HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Lockout Thread Part I

Closed Thread

Old
10-04-2012, 01:22 PM
EspenK

vCash: 500
First bunch of regular season games - 84 in total ***** canned. This is going to drag on. I now see better than 50/50 whole season is toast.

Old
10-04-2012, 02:12 PM
aRussian

Looks like I'll just be sticking to tv then. I won't be paying into this crap. Stupid of me to not be able to just walk away with my middle finger held behind me but I will not be buying more merchandise or tickets...

I'm just sour overall; if they cared they'd sit their butts down and keep talking. "Thank you fans! You are what make it all possible" (I see what they mean now, we keep coming back for more and allowing this to happen )

Old
10-04-2012, 06:52 PM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

Watching the FSN High School football game Olentangy V New Albany and who is doing the sideline color? None other than our out-of-work-due-to-the-lockout arena host, Mike Todd. As unnerving as it was to see and hear him, his "talents" are better suited to local HS football than professional sports. He's definitely a local yokel, and it seemed like a good fit.

Honestly, not having to see or hear him a few times each week at the arena has been one of the few bright spots for me in this whole lockout.

Old
10-05-2012, 07:24 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Wake me when the millionaires on both sides are done crying.

Old
10-05-2012, 12:53 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 0
What wil it take to win you back?

Mods: I don't know if this is deserving of a separate thread. I put it here because it is lockout related. If this has been discussed before, please forgive me.

I found this interesting article in the Globe and Mail today:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle4590674/

So the question is, what will it take for you to come back if and when this is settled? They are really going to have to woo me back. If they want my money, come and get it, offer me the moon. I am serious, if they keep calling this a business, then businesses woo customers. I will be interested to see what the CBJ and the NHL does, because a message on the ice thanking the fans ain't gonna cut it.

Old
10-05-2012, 01:03 PM
blahblah

For me, individually. Nothing. My money will be sitting in my STH account ready to spend.

I've never believed in long term damage from these work outages. There is an effect, but you will also notice how quickly revenue stabilized and grew after the last lock out.

Yeah, some markets might take some time to ramp up. But a 7-0-3 streak is enough to get back most of the fans.

Old
10-05-2012, 02:48 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Sorry, I don't believe anyone on this site saying "I'm done." I get everyone is upset, but if you continue to come on here to complain about the status of the negotiations, you obviously care, and will be back immediately when the season starts.

Old
10-05-2012, 05:25 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
I'll never really be done with hockey, however long this lasts.

But it'll take awhile to care about the NHL as much as I did before. Right now, I honestly don't care at all. The whole thing infuriates me and it's just better for me to find something else to do until these clowns figure out what to do.

The good thing is, I've found I can enjoy hockey many other ways than the NHL. I've also found my interest in college and pro football revitalized.

Hockey will always be my one true love, but as long as it keeps pooping on my head, I think I'll spend a little more time and energy elsewhere.

Old
10-05-2012, 05:43 PM
Ar-too

Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
I'll probably go to games when they come back, but I don't care nearly as much about this lockout as I did the last one. If the NHL went away forever, I wouldn't care very much.

Old
10-05-2012, 05:47 PM
Cyclones Rock

It's just a management/labor disagreement. It's nothing more. It will ultimately be worked out and hockey will still be hockey.

I'll be watching a much improved ECHL product for a while. Perhaps Umberger can come to Cincinnati. The first line is set. If he improves his work ethic then perhaps he can play on our second line and get some PP time as well.

Old
10-05-2012, 06:26 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
I'll never really be done with hockey, however long this lasts.

But it'll take awhile to care about the NHL as much as I did before. Right now, I honestly don't care at all. The whole thing infuriates me and it's just better for me to find something else to do until these clowns figure out what to do.

This is exactly how I feel. I'll always be a hockey fan no matter what, but the level of caring has gone down a few notches for sure. The last lockout I was missing it like the desert misses the rain. Now it's just "eh", it is what it is, millionaires vs billionaires fighting over who should get more money.

Old
10-05-2012, 08:05 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Sorry, I don't believe anyone on this site saying "I'm done." I get everyone is upset, but if you continue to come on here to complain about the status of the negotiations, you obviously care, and will be back immediately when the season starts.
Seconded. I'm a huge fan of the game and always will be. My recommendation is to give the NHL a scare to make them realize how important people like myself are - by not giving them any revenue from me for double the term of the lockout. I'll still watch the games on TV and support my team fully, however they cannot expect to sell me any merchandise or anything else for that length of time.

If it has got to be about money, I'd love to make them realize where their money is coming from.

Old
10-06-2012, 02:58 AM
FANonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
Hockey will always be my one true love, but as long as it keeps pooping on my head, I think I'll spend a little more time and energy elsewhere.
Hopefully in a shower...

Old
10-06-2012, 06:50 AM
BluejacketNut

I'll still watch, but there is zero plans in my future to spend any money on the product. After spending close to $30k over the last 11 years, theyve lost my financial support

Old
10-06-2012, 07:31 AM
EspenK

Interesting interview with Fehr

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...3338/?page=all

Old
10-06-2012, 03:51 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
I'll be watching a much improved ECHL product for a while. Perhaps Umberger can come to Cincinnati. The first line is set. If he improves his work ethic then perhaps he can play on our second line and get some PP time as well.
... what?

Umberger's work ethic is very good already and I'm sure he'd be head and shoulders the best player on the team judging from the roster. I know the Aces added Dubinsky, Gomez, and others. Have the Cyclones added any NHL caliber players?

Last edited by Crede777: 10-06-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old
10-06-2012, 04:36 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
... what?

Umberger's work ethic is very good already and I'm sure he'd be head and shoulders the best player on the team judging from the roster. I know the Aces added Dubinsky, Gomez, and others. Have the Cyclones added any NHL caliber players?
I think/hope he was kidding

Old
10-08-2012, 10:49 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

My passion for the NHL dies a little bit with every losing season for the Blue Jackets and no major front office changes to attempt to fix the ship. And no, bringing in a part-timer to advise the clowns who made this mess does not count as major in my book.

Old
10-09-2012, 09:07 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
My passion for the NHL dies a little bit with every losing season for the Blue Jackets and no major front office changes to attempt to fix the ship. And no, bringing in a part-timer to advise the clowns who made this mess does not count as major in my book.
I guess firing the head coach this past season, and having 8 head coaches in 11 seasons isn't enough change either...

I also assume that firing the entire scouting staff responsible for one of the worst drafting teams ever. Nope that's not change either in your book.

But hey, we're all experiencing apathy, if it helps you to blame yours on a false reality where changes aren't being made go for it. We all have to have our own coping mechanisms to get us through this stupid lockout.

Last edited by Skraut: 10-09-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Old
10-09-2012, 10:34 AM
BluejacketNut

Doesnt matter what deck hands youve got when the captain is the idiot

Old
10-09-2012, 07:47 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
I guess firing the head coach this past season, and having 8 head coaches in 11 seasons isn't enough change either...

I also assume that firing the entire scouting staff responsible for one of the worst drafting teams ever. Nope that's not change either in your book.

But hey, we're all experiencing apathy, if it helps you to blame yours on a false reality where changes aren't being made go for it. We all have to have our own coping mechanisms to get us through this stupid lockout.
Talk about your false realities! I specifically said "front office." Gheez!

Old
10-10-2012, 07:48 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Talk about your false realities! I specifically said "front office." Gheez!
Funny, In my reality the Blue Jackets list those names on their "Front Office" Staff directory...
http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=48283

how does it work in yours?

Old
10-10-2012, 08:58 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Funny, In my reality the Blue Jackets list those names on their "Front Office" Staff directory...
http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=48283

how does it work in yours?
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that he was talking about Howson and above.

I knew what he was talking about, you knew what he was talking about. He wasn't talking about a new coach every season or the turnover in scouting, he was talking about arguable gains from the GM and what appears to be a pretty dramatic decline in performance from the office of the President from the only other turnover in 10+ years. Dougie. I wouldn't be surprised if he was dumping on the owner again as well (who, ultimately, is responsible for those in the GM and President position).

Sure we can beat this dead horse a few more times. Howson needs gone, IMO, but that isn't happening anytime soon. You may not agree, but that really doesn't matter all that much in the scheme of things. Priest needs replaced, that might happen soon. Hell Priest could very well welcome that.

Ultimately there is a group of people that believe that the person that should have been gone during the decision to relieve Hitch or Howson was Howson. There are those that agreed that Hitch should be gone, but that didn't mean they supported Howson. Howson's performance as a GM doesn't justify his continued employment. Priest's performance doesn't justify continued employment. Yet, those are the most stable positions on the team right now.

I see you mentioned the scouting staff, but let's face it. That was Howson's responsibility. If they weren't doing the job, that is on him.

This is the lockout thread, however. Davidson would be a nice start to change during the lockout. That is the kind of change that Lee is probably looking for. Let him figure out if Howson is worth saving.

Last edited by blahblah: 10-10-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old
10-10-2012, 09:50 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that he was talking about Howson and above.

I knew what he was talking about, you knew what he was talking about. He wasn't talking about a new coach every season or the turnover in scouting, he was talking about arguable gains from the GM and what appears to be a pretty dramatic decline in performance from the office of the President from the only other turnover in 10+ years. Dougie. I wouldn't be surprised if he was dumping on the owner again as well (who, ultimately, is responsible for those in the GM and President position).
It can't be "Howson and Above" because Lee mentioned Craig Patrick who is neither.

This is what I'm trying to get people to see. It's a Front Office, and there are a hell of a lot more to running a team than just 2 guys. But this is where the current groupthink blinders are focused on. Change is happening all around but it seems Howson is a master magician, because you're all so busy looking at him, that you're not noticing it.

Over half of my videos contain no current Blue Jackets players. Yet every trade deadline/July first we sit through the inevitable "Howson isn't doing anything" posts. If that is the case I hope the lockout ends soon so I can see Zherdev and Fritsche again.

You can argue that the WRONG changes are being made. That is perfectly fine. You can argue that the changes you want aren't being made, that is also fine. But to argue that NO changes are being made is completely myopic and ignoring the larger picture.

I'm asking posters to think. There isn't any hockey to watch, we have plenty of time for it.

Old
10-10-2012, 10:14 AM
blahblah

Quote:
It can't be "Howson and Above" because Lee mentioned Craig Patrick who is neither.
I see the reference he made. I still don't see where you are going with it, however. He obviously considered a senior adviser part of the front office. The scouting staff is as well, but he probably didn't give much thought to them. I really don't either. The GM either listens to them or doesn't.

Personally I think he has diminished the role of someone, somewhere. Things feel a bit different even if Patrick isn't directly responsible since he came on board. My understanding is that Patrick didn't actually hit the ground running and was pretty behind the times.

Personally, I didn't read your link but I wouldn't consider the coaching staff part of the front office if they do. They are the coaching staff. Yeah, I read your link now. From a house keeping perspective they are front office I guess. However, they generally make little to no decisions that I consider front office (contract, game ops, etc). Much like I don't think Jeff Rimer does as well. He listed as front office which is a joke. Moving Billy D to TV from Radio doesn't exactly smack of a front office decision.

Basically the Jackets took nearly everyone employed, who wasn't a player, ice girl, or mascot and listed them. Hell I even see my season ticket rep in that list. They change all the time. I don't think that was what Lee was looking for for "change" in the front office (I've had like 8 different STH reps over the years).

Last edited by blahblah: 10-10-2012 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Read closer
Closed Thread