Ondrej Pavelec DUI

Old
07-17-2012, 05:16 PM
Duir
Registered Bunk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Joe View Post
You're getting your conversion factors wrong.

Yes, if he blew .02 (or 20 mg / 100 mL) in Canada absolutely nothing would have happened. He'd be sent on his way.

But he blew .2 (or 200 mb / 100 mL). In Canada you would be arrrested, lose your license for 90 days administratively, and then face a minimum one year after conviction. Oh, and get your car impounded.
You bet I am, just realized that. Converted with one more zero than needed. Appreciate the correction.

Duir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 05:22 PM
Aerial

ETA: Nevermind, already discussed above. Carry on!

Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 05:30 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
I agree. It's just that, well, this happened to two of our players in less than two years. That is just unacceptable. I'm really hoping TNSE makes it very clear to the players that this kind of behavior will not be tolerated whatsoever, and that they won't get away with it no matter who the player thinks they are.
I agree. I think that this is a big negative for Pavelec, and TNSE has to set standards and make sure players stick to them. As a fan and ST holder, I am very disappointed in Pavelec and how his actions have reflected poorly on the Jets and TNSE.

Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 05:36 PM
Le Golie

I want to know if his agent knew. If he did, he's a slimeball.

I have a feeling he didn't though. I can't see a reputable agent advising his client not to come forward to his employer with an issue that was certain to embarrass the organization.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 05:47 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie View Post
I want to know if his agent knew. If he did, he's a slimeball.

I have a feeling he didn't though. I can't see a reputable agent advising his client not to come forward to his employer with an issue that was certain to embarrass the organization.
Alan Walsh is a slimball regardless if he knew or not

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 05:57 PM
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

if he stays, I want some serious community service done by Pavs (MADD etc
.).

This would be great........ I would love Pavy to drive me home from the Palimino in December for operation Red Nose...... maybe he could partner up with Buff ..... or better yet he could partner up with Montyoya..... Montoya could follow behind in the 2nd vehicle and learn more of what pavy does on the ice.......

Drinking and driving is a serious matter.......1) We should just be happy no one got hurt in this instance,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,2) Hope Pavy learns his lesson (DONT DRINK AND DRIVE) ....3) Hope others learn from this ( ie players, fans, everybody).... 4) Hope TNSE discusses this privatly with Pavey, discusses their expectations, and support him moving forward in life and hockey........ ( Why? ..... because thats what family does)

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 06:15 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
46 and 1.86 ppd

Sentenced today - two months after the incident. Gotta love swift justice. We need more of that in Canada.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 06:24 PM
Tintin's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repoman View Post
Looking at it strictly from an employee / employer side of things, I had an employee that lost his license (multiple speeding tickets) and he hid it from me. When I found out out he had lost his license while doing quarterly checks I had no choice but to fire him.

On the other hand, had he come to me prior and told me there was a possibility of him losing his license for 6 months, I could have come up with a solution where he could have done a different job until he got his license back.

To me it sounds like TNSE had no clue. This puts Chevy in a serious bind. He has been preaching about quality and character and then he finds his franchise goaltender is hiding a possible jail term from you? If we hang onto this guy with just trying to sweep this under the rug, the whole culture of the team and all the talk about quality and character goes out the window.

If he stays, I want some serious community service done by Pavs (MADD etc.).
The typical employer/employee relationship does not apply with Pavs. Most jobs, the employee is relatively replaceable. In your example, you tossed an employee for losing his license. I presume you were not concerned about a small labour pool with which to replace this employee. Chevy has no such luxury to draw from.

I don't see how this a bind for Chevy. Pavs screwed up, he'll learn. Pavs is only what? 24? 25? TNSE are not the only ownership group that have to deal with this stuff. I don't know why they would take it too personally.

An athlete's fall from grace is usually more dramatic for the fans than the athlete himself and a lot of the comments in this thread show just that.

Tintin's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 08:10 PM
Hammer Slammer

vCash: 787
Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Pavelec apologizes and the Jets' statement.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...162783926.html

Excerpt:

Quote:
"I’m thankful no one was injured as a result of my actions. I want to sincerely apologize to our fans, the Winnipeg Jets organization, and to my teammates for any embarrassment this has caused. I’m truly sorry for letting you all down."

07-17-2012, 09:37 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Just be patient!

Never had thought about following Allan Walsh on twitter, although I've heard he is quite vocal. Curiosity got the best of me a few minutes ago. I guess I just wanted to know what he may be saying about Pav.

Of interest is what is written on his profile:

@walsha
Octagon-Hockey, Sports Agent/Lawyer: Mission Statement - To protect clients rights, promote their interests and maximize their compensation. Opinions my own

The guy is going to lose alot of cred if it's found he did know about the conviction. Not saying he did, but if he did....

AndersUlfBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 11:01 PM
Reed Solomon
GO ✈'s GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 View Post
if he stays, I want some serious community service done by Pavs (MADD etc
.).

This would be great........ I would love Pavy to drive me home from the Palimino in December for operation Red Nose......
Pavvy is not allowed to drive for a while though

Lets give him credit though, he took the breathalizer, and plead guilty. At the very least he fessed up and is taking the heat unlike some people.

People drive after having drinks all the time. After weddings, after socials. It's unfortunate, but they do. They're not the scourge of humanity, they're people like you and me, and that's what makes it all the more tragic when something happens. Thankfully, in this case, nothing happened. I think Pavs will get a talking to from the Jets organization, if he hasn't already. Hopefully he learns from this.

Reed Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 11:33 PM
Duir
Registered Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon View Post
Pavvy is not allowed to drive for a while though
Not allowed to drive in the Czech Republic. If he has a MB DL it should be unaffected. Known of people to have impaired driving charges in other countries but were unaffected here in Canada.

Duir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 11:39 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Pavs riding on Winnipeg Transit would be a funny sight

WJG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 11:43 PM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBunk View Post
Not allowed to drive in the Czech Republic. If he has a MB DL it should be unaffected. Known of people to have impaired driving charges in other countries but were unaffected here in Canada.
Jim Gauthier has a new ride for Pavs this season.

blues10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 11:59 PM
Reed Solomon
GO ✈'s GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBunk View Post
Perhaps, but they might find out and feel that he's not following the spirit of the law and not let him get off early.

Reed Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:48 AM
helgo

Eh, i'm not too surprised, i don't know how is this in Canada, but in Czech republic, hockey players (especially talented ones, who bolt early to NA) are mentally basically children, their agents are doing pretty much everything for them. From what i know, his european agent Josef Machala knew about the accident right from the very beginning and he probably advised Pavelec not to tell anybody and tried to conceal it. Unlucky for him and Pavelec, TV Nova got the wind of it...

Last edited by helgo: 07-18-2012 at 04:54 AM.
helgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 03:13 PM
Zhamnov10

I had heard a rumor a while back that pavs bought a house near oakbank, if this is true it may actually be a good thing as a lot of my bar hoping friends have seen Pav out late on numerous nights, it may be a little more difficult for him to get home living outside of the city limits,limiting the amount he goes out, in turn allowing him to be a little more mentally prepared for the long nhl season.i'm sure he will miss his licence, winnipeg is not the best place to be without one.with his new contract i'm sure he could afford to pay a driver to get him around.

Zhamnov10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 09:54 PM
cutchemist42

Is Pavs partying hard most nights?

cutchemist42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 09:59 PM
puck stoppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhamnov10 View Post
I had heard a rumor a while back that pavs bought a house near oakbank, if this is true it may actually be a good thing as a lot of my bar hoping friends have seen Pav out late on numerous nights, it may be a little more difficult for him to get home living outside of the city limits,limiting the amount he goes out, in turn allowing him to be a little more mentally prepared for the long nhl season.i'm sure he will miss his licence, winnipeg is not the best place to be without one.with his new contract i'm sure he could afford to pay a driver to get him around.
I think he has a house in Oakbank and a Condo in the Peg. And for the last time people: HIS LICENCE IS ONLY SUSPENDED IN THE CZECH REPUBLIC!

puck stoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 10:05 PM
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
Is Pavs partying hard most nights?
I think most of the single Jets enjoyed themselves in Winnipeg last year. I wouldn't want to single Pavs out and make this a witch hunt guys.

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 10:08 PM
puck stoppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
I think most of the single Jets enjoyed themselves in Winnipeg last year. I wouldn't want to single Pavs out and make this a witch hunt guys.
I dont blame them. Ive traveled all over the world and I realized we have some of the hottest chicks right here in the Peg.

puck stoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 12:29 PM
blues10

Pavs won't need a car from Gauthier, he'll need a driver.

Quote:
Punish Pavs, MADD says

Official wants NHL to mimic NFL crackdown on DUI

Manitoba Public Insurance spokesman Brian Smiley, while not commenting directly on Pavelec's case, said by law, his driving ban will follow him to Manitoba, even though the province does not have a reciprocity agreement with the Czech Republic.

Smiley said to legally drive in Manitoba, a person from outside Canada needs a valid driver's licence from their home country. Because Pavelec's licence has been suspended, he does not have a valid licence and so is not entitled to drive in Manitoba until the suspension period ends in the Czech Republic.

The province does have reciprocity agreements with about 20 countries, including the United States, the United Kingdom, France, Germany, South Korea, Austria and Switzerland.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...163000756.html

blues10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 01:32 PM
Yukon Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBlondeDemon10 View Post
Sentenced today - two months after the incident. Gotta love swift justice. We need more of that in Canada.

It's because he pled guilty. You get that kind of swift justice as well in Canada when people plead guilty.

Yukon Joe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 02:10 PM
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Joe View Post
It's because he pled guilty. You get that kind of swift justice as well in Canada when people plead guilty.
Assuming of course that you think the penalties handed out constitute "justice".

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 02:18 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Canada has a reciprocity agreement with US so if his DUI was in US it would be valid no matter if he had a MB and a Czech licence or only Czech...
Canada does not have a recprocity agreement with Czech Rep which means if he already has a MB licence it will not affect anything but if he only has an international licence he will not be able to drive

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote