HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers re-sign Peckham (1year/$1.075M)

Old
07-17-2012, 03:34 AM
Baggers

vCash: 500
I have no problem with Peckham being re-signed, my problem is that the Oilers' blueline still sucks.

I get that the UFAs were asking too much money, but still... I think this team gets lit up more than a few times this season.

Baggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 03:38 AM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

IMO Peckham's hurdle is definitely mental, after getting KO'd by Horton he hasn't been the same player since. If we are getting the Theo Peckham of his rookie AHL and NHL seasons, then we got a helluva deal. A guy that battles, stands up for his teammates, a guy that hits hard, and a guy that gives opponents the business along the boards and in front of the net.

If he continues to not play the way that I've described above, then his NHL career is in serious jeopardy. This team needs toughness that can play, Peckham can be that player as long as he can get over the mental block and possibly the post concussion symptoms that tamed a lion of a player. I for one will be cheering the kid on and hoping that he can get the eye of the tiger back.

07-17-2012, 11:42 AM
CardMonkey83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
complaining about signing a depth defenceman to 1mil/1yr

WOW

how much cap space do we have?
and how many injuries do we sustain yearly?
He isn't worth 1K, let alone 1M
I wouldn't hire him to clean the ice

CardMonkey83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 11:52 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
No, it was never like that IIRC. One-way or two-way deals did not affect waiver eligibility at all in the old CBA either.
Sure it did.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 01:59 PM
Pennertration

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardMonkey83 View Post
Well, you can't argue with that ... you really can't.

Just trolling or do you really feel that way?

One more thought on Peckham: A lot of people here were ticked with how Souray was treated, so now we get a tough as nails D-man who has nothing but loyal to the team and his teammates and some here want to just cast him aside, after years of development. Come on.

Pennertration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 02:15 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennertration View Post
Well, you can't argue with that ... you really can't.

Just trolling or do you really feel that way?

One more thought on Peckham: A lot of people here were ticked with how Souray was treated, so now we get a tough as nails D-man who has nothing but loyal to the team and his teammates and some here want to just cast him aside, after years of development. Come on.
The Souray issue would be one of the strongest indictments on this contract. That a team that felt they didn't require Sourays services, that he was too much of a distraction, and a liability, and apparently not good enough to play here recruited Cam Barker last season and is pencilling in Peckham for this season.

We had a lot better available and a guy that actually contribute offensively as well as physically and is in every way a better hockey player than Peckham. But I remember Tambo getting rid of him.

Presumably Peckham is a positive little foot soldier here that sees and speaks no evil. Which is why he's still here. Certainly not for his abilities on the ice.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 02:27 PM
Pennertration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
The Souray issue would be one of the strongest indictments on this contract. That a team that felt they didn't require Sourays services, that he was too much of a distraction, and a liability, and apparently not good enough to play here recruited Cam Barker last season and is pencilling in Peckham for this season.

We had a lot better available and a guy that actually contribute offensively as well as physically and is in every way a better hockey player than Peckham. But I remember Tambo getting rid of him.

Presumably Peckham is a positive little foot soldier here that sees and speaks no evil. Which is why he's still here. Certainly not for his abilities on the ice.
Well, you always have to factor in the complete package ... not just what happens on the ice (although that is generally the biggest consideration). Souray was an outcast because of his outspoken, libelous and contemptible comments toward the team. The organization drew a line in the sand and stuck to it. I don't have a problem with that, despite the repercussions. And his absence certainly made the defence worse - on the ice. In the room, that's debatable.

My point was that Peckham has been a good foot soldier and that should be worth something - however much it should be worth is up for debate, but he certainly has some excellent character traits.

Old
07-17-2012, 02:34 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Well, you always have to factor in the complete package ... not just what happens on the ice (although that is generally the biggest consideration). Souray was an outcast because of his outspoken, libelous and contemptible comments toward the team. The organization drew a line in the sand and stuck to it. I don't have a problem with that, despite the repercussions. And his absence certainly made the defence worse - on the ice. In the room, that's debatable.

My point was that Peckham has been a good foot soldier and that should be worth something - however much it should be worth is up for debate, but he certainly has some excellent character traits.
I don't necessarily equate "good foot soldier" with "character traits". If anything I admired Sourays honesty, conviction, and courage, about this orgs putrid management style.

its always been odd that Sourays main contention was about the Oilers medical staff, which they promptly fired after giving Souray his walking papers.

Guess it would've been hard for Tamblowe to say. "You know what Sheldon, you're absolutely right, heres what we're going to do".

Just for added kicks its funny that K Lowe referred to his old owner as a "cheapskate" repeatedly. By Lowes own sense of revulsion and loyalty he would end up summarily firing himself for past comments made...

Old
07-17-2012, 02:35 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Sure it did.
Nah, don't think it did.

You could sign somebody to a one-way deal and if they weren't eligible for waivers you could still send them down. Waivers always had to do with age and games played/days spent on roster.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 02:44 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Nah, don't think it did.

You could sign somebody to a one-way deal and if they weren't eligible for waivers you could still send them down. Waivers always had to do with age and games played/days spent on roster.
Well I don't have any back up, but do you? I know that there was confusion and all the sites post lockout made a note that one-way and two-way no longer had anything to do with waivers. Why would they do that?

Old
07-17-2012, 02:53 PM
Pennertration

Quote:
I don't necessarily equate "good foot soldier" with "character traits". If anything I admired Sourays honesty, conviction, and courage, about this orgs putrid management style.

its always been odd that Sourays main contention was about the Oilers medical staff, which they promptly fired after giving Souray his walking papers.

Guess it would've been hard for Tamblowe to say. "You know what Sheldon, you're absolutely right, heres what we're going to do".

Just for added kicks its funny that K Lowe referred to his old owner as a "cheapskate" repeatedly. By Lowes own sense of revulsion and loyalty he would end up summarily firing himself for past comments made...
I'm not going to turn this into a rehashed Souray thread - let's just say we disagree on how his exit was handled, but I don't think it's a stretch to say that Souray was, at least in part, the author of his own demise. Perhaps the team made mistakes or perhaps the bigger picture was more important - neither of us will ever know for sure.

In any event, I really don't think Souray's absence has all that much to do with Peckham.

My point was that giving Peckham a contract was the proper thing to do IMO, given the time invested in him, his history with the club and his general loyalty to the Oilers and his teammates. He seems to have a good attitude.

Old
07-17-2012, 03:02 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
I'm not going to turn this into a rehashed Souray thread - let's just say we disagree on how his exit was handled, but I don't think it's a stretch to say that Souray was, at least in part, the author of his own demise. Perhaps the team made mistakes or perhaps the bigger picture was more important - neither of us will ever know for sure.

In any event, I really don't think Souray's absence has all that much to do with Peckham.

My point was that giving Peckham a contract was the proper thing to do IMO, given the time invested in him, his history with the club and his general loyalty to the Oilers and his teammates. He seems to have a good attitude.
I have a good attitude, or I could for a million plus bucks. You do too. Should we get a million on the basis of a good attitude and being good little food soldiers?

I actually want to see LESS of that here and a leadership of players that are CANDID about their needs and wants for success. Like the legendary club that once was.

Real leadership leading to excellence occurs throughout the org and involving players in that. Its not topdown. Its not, thank you sir, can I have another.

Ideal management involves an awareness that the manager positions only reason for being is furthering subordinate, and ultimately org success. Its not a king of the castle game like its played out in this org.

Old
07-17-2012, 03:35 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardMonkey83 View Post
Wow...I'm glad that you're not management in any way, shape or form - no offense!. Do you know what the NHL minimum salary is BTW? Teddy will get better IMO. How many people gave up on Smid early in his career, and look at him now. The kids only been in the league for two seasons and had an injury to deal with. Let's give him a chance at least....oh say for one year?

This doesn't hurt us at all.

Last edited by Booya42: 07-17-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Booya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 08:55 PM
Pennertration

Quote:
I have a good attitude, or I could for a million plus bucks. You do too. Should we get a million on the basis of a good attitude and being good little food soldiers?

I actually want to see LESS of that here and a leadership of players that are CANDID about their needs and wants for success. Like the legendary club that once was.

Real leadership leading to excellence occurs throughout the org and involving players in that. Its not topdown. Its not, thank you sir, can I have another.

Ideal management involves an awareness that the manager positions only reason for being is furthering subordinate, and ultimately org success. Its not a king of the castle game like its played out in this org.
It's a fine line between ****ing and moaning whiners and "candid" leadership. I'm not sure that either of us knows which category Souray fell into. Also not sure that the Oilers team structure is "topdown" as you suggest.

But I do know that I am good little food soldier

Old
07-17-2012, 09:15 PM
robbiezyg

Great signing! sounded like he is headed in the right direction with his interview on the radio!

robbiezyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 09:27 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Nah, don't think it did.

A two-way contract just allows the team to pay an "ahl" salary if you will.
X amount for NHL time, Y amount for AHL time.

Waiver eligibility is like you said - a factor of age and NHL games played.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 10:13 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiezyg View Post
Great signing! sounded like he is headed in the right direction with his interview on the radio!
I'll wait till he starts playing hockey. I could care less how anybody sounds on the radio, even Howard Stern.

Old
07-18-2012, 01:05 AM
Eytinge

I've always been a fan of Theo, but last year he was terrible. It seems ever since his fight with Horton his game has slipped. But I don't mind giving him another chance on a short term low money deal.

If he can be a shot blocking, physical player that plays within his limits, he's a fine #6. He's also a beast on the penalty kill, specifically the 5 on 3.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 09:24 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
A two-way contract just allows the team to pay an "ahl" salary if you will.
X amount for NHL time, Y amount for AHL time.

Waiver eligibility is like you said - a factor of age and NHL games played.
I was talking pre-CBA, not now.

Old
07-18-2012, 10:21 AM
alanschu

I was of the impression that players on two-way contracts prior to this CBA were waiver ineligible as well.

Hard to find information.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 10:29 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:

Not really sure what any of this has to do with Theo Peckham or his contract.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 10:29 AM
DerpMorg
I **3 Maggie

His video interview was interesting. You can tell that when the topic of last season was brought up that he knew he was piss poor and it felt like he was embarrassed about it. His recognition that he no longer has a guaranteed spot in the bottom 2 pairing in the D is good to see.

Hopefully he can back up his comments on the ice come training camp.

DerpMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 10:36 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Not really sure what any of this has to do with Theo Peckham or his contract.
It has a lot to do with why the Oilers would like this player and identify as somebody who should stay. Somebody entirely non threatening with little talent that realizes he's lucky to be here. The Oilers tend to like those players but seem to miss out that the attitude of somebody who isn't bringing much to the table isn't bringing much to the ice.

I thought we learned this with Strudwick. I could care less if we have nice players that always nod their head and say yes. I suggest its the only reason Peckham remains.

Old
07-18-2012, 10:38 AM
DerpMorg
I **3 Maggie

Except Strudwick was 33 and winding his career down when he came here. Peckham is 24 and hopefully realizes this upcoming season determines if his hockey career continues at an NHL level.

Comparing Strudwick and Peckham? Really? Keep things in perspective please.

DerpMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 10:41 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
It has a lot to do with why the Oilers would like this player and identify as somebody who should stay. Somebody entirely non threatening with little talent that realizes he's lucky to be here. The Oilers tend to like those players but seem to miss out that the attitude of somebody who isn't bringing much to the table isn't bringing much to the ice.

I thought we learned this with Strudwick. I could care less if we have nice players that always nod their head and say yes. I suggest its the only reason Peckham remains.
I'm not sure how much first hand knowledge you are bringing to the table on this, but I'll play along.

I don't see the big deal. Every army needs its foot soldiers.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote