injured) than any of those guys.
Good post, good perspective.

I think its easy to place blame on one side or the other, without looking closely at the situation. The fact is professional sports leagues are very complicated businesses held up by financially savvy owners and highly skilled professional employees....both of which walk hand in hand with their large egos.

I like the parity we have in the NHL compared to say MLB. Overall I'm pleased with how the league is run, and I hope the players get what they want (or close to it) without disrupting it. The parity I'm referring to is the only life line we have in Columbus, because this organization will not survive 10 more years of ****** teams.

Old
10-03-2012, 04:53 PM
cbjfan

It is kind of sad, but I am finding myself to be very apathetic regarding this lockout as compared to 2004-2005.

Thank goodness for Fox Sports Soccer, which will keep me intrigued with Barclay's Premier League and UEFA Champions League soccer. Significantly more entertaining that anything the Blue Jackets have done over the past few years.

I miss hockey, but nowhere near as much as I did 7 years ago.

Thanks NHL and NHLPA.

Old
10-03-2012, 11:43 PM
leesmith
Still in.

Prediction: we WILL have a season this year, BUT the first game will be the Winter Classic.
Prediction 2: Columbus WILL host the NHL All-Star Game... in 2014 (2015 if NHL players participate in the Olympics in Russia).

Old
10-04-2012, 07:45 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjfan View Post
It is kind of sad, but I am finding myself to be very apathetic regarding this lockout as compared to 2004-2005.

I miss hockey, but nowhere near as much as I did 7 years ago.

Thanks NHL and NHLPA.
In the same boat, I feel a lot of it is

Some of it is knowing that the lockout isn't the end of the world, and hockey will be back.

Some of it is not being so emotionally attached to a league which thinks it is OK to do this to its fans every couple years.

Old
10-04-2012, 11:16 AM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Is Barch really sipping Porte while complaining about how tough his life is?

Does he not realize that NHL players currently make an inordinately high percentage of the revenue related to their sport/league? Compare that to the percentages made by NFL and NBA players.

Old
10-04-2012, 11:43 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
I'm pleased with how the league is run, and I hope the players get what they want (or close to it) without disrupting it. The parity I'm referring to is the only life line we have in Columbus, because this organization will not survive 10 more years of ****** teams.
I can safely say that I don't really care all that much about the details. The owners are owners. Complaining about them is kind of silly. The players are just as greedy, if not more so, than the average rich guy. I find it amusing they get much sympathy with rising ticket prices and their fat contracts. They aren't trying to fight the man, they are the man.

What I do know is that with the level of revenue sharing, combined with the cap floor calculation as it exists now, the players can not stay at the same level of league wise revenue without some major market shifts (contraction, some teams moving to, potentially, better markets). Very few sane people want contraction. Sadly most of those people that do make up the large market sports media and the fans following those teams. Sprinkle is some Canadian superiority complex and you've listed out most of the less than sane individuals.

So, as I said before, if these jokers want to play hockey. The players need to ask for less league revenue and the owners need to put in place better revenue sharing. It's either that or a totally different system than we have now.

Old
10-04-2012, 12:06 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
The players need to ask for less league revenue and the owners need to put in place better revenue sharing. It's either that or a totally different system than we have now.
I think you're right and, by now, I think all parties recognize this. Eventually, the players' share of revenue must drop to 50% and the conditions and proportions of revenue sharing have to be crafted realistically in order for all markets to have a shot at profitability. The current hang up, as I see it, is that the owner want the players' portion to drop immediately to that level, forcing rollbacks in salary and instant relief from their own stupidity. The players hate that idea and suggested repressing wage growth, which was an empty gesture. I think the players see the inevitability, and perhaps even the justice, in the 50/50 split, so it's time to figure out how to get there quickly enough to satisfy the owners, but gradually enough not to invalidate existing contracts. Can that be done soon enough to save the season? Sure, it could have been done months ago. That it wasn't does not bode well; because, day by day, more and more ego and anger are driving the sides. The one hope I have is that Fehr and Bettman, no matter how one feels about either, are skilled professional negotiators and understand the ultimate importance of a deal that allows both sides to return to a cooperative work environment. No owner wants to be cold-shouldered when he enters his own locker room and no player want to negotiate a contract with an owner out for revenge!

Old
10-04-2012, 12:30 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Is Barch really sipping Porte while complaining about how tough his life is?

Does he not realize that NHL players currently make an inordinately high percentage of the revenue related to their sport/league? Compare that to the percentages made by NFL and NBA players.
I'm more curious to see Barch say all this with a straight face to an NFL player, where annual renegotiations are a simple fact of life. Contracts aren't worth the paper that they're written on, the injuries are generally more severe and have more long-lasting effects, and the careers are much shorter.

At least hockey has a minor-league system where guys like Barch can carve out a living...what's football have? Construction? Restaurant work?

Old
10-04-2012, 12:49 PM
BluejacketNut

Barch just shows how out of touch they are. I always like how they stand behind Fehr in their tee shirts and hats, looking like they just got out of bed.

Closed Thread