HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leino and the Cap Floor

Old
07-17-2012, 01:59 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Leino and the Cap Floor

http://capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=290

So, the Leino contract is pretty bad. However, since his contract is very frontloaded...the rest of his deal isn't that bad for a team who needs to get to the capfloor.

Year 1 of his deal, he received a 5 million signing bonus and a 1 million salary
Year 2 of his deal he received a 4 million signing bonus and a 2 million salary.

That signing bonus is paid. So, as of this very second, he has 5 years, 17 million left on the deal at a 4.5 cap hit. So, if you aren't ever going to spend to the cap ANYWAYS....

Any teams with lots of cap space and in need of a 2nd line LW? The cost would essentially be nothing or the Sabres eating a bad contract that can be bought out/sent to rochester.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 02:08 PM
hockeyarena
.net

vCash: 1503
Ya I could see a team like Phoenix giving up a bag of pucks for him to get to the cap floor.

I'd rather have Gomez though.

hockeyarena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 02:08 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

ahh the famous crap player being turned into an asset that wont ever actually be moved.

Seriously, why do people think that teams want to make the cap floor from other teams terrible contracts.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 02:13 PM
hockeyarena
.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
ahh the famous crap player being turned into an asset that wont ever actually be moved.

Seriously, why do people think that teams want to make the cap floor from other teams terrible contracts.
you realize that thanks to the genius' who raised the floor $6 million, Phoenix has to spend $10 million on 2 players to reach it...that has to come from somewhere...

Old
07-17-2012, 02:14 PM
TSA0402

Ville Leino at 3 million isn't such a bad pickup.

Then again, I'm thinking that Sabres brass feels the same way.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 02:16 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
I would love to hear a single reason what a cap floor is supposed to do.
Just one reason

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 02:18 PM
TSA0402

The purpose is to force each team to at least attempt to field a competitive team.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 02:19 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
Just one reason
Cap floor prevents teams from spending no money and profiting from revenue sharing.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 02:23 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
As much as this trading big cap number contracts with little salary left has been a great idea for a while, when has it actually happened? When has a team needed to reach the cap floor so they took a bloated contract that was front-loaded? I think fans of the big spending teams like that it's possibly a way out of cap trouble, but in reality it doesn't happen.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 02:30 PM
danaluvsthekings

I think a lot of teams are going to be waiting to see how the new CBA turns out before thinking about taking on cap dump trades. Right now, what the floor and ceiling are for next season may not be what they actually end up as.

Not to mention, if the cap drops dramatically (I don't see the NHL getting the 46% of revenue that they're asking for now, but I do see the percentage lowering from the 57% that the players get currently), there is going to need to be some sort of salary rollback or there will be multiple teams needing to make some cap dump trades. If that's the case, teams with the cap space will have their choice of players that need to be moved for salary reasons.

danaluvsthekings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 02:31 PM
WJF

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
The purpose is to force each team to at least attempt to field a competitive team.
Hasn't worked on the Maple Leafs.

WJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 02:31 PM
Clamshells

I wouldn't mind if Ottawa picked him up off waivers. Even at 4.5m/yr I think he can still be a decent player. He'll never live up to the cap hit, but he would be an okay stop gap between now and when the prospects start becoming effective players.

Plus MacLean is familiar with him from their time in Detroit.

This is crazy, but waive him maybe?

Clamshells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 02:38 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Given what Gary is trying to do right now, I don't think we see a lot of teams trading for contracts to get them to the cap floor.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 02:39 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
Cap floor prevents teams from spending no money and profiting from revenue sharing.
So couldn't they just take away their part of the revenue sharing? What would the NHL actually do if a team came out and refused to spend to the cap floor?

Old
07-17-2012, 02:40 PM
hockeyarena
.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
So couldn't they just take away their part of the revenue sharing? What would the NHL actually do if a team came out and refused to spend to the cap floor?
Something tells me we're about to find out.

Old
07-17-2012, 02:42 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Gomez has more value than Leino. I don't know how Gomez has more value than anything, but if people are preferring Gomez to a player, you know that player is EXTREMELY bad.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 02:44 PM
number72

Leino still has 4 years under his contract. He will be more tradeable in his last two years.

number72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 02:50 PM
VilleLeino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Gomez has more value than Leino. I don't know how Gomez has more value than anything, but if people are preferring Gomez to a player, you know that player is EXTREMELY bad.
lol no

VilleLeino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 02:53 PM
PRNuck
Wow. What a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post

Yeah don't they know they can give out their own crap contracts to reach the floor like Dale Tallon?

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 02:55 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Yeah don't they know they can give out their own crap contracts to reach the floor like Dale Tallon?
Why not just sign Steve Staios to a contract laced with bonuses to get to the floor? I mean really what was that bonus for winning the Stanley Cup actually about?

Old
07-17-2012, 02:57 PM
-DeMo-

Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
Just one reason
players are suppose to recieve a certain percentage of the revenue generated by the NHL the cap floor forces teams to give the players there portion owed to them. because without the floor teams could spend less and not come close to the percentage required if they choose to.

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 03:07 PM
uncleben85
My face is my mask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyarenadotnet View Post
you realize that thanks to the genius' who raised the floor $6 million, Phoenix has to spend $10 million on 2 players to reach it...that has to come from somewhere...
Leino and Komisarek to the Desert!

uncleben85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 03:18 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Its probably the same punishment for going over the cap. Theres a reason why teams dont go over the cap... no? Most likely fined money and draft picks. They could reposes the team. Their are plenty of contracts that are bound by law, the NHL can do w.e they deem necessary. If you are not a fit owner and are not in it to win, then the NHL will do what is necessary.

Old
07-17-2012, 03:27 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
Its probably the same punishment for going over the cap. Theres a reason why teams dont go over the cap... no? Most likely fined money and draft picks. They could reposes the team. Their are plenty of contracts that are bound by law, the NHL can do w.e they deem necessary. If you are not a fit owner and are not in it to win, then the NHL will do what is necessary.
Honestly there are probably 4 or 5 teams that if they don't get their way in this CBA that would probably make that stand. What would Gary then do? Take over control of them all?

People are talking about this owner vs. player part of the CBA, but from what I gather there is going to be some owner vs. owner.

Old
07-17-2012, 03:42 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Honestly there are probably 4 or 5 teams that if they don't get their way in this CBA that would probably make that stand. What would Gary then do? Take over control of them all?

People are talking about this owner vs. player part of the CBA, but from what I gather there is going to be some owner vs. owner.
This would be the precise reason as to why a lot of people question Gary Bettman. He has attempted to build and create hockey markets across the USA where hockey isnt even a part of the culture. There are plenty of markets across Canada that would make more sense.

Gary Bettman has forced his own hand. He has to create the CBA to both benefit the large and small markets. He has to find common ground between the Upper, Middle, and Lower Class teams (metaphorically speaking). As history has shown, this is not a very easy task.