HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skating Questions

Old
07-15-2012, 03:26 AM
stocky

vCash: 500
Skating Questions

Evening everyone, tonight I was at an open skate and since there weren't a lot of people there I was practicing my skating in the face off circles in the corners. I was doing figure 8s and I found that for some reason, I can crossover much better counter clockwise then clockwise. I was trying to figure out why. I can still do it, but for some reason, I feel like I cant get as deep of a cut doing clockwise on my inside foot (or I need to go deeper to turn as sharply) and the outside of my right boot scrapes the ice. I thought I might just need to tighten the skate, so I tried that, and it helped a little, but Im still not able to cut as quickly.

I also find it is the same when I am skating backwards and doing crossovers. I can go counter but im shaky on clockwise.

Also, I just recently learned how to hockey stop, but only with the right foot as the lead (working on the left), and I havent figured how to bring in my back foot into the stop. Is it supposed to be used as well? Are there any good drills I can practice to get better? I find that Im the kind of person that when I learn something, even if I know its wrong its hard to break, so Im hoping I didnt fall into that here and I just need to add one more element into my skating to complete it.

Do I need a stiffer skate? Are my skates not equally sharpened or even not enough? Im using Bauer Vapor x3.0s. Theyre sharpened to 1/2. I know I may need to go to some classes, to figure out what I need to do to improve, but until then I thought I'd see if any of you had any ideas.

stocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 10:30 AM
AIREAYE

Happens to everyone, it's the same as being right handed, it's your dominant side. Practise however, can rectify these things.

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 12:20 PM
JoeCool16

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocky View Post
Are my skates not equally sharpened or even not enough? Im using Bauer Vapor x3.0s.
It's probably just that you need to work on your weak side a bit, but when I started I also felt like I had a bad sharpen. Didn't though. Like AIREAYE said, you probably are overusing your dominant side, and a lot of times that results in the edges on the blade of that side being dulled down a bit, making for a surprising sensation when you shift to the other edge and often causes you to lose your footing if you're going real fast.

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 12:58 PM
MattB43

I had the same problem, I think it's due to learning to skate at public skates where you're going counter-clockwise the whole time (both rinks around here that have pub skates go counter-clockwise for some reason). I just made it a point to practice going the other direction and it eventually works itself out. I still have the problem of trying to stop with both feet though

MattB43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 01:08 PM
SgtJoseph

I agree about your dominate side overriding you is part of the problem and it just takes practice.....Next time you go to the rink, just skate to your " weak" side for most of your time.....also believe it or not, try closing your dominate eye, you will be surprised how much this can help you.In case you do not know, your dominate eye is typically the eye you leave open when shooting a gun or bow etc.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 01:15 PM
rk5n

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB43 View Post
I had the same problem, I think it's due to learning to skate at public skates where you're going counter-clockwise the whole time (both rinks around here that have pub skates go counter-clockwise for some reason). I just made it a point to practice going the other direction and it eventually works itself out. I still have the problem of trying to stop with both feet though
I have the same problem. Consequently, I also have better balance on my left leg as opposed to my right

rk5n is offline   Reply With Quote