HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Football Thread: Now Its Time For the Easiest Part of Any Coach's Job...The Cuts

Closed Thread

Old
09-07-2012, 01:16 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 500
Palko was great compared to the guys that have followed him, but compared to what he should have been he was still a failure. I remember watching him in high school and thinking that he had a chance to be the next Pittsburgh-area HoF QB.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 09-07-2012 at 01:47 AM.
Old
09-07-2012, 01:40 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Fitzgerald was already gone by the time Palko became Pitt's starter in 2004. Fitz was drafted in the spring of 2004 and Palko became starter at the start of the 2004 season (late summer/early fall 2004). Palko red shirted in 2003 and got just 3 attempts in 2002.

Fitz did make Rod Rutherford look much better than he was though.

Old
09-07-2012, 01:50 AM
Dylonus

Mark Madden said it.... PITT is lucky to win more than 1 game this year.

Honestly, I don't see who they will beat, at this point.

Old
09-07-2012, 02:48 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

They are horrible. The QB needs to go. I can't remember a QB that makes more bonehead plays than this guy. Just deflates everybody when he does it too.

I suppose we'll see how good a coach Chryst is. Usually a good coach can take a group of crap like this, coach 'em up and make them a better team by the end of the season.

Old
09-07-2012, 03:10 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

Steelers to sign the fastest guy in the NFL who's name makes me think of old white men.

Hard not to like this because there's literally nothing to lose...also hard to find a lot to love about it since he was only drafted in the 3rd round because he had a ridiculous combine speed and, you know, Al Davis. I know a lot of Raiders fans who were livid after his release. Considering he'll sit 5th on the CB depth chart I doubt we'll see him much at all, but for a guy who's essentially the 56th guy on the roster (Johnson and Spence on IR and DeCastro will have to be placed on that half-season IR for the move to become official) it's nice to have a guy who has a couple nice building blocks (you can't teach speed and you can't teach size...the rest comes later...remember Ike Taylor was in the same boat coming out of college and he made it despite getting his GED from those idiots at Swaggin').

Old
09-07-2012, 03:23 AM
wheelz87
Pens Predictor CHAMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post
Mark Madden said it.... PITT is lucky to win more than 1 game this year.

Honestly, I don't see who they will beat, at this point.
Hey now, we might be able to beat Gardner Webb!!

Though I guarantee their QB outplays ours..

Old
09-07-2012, 04:45 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Yeah, Van Dyke is intriguing. The coach and GM that drafted him were replaced after Al Davis died. The new regime didn't value him as highly but the Steelers obviously see something in him. It also explains why they kept so few CB's to start. They obviously didn't feel they had a 5th CB in camp that was worthy of a roster spot. Same can probably be said for the WR position this year.

Old
09-07-2012, 07:42 AM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan68 View Post
I think Fitz had ALOT to do with how good he was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Fitzgerald was already gone by the time Palko became Pitt's starter in 2004. Fitz was drafted in the spring of 2004 and Palko became starter at the start of the 2004 season (late summer/early fall 2004). Palko red shirted in 2003 and got just 3 attempts in 2002.

Fitz did make Rod Rutherford look much better than he was though.
That's correct. Rutherford just lobbed passes to Fitzgerald all day.

Palko's best targets were Greg Lee and Derek Kinder when he was at Pitt. It's too bad that Palko didn't get a season or two to throw to Fitzgerald, that could have been a pretty potent combo.

Old
09-07-2012, 08:35 AM
cassius

It's gotten so bad that I'm actually yearning for the days of when Bill Stull was Pitt's starting QB.

Never thought I would say this, but Stull was "cerebral" compared to Tino.

Old
09-07-2012, 09:51 AM
Pens1566

As a WVU fan/alum, I'm loving the start to this season.

Old
09-07-2012, 12:07 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Yeah, Van Dyke is intriguing. The coach and GM that drafted him were replaced after Al Davis died. The new regime didn't value him as highly but the Steelers obviously see something in him. It also explains why they kept so few CB's to start. They obviously didn't feel they had a 5th CB in camp that was worthy of a roster spot. Same can probably be said for the WR position this year.
I think the Steelers had 3 #5 WRs in camp, but none of them stood out from each other and there was no way we were going to lose all 3 for nothing (Clemons & Gilreath are on the practice squad and Maze is a free agent) and I think the Steelers are quite happy to fit Rainey in on the depth chart as the #5 receiver.

CBs...I don't see Van Dyke as being a lesser player than Josh Victorian...

Old
09-07-2012, 03:25 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I haven't followed much of this NFL scandal thing w/ the Saints, but what happens now that the players won the appeal? How is it that a commissioner of a league can be overturned? Doesn't that set up some very weird situations in the near future? What if the NFLPA just goes at RG every fine he sends out?

Like I said - I'm not well informed on this because I didn't care to pay attention to it. But that was my initial reaction.

Old
09-07-2012, 03:35 PM
cassius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I haven't followed much of this NFL scandal thing w/ the Saints, but what happens now that the players won the appeal? How is it that a commissioner of a league can be overturned? Doesn't that set up some very weird situations in the near future? What if the NFLPA just goes at RG every fine he sends out?

Like I said - I'm not well informed on this because I didn't care to pay attention to it. But that was my initial reaction.
It's an unemployment issue from what I understand... fines are one thing, but banning someone from a sport and impacting their future job prospects is way different.

Seems like RG made a strong ruling without having much of a factual basis for said punishment.

Old
09-07-2012, 04:09 PM
Sivek

Gerrit Cole made his 2nd start in AAA. Didn't go very well. 2 IP 9 hits and 8 runs allowed.

Old
09-07-2012, 04:18 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
Did Walt Harris find a job after leaving Stanford? His Pitt teams were the best out of any recent coach, IMO. He always had top notch receivers and CB's to boot. I remember when Pitt almost beat top 5 ranked Miami U (21-28), and was consistently a contender in the big east. They'll get killed in the ACC.

Old
09-07-2012, 04:26 PM
sniugneP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggyjoe21 View Post
Did Walt Harris find a job after leaving Stanford? His Pitt teams were the best out of any recent coach, IMO. He always had top notch receivers and CB's to boot. I remember when Pitt almost beat top 5 ranked Miami U (21-28), and was consistently a contender in the big east. They'll get killed in the ACC.
That's true but Pitt was never being physical matched at trenches on both sides while Harris was at Pitt. His running game never worked and his defenses were mediocre at best. He was never known as great recruiter despite he got some good skilled players. He basically ignored top WPIAL players.

Old
09-07-2012, 04:28 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
That's true but Pitt was never being physical matched at trenches on both sides while Harris was at Pitt. His running game never worked and his defenses were mediocre at best. He was never known as great recruiter despite he got some good skilled players. He basically ignored top WPIAL players.
And any of this is bad because......?

He's the most successful football coach Pitt had in over a decade, if not 2. He may not be the recruiter that Wannsdedt (sp?) was but he's a winner.

Combine Harris and Wannsdedt and you could have a powerhouse

Old
09-07-2012, 05:08 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Just 8 years?

I think Rod Rutherford may be the best Pitt QB I've seen and he was lousy.
He was serviceable. Granted he was throwing to probably the best college wideout ever.

That makes me remember a guy who had a show on PGH public access whose entire show was based off him talking about Rutherford and how Fitzgerald was only a product of playing with such a great QB. This wasn't one show...this was week after week. It was hilarious.

Old
09-07-2012, 05:14 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggyjoe21 View Post
Did Walt Harris find a job after leaving Stanford? His Pitt teams were the best out of any recent coach, IMO.
he spent some time as the OC for Cal U. strange how he keeps pingponging between the bay area and western PA. his career seems to have gone into the tank.

Old
09-07-2012, 08:24 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Ike Taylor and Stephen A. Smith are going at each other on twitter.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
09-07-2012, 08:32 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Old
09-07-2012, 08:34 PM
JTG

When I hear Stephen A Smith...I think of this

Old
09-07-2012, 08:49 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
When I hear Stephen A Smith...I think of this

Wasn't to pleased when he said this.

Old
09-08-2012, 03:34 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

The biggest FCS regular season non-conference game ever kicks off in 14 hours...and I start work in 13 hours.

Montana @ Appalachian State will be on ESPN3 tomorrow at 6:30 eastern...if you want something to wash the stink of Pennsylvania college football in 2012 out of your face holes I suggest this.

I have to turn my cell phone off and try to watch it on replay when I get back...at least this one is on ESPN3 so I have the chance to do that instead of missing it entirely.

Old
09-08-2012, 09:26 AM
End of Line
Human After All

Closed Thread