HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Lockout Thread Part I

Closed Thread

Old
08-25-2012, 06:09 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
What would they have to gain in December that they wouldn't gain now? I'm not sure I understand why it would be any different then than now, particularly in that they'd give in more then versus now. If anything, I would think they'd have a little more leverage by then.
My "insider" friend told me that they have an equity that pays them until then, so until that point, they have no reason to concede loss. Again, not sure the validity.

Old
08-25-2012, 07:10 PM
CBJfan4evr

Why don't they just bite the bullet and split the league into 3 or 4 divisions based on revenue. That would give every team the opportunity to participate in the playoffs and gain some additional revenue. When you think about it we have that situation today. IMHO this is more about the rich owners not willing to share. This would solve that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
Apparently it's open season on Columbus, Florida and Phoenix. Ray Romano, I mean Michael Grange, blames the potential lockout on us!

http://www.sportsnet.ca/magazine/201...ve_easy_steps/

If you've ever heard Grange's voice, I think it's a dead ringer for Ray Romano.

Old
08-26-2012, 10:07 AM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 1164
According to AP and others the NHLPA proposal...
  • Includes a 240 million revenue sharing plan (vs 190 million in NHL plan).
  • Allows clubs to trade salary cap space (can go 4 mill under or over).
  • Allows the NHL the "option of allocating draft picks to struggling teams as a means to energize their fan bases and restock rosters."
  • The NHLPA CBA 3 would be for three years, with an option for a fourth or revert to current CBA.
  • Player salaries would be artificially slowed which at current growth rate for HRR, would mean a $465 million cut by players.
  • No changes to entry level or UFA contracts process.
  • A limit on non-player spending.

Last edited by IBleedUnionBlue: 08-26-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old
08-26-2012, 10:16 AM
IBleedUnionBlue

Here's what the NHL owners CBA proposed:
•The players' share of revenue would be reduced from 57 percent to 46 percent (the NHLPA says the league actually wants it reduced to 43 percent).
•5 year limit on contracts.
•Players would need to play 10 seasons in the NHL in order to become UFA.
•There would be no more salary arbitration.
•Entry-level contracts would be five years long rather than three.
•Expansion of the current revenue sharing plan.

Old
08-26-2012, 10:24 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Young Guns

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
The NHLPA proposal is actually better for Columbus...

I hate the idea of giving draft picks to struggling teams. No idea how that can possibly be executed fairly, and unless they plan on allocating fairly high picks, it probably won't help that much.

08-26-2012, 10:52 AM
IBleedUnionBlue

Per Darren Dreger "NHL likely to present another proposal" on Tuesday.

Old
08-26-2012, 11:53 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post

I hate the idea of giving draft picks to struggling teams. No idea how that can possibly be executed fairly, and unless they plan on allocating fairly high picks, it probably won't help that much.
I agree unless they give us the first two next year

Seriously though how would they be allocated? If this were to be the case I would favor something like either
a) allocating after all the lottery teams picked once (i.e 15th-??) or
b) extending the first round by the appropriate number of picks

The question would be who gets them? Should Edmonton who just had 3 first overalls get one even if they finish in the bottom 3 again? Montreal who had one bad season after almost winning the East? NJ who is reportedly struggling financially but just finished as the Cup runner-up but then lost Parise?

Maybe if you finish in the bottom five 3 consecutive years you get one - but then again you just had 3 top 5 picks a la Edmonton and could be on the verge of breaking out anyway.

Where is Solomon when you need him?

Old
08-26-2012, 12:27 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

I would propose getting rid of revenue sharing altogether and doing this instead. All TV, radio, online live game coverage contracts - both local market and national - are negotiated by the league and all revenues are shared equally among all teams. The result is the same. The largest markets are sharing with the smallest markets.

Old
08-26-2012, 01:09 PM
EDM

When they finally work this out, I will return to being interested in hockey again. Fro now, this whole process is nauseating, although I know it is necessary.

Old
08-26-2012, 01:12 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

I would also add a clause that states if a player requests a trade, their NTC is automatically waived and they can be traded to any team in the league.

Disciplinary penalties should be decided by a three-person committee: a representative from the league, from the NHLPA, and the referees union.

When trading players with big contracts, teams should be allowed to eat a portion of that salary. This will help the trade market open up a bit more.

Old
08-26-2012, 01:16 PM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
I would also add a clause that states if a player requests a trade, their NTC is automatically waived and they can be traded to any team in the league.

Disciplinary penalties should be decided by a three-person committee: a representative from the league, from the NHLPA, and the referees union.

When trading players with big contracts, teams should be allowed to eat a portion of that salary. This will help the trade market open up a bit more.
Then what's the point of having NTC/NMC?

Old
08-26-2012, 01:30 PM
cbj21

I find them all pretty disgustingly greedy and if there is a lockout again thats the end for me following NHL.

Old
08-26-2012, 01:35 PM
postalpez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post

Add a early round for the teams that missed the playoffs every year?

Old
08-26-2012, 02:57 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Simply to avoid Nash-like scenarios. if the player can request a trade, then the team should have the right to trade him wherever the best deal can be had.

In its simplest form, a NT/NMC says the relationship will last for the term of the contract. To give one side an out and still be able to dictate where he'll go is a bit one sided.

Old
08-26-2012, 03:15 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
... So they do NOT get traded without their consent if they wish to stay with the team.

A NTC/NMC protects a player from being traded or waived without his consent. In this scenario, it would still do this until a player demands a trade. NTC/NMC was not created so players could demand a trade and then supply a list of teams. That is a loophole and exploitation of their agreement.

Old
08-26-2012, 05:15 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

How about if a player with a NTC doesn't demand a trade, but says "if a trade that will help our team can be worked out with one of these six teams, I will accept it"?

Old
08-26-2012, 05:18 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
How about if a player with a NTC doesn't demand a trade, but says "if a trade that will help our team can be worked out with one of these six teams, I will accept it"?
Only if the GM is smart enough to keep quiet about it

Old
08-26-2012, 07:32 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
For the reason it was originally created. To keep the team (on their own) from trading the player to an undesirable location without the player's input.

Old
08-26-2012, 07:44 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Only if the GM is smart enough to keep quiet about it
That does seem to be the weak spot in the plan.

Old
08-26-2012, 09:19 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
I would propose getting rid of revenue sharing altogether and doing this instead. All TV, radio, online live game coverage contracts - both local market and national - are negotiated by the league and all revenues are shared equally among all teams. The result is the same. The largest markets are sharing with the smallest markets.
Combine this with a league-wide money pot for travel expenses. East coast teams save a bundle relative to western conference teams for travel/hotel expenses.

Old
08-26-2012, 09:37 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjgirl View Post
Combine this with a league-wide money pot for travel expenses. East coast teams save a bundle relative to western conference teams for travel/hotel expenses.
I like the direction you're thinking there.

Old
08-26-2012, 10:29 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjgirl View Post
Travel expenses, I see. But do they really save on hotels? I would imagine the costs of food / hotels etc are similar.

Old
08-26-2012, 10:39 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue View Post
Travel expenses, I see. But do they really save on hotels? I would imagine the costs of food / hotels etc are similar.
If you're the Rangers, you don't need hotel when playing the Devils or the Isles. Ottawa can hop on the bus after playing Montreal. Philly when playing New Jersey, Washington or NY and so on.

I could see set $ per mile. Since the big money is in the Northeast (region, not division) anyway, if they don't want to start traveling, they should start paying the teams that do.

Also, if they're going to continue this nonsense of having teams like Winnipeg, Detroit and Columbus in the wrong conference, at least compensate them for the additional travel required.

Candidly, I like cbjgirl's idea better than my own.

Old
08-27-2012, 09:44 AM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue View Post
My assumption was that Western teams spend more time away from home. We'd need to see how many nights each team spent on the road to actually compare the numbers. I do think many Eastern Conference teams travel the day of the game, and return home that night (depending on who they are playing).

Old
08-27-2012, 02:23 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

I really like these last couple ideas

Request a trade, you waive the NTC/ NMC

All teams throw into the travel pot that is distributed on a per mile basis - this is great

tv/ media/ apparel handled by the league and split evenly (this would be huge)

Closed Thread