HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers re-sign Peckham (1year/$1.075M)

Old
07-16-2012, 05:53 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

vCash: 500
Good signing. He was so bad last season, but let's just hope he bounces back.

It's only a 1 mill cap hit. Can't believe all the crying here. You should be used to it. Horcoff is still getting paid 5.5 per year.

Jepprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 05:58 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Honestly we sign Peckham people complain. We don't sign him then there is a thread about how we let Matt Greene Jr. go too early.
lol Matt Greene is a much better D than Peckham.

Vandermeer is twice as good a D as Peckham and we just let him walk. So we could squeeze duds like Barker in the lineup.

Peckham I could care less if he was gone.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 06:01 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

Vandermeer is twice as good a D as Peckham and we just let him walk. So we could squeeze duds like Barker in the lineup.

The Peckham of two years ago was a player worth keeping around. Getting TKO'd was a major set back but I'm fine with giving him a chance to bounce back.

...and Vandermeer was not twice the Dman Peckham was in 2010-11. Vandermeer was borderline useless until the final 20-30 games of the season. Peckham was everything we thought we were getting with Vandermeer that season.

Almost this entire video is made up of clips from 2010-11. Making appearances in the video are Havlat, E. Johnson, Duchene, Pat Kane, Cooke and Claude Lemiuex...Ben Eager could learn something from Peckham.

Last edited by Wheatking: 07-16-2012 at 06:06 PM.
Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 06:10 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
He signed his qualifying offer. The other option management could have made would have been to no qualify him at all, making Peckham an unrestricted free agent.
If we had any sort of blueline depth, he wouldn't have been qualified.

I think most people here would agree that the guy has a ten cent head.

If management doesn't bring in the top-4 vet they promised to pursue, then that failure lies on them. This QO is essentially paying for the sins of the past. Play a guy above his position, then pay the guy above his position, then qualify him above his position.

Same ol' song and dance, my friend.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 06:12 PM
Wheatking

Seeing Smid this season is part of the season why I have time for Peckham next season. Sometimes it takes a year to find your game after an injury.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 06:16 PM
Pennertration

Quote:

He is now ... Matt Greene also went through some ups and downs as a young D-man. To think that Peckham could one day be as good as Matt Greene is not outlandish. Might not happen, but with seasoning, it could.

And your Vandermeer comment is ridiculous. I like Vandermeer but he was downright awful at times ... he didn't necessarily think the game well either.

Pennertration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 06:18 PM
Pennertration

Quote:
Good luck with that. Not sure how to put this politely.

Peckham doesn't think the game all that well. This was disguised on a team thats been simply horrible and where we lost by multiple goals/game anywhere. Its notable that last year, when the team actually improved somewhat, and was in a lot more close games, that Peckham became so much more of a liability out there.

When W/L didn't matter it was at least a little fun seeing Peckham running around for hits, Ronnie Low hockey. But on a club you expect anything out of I'd just say no..
You keep saying this, but most posters here acknowledge that Pecks had a terrible year last year. It wasn't disguised at all.

Pennertration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 06:20 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

That Stoner beating was beautiful..

Putting flurries on Brian Boyle (one of the biggest players in the league) is also a treat. lol.

Jepprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 06:24 PM
czar99

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
I agree. He has potential, why not see if he can realize it?

The Oilers biggest problem over the last 4 or 5 years has been their lack of depth. Injuries hit and they haven't had anyone even remotely reliable to plug in. Peckham is that kind of guy, someone who can step in as a 6th d-man to soak up a few minutes while everyone else slides up the chart if a guy like Whitney goes down.

He also had a pretty good year 2 years ago, so why are people upset at Tambi for giving him a chance to get back on that track? Wouldn't it be a bit irresponsible of him to not give Peckham a second chance after last season? All you guys complaining about this signing would be twice as mad if Tambillini let him walk and then he signed in Calgary and had a great season.
This has been the problem in Edmonton since prongergate.

I think a lot of young guys on the oilers were stunted in there growth because we were forced too play them way to early in there careers.

Eberle was the only kid that was developed properly IMO. Hall and RNH where rushed buy a year I think Peckham was rushed, Petry maybe not. PRV yes........sorry a little OT.

czar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 06:28 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennertration View Post
You keep saying this, but most posters here acknowledge that Pecks had a terrible year last year. It wasn't disguised at all.
I think you misread me. What I'm saying is that Peckham wasn't all that good ANY of his years here. He just maybe looked better in comparison to a team that was horrible and disguised a lot of his warts.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 06:37 PM
Kayen
Yakityyakyakyak

Quote:
I think you misread me. What I'm saying is that Peckham wasn't all that good ANY of his years here. He just maybe looked better in comparison to a team that was horrible and disguised a lot of his warts.
"Hate-mode...ACTIVATE" .
His play first season was decent actually. His positioning did leave a bit to be desired. However on a team that's so lacking in physical presence this is where Teddy shines through on this team.

Kayen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 07:28 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayen View Post
"Hate-mode...ACTIVATE" .
His play first season was decent actually. His positioning did leave a bit to be desired. However on a team that's so lacking in physical presence this is where Teddy shines through on this team.
He's only shining because fans like you are polishing him up too much.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 07:30 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

I am happy to have him back and give him another chance. Sometimes injuries take time to recover from and if I am willing to give Hemsky another shot, I should be fine with giving Peckham that chance too.

That being said, he was flat out too slow last season. I am hoping he cuts down a bit, maybe to 220-225, and sees how he can play at that weight. If he can increase his mobility so he isn't just a pylon out there, he could still turn into a regular NHLer. I really liked his physicality in his younger years, when he could actually catch players. But last season, it seemed like he'd take a step towards closing the gap on a rushing forward, and they'd be past him before he got to step two. If he looks like that again, he isn't going to play for long in this league.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 08:41 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
The Peckham of two years ago was a player worth keeping around. Getting TKO'd was a major set back but I'm fine with giving him a chance to bounce back.
Great video, I hope he can return to his 2010/2011 form. You're right, ever since he got knocked out by Horton he hasn't been as aggressive. I hope he can bring that edge back this season because there's a spot for him on the team right now as a #6/7 defenseman. Potter won't be on this team next year, Schultz took his job so there's room for Peckham to rotate games with Sutton with the way the d stands right now.

1 year, 1 mil. I don't mind it at all.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 08:56 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

I gotta agree with Replacement. I think Vandermeer is a better player than Peckham as well.

The only thing Peckham is useful at is killing 5 on 3's. He needs to lose a little bit of weight and get faster if he wants to remain in the NHL.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 09:36 PM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Honestly we sign Peckham people complain. We don't sign him then there is a thread about how we let Matt Greene Jr. go too early.
Sign Teddy, "Poor asset management letting this guy stay!" Don't sign Teddy, "Poor asset management letting him walk for nothing!" Another day, another dollar on HF Oil.

Puritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 09:54 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Good luck with that. Not sure how to put this politely.

Peckham doesn't think the game all that well. This was disguised on a team thats been simply horrible and where we lost by multiple goals/game anywhere. Its notable that last year, when the team actually improved somewhat, and was in a lot more close games, that Peckham became so much more of a liability out there.

When W/L didn't matter it was at least a little fun seeing Peckham running around for hits, Ronnie Low hockey. But on a club you expect anything out of I'd just say no..
You don't have to be a Mensa member to play the kind of game you need from a guy like Peckham. Indeed, the game he needs to play is as simple as it gets.
t
And I don't by this idea that he was exposed because the 29th place team was so much beter than the 30th place one a year before. Christ, Cam Barker was on that team: Teddy should have looked like Bobby Orr in comparison.

At the end of the day, all this signing amounts to is one guy getting paid someone else's money to show he can play a small role on a team that's trying to achieve the lofty heights of 28th, 27th or-dare we dream?-25th place. There's bigger fish to fry than this.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:05 PM
HuMz

vCash: 50
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...peckham&page=2

A year ago Peckham signed the same contract and it was a great deal. He was a good bottom pairing defenseman and most thought he could be more.

At 24 he has a injury filled season and all of a sudden hes barely a NHL defenseman and this is a bad contract?

For a guy who sticks up for his teammates and can be a complete force on the backend, I'd say it would be extremely pathetic that people would be willing to give up on him already.

HuMz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:36 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermullet View Post
If we had any sort of blueline depth, he wouldn't have been qualified.
Not so sure that's accurate. Setting aside subjective opinions on his value to the club right now, he is still an asset that the club has invested some time in. One more year for a twenty four year old d-man is reasonable given what Peckham has shown in the past.

Quote:
I think most people here would agree that the guy has a ten cent head.
I don't think he has a ten cent head ... and besides he doesn't need to be a genius to do his job.

I agree with Wheatking (I've also heard BBO say it) that Peckham lost his mojo when he got beatdown by Horton. Prior to that I think he was effective as a physical force because he was nasty and mouthy and not afraid to back it up. Beyond the concussion and all the physical symptoms I think he lost his edge after the fight with Horton. Sure hope he can get it back because I had higher hopes for this player.

Quote:
If management doesn't bring in the top-4 vet they promised to pursue, then that failure lies on them. This QO is essentially paying for the sins of the past. Play a guy above his position, then pay the guy above his position, then qualify him above his position.
This bit you nailed
Except I don't think it applies to Peckham because its hard to say that he isn't worth what amounts to league minimum plus the increase required by the QO process.

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:55 PM
dobiezeke*

Peckham has to light it up in training camp/preseason...if not he will be sharing a row with MPV on the flight to OKC.

dobiezeke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 11:35 PM
AK Dandyman

If it's true that Peckham lost his ways after getting knocked out by Horton, then this is a win win contract for both sides.

The player gets a chance to come back to find his way and to fight through this physical and psychological blow.

The team did not ditch a player who was brave enough to stand up for teammates and fought opponents. It's like saying if this year doesn't work out, at least we've given you the time to try and a million bucks.

AK Dandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 11:57 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
I don't get the hate. If he can lose some fat (preferably add muscle) and work on his mobility, he can be just fine next year. I really hope someone beaks him off in preseason and he kicks the crap out of the guy. He needs to play with a bit of controlled crazy and have that bad ass "nobody can touch me" attitude

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 12:23 AM
Section337
HFBoards Sponsor

I would be happy if he could become a 13-15 minute 5 or 6 d-man, but his hands and puck control ability really hurt him. With that said, last year was likely the first year as part of his development that he regressed; therefore, you have to give him another year to see if he has plateaued or if injuries and his expectations were partly to blame.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 12:33 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Apparently Pecks has been working out with a boxer to get past his head injury.

Based on comments he made on the radio and to some of our wonderful local media, it sounds like he gets it. He knows what he has to do to make the team. He's only 24, I'm willing to give him at the very least another year to see if he really does get it.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 02:05 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
I am okay with this signing. I think Peckham deserves a chance to bounce back. He has been a terrible dman since getting his lunch handed to him (can't remember who did the serving).

Hopefully he finds his will and confidence this season.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote