HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers re-sign Peckham (1year/$1.075M)

Old
07-16-2012, 01:09 PM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
So.. goodbye to Potter? Looks like Tambo will do nothing more to the defense. Dissapointing. He just doesn't get it.
It's a one way deal. This contract doesn't constitute giving Peckham a roster spot.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 01:11 PM
Jeff Lebowski

vCash: 500
I'm very happy with this signing. He's a great team guy and we can use his toughness. I'm surprised at how many guys already want to toss Theo to the curb. He's a 24 year old defenceman. It's not like he's already reached his peak. I hope that he takes a huge step forward this season.

Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 01:13 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCommie View Post
I hope he has a rebound year. two seasons ago he played very solid and consistent hockey.
I agree. He has potential, why not see if he can realize it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Better than not having any. At some point either him or Potter will be on waivers and off to OKC or to whomever picks them up.
The Oilers biggest problem over the last 4 or 5 years has been their lack of depth. Injuries hit and they haven't had anyone even remotely reliable to plug in. Peckham is that kind of guy, someone who can step in as a 6th d-man to soak up a few minutes while everyone else slides up the chart if a guy like Whitney goes down.

He also had a pretty good year 2 years ago, so why are people upset at Tambi for giving him a chance to get back on that track? Wouldn't it be a bit irresponsible of him to not give Peckham a second chance after last season? All you guys complaining about this signing would be twice as mad if Tambillini let him walk and then he signed in Calgary and had a great season.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 01:14 PM
Pennertration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I hardly think of Peckham as high reward or a decent D option for a worthwhile NHL club. That he looked better than he is here is largely attributed to how bad this club, and its D core actually was. That provided its own illusion the year people think that they saw Peckham good.

This is what you get.

Kind of a waste of a space and a million bucks. I wouldn't have this guy as an 8 defencemen.
Really? A million bucks isn't much to pay at all for a depth D-man. Would you have let him walk then?

What's wrong with letting Peckham split time with Sutton in the 6-spot? (That's assuming no other D-men are acquired). Odds are Sutton will get suspended/hurt at some point, so what's wrong with Peckham stepping in when/if that happens?

You draft/develop a guy - spend years developing him and he shows flashes of being an NHL defencemen, but you would let him walk for nothing? Why? Who would you play in his place (again if no other D-men are acquired)?

I honestly see no downside to this signing. I see a downside in not acquiring another defenceman. But with this signing, you can have this guy fill the 6th d-man role at an NHL level, you can try to send him down to the farm to play there, or you lose him on waivers. So, what's the problem? Not like we have a tonne of great D-men to step in right now.

Pennertration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 01:15 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
So.. goodbye to Potter? Looks like Tambo will do nothing more to the defense. Dissapointing. He just doesn't get it.
I don't think this means anything at this point other than they rather have something than nothing.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 01:23 PM
Gord
Tesla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Hall and Ebs enter their 3rd seasons. No sophomore slumps last year, I think we can expect 60-70 points and probably more in a full season from them both.

Hemsky had his worst year ever in terms of production.

Khabibulin was abysmal for his final 20 or so starts.

Yakupov comes in as a the no.1 overall pick. Past 5 no.1 picks have produced:
RNH- 18-34-52
Hall- 22-20-42
Tavares- 24-30-54
Stamkos - 23-23-46

Essentially, the Oilers should improve substantially if only through experience (RNH, Hall, Eberle, Dubnyk, Smid, Petry), talent increase (Schultz and Yakupov) and most importantly goaltending (Dubnyk).

If they can keep Khabibulin on the bench for 65 or more games, they will contend for a playoff spot. I still expect the Oilers to finish about 10-12th in the West, but only out of 8th by 6 or so points. I see Columbus and Anaheim being the most likely teams to sit at the bottom of the Western standings next season.
which part of this has anything to do with Peckham signing?

one year for $1 million? I'm ok with it. he's easy enough to get rid of if he doesn't play well. for the bottom pairing and the 7th, you might as well let them fight it out instead of just giving it to someone.
besides. I think Potter has more to worry about than Peckham.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 01:32 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
So we got Teubert for some unknown in trade for Penner who just won a Stanley Cup and instead of giving him the reigns we got Peckham suspecting that Teubert isn't half baked yet?

Man this has to inspire confidence in the org depth when we reload scrubs like Peckham who could audition as the leagues worst D last season.

ON CBC Peckmans toi would come with a slapstick laughtrack.
I got the same impression. How do we know Teubert might not be an NHLr when he was never given the opportunity

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 01:46 PM
Krut

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
I got the same impression. How do we know Teubert might not be an NHLr when he was never given the opportunity
He was awful in nearly every game he played last season in the NHL. I was somewhat impressed at the improvement he showed during his brief final call up compared to where he was earlier in the year, but he was downright bad before that, and has shown not nearly enough to be handed a spot on the team.

Krut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 01:55 PM
Pennertration

Quote:
What exactly is wrong with Teubert playing another season in the AHL? Could that possibly be better for his development? Perhaps that is the "opportunity" he needs - the opportunity to build his skills/confidence in the AHL instead of rushing him into the lineup.

Old
07-16-2012, 01:59 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

I don't have an issue with Teubert in the minors for another full season. He's still young and defencemen take time. The point of having a glut of NHL depth defencemen is so that you don't RUSH the defencemen that need time...you know, like how Detroit does things.

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 02:08 PM
Seedling
Tier 7 fan (ballcap)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennertration View Post
What exactly is wrong with Teubert playing another season in the AHL? Could that possibly be better for his development? Perhaps that is the "opportunity" he needs - the opportunity to build his skills/confidence in the AHL instead of rushing him into the lineup.
Teubert is actually following the same path Pecks did. He will be the first call up guy this year and get 20 games or so. Then a shot as a regular 6/7 guy next year.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
misfit

Surprising how many people are upset with this deal. What exactly did you think was going to happen?

frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennertration View Post
Nothing really. My point was more of the "Why are people writing off Teubert when Peckham isn't that much better" variety.

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 02:10 PM
Seedling
Tier 7 fan (ballcap)

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Surprising how many people are upset with this deal. What exactly did you think was going to happen?
Five years at five mill. Like Wideman or whatever.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 02:11 PM
Hemsky4PM

The Oilers should carry 8 defensemen ALL SEASON.

Injuries happen. Poor play happens. Accountability WILL happen under Kreuger.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 02:14 PM
Pennertration

Quote:
Nothing really. My point was more of the "Why are people writing off Teubert when Peckham isn't that much better" variety.
Ah, not sure who is better - long-term. I think both still have potential. Curious to see the kind of season they have.

Old
07-16-2012, 02:15 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

The dollars are negligible, this is more of "put up or shut up" contract so to speak.

He's basically going to have to fully establish himself or they organization will probably move him along. I have no problem with that, it's reached that point, imo.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 02:16 PM
t0psh3lfclu7ch
Real Men Have Scars

Send a message via ICQ to t0psh3lfclu7ch
oilers will have injuries on D. peckham steps in to fill that need.

t0psh3lfclu7ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 02:25 PM
MeestaDeteta

Why are people upset over this signing? It's a depth signing for our D, and considering the amount of injuries we've had recently, I'd prefer to have some depth available.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 02:51 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Yeah, no kidding; and to think, the negativism here should be left to me.

I thought during his first two years here, he really wasn't that bad as a number 5-6 d-man, bringing an element of toughness that few other Oilers possessed.

Clearly, he was terrible last year, but if he can return AND slightly improve from his form of a few years ago, we may actually have something to build on. Ahh, the problems with a young team and an inept management group.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 02:56 PM
OilerNut*

I think people are getting bored and need something to complain about.

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 03:04 PM
BowDangles

Peckham is at his best when he is hammering people and playing extremely physical, if he loses the slightest bit of that than he is ineffective and will not make the team.

He apparently is taking boxing lessons this summer to get over the concussion issues he was battling last year, I hope this helps but we will see.

Good luck Theo you are going to need it...

BowDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 03:06 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
The Oilers should carry 8 defensemen ALL SEASON.

Injuries happen. Poor play happens. Accountability WILL happen under Kreuger.
I agree the Oilers should carry 8 d-men, but geez, it'd be nice if we had a little bit more in the barn so that guys like Peckham and Potter were more like 8-9 options instead of 6-7.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 03:09 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
Peckham is at his best when he is hammering people and playing extremely physical, if he loses the slightest bit of that than he is ineffective and will not make the team.

He apparently is taking boxing lessons this summer to get over the concussion issues he was battling last year, I hope this helps but we will see.

Good luck Theo you are going to need it...
I don't necessarily agree. I thought one of his problems last year was going out of his way to play physically and putting himself out of position as a result. He needs to get better at thinking the game, reading the play and not force the rough stuff.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 03:11 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
I agree the Oilers should carry 8 d-men, but geez, it'd be nice if we had a little bit more in the barn so that guys like Peckham and Potter were more like 8-9 options instead of 6-7.
Today's NHL doesn't allow that, although they are 7 and 8 IMO. It's only a matter of time before Plante/Teubert/Fedun are in the same position and it doesn't matter if they are ready or not.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote