HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

John Erskine

Old
07-16-2012, 04:04 PM
Bruise Bros 2426

vCash: 500
John Erskine

Wings fan coming in peace. In addition to looking for a bandaid for Lidstrom's departure, we also need a 7th defensemen to step in when injuries arise. Looking at Washington's roster, it doesn't appear John Erskine will be getting much playing time next year. Has there been any kind of speculation that GMGM could be looking to trade Erskine? I assume he'll be the 7th/8th defenseman on the depth chart. Thanks in advance, guys.

Bruise Bros 2426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 04:09 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

6th rounder....he's yours.

strungout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 04:11 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Speculation? Some.
Any tangible rumors, reports, or evidence? None.

Caps have plenty of D under contract and Erskine, Schultz, and Schilling would each be an expensive bench option. On the other hand, Erskine is definitely the most physically intimidating defenseman in Washington.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 04:13 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

If you're looking for a depth dman why settle for Erskine when you can add a former +/- leader?

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 04:38 PM
Roughing

I'll give you a 4th to take Schultz.

Roughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 04:44 PM
Quicy

vCash: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughing View Post

Quicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 05:20 PM
WetHog

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughing View Post
Exactly. Double Nickle would make a much better 7th for Detroit.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 07:01 AM
MiKE5889

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruise Bros 2426 View Post
Wings fan coming in peace. In addition to looking for a bandaid for Lidstrom's departure, we also need a 7th defensemen to step in when injuries arise. Looking at Washington's roster, it doesn't appear John Erskine will be getting much playing time next year. Has there been any kind of speculation that GMGM could be looking to trade Erskine? I assume he'll be the 7th/8th defenseman on the depth chart. Thanks in advance, guys.

A mid round pick (4th/5th) would do nicely. Though I would accept a straight up trade for a prospect also, if you have anyone in your system that you think equals Erskine's current value.

Wouldn't mind adding another player to our prospect pool, even if the chances of that player ever making it in the NHL or even in the AHL are minimal at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe
Caps have plenty of D under contract and Erskine, Schultz, and Schilling would each be an expensive bench option. On the other hand, Erskine is definitely the most physically intimidating defenseman in Washington.
The question is if that physicality is worth a 1.5 million cap hit, knowing that he will only play 30 or so games for us next season. I would much rather trade Erskine and open up his spot on the roster and let our AHL and minor league prospects compete for that spot.

MiKE5889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 07:23 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
I wish visitors would post here, up in arms.

Posters here have referenced a lingering injury. I claim its bunk.

Regardless, the way the league is turning pansy, it wouldnt surprise me if we traded him and that the capitals defensemen next year collectively have 0 fighting majors.

We sure as hell better start scoring more because Sarge and the boys are going to be serving up coffee and donuts in front. I hope our goalies will be ready. No, not with cream and sugar.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 07-17-2012 at 08:45 AM.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 08:15 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

BTW, I just got off the phone with Mr. Erskine and he's ecstatic that he is on Wings fans minds when it comes to being a Lidstrom replacement. In Washington, he's a lowly Frowny-Face-Fifty-Five replacement on occasion.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 08:19 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

The price of acquiring Erskine is that you must also take Schultz.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 08:23 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Randy, I'm resigned to the belief that the defensive corps will remain the same, that is no additions or subtractions.

The only question is the pairings for Green and Orlov. It makes sense for Hamrlik to be paired with Orlov as it will benefit Hamrlik and his old legs with less ice time as well as benefit Orlov with a decent mentor. Therefore, though I shudder at the thought, it may very well mean that Schultz is once again paired with Green.

Erskine and Hillen will be 7 and 8, but I think GMGM expects to see Schilling put in some time with the Caps and possibly Kundratek as well.

I know Komisarek is not the player he once was, but I would prefer him than Schultz.
Schultz + Ward + ? for Komisarek would Burke do it? Financially this would actually help us.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 08:58 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
I know Komisarek is not the player he once was, but I would prefer him than Schultz.
Schultz + Ward + ? for Komisarek would Burke do it? Financially this would actually help us.
I'm sorry but I can't help but think this is just a grass is always greener comment. Komisarek today is an incredibly immobile shell of his former self. The guy hasn't played more than 3rd pairing minutes in 2 seasons and that was on a weak team. And he isn't a very good PKer either to help in that area. Sure he plays fairly tough and still tries to hit when he can actually put himself in position to do that but at this point in his career he is a right shot Erskine with three times the cap hit.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 09:03 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

I don't see Erskine in our plans, even if he is here. He may linger around as our 8 to be called upon the game after a star gets injured, in a day late dollar short stunt.

I don't see him getting reps ahead of Sarge. Hillien, maybe, but highly doubtful. And not Orlov. Who they may deem is Alznerable, stuck in Hershey a victim of too much vet depth.

I hope Oates is not going to blindly inherit last years D pairs. I want changes dammit. It only takes a shift. Don't panic. No, Alzner does not need to be with Carlson to be an NHL player, and vice versa.

Alzner Green | Hammer Carlson | Sarge Orlov
Hillien

Orlov can mentor Sarge. Yeah fine jettison Erskine to the moon I am pissed

Old
07-17-2012, 09:15 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
I'm sorry but I can't help but think this is just a grass is always greener comment. Komisarek today is an incredibly immobile shell of his former self. The guy hasn't played more than 3rd pairing minutes in 2 seasons and that was on a weak team. And he isn't a very good PKer either to help in that area. Sure he plays fairly tough and still tries to hit when he can actually put himself in position to do that but at this point in his career he is a right shot Erskine with three times the cap hit.
No need to apologize. We do desperate things during desperate times. Just shows what I will stoop to to rid ourselves of Jeff Schultz.

The Ward factor I believe is creating a clog with our forwards. That is as long as he's still here, it makes it difficult to add another forward, i.e. Semin. That's unless Hillen goes to Hershey, that way you can carry two forwards in the press box along with John Erskine, unless Erskine's shoulder is still screwed up, then we can just Poti him and keep Hillen with the Caps.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 10:33 AM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

Ward lived up to his history in the playoffs. Trading him would be a mistake. Let's see how he does in a (hopefully) less chaotic regular season, anyway.

Liberati0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 10:39 AM
Devil Dancer

Am I the only one who likes Erskine as a 6/7? His D has always been pretty solid, and I like that he gets his shot off quick and gets it to the net.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 10:43 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
Ward lived up to his history in the playoffs. Trading him would be a mistake. Let's see how he does in a (hopefully) less chaotic regular season, anyway.
So 1 goal and 5 points in 14 playoff games after scoring 9 goals and putting up 17 points in his previous 18 playoffs games is 'living up to his history?'

I don't know if I would agree...

Old
07-17-2012, 10:43 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

I'd like him there if he were cheaper and/or more durable. Durability being a bigger issue now since the Caps don't seem to be spending.

I like most of what he brings, but if his health issues force him to be unavailable, or have to hesitate from fighting etc. then it gets to be an issue.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 10:44 AM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

Quote:
So 1 goal and 5 points in 14 playoff games after scoring 9 goals and putting up 17 points in his previous 18 playoffs games is 'living up to his history?'

I don't know if I would agree...
I'm sure I don't have to ask you if you watched the games. He played very well. You do realize how many people outscored him, right? And how much more ice time they got?

Old
07-17-2012, 11:17 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
I'm sure I don't have to ask you if you watched the games. He played very well. You do realize how many people outscored him, right? And how much more ice time they got?
Of course I watched the games but he was brought in for his ability to raise his game and produce in the playoffs. Sure he raised his game over the regular season, which isn't saying a whole lot but whatever, but I wouldn't in anyway call that producing.

I'm not in the move Ward camp but I don't think he in anyway met expectations last year. I have high hopes for next season though.

Old
07-17-2012, 11:56 AM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

Quote:
Of course I watched the games but he was brought in for his ability to raise his game and produce in the playoffs. Sure he raised his game over the regular season, which isn't saying a whole lot but whatever, but I wouldn't in anyway call that producing.

I'm not in the move Ward camp but I don't think he in anyway met expectations last year. I have high hopes for next season though.
5 points, including a series-winning OT goal, in 10:56 per game. Sheltered minutes, but with pretty terrible linemates. Brooks Laich had 7 points in twice the ice time. Ovechkin led the team with 9 points. He played extremely well within the role he was given. It's impossible to say whether he would have risen to meet a larger role or not, as he wasn't given the opportunity.

Old
07-17-2012, 12:12 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Am I the only one who likes Erskine as a 6/7? His D has always been pretty solid, and I like that he gets his shot off quick and gets it to the net.
Nope.

I was toying with idea of creating a report card for DMen in playoffs. Give them a grade for the series. Divide by 7 multiply by number of series played in or some ****. Tally up the grades, and see who has been our best overall playoff dman in the modern era.

I guarantee he is not 6/7 on that list.

Erskine shocked the world and did great against Philly. I am not sure enough crow was ever served for that one after all the heat us supporters took all year. Slow dumb GOON yadda yadda yadda buzzzz wrong. His worst series was Pitt but I believe he had broken his foot. And perhaps Tampa, but all our Dmen struggled that series.

And he does have a decent shot. The best part though, at least he tries to crank it on net full force. The other LD seem so hesitant to even try. I'm afraid Bluto. That lame slap pass into the corner to no one never works.

Old
07-17-2012, 07:49 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
5 points, including a series-winning OT goal, in 10:56 per game. Sheltered minutes, but with pretty terrible linemates. Brooks Laich had 7 points in twice the ice time. Ovechkin led the team with 9 points. He played extremely well within the role he was given. It's impossible to say whether he would have risen to meet a larger role or not, as he wasn't given the opportunity.
Never mind 1 goal and 5 points over 14 games and 153 minutes of ice time rules. We can only hope he continues this over the next 3 season. I mean 5 Wards on the ice at all times potting goals at that pace is almost 2 goals a game and who could ask for more than that...?

Look Ward in no way met expectations last year not based on his play over the previous couple seasons and not based on his new contract. Was he alone in not meeting expectations? Of course not but that doesn't change the fact that he didn't get the job done.

I'm ok with things though as the first season in a new organization can be tough. I look forward to him performing better both over the regular season and in the playoffs next season.

Old
07-17-2012, 09:47 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

Quote:
Never mind 1 goal and 5 points over 14 games and 153 minutes of ice time rules. We can only hope he continues this over the next 3 season. I mean 5 Wards on the ice at all times potting goals at that pace is almost 2 goals a game and who could ask for more than that...?

Look Ward in no way met expectations last year not based on his play over the previous couple seasons and not based on his new contract. Was he alone in not meeting expectations? Of course not but that doesn't change the fact that he didn't get the job done.

I'm ok with things though as the first season in a new organization can be tough. I look forward to him performing better both over the regular season and in the playoffs next season.
I have no idea why you framed it as "153 minutes." He played just over 10 minutes per game, with Keith Aucoin almost invariably centering him. (He also faced easy competition.) The team leader in points had 9 in 14 games, with, obviously, plenty of PP time. In the context of Ward's minutes and role and with how the team was playing and how little scoring that style facilitated, Ward's point-production was outstanding.

Regardless, that's beside the point. He clearly stepped up his play all around in the playoffs. Yes, relative to a terrible regular season, but he played very well especially against the Bruins. I was possibly the most skeptical of Ward's playoff legend of anyone here before the playoffs. I wanted to waive the guy. It's certainly not like I have an underlying bias here.