HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Bills IV - Preseason Perspective: 2008 Lions went 4-0

Closed Thread

Old
08-02-2012, 10:46 AM
dma0034

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
Sorry to say, your going to be in some real trouble with that team. RB is the meat and potatoes of a fantasy team. You have none. Sure Fred MIGHT get the numbers he had last year but I doubt it. Reggie Bush is just not a good fantasy back, and michael bush isn't either. Unfortunatly, if your RBs aren't good you need Elite WRs, which you also don't have.....there is a reason why all the good RBs were gone so quick.....Your team probably won't make the playoffs...Not trying to sound like a jerk at all about it....just the simple truth. Not a great team at all. Another hint for thr future: Take one less QB, and one less TE, then 2 more RBs. Depth is always important to RBs. Think of it this way. What's more likely? That both DB and EM are hurt or that FJ and RB are hurt? As for TE, you don't really need a backup until you actually need one, which you can grab off of waivers. After the top 6ish, they're all pretty much the same. And also: Friends don't let friends draft D until 3rd to last round at the earliest.
I was actually the last person to draft a D because I figured the Bills wouldn't go high

Mike Williams from Tampa. Got him real late and just figured with VJ on the team he may have a good season

Old
08-02-2012, 11:06 AM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
That was great.

Bang bang!
I cracked up with the "I'll start my diet tomorrow"s.

Old
08-02-2012, 11:43 AM
whiplash

Don't we normally have a spinoff fantasy thread so this one doesn't get bogged down with that talk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
Habs fan here. I know nothing of the NFL, but I have seen the Bills in Buffalo before (lost 51-17 to Pats lol). Tailgates are fun tho. Anyways, two of my friends are hardcore NFL fans. One cheers for the Jets, the other one for the Dolphins, and they decided that I should be a fan of the Bills, because division and because **** Boston.

So I guess I am a Bills fan. Educate me.
Shotgun history: We were good for a while in the 60s, then mostly sucked up until the late 80s when we became awesome but still lost 4 Superbowls in a row. Then we were mediocre in the mid 90s, lost on a last minute, special teams play in the wildcard (maybe divisional?) round to Tennessee in '99-00 and we haven't made the playoffs since. Almost 13 years now.

But don't listen to the Debbie Downers on this board. You came at the right time, my friend: things are finally looking up and an 11-5 season, and a triumphant return to the playoffs, looms on the horizon. **** Boston is a good sentiment to start with and you'll soon find yourself hating the Jets almost as much (or maybe living down near them has simply intensified my dislike).

I don't know what the NFL scene is like up in Montreal but hopefully you can find a bar that shows all the games (do they have Sunday Ticket up in Canada?) otherwise there are, ahem, other ways to follow via internet

Only one week til the first preseason game!

Old
08-02-2012, 11:48 AM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
Don't we normally have a spinoff fantasy thread so this one doesn't get bogged down with that talk?

Shotgun history: We were good for a while in the 60s, then mostly sucked up until the late 80s when we became awesome but still lost 4 Superbowls in a row. Then we were mediocre in the mid 90s, lost on a last minute, special teams play in the wildcard (maybe divisional?) round to Tennessee in '99-00 and we haven't made the playoffs since. Almost 13 years now.

But don't listen to the Debbie Downers on this board. You came at the right time, my friend: things are finally looking up and an 11-5 season, and a triumphant return to the playoffs, looms on the horizon. **** Boston is a good sentiment to start with and you'll soon find yourself hating the Jets almost as much (or maybe living down near them has simply intensified my dislike).

I don't know what the NFL scene is like up in Montreal but hopefully you can find a bar that shows all the games (do they have Sunday Ticket up in Canada?) otherwise there are, ahem, other ways to follow via internet

Shotgun history: Whip says this every season.

Old
08-02-2012, 01:00 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:

Historically though our biggest rival has always been the Dolphins. From the 0-for-the-70s when they beat us 20 straight times...to the Kelly-Marino duels (and "Rich Stadium South" for the whippings we'd give them in Miami)...but since neither team has been good lately (well, certainly Buffalo) it's lost a bit of its luster lately. But there's a reason the guys like Kelly and Thurman Thomas always show up at the Miami games.

Old
08-02-2012, 01:28 PM
dma0034

Being a younger Bills fan I don't really hate the Dolphins.... in fact I dislike the Patriots and Jets more.

Old
08-02-2012, 01:51 PM
whiplash

Squish the Fish!

(Or as my mom used to say, "Trammel the Mammal")

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Historically though our biggest rival has always been the Dolphins. From the 0-for-the-70s when they beat us 20 straight times...to the Kelly-Marino duels (and "Rich Stadium South" for the whippings we'd give them in Miami)...but since neither team has been good lately (well, certainly Buffalo) it's lost a bit of its luster lately. But there's a reason the guys like Kelly and Thurman Thomas always show up at the Miami games.
Definitely true. When I was younger I haaaaaaaaaaaaated the Dolphins. Still do to a pretty large extent but due to proximity with the Jets and the continued thrashings by the Pats, they've both surpassed the 'phins on my hate-o'-meter.

Old
08-02-2012, 01:56 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0034 View Post
Being a younger Bills fan I don't really hate the Dolphins.... in fact I dislike the Patriots and Jets more.
It's hard to have a rivalry when both teams are irrelevant. It's why the Bills aren't really considered a current rival to anyone. We hate certain teams like the Pats, but NE fans really don't care about Buffalo.

Old
08-02-2012, 03:32 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
I hate every team in the league except for Pittsburgh and of course DA BILLS....

Old
08-02-2012, 03:46 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I cracked up with the "I'll start my diet tomorrow"s.
I loved the Bon Jovi drumming.

That guy has a future career on TV somewhere.

Old
08-02-2012, 03:47 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
It's hard to have a rivalry when both teams are irrelevant. It's why the Bills aren't really considered a current rival to anyone. We hate certain teams like the Pats, but NE fans really don't care about Buffalo.
Just a small prediction, but I think Buffalo's defensive line is going to make a change to that.

Getting Brady out of synch is the best way to beat him. I think the front four is going to make life very challenging for #12.

Old
08-02-2012, 07:16 PM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Being a kid of the late 80s and growing up in the 90s I remember the Jets being that team you watched and laughed. Literally was an NFL Follies weekly experience. The Patriots were blah except for like 96. I hated the Jets and Pats more though, because I hate just about everything to do with said cities.

Old
08-02-2012, 09:37 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK Triple Threat View Post
Being a kid of the late 80s and growing up in the 90s I remember the Jets being that team you watched and laughed. Literally was an NFL Follies weekly experience. The Patriots were blah except for like 96. I hated the Jets and Pats more though, because I hate just about everything to do with said cities.
What's your hatred for East Rutherford, NJ? Or are you referring to the world's greatest, iconic city that is the Big Apple?

Yes, personal offense is taken by me unless you have a reason to hate NYC....from a Bills fan born and raised in NYC burbs

Old
08-02-2012, 09:53 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
What's your hatred for East Rutherford, NJ? Or are you referring to the world's greatest, iconic city that is the Big Apple?

Yes, personal offense is taken by me unless you have a reason to hate NYC....from a Bills fan born and raised in NYC burbs
I dislike the east coast urban area of the U.S. from Boston to Fredericksburg, Virginia.

Old
08-02-2012, 10:39 PM
whiplash

Quote:
Shotgun history: Whip says this every season.

Quote:

I ****ing love this city. I wouldn't trade it for Buffalo in a thousand years. But I can't stand Jets fans or the sports coverage down here. Not that WGR or TBN are paragons of sports journalism... but the talking heads here are insufferable on another plane

Old
08-02-2012, 11:54 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
I dislike the east coast urban area of the U.S. from Boston to Fredericksburg, Virginia.
Quote:

I ****ing love this city. I wouldn't trade it for Buffalo in a thousand years. But I can't stand Jets fans or the sports coverage down here. Not that WGR or TBN are paragons of sports journalism... but the talking heads here are insufferable on another plane
First to preface: I was just busting BKtt's chops. I feel the same way about Boston, since I'm a Sabres, Bills, Yankees, and Knicks fan (I LOATHE the Bruins and Pats, the Red Sox make me nauseous, and I hate the Celts)...I've been to the city of Boston, though, and it's fun. But I see what he means, just curious if he has a reason to hate NYC other than disdain for its sports teams.

To whipper, I disagree with the bolded, for a few major reasons:

A) most significantly, I live and breathe WFAN. I'm tuned in, in some form, from Boomer and Carton through Joe and Ev, and Mike, all the way until the Metropolitans pregame. We pioneered sports radio down here.

B ) YES network is impeccable. (and SNY does a great job with the Metropolitans, too, IMO)

C) MSG kills it with Knicks and Rangers coverage. Hockey Night Live is a nightly thing for me most weeknights.

Jets fans suck. They truly do. Regarding print media down here, I don't ever read the Daily, I seldom read the Post, occasionally read the Times, and I get the Journal News delivered to me, but that's mostly for HS Sports/coaching reasons.

Who else is down here from our boards? I know eSabre was, I thought MayDay was, I know you are....there are others, too.

Whip, where were you born/raised?

Last edited by jBuds: 08-03-2012 at 12:06 AM.
Old
08-03-2012, 12:54 AM
whiplash

Quote:
First to preface: I was just busting BKtt's chops. I feel the same way about Boston, since I'm a Sabres, Bills, Yankees, and Knicks fan (I LOATHE the Bruins and Pats, the Red Sox make me nauseous, and I hate the Celts)...I've been to the city of Boston, though, and it's fun. But I see what he means, just curious if he has a reason to hate NYC other than disdain for its sports teams.

To whipper, I disagree with the bolded, for a few major reasons:

A) most significantly, I live and breathe WFAN. I'm tuned in, in some form, from Boomer and Carton through Joe and Ev, and Mike, all the way until the Metropolitans pregame. We pioneered sports radio down here.

B ) YES network is impeccable. (and SNY does a great job with the Metropolitans, too, IMO)

C) MSG kills it with Knicks and Rangers coverage. Hockey Night Live is a nightly thing for me most weeknights.

Jets fans suck. They truly do. Regarding print media down here, I don't ever read the Daily, I seldom read the Post, occasionally read the Times, and I get the Journal News delivered to me, but that's mostly for HS Sports/coaching reasons.

Who else is down here from our boards? I know eSabre was, I thought MayDay was, I know you are....there are others, too.

Whip, where were you born/raised?
I don't listen to the radio so I never hear WFAN. I don't actively read the POST or Daily News but they're around at work and the sports articles are every bit as atrocious as their news coverage. I watch YES and SNY only when the Yanks or Mets are on and I'm not big on the Rangers. I like the MSG historical specials but I've never particularly liked Boomer & Carton or most of the radio-on-tv shows they have. I guess my only exposure is to the rags which is, admittedly, a horrifically unfair representation

Born and raised in North Buffalo, moved to Queens 5 years ago and decided I can never go back to Buffalo. Moved to Manhattan 4 months ago and decided I can't move back to Queens. I love that I can't go outside in my Fitzpatrick shirt without at least 2 people yelling 'GO BILLS.' And the Bills bars down here are all awesome in their own way

Old
08-03-2012, 01:08 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
I don't listen to the radio so I never hear WFAN. I don't actively read the POST or Daily News but they're around at work and the sports articles are every bit as atrocious as their news coverage. I watch YES and SNY only when the Yanks or Mets are on and I'm not big on the Rangers. I like the MSG historical specials but I've never particularly liked Boomer & Carton or most of the radio-on-tv shows they have. I guess my only exposure is to the rags which is, admittedly, a horrifically unfair representation

Born and raised in North Buffalo, moved to Queens 5 years ago and decided I can never go back to Buffalo. Moved to Manhattan 4 months ago and decided I can't move back to Queens. I love that I can't go outside in my Fitzpatrick shirt without at least 2 people yelling 'GO BILLS.' And the Bills bars down here are all awesome in their own way
Mind elaborating on/explaining the bolded?

Awesome story about the move. Are you up, mid, or downtown? I work DT at Ground Zero. Where do you watch besides McFadden's?

Old
08-03-2012, 01:42 AM
whiplash

Quote:
Mind elaborating on/explaining the bolded?

Awesome story about the move. Are you up, mid, or downtown? I work DT at Ground Zero. Where do you watch besides McFadden's?
When I said rags I meant newspapers, not the Rangers. So I meant: I suppose it's unfair to base my opinion of the sports media down here on the Post and DN.

I live in the East Village now. The neighborhood is crazy in a good and bad way but I love it and you can't beat the location. 12 minute train ride to work, 5 min. to Brooklyn and 20 to Queens. When you say Ground Zero do you just mean the area or the actual construction? We have some family friends with a condo in Battery Park City with a complete view of the Freedom Tower and every time we visit, we've seen it (and all the surrounding buildings) rise. Pretty amazing progress when they finally got down to it.

There was an awesome little Irish bar out in Maspeth, a mile from me in Sunnyside, called GlenPatricks I used to watch at all the time when I first moved here. The owner is a great dude and a huge Bills fan; two big TVs with sound, the other games on the small TVs and it was rarely busy on Sunday, outside the 5-20 Bills fans. Turtle Bay (52 and 2) was a Bills bar for a while but then it switched to Pitt, back to Buffalo, then to Philly, and I have no idea what it is now. They had available tables, great cheese fries and the Bills game on about 5 TVs. Kelly's (Ave A and 2nd st) is another good spot, though I haven't been there in years (probably will now that I'm within walking distance). They had Labatt tall boy specials, OK wings and it was nowhere near as mobbed as McFadden's. (edit: scratch the wings, I don't think they had food, I'm thinking of a non-Bills sports bar we sometimes go to, Donovan's)

Sorry to derail the thread a bit. If anyone down in the area is up for a Bills Bar outing, let me know. I worked 13/16 Sundays last year, but the new job got the warning I couldn't work Sundays the first day I started. I'm not missing a single game this season

Last edited by whiplash: 08-03-2012 at 01:48 AM.
Old
08-03-2012, 02:51 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
When I said rags I meant newspapers, not the Rangers. So I meant: I suppose it's unfair to base my opinion of the sports media down here on the Post and DN.

I live in the East Village now. The neighborhood is crazy in a good and bad way but I love it and you can't beat the location. 12 minute train ride to work, 5 min. to Brooklyn and 20 to Queens. When you say Ground Zero do you just mean the area or the actual construction? We have some family friends with a condo in Battery Park City with a complete view of the Freedom Tower and every time we visit, we've seen it (and all the surrounding buildings) rise. Pretty amazing progress when they finally got down to it.

There was an awesome little Irish bar out in Maspeth, a mile from me in Sunnyside, called GlenPatricks I used to watch at all the time when I first moved here. The owner is a great dude and a huge Bills fan; two big TVs with sound, the other games on the small TVs and it was rarely busy on Sunday, outside the 5-20 Bills fans. Turtle Bay (52 and 2) was a Bills bar for a while but then it switched to Pitt, back to Buffalo, then to Philly, and I have no idea what it is now. They had available tables, great cheese fries and the Bills game on about 5 TVs. Kelly's (Ave A and 2nd st) is another good spot, though I haven't been there in years (probably will now that I'm within walking distance). They had Labatt tall boy specials, OK wings and it was nowhere near as mobbed as McFadden's. (edit: scratch the wings, I don't think they had food, I'm thinking of a non-Bills sports bar we sometimes go to, Donovan's)

Sorry to derail the thread a bit. If anyone down in the area is up for a Bills Bar outing, let me know. I worked 13/16 Sundays last year, but the new job got the warning I couldn't work Sundays the first day I started. I'm not missing a single game this season
Awesome stuff. If I have a Sunday with no hockey and availability to head in, I'll pm you.

My building is directly next to the construction site. I overlook the area out of my conference room window, which, before buildings began to take form, was a depressingly massive hole in the planet. If I had taken pictures out of it in a time collapse fashion from when I got there to now, I'd have a nice album.

Old
08-03-2012, 05:23 PM
whiplash

Jim Leonhard took a physical with the Bills today. Wouldn't be bad to shore up safety depth (I didn't realize we were that thin until recently) and he was a good special teamer when he played for us originally. Wouldn't mind having him back at all

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...f71_story.html

Old
08-03-2012, 05:43 PM
AlexanderMogilny89

Quote:
They're going to care this year. When Super Mario and company come through that line of theirs and put Brady on his ass 10 times a game. Buffalo makes the playoffs this year with the much improved De.

Old
08-03-2012, 05:59 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Jim Leonhard took a physical with the Bills today. Wouldn't be bad to shore up safety depth (I didn't realize we were that thin until recently) and he was a good special teamer when he played for us originally. Wouldn't mind having him back at all

Certainly depends on the price.

Old
08-03-2012, 06:44 PM
Digable5

Quote:
Certainly depends on the price.
I don't think he could be asking for much. Its training camp and he still doesn't have a team coming off a major injury. He's visiting us with only a backup position available. If he's healthy we should have some familiar, quality depth on the cheap. If he's not 100%, he's cut with nothing really lost.

Old
08-03-2012, 07:01 PM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:

Had a feeling this could happen. The Bills of late seem to be interested in bringing in guys who had impacts on other divisional opponents teams.

Closed Thread