Notices

Ondrej Pavelec DUI

Old
07-17-2012, 10:50 AM
blues10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by o0Leaf fan0o View Post
Yes, the Czechs like their beer, but you don't see people having a beer for breakfast, that's for sure. I mean they work just like we do. The only instance I've seen people have a beer in the morning was during holidays/on the weekends.

The short quote is very misleading IMO.
My brothers wife is Czech and he visits Prague all the time. He was the one who told me about this and said that I would love to visit there because of the breakfast beer. Czechs like beer for breakfast. Any comments from the Czech folks on the boards. Is my brother stringing me along?

Pavs is a huge football fan. I wonder if this had anything to do with his arrest.

Quote:
Czech Republic vs Israel

International Friendlies, Date: Saturday May 26, 2012, Time: 19:15 GMT+1
Quote:
And when do the Czechs drink? Some have a beer with hearty soup for breakfast. Beer usually accompanies everyday lunch. After work. With dinner. You name it.
http://www.czechbeer.com/czbeer.htm

blues10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 11:03 AM
Jet
More Finnz pls

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
Unforgivable is a pretty strong word. The bible tells us that forgiveness is available to even the greatest of heathens.
Not being religious, I don't really connect with the way you said it, but I do think you are right about the message.

Unforgivable might have been a little much but I do feel extremely strongly about this subject.

07-17-2012, 11:09 AM
SCP Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
Aside from the seriousness of DD, the other issue between Pavs and TNSE is whether he hid this info or not. Who cares if they knew this during negs, that's not the issue. The bigger issue is hiding something like this from your employer, period (great way to ruin relationship with them). I would like to think he didn't hide it, I mean tell TNSE your mistake, apologize and move on, but not telling them shows a flaw in character. It just sounds like Chevy didn't know about it until now but I hope Im wrong.

Agree....It was a big mistake by PAV to DD......and to keep it from TN was the icing on the cake.....puts TN in a tough spot now and makes them look kinda clueless

SCP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 11:28 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirinho View Post
here in the czech rep.

he's famous ...

he's rich ...

he's popular ...

+ as bonus - his girlfriend is czech miss 2012

I like him ... go Pavs go
He needs to ensure that this incident is not repeated, and that this does not indicate an underlying issue with drinking alcohol. Because if so, he will not last in the NHL very long. Then, he won't be famous, he won't be rich, he won't be popular, and he might not keep his girlfriend. You can still like him though.

My point is that I hope that Chevy and the Jets management take this incident very seriously, and don't just paper over the issues that need to be addressed. Most importantly, they need to ensure that Pavelec understands that this was an unacceptable incident and that it won't happen again, and that it doesn't relate to a serious issue with alcohol.

Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 11:47 AM
Turbofan
Just shoot it Toby!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues10 View Post
My brothers wife is Czech and he visits Prague all the time. He was the one who told me about this and said that I would love to visit there because of the breakfast beer. Czechs like beer for breakfast. Any comments from the Czech folks on the boards. Is my brother stringing me along?

Pavs is a huge football fan. I wonder if this had anything to do with his arrest.

http://www.czechbeer.com/czbeer.htm
Czech Republic consumes more beer per capita than any nation in the world.

http://www.ranker.com/list/highest-b...apita/brettski

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...r_capita#noteb

They double up Canada, and have a good lead on #2 on either of these charts.

Not justifying anything of course.

On a somewhat unrelated note, the US is the world leader in obesity. 30%, more than doubling up Canada. USA! USA! USA!

Turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 11:54 AM
sully1410
#VinegarStrokes

vCash: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Not being religious, I don't really connect with the way you said it, but I do think you are right about the message.

Unforgivable might have been a little much but I do feel extremely strongly about this subject.
I was trying make light of a comment that I found to be off putting. I know your comments weren't directed at me or anything so I had a bit of fun with it.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 12:06 PM
CallADocPlease

It's sad that this is what finally got me from lurking to posting here... but I feel like this type of behaviour is as close to unacceptable as you can get. This isn't a Czech (I'm sorry I had to) from behind that could give someone a concussion or end someone's career, it is a potential for killing several people and potentially yourself. I know everyone makes stupid decisions and this was one of them, but this type of behaviour from TNSE contracted players is horrible. The players need to acknowledge that not only are they professionals on the ice, but they need to be professionals off the ice.

That being said, I am not saying the players shouldn't enjoy life as was obviously what Buff was doing, but that they need to know that with their position comes attention that isn't regularly given to people and that they will be under a microscope and help up as role models. I really hope that Pavalec releases a public apology immediately, since he has been convicted and that he and TNSE start doing the right thing and make sure that nothing like this ever happens again.

CallADocPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 12:06 PM
Yukon Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas L View Post
This reminds me of Nick Hill for some reason.
Is it possible it was only 0.02? Seems a bit more plausible.
0.02 (or as the law uses, 20 mg / 100 mL) is nothing. For any back of the envelope types, one drink (ounce of alcohol / glass of wine / bottle of beer) will increase your BAC by 25. So a 200 is 8 beers worth (before you get to elimination).

Yukon Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 12:13 PM
Yukon Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
Well, I've had two 'wake up calls' regarding drunk driving.

A longtime childhood friend of mine got hit with a DUI a few years ago. We were leaving the Pal and he decided to drive his Jeep home. He smashed it into a tree, totaled his Jeep and spent the night in jail. Jeep was on lease so he had to pay for it. Couldn't drive for a year. I drove him around when needed and he carpooled to work. After lawyer fees, the Jeep and all, he said it cost about $30k. But worse was the shame and embarrassment. As a single guy, hard to explain to women that you can't pick them up because you don't have a car and you have a DUI on you.

The second wake up call, another longtime friend decided to run from a check stop after coming home from a Christmas party. Well, he wrapped his Mustang around a tree. He didn't survive. Closed casket funeral. I was a blubbering mess.

Keep an extra $20 in your pocket, and take a cab home guys. Feel free to go crazy. That's what I do. It's cheap compared to the alternate scenarios.

But you know what, admittedly it took two of these and a lot of aging to be able to do that routinely and with conviction. If I was still in my 20's, young, brash, and rich, and no wake up calls? I can't say I'd be as confident...
You know what? If some idiot drives drunk and kills himself I don't have a ton of sympathy.

The problem is - they usually don't just hurt themselves. I'm a lawyer and I've done dozens of impaireds. And all too often its either the passenger, or the innocent bystander, who gets the life-threatening injury, while the drunk isn't harmed. That's why I can't stand impaired drivers.

I did get a chuckle though out of the file I had which involved a two vehicle collision - and BOTH drivers were drunk...

Old
07-17-2012, 12:49 PM
broinwhyteridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
He needs to ensure that this incident is not repeated, and that this does not indicate an underlying issue with drinking alcohol. Because if so, he will not last in the NHL very long. Then, he won't be famous, he won't be rich, he won't be popular, and he might not keep his girlfriend. You can still like him though.
He's already rich.

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 01:06 PM
DespoticNewt

I am in agreement with the sentiment that this will need some heavy PR work by Pav to smooth over, including an official statement from his camp. I'd like to see him become a spokesperson for MADD, like someone said.

DespoticNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 03:02 PM
sully1410
#VinegarStrokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Joe View Post
You know what? If some idiot drives drunk and kills himself I don't have a ton of sympathy.

The problem is - they usually don't just hurt themselves. I'm a lawyer and I've done dozens of impaireds. And all too often its either the passenger, or the innocent bystander, who gets the life-threatening injury, while the drunk isn't harmed. That's why I can't stand impaired drivers.

I did get a chuckle though out of the file I had which involved a two vehicle collision - and BOTH drivers were drunk...
I really do not see why this was a necessary post. The guy opens up and tells you how his buddy died, and you have the audacity to turn around and say this?

However...I agree with the rest of your post.

Old
07-17-2012, 03:15 PM
Yukon Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
I really do not see why this was a necessary post. The guy opens up and tells you how his buddy died, and you have the audacity to turn around and say this?

However...I agree with the rest of your post.
Fair enough. I just wanted to comment that too often the victims are the innocent bystanders.

Old
07-17-2012, 04:09 PM
Le Golie

Statements from the Jets and from Pavelec. Damage control.

http://illegalcurve.com/2012/07/17/w...ndrej-pavelec/

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 04:14 PM
puck stoppa

Wow, the Jets had no clue and he hid it from them all along. The brass will not be impressed with that. Expect a lot of community work in the Peg with MADD etc. What a damn shame he didn't step up like a man and admit he was human and made a mistake. It's been nearly two months, this could get interesting.

puck stoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 04:14 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie View Post
Statements from the Jets and from Pavelec. Damage control.

http://illegalcurve.com/2012/07/17/w...ndrej-pavelec/
Good. Pavelec needs to be contrite. It looks like the Jets are not going to let this slide without confronting Pavelec in person about the incident and his professional comportment. They have a lot invested in Pavelec and they need to ensure that he is reliable as a professional hockey player, and that he is not a detriment to the professional culture and reputation of the Jets.

Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 04:31 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
Good. Pavelec needs to be contrite. It looks like the Jets are not going to let this slide without confronting Pavelec in person about the incident and his professional comportment. They have a lot invested in Pavelec and they need to ensure that he is reliable as a professional hockey player, and that he is not a detriment to the professional culture and reputation of the Jets.
I agree. It's just that, well, this happened to two of our players in less than two years. That is just unacceptable. I'm really hoping TNSE makes it very clear to the players that this kind of behavior will not be tolerated whatsoever, and that they won't get away with it no matter who the player thinks they are.

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 04:31 PM
Aerial

If you see fire trucks outside the MTS Centre today, don't worry, that's just the smoke spewing out of Mark Chipman's ears. Sigh. Really wish he hadn't done this on every level and at every step, from the original incident to, now, the fallout from concealing it from TNSE.

Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 04:37 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Lawless said on TSN1290 that he believes Pavelec concealed this from his agent as well.

I wonder how his agent will handle it.

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 04:39 PM
Yukon Joe

I will give some small props to Pavelec for at least manning up and pleading guilty at the first opportunity.

That being said however, he then loses those small props for not telling TNSE / his agent. I mean he had to know this was a big deal - he shares a locker room with Byfuglien.

Old
07-17-2012, 04:49 PM
sully1410
#VinegarStrokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Joe View Post
I will give some small props to Pavelec for at least manning up and pleading guilty at the first opportunity.

That being said however, he then loses those small props for not telling TNSE / his agent. I mean he had to know this was a big deal - he shares a locker room with Byfuglien.
I don't think Buff was drunk at all actually. He passed a breath test and then refused a blood test.

Anyways, that sucks that Pavs didn't tell anyone about this. Maybe because it was in Czech Rep. No one would care.

That's just dumb.

Old
07-17-2012, 04:56 PM
Gm0ney
Way down in the hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
I agree. It's just that, well, this happened to two of our players in less than two years. That is just unacceptable. I'm really hoping TNSE makes it very clear to the players that this kind of behavior will not be tolerated whatsoever, and that they won't get away with it no matter who the player thinks they are.
Byfuglien hasn't been convicted of anything. He passed a breathalyser but refused a blood test. There are all kinds of questions around what transpired there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post
Lawless said on TSN1290 that he believes Pavelec concealed this from his agent as well.

I wonder how his agent will handle it.
I think his agent has to claim he had no knowledge no matter what. If he admits he knew and didn't disclose it to the Jets (for whatever reason), it would cast a shadow over future negotiations with the Jets and other NHL clubs.

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 04:59 PM
Duir
Registered Bunk

For what it is worth, two per mille of alcohol, or 0.02 is a 24 hour suspension in Canada. Most countries in the world regard anything over 0.05 a criminal offence; here in Canada is is obviously 0.08. The Czech Republic is one of the countries with a zero tolerance policy on impaired driving. This is not downplaying, but if this exact incident were to occur in Canada his car would have been towed, issued a 24 hour suspension after breath demand, and been on his way. No criminal charges, just tow fees, impound fees, and some serious embarrassment.

Duir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 05:09 PM
Yukon Joe

I don't want to get caught up discussing Buf - my point ws only that Pavs would have seen the media storm around Buf's charge. He can't pretend that he didn't think TNSE would want to know about it.

Old
07-17-2012, 05:11 PM
Yukon Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBunk View Post
For what it is worth, two per mille of alcohol, or 0.02 is a 24 hour suspension in Canada. Most countries in the world regard anything over 0.05 a criminal offence; here in Canada is is obviously 0.08. The Czech Republic is one of the countries with a zero tolerance policy on impaired driving. This is not downplaying, but if this exact incident were to occur in Canada his car would have been towed, issued a 24 hour suspension after breath demand, and been on his way. No criminal charges, just tow fees, impound fees, and some serious embarrassment.
You're getting your conversion factors wrong.

Yes, if he blew .02 (or 20 mg / 100 mL) in Canada absolutely nothing would have happened. He'd be sent on his way.

But he blew .2 (or 200 mb / 100 mL). In Canada you would be arrrested, lose your license for 90 days administratively, and then face a minimum one year after conviction. Oh, and get your car impounded.