HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Does Steve Mason have any value?

Old
07-15-2012, 02:32 PM
Devilspuppet666

vCash: 500
wow... hes 24 years old... and some people think he has negative value

Devilspuppet666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:38 PM
Foppa

I will say that the Blue Jacket's defense looks pretty solid right now. JJ/Wiz/Tyutin/Nikitin is a pretty good top 4. JJ and Wiz have their limitations but are both talented, Tyutin is very underrated and Nikitin was quite a find. Aucoin is a nice veteran addition who can still play. Add in a trio of talented youngsters who should be about ready in Moore, Savard and Murray and this is a quality group in my opinion.

Foppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:40 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyKace View Post
He should get the starter spot for the beginning of the season. But like you said, it's a far worse team then he is use too, and I won't be surprised if it's another Steve Mason story all over again. CBJ might be the new place where young goalies go to die.
I'm not so sure, Columbus's blue-line looks much different going into next season. I mean, our defenseman with the most games played last year was John Moore, a 21 year old who started the year in the AHL, with 67 games played.

candyman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:40 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

At most we'll give you Miettinen for him, might throw in Montoya

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:41 PM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

lol 6th and 7th round picks for a former calder trophy winner whos still young. I think we'll just hang onto him.

CBJWennberg41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:43 PM
TyKace

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman82 View Post
I'm not so sure, Columbus's blue-line looks much different going into next season. I mean, our defenseman with the most games played last year was John Moore, a 21 year old who started the year in the AHL, with 67 games played.
They've definitely made improvements ... Unfortunately though you have to compare it to Philly's.

TyKace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:43 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa View Post
I will say that the Blue Jacket's defense looks pretty solid right now. JJ/Wiz/Tyutin/Nikitin is a pretty good top 4. JJ and Wiz have their limitations but are both talented, Tyutin is very underrated and Nikitin was quite a find. Aucoin is a nice veteran addition who can still play. Add in a trio of talented youngsters who should be about ready in Moore, Savard and Murray and this is a quality group in my opinion.
Exactly. Compare the opening day roster last year

D1: Fedor Tyutin - Radek Martinek
D2: Marc Methot - Grant Clitsome
D3: Kris Russell - David Savard

To what it most likely looks like this year

D1: Jack Johnson-James Wisniewski
D2: Fedor Tyutin-Nikita Nikitin
D3: Adrian Aucoin-Ryan Murray/John Moore/David Savard

I'll certainly tell you which one I prefer

Last edited by candyman82: 07-15-2012 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Typo
Old
07-15-2012, 02:46 PM
TyKace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jee View Post
Remember when he was better than Carey Price ?
That's when the bs was going on with Price and the fans of Montreal. Realistically, you have to take any capability of a Montreal net minder and double them. It's gotta be the hardest place for a goalie to play.

Old
07-15-2012, 02:49 PM
candyman82

Quote:
That's when the bs was going on with Price and the fans of Montreal. Realistically, you have to take any capability of a Montreal net minder and double them. It's gotta be the hardest place for a goalie to play.
Hey now, you'll make him cry

Old
07-15-2012, 02:53 PM
TyKace

Quote:

D1: Jack Johnson-James Wisniewskit
D2: Fedor Tyutin-Nikita Nikitin
D3: Adrian Aucoin-Ryan Murray/John Moore/David Savard

I'll certainly tell you which one I prefer
You're comparing CBJ line changes though. Compare them to Philly's.

Kimmo Timonen - Matt Carle
Brayden Coburn - ?
Pavel Kubina - Andreas Lilja

??? Pronger when healthy.

Old
07-15-2012, 02:54 PM
TyKace

Quote:
Hey now, you'll make him cry

I bet he prays every night, "Thank God I let down Vancouver, and not The Habs".

Old
07-15-2012, 02:58 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

As a Phoenix Coyotes fan, I'd be thrilled to add him to our club. I think Mason has a lot in common with Mike Smith and I think he could enjoy some of the same success Smith enjoyed while experiencing the tutalage of Mike himself, goaltending guru Sean Burke (who himself is similar in many ways to both Mason and Smith), as well the opportunity to play behind a Dave Tippett system and with an excellent group of defensemen in front of him. Given Mason's young age, inherent talent, and proven ability I believe Phoenix is the absolute perfect place for him to resuscite his once promising career.

I love the options such a turn around would provide Phoenix with. Not only would we gain leverage in contract negotiations with Mike Smith who is entering the final season of his two year contract, but also a young goalie like Mason, if he does rebound, would hold a whole lot of trade value next summer.

That said, at this moment, Steve Mason has negative trade value. As long as the Coyotes are still trying to hit the cap floor I'd happily trade our awful back up Jason LaBarbera straight across for Steve Mason. It's necessary Columbus takes him back. Even contract swap and Phoenix can't bury one way contracts in the minors. The Blue Jackets get a tremendous amount of budget relief and are able to turn the page on the Mason era to focus on Bobrovsky as the next ace candidate.

I'd be willing to add a minor asset. Mid to late pick or last chance prospects like Goncharov or Tikhonov. Maybe even David Schlemko if he gets passed on the depth chart. He's actually a really solid player, though.

07-15-2012, 03:02 PM
candyman82

Quote:
You're comparing CBJ line changes though. Compare them to Philly's.

Kimmo Timonen - Matt Carle
Brayden Coburn - ?
Pavel Kubina - Andreas Lilja

??? Pronger when healthy.
That question mark is huge. Will Pronger ever be healthy enough to play again?

Also, how are your defensive prospects? Because I see a lot of old guys in that lineup.

Old
07-15-2012, 03:08 PM
TyKace

Quote:
That question mark is huge. Will Pronger ever be healthy enough to play again?

Also, how are your defensive prospects? Because I see a lot of old guys in that lineup.
Lol. You keep taking this a step too far on me dude. I'm not a Flyers fan, and I hope all of their D men fall on the ice due to old age. All I was saying was that the D Bobs is coming from was a lot of the reason he had a good year. His pads are weak. Very weak.

Old
07-15-2012, 03:09 PM
KingCanadain1976

As a kings fan i would be fine with him coming back in a trade say maybe something along the lines of our 1st mason and say ur 2nd in 13 for bernier and davis drewiski ?

KingCanadain1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:12 PM
TyKace

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCanadain1976 View Post
As a kings fan i would be fine with him coming back in a trade say maybe something along the lines of our 1st mason and say ur 2nd in 13 for bernier and davis drewiski ?
After signing Bobs, I don't think there is a chance they are going to be shopping for Bernier as well. They're probably so overwhelmed by Nash bs, that nothing will be done with any other player until it is settled.

Old
07-15-2012, 03:15 PM
SundherDome
Jhonas is an Ewok

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
As a Phoenix Coyotes fan, I'd be thrilled to add him to our club. I think Mason has a lot in common with Mike Smith and I think he could enjoy some of the same success Smith enjoyed while experiencing the tutalage of Mike himself, goaltending guru Sean Burke (who himself is similar in many ways to both Mason and Smith), as well the opportunity to play behind a Dave Tippett system and with an excellent group of defensemen in front of him. Given Mason's young age, inherent talent, and proven ability I believe Phoenix is the absolute perfect place for him to resuscite his once promising career.

I love the options such a turn around would provide Phoenix with. Not only would we gain leverage in contract negotiations with Mike Smith who is entering the final season of his two year contract, but also a young goalie like Mason, if he does rebound, would hold a whole lot of trade value next summer.

That said, at this moment, Steve Mason has negative trade value. As long as the Coyotes are still trying to hit the cap floor I'd happily trade our awful back up Jason LaBarbera straight across for Steve Mason. It's necessary Columbus takes him back. Even contract swap and Phoenix can't bury one way contracts in the minors. The Blue Jackets get a tremendous amount of budget relief and are able to turn the page on the Mason era to focus on Bobrovsky as the next ace candidate.

I'd be willing to add a minor asset. Mid to late pick or last chance prospects like Goncharov or Tikhonov. Maybe even David Schlemko if he gets passed on the depth chart. He's actually a really solid player, though.
Glad to see two brilliant minds come together on this thread... smiley face

SundherDome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:17 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanekTheMvp View Post
Glad to see two brilliant minds come together on thread
Haha. I didnt even see your post. Well done. I've been advocating Mason to Phoenix since early June. I made the LaBarbera for Mason swap in the GM Game back in early June in fact. Haha.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:17 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

As a Canucks fans, I'd happily trade a 3rd round pick if you'd send him to the Black Hawks.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:20 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Lol. You keep taking this a step too far on me dude. I'm not a Flyers fan, and I hope all of their D men fall on the ice due to old age. All I was saying was that the D Bobs is coming from was a lot of the reason he had a good year. His pads are weak. Very weak.
Sorry about that, I got off-topic there. Thanks for the input on Bobrovsky.

Old
07-15-2012, 03:22 PM
SundherDome
Jhonas is an Ewok

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Haha. I didnt even see your post. Well done. I've been advocating Mason to Phoenix since early June. I made the LaBarbera for Mason swap in the GM Game back in early June in fact. Haha.
It just makes perfect sense ...now just get maloney to agree with us and you may have yourself a lesser luongo / schneider problem at best

SundherDome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:22 PM
Fleury14
Kipper

I'd imagine he could be moved in a deal for a $2.5-3.5m depth player that another team is looking to unload.

It might not seem like a great option to Columbus fans, but their best bet is just to continue to hold on to him and hope for the best. Which it appears Howson is doing... Oh, and don't even think about the playoffs for next season.

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:23 PM
candyman82

Quote:
I've said this before, I wouldn't give up a first round pick for a goaltender that doesn't have significant experience as an NHL starter. Just my preference, there are probably quite a few people who would do that trade.

Old
07-15-2012, 03:23 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
After signing Bobs, I don't think there is a chance they are going to be shopping for Bernier as well. They're probably so overwhelmed by Nash bs, that nothing will be done with any other player until it is settled.
Portzline Columbus Beat Writer reported the other day on twitter the blue jackets were still interested in Bernier. From what i read he pretty much is bang on stuff for the jackets,

KingCanadain1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:24 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Portzline Columbus Beat Writer reported the other day on twitter the blue jackets were still interested in Bernier. From what i read he pretty much is bang on stuff for the jackets,
However, Howson came out and said that they weren't interested in Bernier later that day