HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Semin's defensive game

Old
07-17-2012, 07:30 AM
gravyface

vCash: 500
Semin's defensive game

With all the negativity that seems to follow this guy around, I'm wondering about his defensive abilities: I seem to recall him playing on a shutdown/matchup line either in the 2010 Olympics or World Championships last year; believe he was playing with Kulemin?

Am I way off base here? Does this guy have any defensive game?

gravyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 07:36 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

He's good to very good defensively, and can PK (as long as you're not talking shot blocking and such).

His issues are HHS penalties and turnovers from trying to do too much with the puck.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 07:47 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Semin's defensive game is excellent. He sometimes tries too hard and will take what many call a lazy penalty. I contend a lazy player wouldn't have been in position to even take a penalty. He just doesn't know when to back off or feels he can get away with it. And there are times when players get away with obstruction hooks etc but he has a bad rep with the league from his diving days so he gets no breaks.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 07-17-2012 at 07:52 AM.
RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 08:00 AM
gravyface

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Semin's defensive game is excellent. He sometimes tries too hard and will take what many call a lazy penalty. I contend a lazy player wouldn't have been in position to even take a penalty. He just doesn't know when to back off or feels he can get away with it. And there are times when players get away with obstruction hooks etc but he has a bad rep with the league from his diving days so he gets no breaks.
Are you guys generally disappointed he's not resigning? I mean is the on-again-off-again Semin thing to much or would you gladly welcome him back (i.e. the pros outweigh the cons with this guy).

gravyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 08:02 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

It depends on his price tag... I'm disappointed we didn't get anything for him at the deadline and did nothing to replace his production (Wolski is NOT an answer).

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 08:02 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

I'm assuming the ship has sailed, but not having any true idea of what his impact in the room is like (is he really a negative or not etc.) I'd take him back if I didn't have to give him term. The Caps can afford to take the chance again if they so desire. Like I said, though, I imagine the Caps have moved on for better or worse.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 08:10 AM
bgroban

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
I'm assuming the ship has sailed, but not having any true idea of what his impact in the room is like (is he really a negative or not etc.) I'd take him back if I didn't have to give him term. The Caps can afford to take the chance again if they so desire. Like I said, though, I imagine the Caps have moved on for better or worse.
Nah. None of us knows what is going on behind the scenes. I would wager George is talking with Semin's camp now. I suspect a contract similar to Green's will get it done.

bgroban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 08:52 AM
Marshall
Too right, man.

The problem with Semin is so much of it comes down to semantics. He's poor in his own zone, but can be an excellent back-checker in the offensive zone. Loses coverage easily, but has a good takeaway game when he's not taking penalties. He has been used on PK by Boudreau, but the more defensive-minded Hunter sat his ass on the PK as fast as he could, as in 69 seconds total on the PK last year.

All-in-all, he's a below average defender in the defensive zone who takes chances in the offensive zone. Sometimes they pay off brilliantly, other times it's another infuriating penalty.

Last edited by Marshall: 07-17-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 08:57 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
The problem with Semin is so much of it comes down to semantics. He's poor in his own zone, but can be an excellent back-checker in the offensive zone. Loses coverage easily, but has a good takeaway game, when he's not taking penalties. He has been used on PK by Boudreau, but the more defensive-minded Hunter sat his ass on the PK as fast as he could, as in 69 seconds total on the PK last year.

All-in-all, he's a below average defender in the defensive zone who takes chances in the offensive zone. Sometimes they pay off brilliantly, other times it's another infuriating penalty.
One of his highlights this past year was his stealing the puck from Toronto defender Luke Schenn in the Toronto end of the ice and then wristing the puck into the TOML goal.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 09:11 AM
Millhaus

Semin is a high risk high reward player in everything he does. He is what he is and IMO trying to dial down the risk means also dialing down the reward at a similar rate.

I'm not happy he isn't coming back because the Caps look thin on talent now and they finally brought in a legit playmaking centerman who he could thrive next to only to not let him walk out the door. But I accepted he is gone.

I hope wherever he goes he is given the chance to play top minutes in all situations and ideally on the left as I have no doubt he will be great if given that chance, which he was never going to get in DC for a number of reasons.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 09:16 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
Are you guys generally disappointed he's not resigning? I mean is the on-again-off-again Semin thing to much or would you gladly welcome him back (i.e. the pros outweigh the cons with this guy).
Many have wanted him gone for years, others want him retained because players of his skill level don't come into town often.

I see the negatives people don't like. But I can find fault with most any player. I think his pro's outweigh the cons. He is an entertaining player, if even half the time anger is the form of entertainment.

I prefer him retained because Kuznetsov chose to stay in Russia. I think that threw a monkey wrench into George's plans. And also, I think its more likely we play boring dump and chase and trap crap hockey with such a low overall skill level among our forwards, without him. ZZZzzz

Enter Wolski, our "replacement" for Semin. Folks are saying Ribeiro replaces Semin but I don't. Semin could create goals on his own.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 07-17-2012 at 09:25 AM.
RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 09:17 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Semin has the talent to compete for the Selke from the wing. Which is absurd. Unfortunately, he chooses not to apply himself on a regular basis.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 11:16 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

He's not going to block many shots or rub guys out along the boards, but he's an above average defender, excellent possession player, and excellent penalty killer. He's the type of player who drives play away from his defensive zone.

Mystlyfe is online now   Reply With Quote