HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

The Football Thread: Now Its Time For the Easiest Part of Any Coach's Job...The Cuts

Closed Thread

Old
08-04-2012, 10:35 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
Wallace is stupid. He's going to get behind with new offense. He got to learn all new plays designed by Haley. A mediocre year could hurt Wallace's value.
does Wallace run plays? I thought he just sprinted up the field

Old
08-04-2012, 11:23 AM
JTG

And that's another thing to think about. If you give Wallace 5 years, the odds of him being a 4.3 guy then is very, very slim. Now the question becomes, if he a good enough receiver without the speed to warrant that kind of money?

The answer is a million times no.

Old
08-04-2012, 11:28 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
And that's another thing to think about. If you give Wallace 5 years, the odds of him being a 4.3 guy then is very, very slim. Now the question becomes, if he a good enough receiver without the speed to warrant that kind of money?

The answer is a million times no.
ya I see him being a star for a relatively short time

Old
08-04-2012, 02:59 PM
JTG

Question for the masses...if some team offers us a 2nd rounder for Mike Wallace, do you take it?

Old
08-04-2012, 03:04 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Question for the masses...if some team offers us a 2nd rounder for Mike Wallace, do you take it?
Yes. Considering how valuable NFL picks are and we picked him up in the 3rd round. We already have 3 great receivers w/o him signed Brown (Who is better than Wallace by a fair margin), Saunders, and Cotchery. With how the new offense is going to be, will we need Wallace?

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
08-04-2012, 03:17 PM
JTG

That's a good question. I think you always need a guy who can take the top off coverage.

Old
08-04-2012, 03:22 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
That's a good question. I think you always need a guy who can take the top off coverage.
For sure but for the price he wants, hell no. His production took a nose dive last year as well.

First 8 weeks avg: 100yds avg

Last 8 weeks: 49.125yds avg

All together his average was 74.6 a game but, his numbers are so top heavy from the beginning of the season.

From where I got the yards log: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/9348/gamelog

Old
08-04-2012, 03:26 PM
JTG

Yeah, I remember saying last season that it seemed like Mike was the go-to early in games, and then he was ignored completely the rest. I don't know if that is because he was just being covered, or if Ben was just ignoring him for AB.

Old
08-04-2012, 03:30 PM
End of Line
Human After All

I think after the 1st qtr Ben would throw it to Brown a lot more. Personally, Wallace to me is only a deep threat while Brown can do it all.

Old
08-04-2012, 03:35 PM
JTG

I can agree with that. I wouldn't underestimate what Wallace brings to Brown's game though. It's real easy to work the middle of the field when Mike is dragging guys 40 yards down field with him.

Old
08-04-2012, 03:51 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
I can agree with that. I wouldn't underestimate what Wallace brings to Brown's game though. It's real easy to work the middle of the field when Mike is dragging guys 40 yards down field with him.
True.

Old
08-04-2012, 04:20 PM
sniugneP

I would keep Wallace for 1 more year and then franchise him. Then they can trade him for second rounder.

We don't really have good depth unless they feel Clemons can step up.

Old
08-04-2012, 04:29 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Steelers Depot ‏@Steelersdepot
First team Oline L-R Adams-Foster-Pouncey-DeCastro-Gilbert #steelers

Old
08-04-2012, 04:40 PM
JTG

That's not what it has been since camp has started. I imagine Starks and Colon got the night off or something.

Old
08-04-2012, 05:38 PM
Sivek

Don't know if anyone else picked up the new Football Outsiders Almanac but it's pretty high on Cortez Allen. Some other quick notes from it
-Keenan Lewis's coverage success rate was among the league's worst
-Steelers were among the worst at stopping runs out of a shotgun formation
-Ike Taylor covered the #1 WR on 68% of his targets, tied with Revis for highest rate of covering #1's in the league
-This one is not something that surprised me since it seemed like they got gouged by TE's last year, but the Steelers were one of three teams whose opponents threw to their TE's at least 25% of the time. Replacing Farrior will probably have a sizable impact on this.
-Steelers had the least amount of dropped passes in the league last year.
-Teams ran very successful at Ziggy Hood.
-FO has them tagged at 10.1 wins in their mean projection, a very good mark.
-Haley ranked 8,5,1 in using formations that involved max protection for the QB. During same time, Steelers were 26, 28, 23.
-KC last year ran 4WR more than most teams last year, but used 3 WR's at a league average rate. Steelers have ran 3 WR formations at about a 10% higher rate during that time.
-Haley also used a much higher rate of 2 RB formations and a much less rate of formations that involve one or no RB's than the Steelers have.
-I know people were talking about how the TE is supposed to be more prominent with Haley, but Haley has had a TE catch more 25 balls once in the last 5-6 years, and that was the only year he did not call plays.
-Since the AFL/NFL merger, only 2 QB's have been as sacked as much as Ben through the first 8 years of his career and the level of play for similarly sacked QB's falls off pretty fast after 30.

Old
08-04-2012, 05:43 PM
Smoke
Time is the flaw

vCash: 977
I just can not see the Steelers spending that much money on two wide receivers. I believe I read somewhere that no team has ever had $90million wrapped up in to two receivers at the same time. I never looked around to verify that though.

They are going to try and get what they can out of Wallace for the next two years and let him hit the road.

Old
08-04-2012, 07:32 PM
JTG

There probably haven't, but times are different. I'm sure if tracking the cap back, Wayne-Harrison, Bruce-Holt, Moss-Carter made similar amounts relative to the cap. Then again, we are CERTAINLY not paying guys like the guys I just mentioned. At least Brown and Wallace aren't there yet.

Old
08-04-2012, 07:35 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

If have no idea, but what about Larry Fitzgerald, and any other ARI WR?? Is that a ton of money just for Fitz?? Wasn't his contract over 100 million?

Old
08-04-2012, 07:40 PM
JTG

And in all actuality, the total dollar amoount of the contract is moot. What matters is the guaranteed money, which for both Wallace and Brown should be in the 25-30 million range.

Old
08-04-2012, 07:42 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
And in all actuality, the total dollar amoount of the contract is moot. What matters is the guaranteed money, which for both Wallace and Brown should be in the 25-30 million range.
Yeah, that is what it is all about.

Old
08-05-2012, 02:40 PM
JTG

From everything I'm reading, Willie Colon is absolutely dominating at LG this camp. I'm incredibly curious to see how DeCastro and Adams look in the preseason. Word is that DeCastro hasn't been great, but Adams will probably start the season at LT. Haven't heard a lot on Gilbert either.

I think this is going to be a rebuilding season for us. No matter how I try to spin it, our secondary is putrid. Absolutely putrid. Not feeling real confident about our linebacking situation either. We got nothing if Harrison isn't back healthy, Worilds isn't healthy, Foote isn't Foote of 5 years ago, and that pretty much leaves Timmons (who will be playing a different role in this defense), and Woodley (who will be facing 2 or 3 guys every play if no one is on the other side).

I'm also hearing that Ziggy isn't having a good camp, and in all honesty, I'll be curious to see where the put him. Since we've drafted Ziggy, I have been a little curious as to how he'd fair as a 3-4 end. I think he's done admirably, but the guy is a 4-3 tackle, IMO. I think putting him on the weak side and letting Heyward be on the strong side is what needs to happen. Ziggy is bigger than Cam, but I think Cam is stronger.

Old
08-05-2012, 03:45 PM
sniugneP

I don't know. I don't think secondary is putrid. I'm more concerned in the middle. We're going to have McLendon at NT and Foote at ILB. If I were opposing offensive coordinator, I would run constantly between tackles until they can stop us. I hope Sylvester is having a good camp because we need him at ILB.

Old
08-05-2012, 05:05 PM
Dylonus

Quote:
That's not what it has been since camp has started. I imagine Starks and Colon got the night off or something.
Starks is no where near game-ready... and Colon is, surprise, INJURED!

Colon, however, has apparently been "very impressive" at LG.

Old
08-05-2012, 06:55 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Didn't Colon get injured in a fight?? Post play scuffle?? Not sure, but IIRC that is the case. And yeah, I heard he was been looking great so far. Hopefully the injury is minor.

Old
08-06-2012, 07:18 PM
Jaded-Fan

Am I the only one shocked that it is football season again already on Thursday? That snuck on me big time.

Closed Thread