HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Not too long ago we had "zero top 6 forwards"

Old
07-19-2012, 05:46 PM
darrylsittler27

vCash: 500
Let's face reality...

We are no better in the standings than when Burke started.He has been outmatched by the other GMs and instead of being like Philly and agressively making his team better he has overpaid for the players no one wants.It should have been Toronto offering Weber.He spent the money on junk and pussied around with talent.His stupid no trade on holidays,loyalty blah blah blah, hasn't worked.Stop looking at past Leaf teams, which we are no better than, and watch the rest of East win cups and move past us.

Burke's hands are tied,we face another losing season(fine) and a high draft pick to try and catch up with the rest.Burke's policies suck and we a need a GM with balls.

darrylsittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 07:47 PM
LeafsAllDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylsittler27 View Post
We are no better in the standings than when Burke started.He has been outmatched by the other GMs and instead of being like Philly and agressively making his team better he has overpaid for the players no one wants.It should have been Toronto offering Weber.He spent the money on junk and pussied around with talent.His stupid no trade on holidays,loyalty blah blah blah, hasn't worked.Stop looking at past Leaf teams, which we are no better than, and watch the rest of East win cups and move past us.

Burke's hands are tied,we face another losing season(fine) and a high draft pick to try and catch up with the rest.Burke's policies suck and we a need a GM with balls.
I agree that some of Burke's personal policies hinder our teams opportunities to improve. Most notably, not signing players to long term front-loaded contracts or offer sheets. What this means is that a a huge number of players that may be available to another team, are automatically unavailable to us.

However, in Burke's defense, he is not to blame for the lack of signings/trades for big players because a lot of players don't even consider Toronto an option. No chance with Parise, Suter or Nash; No chance with B Richards or Kovalchuk, etc, etc. It is unfortunate but true. Our roster was an absolute disagrace when Burke arrived and now, while by no means perfect, it is at least respectable. He has brought in some key players such as: Gardiner, Lupul, Phaneuf, Franson, MacArthur, Bozak, JVR & Brown. Additionally, he has left our team with a ton of free cap space next year when the new CBA kicks in so that is nice.

LeafsAllDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 07:49 PM
Mike1

Last seasons team had better scoring on the top end, goaltenders who performed statistically better than Toskala, the starter in 08-09. The only advantage the 08-09 team had was Dominic Moore, who outproduced Connolly offensively & defensively for substancially less money. The Leafs never really replaced him.

Yet the 11-12 team was one point worse than the 08-09 team....

If the team Burke put together is better, why did they finish worse to the team in 08-09? A team whose best defencemen was Ian White, best forward was Jason Blake & best goalie was Vesa Toskala...

Had I told you four years ago that the Leafs would have less points four years later than they did in 08-09, what would go through your mind?

Mike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 08:35 PM
LeafsAllDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1 View Post
Last seasons team had better scoring on the top end, goaltenders who performed statistically better than Toskala, the starter in 08-09. The only advantage the 08-09 team had was Dominic Moore, who outproduced Connolly offensively & defensively for substancially less money. The Leafs never really replaced him.

Yet the 11-12 team was one point worse than the 08-09 team....

If the team Burke put together is better, why did they finish worse to the team in 08-09? A team whose best defencemen was Ian White, best forward was Jason Blake & best goalie was Vesa Toskala...

Had I told you four years ago that the Leafs would have less points four years later than they did in 08-09, what would go through your mind?
Ian White was the only good, young player we had on the 08/09 team and we barely had anybody with any real trade value in our system at that time. Currently we have a lot of good, young players with a lot of potential and generally speaking, we have players with much greater trade/market value.

The 08/09 team may have had 1 more point but they had a worse goal differential and in 08/09 it took 93pts to make the playoffs in the east while it took 92pts last year which is an identical point differential. More importantly, the 11/12 team was in a playoff spot until February and showed some real hope before ultimately imploding. The 08/09 team was a write-off from beginning to the end of the season.

No, I would not have believed the team would finish off lower in the standings but I also wouldn't have expected us to have some of the stud players we have now

LeafsAllDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 10:53 PM
Wendel17

Another great example of good ol' Cliffy "clearing the slate" for Burke and showing everyone what the words "piss poor asset management" looks like. He comes in on day one like a Bull in a china shop and declares that all of our players are basically crap. What Cliffy seemed to forget at the time those precious words came out of his mouth is that he was going to want to trade those same players soon after. Way to raise their trade value Cliff. Good job. I liked Fletcher better in 1993. I wish he would have kept his mouth shut the second time around and just minded the shop. We have Richard Peddie to thank for Fletcher 2.0 (good riddance to him!).

And people complain that Burke is bad. Fletcher created more problems for him than he solved. He added to the payroll and made a mess of the team his short time.

Wendel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 05:28 AM
Platapie

There's no doubt our team has a lot more talent now than it did then, and it goes beyond the draft picks since Burke has won his fair share of trades. Phaneuf, Lupul and Gardiner are 3 players in particular that we have no real business having that are here because of him. I don't include Kessel, because that comes out as a wash given how good I think Seguin is going to be (if not a slight negative).

The benefits of stealing 2 solid D-men, is that we could trade Schenn for balance up front, and given Burke's eye for these types of trades, I feel fairly positive that that one will work out too.

So, all in all the team has a ton more talent than it did back then, but has yet to put it together consistently. I'm still blown away that last year ended the way it did. Half way through the season it looked like this team finally had gotten their act together, and then the wheels came completely off. Personally, and this is just my opinion on the matter, I think this team has looked better than it has in a LONG time, with a lot of young assets figuring things out. Back in the Fletcher days, or worse, JFJ's latter days, we were an old team which clearly had no chance to win anything, with an aging corp and no prospects.

I think Burke's process will be vindicated eventually. Hopefully he's around to be rewarded for it, because it's certainly taken longer than I think anyone hoped it would.

Platapie is offline   Reply With Quote