HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Is feaster done?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-16-2012, 12:34 PM
  #1
Flamesarmstrong22
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,317
vCash: 500
Is feaster done?

If you look at our lineup right now something tells me feaster is done for the off season.

Tanguay,cammy,iginla
Glencross,cervenka,hudler
Bartchi,backlund,stempniak
Comeau,stajan,jackman
Bouma,jones,Aliu

Looking at our forward group I really don't see any changes coming except maybe trading stajan. We just brought in cervenka and hudler so they wont be moved. Just resigned stempniak and comeau so they won't be moved. We won't be moving any of the big names, iggy,tanguay,Glencross and Cammalerri. Which leaves Bartchi backlund and jackman. Bartchi and backlund won't be moved and jackman too just signed a extension.

Now if you look at our D:

Butler,bouwmeester
Gio,wideman
Brodie,sarich
Smith,babchuk

First off gio won't be moved. Wideman was just brought in so he won't be moved. Sarich was re signed he won't be moved. Logic states that we will not/should not move Brodie. There is a lot of bouwmeester rumors going around but unless we bring in another minute eating d-man through free agency like rosival or to a lesser extent coliacovo or bring one in through trade which seems unlikely than I really don't see bouwmeester being moved. Than there's butler who if I was feaster I'd move down from the 1st pairing or trade, but feaster stated earlier after the wideman signing he named butler one of our best D, and he is young so I doubt he gets moved.

So really the only moves I can see feaster making is trading babchuk and stajan in cap dump trades.

Flamesarmstrong22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 12:42 PM
  #2
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,610
vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesarmstrong22 View Post
If you look at our lineup right now something tells me feaster is done for the off season.

Tanguay,cammy,iginla
Glencross,cervenka,hudler
Bartchi,backlund,stempniak
Comeau,stajan,jackman
Bouma,jones,Aliu

Looking at our forward group I really don't see any changes coming except maybe trading stajan. We just brought in cervenka and hudler so they wont be moved. Just resigned stempniak and comeau so they won't be moved. We won't be moving any of the big names, iggy,tanguay,Glencross and Cammalerri. Which leaves Bartchi backlund and jackman. Bartchi and backlund won't be moved and jackman too just signed a extension.

Now if you look at our D:

Butler,bouwmeester
Gio,wideman
Brodie,sarich
Smith,babchuk

First off gio won't be moved. Wideman was just brought in so he won't be moved. Sarich was re signed he won't be moved. Logic states that we will not/should not move Brodie. There is a lot of bouwmeester rumors going around but unless we bring in another minute eating d-man through free agency like rosival or to a lesser extent coliacovo or bring one in through trade which seems unlikely than I really don't see bouwmeester being moved. Than there's butler who if I was feaster I'd move down from the 1st pairing or trade, but feaster stated earlier after the wideman signing he named butler one of our best D, and he is young so I doubt he gets moved.

So really the only moves I can see feaster making is trading babchuk and stajan in cap dump trades.
Calm before the storm? Who knows, I still see lots of avenues for activity.

Trading:

Babchuk (Dump)
Stajan (Dump)
Bouwmeester (Due to teams that are interested, maybe he gets a package he really likes)
Karlsson (Don't really need him anymore if we lock up Irving)
Top 6 Center (We don't really have a proven top 6 center, so I wouldn't rule out him going after one.)

As far as FA's I think he is done though.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 01:25 PM
  #3
flameaholic
FOREVER a Flame!
 
flameaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesarmstrong22 View Post
Tanguay,cammy,iginla
Glencross,cervenka,hudler
Bartchi,backlund,stempniak
Comeau,stajan,jackman
Bouma,jones,Aliu

Butler,bouwmeester
Gio,wideman
Brodie,sarich
Smith,babchuk
Am I the only one that thinks this is the most depth we've had since '04?

flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 01:30 PM
  #4
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,610
vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by flameaholic View Post
Am I the only one that thinks this is the most depth we've had since '04?
On the wings? Absolutely.

Center? Not at all.

Defence? Its not bad, not great though.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 01:36 PM
  #5
SmellOfVictory
Registered User
 
SmellOfVictory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,274
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
On the wings? Absolutely.

Center? Not at all.

Defence? Its not bad, not great though.
This team hasn't really been deep at centre in ages, though. Granted, this season has the potential to be worse than other seasons (too much dependence on unknowns); however, if Cervenka does work out, and Backlund does break out, the centre depth could look quite solid in comparison to past seasons.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 01:48 PM
  #6
MVW
Moderator
 
MVW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,983
vCash: 50
I don't think Feaster is done, I think one significant trade will need to be made or possibly 2 or even 3 minor ones.

Potential trade bait includes: Bouwmeester, Backlund, Stajan and Babchuk.

The most logical trades would be to have Stajan and Babchuk moved as cap dumps. If Hudler wasn't just signed, I could see more of a spot for Stajan, but now Hudler is our 2nd line RW which means Cammy will likely be our #1C next season. We have Iggy, Tangs, Hudler and Glencross as top 4 wingers. We have a greater need for a top line centre and since Cammy has shown he can slot in there, I expect him to fill that position.

The only question to me is, WHEN will a move be made? Will it be this summer or after training camp? Perhaps Feaster holds onto Stajan until he sees that Cervenka is indeed the real deal. If Cervenka does well in camp with Hudler and shows he can transition his game to the NHL, then we do not need Stajan so maybe he will be moved then. Or maybe he gets moved to a team before the season starts that needs to reach the cap floor. Alot of this will depend on if the CBA gets resolved before the season starts.

if Cervenka earns a top 4 spot, Stajan would then slot down to the 3rd or 4th lines where he has shown in the past that he is ineffective there. Backlund is not as good at FO's as Stajan, but he has shown he is a more creative player, he is younger, and has a much less cap hit. Feaster likes Jones alot so I feel the 4th is his.

Bouwmeester is a slightly different story. We need a top 4 dman so moving him isn't as big of a need. He is however overpaid, so I think if Feaster could get a deal that would return a less expensive, young dman that has top 4 or possibly top 2 potential (ie. Blum or Josi) then maybe he makes that trade to shed cap space.

There is no room for Babchuk whatsoever, so I expect him to be moved no matter what.

Backlund is a wild card here. I think if Feaster could find a deal where he can upgrade at centre for the top line using Backlund and Bouwmeester, then I think he may do that deal as well depending on who the return is (ie. Statsny, Pavelski, Zajac).

So to sum up quickly, no I don't think he is done making moves.

MVW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 01:56 PM
  #7
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone
 
CGYPUKSUX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hockey Purgatory
Posts: 1,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flameaholic View Post
Am I the only one that thinks this is the most depth we've had since '04?
We are developing a lot of depth. What's on the current roster is a little sketchy, but what is in the pipeline is looking pretty good. I think we're a top right wing and right handed defenseman away from having a pretty good team in three or four years. We're great on the left side, both forward and defense, good in goal, have a very decent group of centers, if they all develop as expected, but are thin on the starboard side. I expect Feaster to address that need with a couple moves this season, maybe even this summer.

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 04:03 PM
  #8
Stewie Griffin
Moderator
Bruinswagoner #4762
 
Stewie Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 6,472
vCash: 50
Big Jay sez "we are always looking to improve our on ice product".

So no. Not done.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 04:06 PM
  #9
Xelstyle
Registered User
 
Xelstyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chair and a Desk
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,530
vCash: 500
Silly thing to say really. I'd imagine a GM is never really done. Even if there's a period of no activity between managers, surely at somepoint there will be some moves that need to be made as a precaution.



But at the very least, yeah I don't see him signing anymore FAs.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 07:31 PM
  #10
MarkGio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,748
vCash: 67
If Feaster could find a way to sign Coliacovo and trade Babchuck, I would be a very happy camper. I think Stajan stays at least until we showcase him a little bit during training camp. But by all accounts, he's on the trade block.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 07:33 PM
  #11
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,569
vCash: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
If Feaster could find a way to sign Coliacovo and trade Babchuck, I would be a very happy camper. I think Stajan stays at least until we showcase him a little bit during training camp. But by all accounts, he's on the trade block.
Where would Coliacovo play?

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 07:46 PM
  #12
MarkGio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,748
vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Where would Coliacovo play?
Top 4 for sure. And then pair Butler with Brodie, while Sarich is the 7th.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 08:47 PM
  #13
calgaryflames1212
Registered User
 
calgaryflames1212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 62
vCash: 500
the biggest improvement for calgary was behind the bench..
bob hartley will bring the flames back to the playoffs!

calgaryflames1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 09:18 PM
  #14
Flamesarmstrong22
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,317
vCash: 500
I had the same idea about coliacovo. He played top pairing minutes in st.louis with pietrangelo and could do the same here with bouwmeester. However I don't see it happening.

Flamesarmstrong22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 09:32 PM
  #15
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,569
vCash: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Top 4 for sure. And then pair Butler with Brodie, while Sarich is the 7th.
He is an offensive defenseman I don't think that pairing would work, he has also been a #5/#6 defenseman how does he get auto top 4?

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 09:58 PM
  #16
tyflames
Baertschi is God
 
tyflames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,549
vCash: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Top 4 for sure. And then pair Butler with Brodie, while Sarich is the 7th.
I'd say we need sarich in the top six, or we will have one soft blueline.

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:32 PM
  #17
Stewie Griffin
Moderator
Bruinswagoner #4762
 
Stewie Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 6,472
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Where would Coliacovo play?
Abbotsford?

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:36 PM
  #18
tmurfin
500g1000pts
 
tmurfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,163
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Abbotsford?
This.. Colo had been far from impressive as of late.. No thanks.

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:47 PM
  #19
MarkGio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,748
vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
He is an offensive defenseman I don't think that pairing would work, he has also been a #5/#6 defenseman how does he get auto top 4?
I thought he was a top 4 in St. Louis. It's not like we're playing a defensive system, so the hell with it, let's chase 300 goals this season and don't look back.

Let's have 3 players cherry picking the red line at all times

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 11:25 PM
  #20
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,569
vCash: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I thought he was a top 4 in St. Louis. It's not like we're playing a defensive system, so the hell with it, let's chase 300 goals this season and don't look back.

Let's have 3 players cherry picking the red line at all times
If we are going balls to the wall offensive keep Babs over Colo.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 03:51 PM
  #21
CzechingFlames
Registered User
 
CzechingFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 34
vCash: 500
We have improved a lot in my opinion Cervenka is not #1 he is a #2, Backlund is our #3 and we have a lot of #4/5 centers, are wings are amazing If we do not trade J-bo for a number #1 center Cammy can play there , and move tangs up to left wing, are defence will be great as well, and if we do trade J-bo we can sign Rozsival or Coliacovo for depth and It would be Wideman-Giordano, Sarich,-------, Brodie-Butler/Babchuck

CzechingFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:21 PM
  #22
tmurfin
500g1000pts
 
tmurfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,163
vCash: 50
Well Feaster said today that we are still too easy to pay against, and he is looking to fix that through trades, but the market stalled.. So expect to see atleast one more trade..

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 06:00 PM
  #23
Volica
Registered User
 
Volica's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
Well Feaster said today that we are still too easy to pay against, and he is looking to fix that through trades, but the market stalled.. So expect to see atleast one more trade..
Hmm. I understand wanting to be harder to play against... But what does that mean at the end of the day, where are we making changes?

Third line is a bit soft for a third line... But I also don't want Sven playing in a lower league or reduced minutes because we want some grinder on the third...

It's tough, because although I'm not a Bouwmeester, he has to play an important role in Calgary, yet is our major trade bait.

Feaster, please have and pull a rabbit in your hat. Please.


Last edited by Volica: 07-18-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 06:29 PM
  #24
BVicious
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,055
vCash: 50
If he wants us to be harder to play against, why did we let Kostopo go? I thought he was great when asked to play different role, or fill in for offense. He wasn't offensive but he wasnt costly either and opened the ice for the more skilled players.

I like him and would actually have preferred him over Stemps / Comoau.

In my sneaky suspicions and cuz of my un-dieing love for Feaster, I think he will continue to say that all the way to the season.... He wants his players to step up, push a little harder to fill the roles still available to the team. Makes more sense than not actually signing Kostopo.

In fact I'm kinda shocked no one has signed him.

BVicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 03:04 PM
  #25
MVW
Moderator
 
MVW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,983
vCash: 50
Wonder what gold old Darcy Tucker is up to these days.

MVW is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.