HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Davis Payne

Old
07-26-2012, 05:10 PM
losingsand

vCash: 500
Davis Payne

Hey guys,
MY los angeles kings just hired DAVIS PAYNE as our assistant coach, just wondering what any of you know about the guy. Philosophy / style of coaching / etc.
The kings really need help with the power play, was wondering how the PP faired under Davis when he was your coach.

Thanks a bunch, good luck to you guys this season, you guys have a nice team.

losingsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 05:17 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
He is a younger guy and is more of a player's coach. His philosophy and style definitely leans more offensive, but at the same time, I wouldn't consider him a great offensive architect. I think he has a lot of potential, he was just overwhelmed with becoming a NHL head coach so fast.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 07:19 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
He's won everywhere he's been, with the questionable exception of St Louis. I really think it was more a matter of Armstrong REALLY wanting to hire Hitchcock than of Payne being a failure. Payne was still growing in his role, had done some good things, and I think he'll be a great NHL assistant coach. I'll be surprised if he's never a head coach in the league again by the end of his career. He's still a pretty young guy. Good hire for LA.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 08:58 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

vCash: 500
IMO He probably should have never been given the head coaching position. Hindsight is 20/20 and going young at HC was the trend after PIT won the Cup, but he was just far too inexperienced for the job. But supposedly he has a great head for the game, he just was over his head in trying to manage professional athletes. Blues thought highly enough to keep him around as a pro scout, seems like assistant coach is the best position for him unless he strongly prefers the AHL.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 09:38 AM
SirPaste

vCash: 50
Good hire for LA, I always liked Payne, like another poster said, it wasnt that he was a bad coach its just that we had the opportunity to bring in Hitch and it did wonders for us. And to answer your question our PP was awful when he was coach but I think that was more due to Perron, McDonald, and Oshie all missing significant time that season. And Im pretty sure Bennett or Shaw ran the PP anyway.

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote