HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers re-sign Peckham (1year/$1.075M)

Old
07-16-2012, 03:14 PM
Moose Coleman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Today's NHL doesn't allow that, although they are 7 and 8 IMO. It's only a matter of time before Plante/Teubert/Fedun are in the same position and it doesn't matter if they are ready or not.
I meant as call-ups, not necessarily on the roster at all times. The main point was the Oilers need to shore up the top end of the blueline, but that's not news to anybody.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 03:23 PM
Eberle
4-93-14

Send a message via MSN to Eberle
Not sure why anybody is surprised. This was a player accepting a QO. If you think its ridiculous, you should have known this was coming since the QO.

Eberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 03:23 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 2642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
I meant as call-ups, not necessarily on the roster at all times. The main point was the Oilers need to shore up the top end of the blueline, but that's not news to anybody.
That's what I mean. Given how the NHL is currently ran you really don't have much of a chance to have guys like Peckham or Potter as callups. If someone doesn't take them on the way to OKC, you pretty much can guarantee they are picked up on re-entry.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 03:27 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
That's what I mean. Given how the NHL is currently ran you really don't have much of a chance to have guys like Peckham or Potter as callups. If someone doesn't take them on the way to OKC, you pretty much can guarantee they are picked up on re-entry.
I wonder if the Rosters get expanded in the new CBA? Go to 25 or 26, because of the ever present injury concern.

Jimmi McJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 03:36 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I wonder if the Rosters get expanded in the new CBA? Go to 25 or 26, because of the ever present injury concern.
I don't know that I'd want it to be that much, honestly that would be 5 or 6 players sitting a night, seems like a waste.

I'd like to see waivers changed back to the old way though. Would help out with sending guys up and down. Plus EA sports would finally have it right.

Old
07-16-2012, 03:39 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
I don't know that I'd want it to be that much, honestly that would be 5 or 6 players sitting a night, seems like a waste.

I'd like to see waivers changed back to the old way though. Would help out with sending guys up and down. Plus EA sports would finally have it right.
I don't remember the old way exactly, but even though it would be an number of extra guys, it would be more NHL jobs, I could see the PA liking that.

Old
07-16-2012, 03:41 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I don't remember the old way exactly, but even though it would be an number of extra guys, it would be more NHL jobs, I could see the PA liking that.
The old way was one-way deal, you have to clear waivers, two-way you can go up and down without waivers.

It would create jobs, but I could see guys getting pissed off sitting in the PB all year.

Old
07-16-2012, 03:43 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
The old way was one-way deal, you have to clear waivers, two-way you can go up and down without waivers.

It would create jobs, but I could see guys getting pissed off sitting in the PB all year.
Maybe, but it is NHL money for those guys.

Old
07-16-2012, 03:52 PM
Lacaar

Here's hoping he comes back as the Peckham from 2 years ago. He seemed to be on his way to becoming a nice 5 or 6 d-man. Than the wheels, seats, pretty much everything fell off the bus last year.

Lacaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 03:56 PM
McDorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 50
Just listened to Peckham on Gregor's show. Apparently he really needs to watch the carbs regarding his weight.

Apparently Cheesee Burgers are his favorite food.

Can we start calling him Cheeseburger now?

Or maybe the Cheeseburglar.

McDorian2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 03:57 PM
tiger_80

He needs to dedicate himself to conditioning this summer and be paired with a strong puck mover like Whitney to be effective.

I am hoping for:
Petry-N.Schulz
Smid-J.Schulz
Whitney-Peckham
Sutton

With Teubert and Fedun being call-ups. If the team is in the play-off contention near the deadline, trade for a veteran d-man.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 04:03 PM
Tyrolean

Quote:

A depth player making a smidge over the league minimum for one year is hardly the worst thing ever.
Except that he takes away one position of a player that may be better than him. Again this management shows bad judgement in managing pro players.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 04:04 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
Except that he takes away one position of a player that may be better than him. Again this management shows bad judgement in managing pro players.

Really? Ugh with this.

Old
07-16-2012, 04:07 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Who? If said player is better, Peckham goes on waivers and more than likely gets picked up.

Old
07-16-2012, 04:34 PM
Pennertration

Quote:
Who? If said player is better, Peckham goes on waivers and more than likely gets picked up.
Give the man a prize! The Captain Obvious prize! (Not dissing you BTW - this is intended for those who can't seem to figure out that the "repercussions" of this signing are nil).

Pennertration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 04:36 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennertration View Post
Give the man a prize! The Captain Obvious prize! (Not dissing you BTW - this is intended for those who can't seem to figure out that the "repercussions" of this signing are nil).
Can I still get the prize?

Old
07-16-2012, 04:38 PM
joestevens29

Honestly we sign Peckham people complain. We don't sign him then there is a thread about how we let Matt Greene Jr. go too early.

Old
07-16-2012, 04:59 PM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Quote:

No, it was never like that IIRC. One-way or two-way deals did not affect waiver eligibility at all in the old CBA either.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 05:05 PM
T-Funk

complaining about signing a depth defenceman to 1mil/1yr

WOW

how much cap space do we have?
and how many injuries do we sustain yearly?

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 05:06 PM
Pennertration

Quote:
Can I still get the prize?
Sure ... the prize is ... actually, I was going to make a smart*** remark but the truth is I'm getting rid of a lot of my old sports cards (from the 80s and 90s), so if you have any favourite Oilers/athletes from those decades, let me know. I'll mail them to you if you PM me. Only caveat is that I'm not ditching my Gretz, Messier, Coffey, Kurri, Fuhr cards - everyone else is fair game (including baseball, football, basketball).

Pennertration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 05:08 PM
alanschu

Quote:
He signed his qualifying offer. The other option management could have made would have been to no qualify him at all, making Peckham an unrestricted free agent.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 05:21 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Someone always knows better

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 05:25 PM
nabob
Nuuuuuuuuuuge!!

Not sure how anyone can be negative about this signing. The same people who are crapping all over him for having a poor year while battling injuries are the same people who have been making injury excuses for Hemsky and Gagner all off season. Peckham had a very bad concussion and it is very hard for a player whos biggest contribution to play through that.

He was great on the PK last season and will probably see that as his most important role on the team next season.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 05:30 PM
TopCookie

Not too bad of a signing. Reinstills size and toughness to the backend. Not an overpayment as he can be penciled in as a 7/8 d

TopCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 05:52 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
I don't necessarily agree. I thought one of his problems last year was going out of his way to play physically and putting himself out of position as a result. He needs to get better at thinking the game, reading the play and not force the rough stuff.
Good luck with that. Not sure how to put this politely.

Peckham doesn't think the game all that well. This was disguised on a team thats been simply horrible and where we lost by multiple goals/game anywhere. Its notable that last year, when the team actually improved somewhat, and was in a lot more close games, that Peckham became so much more of a liability out there.

When W/L didn't matter it was at least a little fun seeing Peckham running around for hits, Ronnie Low hockey. But on a club you expect anything out of I'd just say no..

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote