Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-18-2012, 06:22 AM
English stars fan

vCash: 500
[#1] Voting -- HFStars 2012 Top-20 Prospects -- [#2] Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Now there is one minor flaw inherent in this new system -- it's not going to be immediately clear who's going to win each poll when you're talking about who deserves the next spot.
Figured that! Your solution makes sense, but at what stage will the poll close? When the second poll opens?

Anyways. Assuming Campbell is the number 1, it's between Oleksiak and Chiasson, and Chiasson wins due to being more NHL ready.

English stars fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 10:31 AM
txomisc

1. Oleksiak
2. Chiasson

A big RW who shows tremendous playmaking skills and great leadership qualities. I think he is a pretty safe player in that he should be a very good 3rd liner at least and is likely to be top 6 rw.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 11:30 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 20645
[#1] Voting -- HFStars 2012 Top-20 Prospects -- [#2] Discussion

Now there is one minor flaw inherent in this new system -- it's not going to be immediately clear who's going to win each poll when you're talking about who deserves the next spot. So for the sake of argument just suppose that your choice is the one who will come out on top. And if not, you'll just keep voting for that same prospect obviously.

As always the options will be listed alphabetically to reduce bias.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 11:34 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

I blame Glennie for causing the previous poll to malfunction.

Old
07-18-2012, 11:43 AM
Fly Like a C5

1. Chiasson
2. Campbell

For me Campbell is second due to Dallas' comments about him at the draft and their attention and focus on him since that time. I think he has the highest potential of any prospect in the system.

Fly Like a C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 11:47 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by English stars fan View Post
Figured that! Your solution makes sense, but at what stage will the poll close? When the second poll opens?
It's set to expire in 2 days, but if a clear winner emerges before then I'll close it manually and move on to the next poll.

Oh, and I forgot to mention this, but any votes by people I don't recognize will be disregarded, so don't bother. If you're a Stars fan who's just new to the board, post in here and introduce yourself and your vote will count.

Old
07-18-2012, 11:50 AM
Primetimey

vCash: 50
I switched my vote from what I said I would in the discussion (Chiasson) to Campbell.

I will go with Chiasson at #2

Primetimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 11:56 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

You know just looking at the options I'm struck by how all of those guys are on the "upswing" so to speak. They all have their futures in front of them and we're excited about what they can do. There's no one there who's stagnated or slid backwards in their development.

Old
07-18-2012, 12:13 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Went with Chiasson.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 12:14 PM
starsfan4ever

Until Campbell shows otherwise, have to go with him at the #1 choice.

#2, I'd say Chiasson with Oleksiak nipping right at his heels. Get a great feeling from Chiasson and think he will turn out to be a top 6 player, maybe RW with Benn and Eriksson.

starsfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 12:31 PM
Captain Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
You know just looking at the options I'm struck by how all of those guys are on the "upswing" so to speak. They all have their futures in front of them and we're excited about what they can do. There's no one there who's stagnated or slid backwards in their development.
There are guys not on this list who could theoretically turn into the best player of our current prospect pool. Stransky comes to mind. That's pretty exciting.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 12:34 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

My choice for #2 is Faksa. I believe we've got something special here. This is the most excited I've been for a Stars draft pick in, well, ever. Since I became a fan of the team anyway.

To me, Faksa has the best chance to make the biggest future impact on the team. A big, skilled, responsible center with a great work ethic? That's the kind of player NHL teams would kill for these days. His ceiling is high enough to vault him over any others who are closer in proximity to making the NHL... and it's not like Faksa is that far off either. And then his position is much more important in my mind than goalie for example. You can always pick good goalies off the scrap heap... you can't just pick up players like Faksa if he reaches his potential.

Old
07-18-2012, 12:42 PM
Starsdude

Campbell-I will buy the "franchise goalie" designation for another year and see how he does with a full year in the AHL with a decent coach

Chaisson-I am not certain he can score enough to be a top line guy but again hope he shows enough in the AHL to warrant "top prospect" designation

Olesiak-huge and can skate

Faska-If he is hanzel at worst that is pretty good

Nemeth-If he is a tougher Grossman then gimme

Dillon-I understand the argument for him higher but still think his ceiling is lower

Eakin-Still could be Petersen but I will defer to Stars scouts who obviously think more

Glennie-let's hope

Fraser-Nor convinced he cannot be a pretty good player-still young

R. Smith-Am I missing something or will he have a hard time creating chances at the NHL level

There are a bunch of guys from the last 2 drafts that have possibilities but guys like Ritchie Klingberg Bystrom seem a bit early to project.

Starsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 12:54 PM
ginblossoms

Send a message via ICQ to ginblossoms
Next for me is Chiasson (see other thread for reasons).

Oleksiak after that. With his combo of size, skating, and hands, it's easy to see a future as a top shut down defenseman with him.

ginblossoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 01:04 PM
Jere26

It's nice to see how evenly balanced the voting is so far. Just shows us how hard it is to make a choice with such a deep prospect pool people in Dallas haven't seen before.

Let's just assume we'd have drafted Eakin and looked at his numbers in the WHL that time around, we'd be talking much more about him. He will certainly go a little bit under the radar coming from another organization.

I went with Campbell as explained in the 1st thread.

Right now I'm torn whether to pick Oleksiak, Chiasson or Faksa. I like what I've read about Faksa so far, but on my personal ranking I'd like to see how he progresses throughout the following year, before I put him in front of players that have proven their skill and progress over a longer period of time. Some might question my way of doing a ranking, but I feel more comfortable at this point to give Oleksiak & Chiasson the edge over Faksa.

I probably go with Oleksiak as #2. He has the perfect size, skill, skating ability for such a tall guy. I will try to look throughout the next season whether he gets more aggressive & meaner, just to dominate his opponents in his own zone. Also, how his offensive game translates to the AHL. Furthermore I don't neccessarily see why Chiasson should overtake Oleksiak's position from last year, as both have progressed evenly well.

Jere26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 01:21 PM
BigG44
HFB Partner

I stuck with Chiasson, but I think I'm going with Campbell next over Oleksiak.

My top 3 are staying solid, but I get people putting Faksa in this group. I'm honestly disappointed Kitchener didn't get past London in the OHL playoffs. I would have liked to see Faksa in the Memorial Cup. I don't remember much about Faksa from the WJC. I'm still very excited about him. I hope the NHL Network shows more CHL games this year. I know Kitchener is popular enough to get a few games this year if they stick with it.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 01:29 PM
txomisc

did i miss a description of how you will choose the next person to add to the voting? If you are taking input I think Glennie should be added to the next round.

Old
07-18-2012, 01:52 PM
txomisc

I like that 5 guys have gotten first place votes here. Sure I'd love to have one guy who is just a total can't miss first top line player but having 4 or 5 guys who are relatively equal and have high upside is pretty damn impressive considering where this organization was before the 2009 draft. Since then they have hit on several guys who they took in later rounds and are now pretty impressive prospects and overall there are only a few guys taken who I can look through the drafts and say "id rather have had _____ who was taken after _____".

Old
07-18-2012, 02:00 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
did i miss a description of how you will choose the next person to add to the voting? If you are taking input I think Glennie should be added to the next round.
Sure, input on that is welcomed. I'll make sure all realistic options are available though -- there should never be a situation where someone can't vote for the prospect they want to. This format also gives me a sneak peek as to who people are considering for the next spot.

Old
07-18-2012, 02:10 PM
Starsdude

next tier-Glennie Fraser Ritchie vance

Starsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 02:34 PM
Ambassador Of Fun

Voted Oleksiak first. Will vote Campbell next.

Ambassador Of Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 02:53 PM
Ambassador Of Fun

What do you guys think of Guptill? Any chance of cracking the top 10? Top 15?

Ambassador Of Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 02:55 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambassador Of Fun View Post
top 10 i think is pushing it but he is definitely in my top 15

Old
07-18-2012, 02:56 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambassador Of Fun View Post
Top 15, mainly because the top 10 is ****ing stacked with good talent and we've seen very little of him. But he's producing at the college level, but he's not here yet. He'll be late, and I doubt his talent level is anywhere near the top 7 or 8.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:36 PM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Guptill had a tremendous freshman season. He'd certainly crack my top 10.

Voted Oleksiak. Chiasson is next for pretty much all of the reasons mentioned in the other thread.

hairylikebear is offline   Reply With Quote