HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Does Steve Mason have any value?

Old
07-16-2012, 06:31 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
ok bad idea then, sorry.

Edit: On why LA does it, I thought Budaj might be more interesting to them than Mason.
LA would never dream of trading Bernier for Mason straight up! Budaj for Bernier is even worse!

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 06:37 PM
bottomofthefoodchain

Not even Hasek would have good numbers on last years Columbus team.
Some people are being way too hard on this kid.

bottomofthefoodchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 06:38 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
LA would never dream of trading Bernier for Mason straight up! Budaj for Bernier is even worse!
That's why I wrote Budaj +

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 06:41 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomofthefoodchain View Post
Not even Hasek would have good numbers on last years Columbus team.
Some people are being way too hard on this kid.
...and yet Curtis Sanford, career AHL goalie, had decent numbers on last year's Columbus team while fighting a back injury.

The idea of Hasek is intriguing...he still wants to play!

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 06:43 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCanadain1976 View Post
I have a question for the bj fans How would u say mason gives up most of his goals ? from the outside glove blocker crease etc? I think if he goes to a stronger defensive team he could rebound into a decent backup goalie?
Remember Ron Hextall when he would allow bad goals (once a game)? There was no pattern to where they'd come from...unscreened from the blue line and a foot off the ice next to his skate, unscreened from 30' out right next to the goal line over his shoulder, thrown out toward the front and off his own skate and in, you name it.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 07:38 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Remember Ron Hextall when he would allow bad goals (once a game)? There was no pattern to where they'd come from...unscreened from the blue line and a foot off the ice next to his skate, unscreened from 30' out right next to the goal line over his shoulder, thrown out toward the front and off his own skate and in, you name it.
Fair enuff i was hoping it was more goals from the middle of the ice where the kings don't give up that many shots. I still think a better defensive team would help him restore his confidense.

KingCanadain1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:30 PM
KingCanadain1976

wondering if brad richadson for mason would be something blue jacket fans would be interested in ? Providing la trade bernier

Old
07-16-2012, 10:38 PM
KingCanadain1976

Well columbus fans i just sent a tweet to Aaron Portzline‏@Aportzline

and this is what he said

RT @echlined: are the blue jackets still interested in bernier from la? / Absolutely. Doesn't mean they'll get him, but they're interested.

Old
07-17-2012, 12:25 AM
tututooter21

I should've known when he choked in NHL10 all day

tututooter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 01:02 AM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
wondering if brad richadson for mason would be something blue jacket fans would be interested in ? Providing la trade bernier
Why would LA have any interest in Mason at all? They'd be paying 3.2 million for an average goalie who'll play 15-20 games tops. People should think before they post.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 01:13 AM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
Why would LA have any interest in Mason at all? They'd be paying 3.2 million for an average goalie who'll play 15-20 games tops. People should think before they post.
They have over 7 million in cap space so price not a worry. Mason would be a capable backup/starter should quick go down to injury. He would be on more of a defensive team. So better results. The kings would do this only if bernier gets traded. People of neither teams fans should learn to think before critizing others propsals epecially if hes a fan of neither

Old
07-17-2012, 01:15 AM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
mason is only 2.9 million

Old
07-17-2012, 01:26 AM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
mason is only 2.9 million
His cap hit is 2.9 million. His real dollars is 3.2 million. Just because LA has extra cap space doesn't mean they are going to spend it on garbage. Mason is worth no more than 1 million dollars tops. And I mean tops. He's getting paid 3x that. That's way to much, especially for a damaged back up goalie. Not to mention he'd be making exactly twice as much as Quick will be next year.

Old
07-17-2012, 01:31 AM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
His cap hit is 2.9 million. His real dollars is 3.2 million. Just because LA has extra cap space doesn't mean they are going to spend it on garbage. Mason is worth no more than 1 million dollars tops. And I mean tops. He's getting paid 3x that. That's way to much, especially for a damaged back up goalie. Not to mention he'd be making exactly twice as much as Quick will be next year.
Hes only signed to a one year contract. The cap space isnt that big of a deal Dean is one of the best managment of the cap there is. As far as him making more then j quick so what You honestly think he cares he ll be paid his money for 10 yrs after next. I think he would be a reasonable backup if we can get him cheap enuff. He will be playing on a defensive team that will limit his shots and keep him in the few games he will play. Also him in a contract year i expect him to be alot better

Old
07-17-2012, 01:33 AM
FANonymous

does negative value still count as value?

FANonymous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 01:35 AM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Hes only signed to a one year contract. The cap space isnt that big of a deal Dean is one of the best managment of the cap there is. As far as him making more then j quick so what You honestly think he cares he ll be paid his money for 10 yrs after next. I think he would be a reasonable backup if we can get him cheap enuff. He will be playing on a defensive team that will limit his shots and keep him in the few games he will play. Also him in a contract year i expect him to be alot better
Lol I'm not worried about Quick's feelings getting hurt. It just makes no sense whatsoever. There's way better goalies than Mason out there for a lot cheaper.

Old
07-17-2012, 01:41 AM
LBC Vapo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
...and yet Curtis Sanford, career AHL goalie, had decent numbers on last year's Columbus team while fighting a back injury.

The idea of Hasek is intriguing...he still wants to play!
Yes, decent numbers after conveniently playing in games after your team had already destroyed their season and your coach changed up his "how we win games" manual to one that protected goalies better after almost two full months of Mason being thrown to the wolves while your team played like utter Neanderthals.

His decent numbers are a nice product of 1) not playing for October and most of November, 2) playing a handful of games after Richards took over and the team was just coasting.

CBJ have a nice habit of ending their seasons on a decent note, it happens every time they tank and quit caring. Sanford played in the easy games, after your season was already gone.

LBC Vapo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 01:44 AM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Lol I'm not worried about Quick's feelings getting hurt. It just makes no sense whatsoever. There's way better goalies than Mason out there for a lot cheaper.
well id be happy seeing him back up quick for the 20 or so games If i can get him cheap and if they are interested in richardson the price is right. I don`t see many backup goalies id be ok with out there for that cheap. I see mason putting up better then bernier numbers last year and thats all i want from a backup. If mason goes down with a injury i would be ok for a few weeks starting mason till he gets better. He would be a better back up then anyone the kings currently have.

Old
07-17-2012, 08:26 AM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

I'm assuming those of you that are defending Mason either didn't watch most of the CBJ games last year, or you're one of his relatives.

Body language says a lot about a goalie. Mason lets in a softy early in the game... the shoulders slump, the head hangs down, the focus is GONE for the rest of the game. His ability, behind the CBJ defense last season (yes I know they were bad too) to recover from bad bounces, or bad plays was non-existent.

Then the defense would change their game to account for Mason. Yes, that would result in running around like chickens with their heads cut off, but it was apparent from a fan perspective that any trust between the defense and Mason was gone. Neither trusted the other to get the job done.

That factor, coupled with Mason's post game interviews where, I'm pretty sure, the phrase "I didn't play well tonight" never came out of his mouth is why CBJ fans have no problem getting rid of Mason. Mason never took responsibility for poor play when it was evident that at least some of that responsibility was his.

The worst thing that happened to Steve Mason was the significant early success. That meant that he was "doing the right things" and didn't need to improve his game when the reality of the situation was the defense in front of him played very well in a very defensive system and was really protecting him.

If Mason puts the work in, and the mental/trust issues with his teammates is resolved, there is no reason to believe that he couldn't be the good goalie we saw for a few months in the playoff year. The question is "Will he?". I have my doubts.

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 08:45 AM
LBC Vapo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjgirl View Post
I'm assuming those of you that are defending Mason either didn't watch most of the CBJ games last year, or you're one of his relatives.

Body language says a lot about a goalie. Mason lets in a softy early in the game... the shoulders slump, the head hangs down, the focus is GONE for the rest of the game. His ability, behind the CBJ defense last season (yes I know they were bad too) to recover from bad bounces, or bad plays was non-existent.

Then the defense would change their game to account for Mason. Yes, that would result in running around like chickens with their heads cut off, but it was apparent from a fan perspective that any trust between the defense and Mason was gone. Neither trusted the other to get the job done.

That factor, coupled with Mason's post game interviews where, I'm pretty sure, the phrase "I didn't play well tonight" never came out of his mouth is why CBJ fans have no problem getting rid of Mason. Mason never took responsibility for poor play when it was evident that at least some of that responsibility was his.

The worst thing that happened to Steve Mason was the significant early success. That meant that he was "doing the right things" and didn't need to improve his game when the reality of the situation was the defense in front of him played very well in a very defensive system and was really protecting him.

If Mason puts the work in, and the mental/trust issues with his teammates is resolved, there is no reason to believe that he couldn't be the good goalie we saw for a few months in the playoff year. The question is "Will he?". I have my doubts.
I watched every single CBJ game over the last few years and yes, at times he has shown what one would call "poor body language."

Frankly, I find that to be a perfectly human response. I'd be pretty frustrated too if I had an overpaid crew of underperformers playing in front of me, who neither scored goals nor played any semblance of defense.

Once again, in three seasons he has had over 30 different defensemen play in front of him. Seriously. Seriously.

Your troubles have NOTHING to do with Steve Mason. Your issue is the absolute circus being accepted by management and put on ice every game.

Eventually your children will get their toys taken away and hopefully at that point you'll start to build something resembling a professional sports team.

Old
07-17-2012, 09:25 AM
Xoggz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedorov View Post
It would be a horrible time to trade Mason. There is no need to move his contract and his value can't possibly be lower. Let him reform in the AHL or ECHL and earn his way back to the bigs then let him backup whom ever is in net at the time. Don't trade him for peanuts just to unload him. Need to set this guy up with a bang on goalie coach and a psychiatrist.
Not directed at you in particular but I thought this post would provide a good summary response.

1) For those tying Mason to Hitch, it was brought up that Hitch wanted Mason to be sent down to the AHL on a "conditioning" assignment after he won Rookie of the Year. It was said that Mason's attitude and fitness level was so bad they wanted to get his head on straight. Never happened and Mason has been a problem every since. No head, no heart and blames everyone for HIS soft goals.

2) Mason is in the last year of his 2nd contract and will be a RFA at the end of the season. Whatever team has his services at the time will have a very, very difficult decision to make. Who wants to qualify this guy at his current salary? After 3 poor years how can you justify paying him. It's a dead end contract.

3) If Mason were to be sent down to the AHL "to get his game back", I believe he would be subject to re-entry waivers. Getting a "reformed" Mason at 1/2 his salary is a no brainer.... although point #2 above still remains a concern to the acquiring team. I also don't think Columbus is a market that can necessarily afford to "bury" a $3.2MM salary in the minors. Already bleeding....

Mason had some flashes of his old form as a backup last year but he still points the finger at everyone around him. He's had two very solid goalie coaches and played for Hitchcock. His work ethic sucks (last on ice, first off) yet his skillset shows he can be a dominant goalie. He is an enigma. One I'd rather have gone from the CBJ so we aren't faced with these questions.

No doubt Mason has the skill to be a NHL starter but until he gets his head straight and decides to work for his meals he's going to be a past tense goaltender. I would gladly take a pick or a prospect. I just don't see a good situation in Columbus. Need him out of the lockerroom and get him a fresh start.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 09:38 AM
Xoggz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generally View Post
I watched every single CBJ game over the last few years and yes, at times he has shown what one would call "poor body language."

Frankly, I find that to be a perfectly human response. I'd be pretty frustrated too if I had an overpaid crew of underperformers playing in front of me, who neither scored goals nor played any semblance of defense.

Once again, in three seasons he has had over 30 different defensemen play in front of him. Seriously. Seriously.

Your troubles have NOTHING to do with Steve Mason. Your issue is the absolute circus being accepted by management and put on ice every game.

Eventually your children will get their toys taken away and hopefully at that point you'll start to build something resembling a professional sports team.
Is this Steve Mason? Just wondering because your responses are exactly how he acts with his teammates. Blame everyone around you but yourself. it's easier to accept. Sorry, but Management has nothing to do with Mason's performance on the ice. Good players make others around them better. Mason ignores accountability and has a $0.05 head. He gets his head in the right place and he'll end up being a quality goaltender

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 02:19 PM
LBC Vapo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
Is this Steve Mason? Just wondering because your responses are exactly how he acts with his teammates. Blame everyone around you but yourself. it's easier to accept. Sorry, but Management has nothing to do with Mason's performance on the ice. Good players make others around them better. Mason ignores accountability and has a $0.05 head. He gets his head in the right place and he'll end up being a quality goaltender
I didn't say Mason was blameless. The blind hatred of him is laughable though. No goaltender would look decent with such a revolting gong show in front of him.

And yes, management does have something to do with his on ice performance, they rushed him at the start of his career and now for three seasons have failed to secure a quality backup for him, which leads to the same thing that happened in October and November happening every year.

If you don't think your management has failed him when it comes to securing a solid backup then I don't even know what to say. Learn more about hockey, I guess. Having perpetually injured backups on the worst team in the league won't help any starting goaltender. Really isn't hard to grasp.

Edit: management is also responsible for installing the coach and players who gave up endless odd man rushes every single game.

Go back and watch the Philly / CBJ game from last season. That wasn't an odd occurrence, that's just what happens when you play Columbus. Absolute joke on every conceivable level, and it has nothing to do with Steve Mason.

Last edited by LBC Vapo*: 07-17-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old
07-17-2012, 02:44 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generally View Post
I didn't say Mason was blameless. The blind hatred of him is laughable though. No goaltender would look decent with such a revolting gong show in front of him.

snip
Look at the following two links:
http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/play...2&view=gamelog

You know what sticks out to me? The fact that Mason is either pretty good or just downright horrible - there is very little middle ground. Look at the save % column for both players. You can't possibly claim that the defense was playing that dramatically differently every night that one night Mason has a 0.94+ SV% and then other nights he is at >0.8% and getting pulled. A good night he lets in 1, a bad night it was more like 5 or 6 or 7 in the Philly game.

Consistency, consistency, consistency... at this point he doesn't have it. Will he work on it?

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 02:57 PM
LBC Vapo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjgirl View Post
Look at the following two links:

You know what sticks out to me? The fact that Mason is either pretty good or just downright horrible - there is very little middle ground. Look at the save % column for both players. You can't possibly claim that the defense was playing that dramatically differently every night that one night Mason has a 0.94+ SV% and then other nights he is at >0.8% and getting pulled. A good night he lets in 1, a bad night it was more like 5 or 6 or 7 in the Philly game.

Consistency, consistency, consistency... at this point he doesn't have it. Will he work on it?
Are you kidding me? I absolutely can claim defense was playing dramatically different every night. Want to know why? Because you guys have iced THIRTY different defensemen over the last three seasons. THIRTY.

It's really easy to blame Mason and think your troubles begin and end with him, it's also hysterically naive. Why don't you blame your coach who was finally fired after consistently batting .400

Why don't you blame your captain and supposed elite goal scorer for being -20 and doing nothing to help out his team

Why don't you blame 10 million dollar James Wisniewski for for constantly trying to pinch, being caught out of position, and giving up odd man rushes EVERY GAME

Why don't you blame your president and GM for failing EVERY SEASON to get a quality, stable backup for a young goaltender, and before you even say Garon, he was injured constantly too, just not always reported, which is why AGAIN Mason was thrown out every single night to get absolutely lit up.

Just look at your season. It was a remarkable failure that had NOTHING to do with Steve Mason. Literally absolutely nothing.

Your team isn't even striving to win a Stanley Cup, you're striving for mediocrity, and you aren't even managing that. It has had nothing to do with Steve Mason, And now, in a few months, your poorly put together, poorly coached gaggle of rejects and misfit toys will continue to astound and bewilder the world of professional sports due to their complete ineptitude, and you will blame Sergei Bobrovsky.