HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Lockout Thread Part I

Closed Thread

Old
08-16-2012, 11:43 AM
BluejacketNut

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue View Post
We are knocking at the door to the 3rd lockout under Bettman. And you are putting blame upon Fehr of the MLBPA who led the players union through 1 strike, and baseball hasnt had a labor interruption in 15 plus years?

I personally have great admiration for Fehr and think this guy has great vision. IMO, he is fully aware of strengthening the league which in turn benefits both ownership and the NHLPA.
With Fehr at the helm, we're almost turning the knob on the 3rd lockout.....in which I will have even less interest in the NHL if it goes that route. I despise unions

Old
08-16-2012, 12:18 PM
ndd17

Gary Bettman said the two sides are “still apart, far apart".
Don Fehr said “a pretty substantial monetary gulf.”
http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...-proposal.html
Preparing to the lockout?

Old
08-16-2012, 12:46 PM
HoldFast13
DESTROY!!!!

Maybe a dumb question but if there is a lockout what are the rules governing what NHL players could possibly play in Springfield? Is it just an option for guys on 2 way contracts?

Old
08-16-2012, 01:07 PM
BluejacketNut

Doesnt the AHL uphold the NHL rulings? Cant recall if players played in the AHL during the last lockout, so I may be wrong

Old
08-16-2012, 01:51 PM
EspenK

I seem to recall some of the young guys playing in Syracuse last time

Old
08-16-2012, 03:03 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
With Fehr at the helm, we're almost turning the knob on the 3rd lockout.....in which I will have even less interest in the NHL if it goes that route. I despise unions
To be honest this statement doesn't make a lot of sense. Had this been the 3rd strike, you could be upset at the Player's Union, but what we're looking at is the 3rd lockout of the players by the owners.

It takes 2 parties in order to have a disagreement, yes. But other sports seem to have the strikes where the players association essentially says, these are the terms, or we're not playing.

In the NHL it seems to be the owners who say, these are the terms, or you can't play.

Old
08-16-2012, 03:24 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 543
Quote:
So atleast you admit your bias.

Old
08-16-2012, 06:10 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Several weeks ago I thought this NHL/NHLPA contract was going to be done in time for a normal start time season.... not so sure now...

Old
08-16-2012, 06:20 PM
ThisIsMyAlibi
Howson = Herminated

The owners will win. Like they should.

Old
08-16-2012, 06:53 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsMyAlibi View Post
The owners will win. Like they should.
I'm not in either camp but I know one thing, these long term contracts that go over 10 years (or so long that the dude will be on SS if an American ) need to stop.. I also think the free agency age needs to increase a few years.

Last edited by Robert: 08-16-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old
08-16-2012, 08:14 PM
punk_o_holic

vCash: 50
I can't remember what happened with the last lock out so I will ask here. If a lock out takes place and a season is lost, what happens to the contracts? For example, what happens to Mason? Is he a RFA or is he still owed 1 year before he becomes a RFA?

Old
08-17-2012, 12:03 AM
jdhebner
HFBoards Sponsor

I think the status of the lockout year would be negotiated. Last lockout everyone lost a year of salary, but had the year count. There were quite a few expensive UFAs after the lockout. Tampa was hit the hardest by this IMO.
I predict something similar will happen: players lose a year of salary, but the year counts against the contract.

08-17-2012, 12:15 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhebner View Post
I think the status of the lockout year would be negotiated. Last lockout everyone lost a year of salary, but had the year count. There were quite a few expensive UFAs after the lockout. Tampa was hit the hardest by this IMO.
I predict something similar will happen: players lose a year of salary, but the year counts against the contract.
My opinion, the league and player union is nuts to blow a NHL season during a time when the WORLD economy is hurting..

If the power brokers of the NHL and player union skip this season it will cost both owners and players many years to recoup the money lost...

These greedy people are sparing about our money... where is the fan (who pays the bill) input in all of this? Think about that.

Old
08-17-2012, 07:09 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
My opinion, the league and player union is nuts to blow a NHL season during a time when the WORLD economy is hurting..

If the power brokers of the NHL and player union skip this season it will cost both owners and players many years to recoup the money lost...

These greedy people are sparing about our money... where is the fan (who pays the bill) input in all of this? Think about that.
Not only this, but what about all of the other employees that work for teams, or ancillary organizations that count on their income to survive? What about the tax money that cities count on for schools, fire and police? What about all of the hotels, bars, and restaurants that count on the surge in revenue during the hockey season?

This lock-out won't hurt the players. They are already making plans to play in Europe, or in the KHL. They will do just fine. The owners will be fine too. Most make plenty of money off of their primary businesses. And, agree or not, most fans will be fine, they just won't have hockey.

It is all the people that no one ever talks about that will be hurt the most by this.

The last lock-out, I believe the CBJ gave the PSL holders the option of keeping the money in their CBJ account, or having the money returned to them. I left it in my account, but that aint happening this time. They aren't going to make a dime off of my money. I will only leave enough to hold my seats if that is required, but this time, I will make money on my investment, not the CBJ.

Old
08-17-2012, 08:12 AM
Bobcat110

I kinda like the idea of another lockout. Would save some aggravation of watching this team and get some cash back. Hopefully, they don't run it too long though, if it's another full season, the CBJ likely lose a top 3 pick. Starting up in December would work well...tickets sell pretty well around Christmas break and would give a good 6 weeks or so of play before All-Star game.

Old
08-17-2012, 08:21 AM
Matt

Sure going to miss NHL hockey this winter. Guess I will revert to college hockey again like I did the last time.

Old
08-17-2012, 09:17 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat110 View Post
I kinda like the idea of another lockout. Would save some aggravation of watching this team and get some cash back. Hopefully, they don't run it too long though, if it's another full season, the CBJ likely lose a top 3 pick. Starting up in December would work well...tickets sell pretty well around Christmas break and would give a good 6 weeks or so of play before All-Star game.
No All-Star game in that scenario. Apparently even if they only start 2 weeks late the All-Star game is cancelled.

Old
08-17-2012, 09:24 AM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
No All-Star game in that scenario. Apparently even if they only start 2 weeks late the All-Star game is cancelled.
I'm curious where you heard that?

What a bummer that would be. I would be almost as mad at losing that as I would losing the whole season. Wow, talk about a really, really big buzzkill.

Wonder what happens to all the folks who bought partial or full seasons just to get the ASG? Boy will they be po'd.

I sure hope it doesn't come to that.

Old
08-17-2012, 01:04 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat110 View Post
I want a season if, for nothing else, to get a little bit of redemption. We're presently still in "When it rains, it pours" mode, with a terrible season, incompetent management letting it happen, 3 GWGs against in the last 10 seconds of games with one affected by the clock, losing the lottery, and the All-Star Game in jeopardy next.

Old
08-17-2012, 01:20 PM
JacketsFanWest

What are the rules about sending players down to the AHL if there's a lockout?

Could someone like Mason get sent down? It might be the opportunity he needs to retool his game, but if he does actually improves and needs to pass through waivers when the lockout ends, then it would all be for nothing.

Old
08-17-2012, 01:21 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
I'm curious where you heard that?

What a bummer that would be. I would be almost as mad at losing that as I would losing the whole season. Wow, talk about a really, really big buzzkill.

Wonder what happens to all the folks who bought partial or full seasons just to get the ASG? Boy will they be po'd.

I sure hope it doesn't come to that.
I also heard they would get rid of the All-Star break to squeeze in more games.

Old
08-17-2012, 01:40 PM
Iron Balls McGinty

Quote:
Honestly, this isn't about being union or anti union.

Last time I supported the Owners because it was obvious that a salary cap was needed with where salaries were going.

So we got the salary cap and then next several years were spent by owners and GM's trying to find ways to "legally" circumvent the salary cap. Personally I think every contract over 10 years is a circumvention with they way everyone structured them but for some reason the Devils got made an example of.

Simply because of that, I'm on the player's side this time. The owners made their bed, now they have to lie in it. It is plain as day revenue sharing needs to occur for the league to continue to prosper. Any agreement short of that virtually insures another situation like this in a few years. A Hard Cap and revenue sharing needs to be done in order to level the playing field and to police the owners from simply trying to break their own rules they've set forth.

If the owners of the big market teams don't get on board, then there is no hope for a season to occur.

An interesting thought on Gary Bettman, considering that part of his job is supposedly to stop labor unrest. A lockout this time would be the 3rd lockout under his watch. The players have only been on strike 1 time and that lasted just over a week prior to Bettman becoming commissioner.

Ever since Bettman has been in charge, there has always been a lockout involved with CBA negotiations. I expect this summer to be no different.

Old
08-18-2012, 07:59 AM
EspenK

Hey pete you're falling down on the job

Here's a link to a good analysis of the owners proposed CBA

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/20...-small-markets

Old
08-18-2012, 08:36 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Hey pete you're falling down on the job

Here's a link to a good analysis of the owners proposed CBA

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/20...-small-markets
As soon as it starts looking like a job, EK, I'll quit!

Actually, I'm traveling, so thanks for sharing the link.

Old
08-18-2012, 10:33 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
I also heard they would get rid of the All-Star break to squeeze in more games.
This.

From what I have read in the past if only a small amount of games are lost early in the season, then the ASG is cancelled so that that time can be used to play the lost games and still have a full season.

If the lock-out reaches further into the season, then an abbreviated schedule is created which also excludes the ASG.

Then, of course, if the lock-out extends far into the season, the entire season is cancelled.

Closed Thread