HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Football Thread: Now Its Time For the Easiest Part of Any Coach's Job...The Cuts

Closed Thread

Old
07-25-2012, 07:06 AM
edog37

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
No I'm just mind blown over the fact that you think playing a football game has anything to do with "doing the right thing." Seriously, talk about being dramatic.

"I don't want my team to play PSU because it would mean that......" what exactly? You hate PSU and you want to say bad things about them just say that. It's okay, you're in large company. Doesn't mean they didn't do anything wrong, but let's get to the heart of why so many that have no association whatsoever feel the need to throw their weight around on this topic.
I beg to differ on this one. I have immediate family who went there, my taxes go towards funding Penn State (along with Pitt), I myself am a resident of Pennsylvania & the school bears the state name. For years, all I have ever heard coming out of State College is how squeaky clean they are. And of course, that good ole' fashioned Penn State elitism towards anyone else. Well guess what, those myths have forever been silenced. And as far as the game is concerned, I would hope that my alma mater would try & honor the victims & not play those games. Not be tarred by that brush. That would be a great sanction in my estimation.

Old
07-25-2012, 07:20 AM
Pens1566

I'm leaning towards the punishment being on the low end of the just right range. IMO, you could have gone with the punishment being as long as the coverup. When the whole problem was the program being more important than anything else, it's only fair to knock it down to get priorities straight again.

Full disclosure, my parents are both originally from the area. I've spent great amounts of time in that area. The worship culture is part of the problem, although not unique to PSU alone.

Old
07-25-2012, 09:58 AM
Shady Machine

I read this article a little over a week ago on CNN. Of course this is just one woman's perspective, but it sheds light to how powerful the football program and Joe Paterno really were at Penn State. To me, it provides a context to show how something like the Sandusky thing could go down. Thought it would add to the discussion.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/15/us/tri...ate/index.html

Old
07-25-2012, 10:13 AM
nwpensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by edog37 View Post
I beg to differ on this one. I have immediate family who went there, my taxes go towards funding Penn State (along with Pitt), I myself am a resident of Pennsylvania & the school bears the state name. For years, all I have ever heard coming out of State College is how squeaky clean they are. And of course, that good ole' fashioned Penn State elitism towards anyone else. Well guess what, those myths have forever been silenced. And as far as the game is concerned, I would hope that my alma mater would try & honor the victims & not play those games. Not be tarred by that brush. That would be a great sanction in my estimation.
My father went to Pitt and I am a fan of that school but what you are saying just makes no sense to me at all!!! How is Pitt going to be tarred by playing a football game? There are ******** like Sandusky all over society whether you want to believe it or not. I would bet that there may be one who graduated from Pitt or worked at Pitt that was not so well known. Maybe there is one who once worked where you are currently employed? Are you going to quit your job if you find out that's true? Will you boycott Pitt football if you found out a former/current employee is a "pedophile"?

Please get some perspective!! Not everyone at Penn State are ******** just as not everyone at Pitt is a saint!!!

Last edited by nwpensfan: 07-25-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old
07-25-2012, 10:28 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpensfan View Post
My father went to Pitt and I am a fan of that school but what you are saying just makes no sense to me at all!!! How is Pitt going to be tarred by playing a football game? There are ******** like Sandusky all over society whether you want to believe it or not. I would bet that there may be one who graduated from Pitt or worked at Pitt that was not so well known. Maybe there is one who once worked where you are currently employed? Are you going to quit your job if you find out that's true? Will you boycott Pitt football if you found out a former/current employee is a "pedophile"?

Please get some perspective!! Not everyone at Penn State are ******** just as not everyone at Pitt is a saint!!!
You must be really, really excited because all of your posts have a crazy amount of exclamation points.

Old
07-25-2012, 10:46 AM
nwpensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
You must be really, really excited because all of your posts have a crazy amount of exclamation points.
Sorry about that! Guess I wanted to make my point. My wife says I am a quiet talker so I have to yell a lot.

Last edited by nwpensfan: 07-25-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old
07-25-2012, 12:10 PM
edog37

Quote:

I never said everyone at Pitt is a saint nor is everyone at Penn State a pedophile. My point is that I hope Pitt cancels the games due to the events that have occurred. Much like sponsors flew away from Tiger Woods after his marital issues came to light. I just think Pitt should take a moral stand on it.

Old
07-25-2012, 12:19 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Sorry about that! Guess I wanted to make my point. My wife says I am a quiet talker so I have to yell a lot.
No problem haha. I just found it amusing.

Old
07-25-2012, 12:31 PM
nwpensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by edog37 View Post
I never said everyone at Pitt is a saint nor is everyone at Penn State a pedophile. My point is that I hope Pitt cancels the games due to the events that have occurred. Much like sponsors flew away from Tiger Woods after his marital issues came to light. I just think Pitt should take a moral stand on it.
Always looked forward to Pitt vs. Penn State games when growing up.. Would hate to see a chance for those to come back fail over some personal desire to stick it to Penn State while it is down over the failings of a few in the guise of morality. How is it moral to punish a whole community for the failings of one sick individual and a few misguided administrators?

Old
07-25-2012, 12:54 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Always looked forward to Pitt vs. Penn State games when growing up.. Would hate to see a chance for those to come back fail over some personal desire to stick it to Penn State while it is down over the failings of a few in the guise of morality. How is it moral to punish a whole community for the failings of one sick individual and a few misguided administrators?
They are punishing Penn State football and the school for hiding the act. The fact that others are affected by this is unfortunate, but it's just the reality of the matter. Penn State leadership, which the Board at Penn State is responsible for, failed miserably. Just getting rid of those people directly responsible for failing to act is not enough. The program and school needed to feel the pain since it was the culture created and allowed at Penn State that was part of the problem. Thus, I think the best course of action is one that "shocked the system" so to speak. This definitely does that. The whole vacating wins thing is silly to me, but the severity of the punishment fits the crimes IMO.

Old
07-25-2012, 01:04 PM
nwpensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
They are punishing Penn State football and the school for hiding the act. The fact that others are affected by this is unfortunate, but it's just the reality of the matter. Penn State leadership, which the Board at Penn State is responsible for, failed miserably. Just getting rid of those people directly responsible for failing to act is not enough. The program and school needed to feel the pain since it was the culture created and allowed at Penn State that was part of the problem. Thus, I think the best course of action is one that "shocked the system" so to speak. This definitely does that. The whole vacating wins thing is silly to me, but the severity of the punishment fits the crimes IMO.
I was more responding to the Pitt fan wanting to cancel games with Penn State in the name of morality. In terms of the NCAA sanctions, as I stated earlier, I believe they were executed in part for the PR (quick action when it, the NCAA, has been relatively slow and ineffective) the NCAA could get in doing "the right thing". I think you are saying the same thing so I believe we are in agreement for the most part. I think the punishments were a a little too severe but not complaining too much.

Old
07-25-2012, 01:14 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
I was more responding to the Pitt fan wanting to cancel games with Penn State in the name of morality. In terms of the NCAA sanctions, as I stated earlier, I believe they were executed in part for the PR (quick action when it, the NCAA, has been relatively slow and ineffective) the NCAA could get in doing "the right thing". I think you are saying the same thing so I believe we are in agreement for the most part. I think the punishments were a a little too severe but not complaining too much.
Sounds good to me.

Old
07-25-2012, 01:30 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Hope Solo is on TV today.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
07-25-2012, 02:01 PM
Flat Stanley

Mark Kaboly ‏@MarkKaboly_Trib
Am hearing rumblings of a deal getting close with Wallace.

Old
07-25-2012, 02:51 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
Hope Solo is on TV today.

Has slight mole under left nostril. Would not bang.

Old
07-25-2012, 02:58 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Has slight mole under left nostril. Would not bang.
this has got to stop. her teeth are whiter than yours and mine and you know that. plus she'll kick your balls.

Old
07-25-2012, 02:58 PM
moose tracks

Wow some sick Nitters out there. Even after these past few months the cult is still alive and well.

http://bwi.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fi...id=890&style=2

http://deadspin.com/5928585/penn-sta...ng-into-towers

Old
07-25-2012, 03:02 PM
wheelz87
Pens Predictor CHAMP

I prefer Alex Morgan please

Old
07-25-2012, 06:16 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
this has got to stop. her teeth are whiter than yours and mine and you know that. plus she'll kick your balls.
You're right. I was trying to go with the better vibe flow put forth by the fan of the imperfect woman never to be acknowledged as pretty good by the rigorous standards of "internet guys everywhere".

Old
07-25-2012, 06:22 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose tracks View Post
Wow some sick Nitters out there. Even after these past few months the cult is still alive and well.

http://bwi.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fi...id=890&style=2

http://deadspin.com/5928585/penn-sta...ng-into-towers
"Joe did the right thing..." "Joe was praised by the AD..."

Jesus Christ there are some dumb, delusional MFs out there. And for sure every big school has them. If this is their reaction to a cut and dry situation imagine how well informed their votes must be when things are a little more muddled / require a little more research. Oy.

Old
07-26-2012, 08:50 AM
SuburbanRhythm
WorldClassJagoff

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/st...959032e85.html

Old
07-26-2012, 10:56 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

I like that guy's attitude. Steelers personalities > Bears personalities

Old
07-26-2012, 12:34 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
You're right. I was trying to go with the better vibe flow put forth by the fan of the imperfect woman never to be acknowledged as pretty good by the rigorous standards of "internet guys everywhere".
i just like to yanking your chain - it's so long and pliant. whats so disconcerting about internet-guy-standards is that they port over to real life as well. the last thing this world needs is dwesh-nerds. i myself try to compartmentalize those traits.

edit: what's the proper fake spelling for ******?

Old
07-26-2012, 06:07 PM
JTG

Every guy who was born and raised in the country wants one of those. I know I do. Have no idea why. I surely don't need it.

Old
07-26-2012, 07:12 PM
ScOrpik

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Every guy who was born and raised in the country wants one of those. I know I do. Have no idea why. I surely don't need it.
As a suburbanite who was recently hired by CNH (we make Ag machinery), I can testify that its not just country boys who think driving tractors is awesome!

Closed Thread