HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Man of Steel

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-13-2013, 03:07 AM
  #276
LiquidSnake
Registered User
 
LiquidSnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooter1 View Post
What could have been interesting is if Lois was played by an African-American, like Zoe Saldana, Kerry Washington, Taraji Henson, Sydney Tamiia Poitier.

Would have been totally unexpected, which is kinda cool.

Just throwing it out there for discussion.
Cant stand Zoe Saldana. Terrible actress and every role is "tough chick" but I'm not buying it. Cant stop seeing that stupid Avatar everytime I see her.

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 03:56 AM
  #277
Shareefruck
Registered User
 
Shareefruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooter1 View Post
Maybe he's starting a new tradition. In any case, it was his decision and she seems fine with it, so I don't see why anyone would object.

And the same pride/ego can be said of a man passing his name down to his son as well. Your assertion is a double standard at best and hypocrisy at worst.
I think you're misunderstanding my stance. My point is that passing down a name to either a boy and a girl could be due to pride/ego, but in the case of the boy, there is actually more of a possibility that it isn't that, and is rather just something that the father does without thinking or caring too much about simply because it's such a traditional/accepted norm that generally happens. There's no scenario with the girl where this can be used as an excuse.

In principle, I don't like it in either case, but I'm not showing hypocrisy here. There's greater reason to question the father's intentions if he goes out of his way to do it against gender-- it would be much more clear that pride/ego is the reason, simply because it isn't the norm, meaning it's something he went out of his way to care about doing because his child carrying his name is clearly important to him.

Of course it's his decision, anyone can do whatever they want-- but you can still comment on whether or not you like/respect the decision or think it's silly.

Granted, I don't really care too much either way, but I made the comment in the first place because I disagreed with you and thought it was unfair to say that it's exactly the same scenario as passing a name down to his son. The principle is equivalent, but the context is very very different.


Last edited by Shareefruck: 04-13-2013 at 04:08 AM.
Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 10:41 AM
  #278
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!
 
White Plains Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,627
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Cant stand Zoe Saldana. Terrible actress and every role is "tough chick" but I'm not buying it. Cant stop seeing that stupid Avatar everytime I see her.
It's not so much that I can't stand her but that she's not acting just playing herself. She's from NY but always plays this exaggerated "I'm not gonna take stuff from anyone and have a quick response" tough NY chick. She was actually very good in Avatar.

I'm not a fan of her interpretation of Uhura.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 02:32 PM
  #279
Sharpshooter
Registered User
 
Sharpshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 13,964
vCash: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Cant stand Zoe Saldana. Terrible actress and every role is "tough chick" but I'm not buying it. Cant stop seeing that stupid Avatar everytime I see her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
It's not so much that I can't stand her but that she's not acting just playing herself. She's from NY but always plays this exaggerated "I'm not gonna take stuff from anyone and have a quick response" tough NY chick. She was actually very good in Avatar.

I'm not a fan of her interpretation of Uhura.

Lol, fair enough. To each their own, but what do you guys think about the idea of going in a different direction with the choice of the leading lady's background?

Sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 03:16 PM
  #280
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!
 
White Plains Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,627
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooter1 View Post
Lol, fair enough. To each their own, but what do you guys think about the idea of going in a different direction with the choice of the leading lady's background?
It's all about who will deliver the best performance not about the race. Amy Adams was a great choice based on the last decade of her work.

Lawrence Fishburne was a great choice as well.

The only time race plays a role is if it's part of a characters background or too essential to the story. Mark Whalberg should not play Shaft. Ever.

Snyder's works have been very hit or miss. I really enjoyed Watchmen, 300 was a one-time fairly entertaining watch, and Sucker Punch was unwatchable.

I don't mind the darker themes in this movie and I'm happy Luther has nothing to do with it so that's an huge plus. Superman has so many great villains not named Luther and I feel it's time to start exploring those and the more sci fi/alien elements to his origin especially with how far CG has come. If they can get a trilogy out of this Braniac, Mr. Mfgdfsfh%#Q%, Metallo, Parasite, even a minor villain like Bloodsport (with Afghanistan instead of Vietnam as his back story) are all cool options.

If they must do Luther then make him the evil, heartless, angry one with all the cool sci fi toys and not some clown who is about real estate.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 03:27 PM
  #281
Sharpshooter
Registered User
 
Sharpshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 13,964
vCash: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
It's all about who will deliver the best performance not about the race. Amy Adams was a great choice based on the last decade of her work.

Lawrence Fishburne was a great choice as well.

The only time race plays a role is if it's part of a characters background or too essential to the story. Mark Whalberg should not play Shaft. Ever.

Snyder's works have been very hit or miss. I really enjoyed Watchmen, 300 was a one-time fairly entertaining watch, and Sucker Punch was unwatchable.

I don't mind the darker themes in this movie and I'm happy Luther has nothing to do with it so that's an huge plus. Superman has so many great villains not named Luther and I feel it's time to start exploring those and the more sci fi/alien elements to his origin especially with how far CG has come. If they can get a trilogy out of this Braniac, Mr. Mfgdfsfh%#Q%, Metallo, Parasite, even a minor villain like Bloodsport (with Afghanistan instead of Vietnam as his back story) are all cool options.

If they must do Luther then make him the evil, heartless, angry one with all the cool sci fi toys and not some clown who is about real estate.
Fair enough about Amy Adams. I just thought it'd be one way to get the franchise fresh and relevant to the modern narrative that we live in.

I agree about Luther. Been there done that, don't want to see him for a very long time. Brainiac would be a great storyline, but better in a Justice League format, imo.

I think they need to do it like Marvel did with Iron Man...3 stand alone movies, with 3 different rivals, leading to a larger plot like in the ensemble story of the Avengers.

Superman is arguably the most powerful character ever created, and he's an utter bore! Time to focus on his badassery by given him a villain to bring it out of him.

Sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 06:27 PM
  #282
LiquidSnake
Registered User
 
LiquidSnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooter1 View Post
Lol, fair enough. To each their own, but what do you guys think about the idea of going in a different direction with the choice of the leading lady's background?
I'm fine with it as long as the person can act.

Being that my parents are from India, I pray we never see Bollywood actresses though. They can't act worth a damn.

I'd have a massive problem seeing Aishwarya Rai as Batgirl

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 06:29 PM
  #283
LiquidSnake
Registered User
 
LiquidSnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooter1 View Post
Fair enough about Amy Adams. I just thought it'd be one way to get the franchise fresh and relevant to the modern narrative that we live in.

I agree about Luther. Been there done that, don't want to see him for a very long time. Brainiac would be a great storyline, but better in a Justice League format, imo.

I think they need to do it like Marvel did with Iron Man...3 stand alone movies, with 3 different rivals, leading to a larger plot like in the ensemble story of the Avengers.

Superman is arguably the most powerful character ever created, and he's an utter bore! Time to focus on his badassery by given him a villain to bring it out of him.
Would love to see a superman story involving Doomsday.

And a Batman story with people like Hush or Zsasz

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 06:42 PM
  #284
Sharpshooter
Registered User
 
Sharpshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 13,964
vCash: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
I'm fine with it as long as the person can act.

Being that my parents are from India, I pray we never see Bollywood actresses though. They can't act worth a damn.

I'd have a massive problem seeing Aishwarya Rai as Batgirl
That made me actually laugh out loud.

Imagine a Superman with a hundred costume changes, high pitched screeching passed off as singing, and very poor acting, and you have yourself a Bollywood Superman movie.

I literally would watch it for the lulz.


Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Would love to see a superman story involving Doomsday.

And a Batman story with people like Hush or Zsasz
Doomsday...forgot about him. Absolutely yes to that. Screw Luther. Superman deserves a Doomsday movie...hell, so do we after the piles of dung that we've had to endure over the decades.

Sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 07:08 PM
  #285
LiquidSnake
Registered User
 
LiquidSnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooter1 View Post
That made me actually laugh out loud.

Imagine a Superman with a hundred costume changes, high pitched screeching passed off as singing, and very poor acting, and you have yourself a Bollywood Superman movie.

I literally would watch it for the lulz.




Doomsday...forgot about him. Absolutely yes to that. Screw Luther. Superman deserves a Doomsday movie...hell, so do we after the piles of dung that we've had to endure over the decades.
totally seeing him wearing silk shirts and gold chains as a disguise

Here's essentially how it would be:


LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 08:28 PM
  #286
Sharpshooter
Registered User
 
Sharpshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 13,964
vCash: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
totally seeing him wearing silk shirts and gold chains as a disguise

Here's essentially how it would be:


*deep breath*...HAHAHAHAHA

I laughed so hard, two drops of pee came out.

Sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 10:24 PM
  #287
BlackStar
Registered User
 
BlackStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooter1 View Post
Fair enough about Amy Adams. I just thought it'd be one way to get the franchise fresh and relevant to the modern narrative that we live in.

I agree about Luther. Been there done that, don't want to see him for a very long time. Brainiac would be a great storyline, but better in a Justice League format, imo.

I think they need to do it like Marvel did with Iron Man...3 stand alone movies, with 3 different rivals, leading to a larger plot like in the ensemble story of the Avengers.

Superman is arguably the most powerful character ever created, and he's an utter bore! Time to focus on his badassery by given him a villain to bring it out of him.
Any character will be boring if not handled by good writers who write good villains for the character. Batman has been very boring at times on tv shows and films because of poor writers with poor villains. Zod is a fantastic and perfect choice for a villain in this reboot.


Last edited by BlackStar: 04-13-2013 at 10:42 PM.
BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 10:47 PM
  #288
BlackStar
Registered User
 
BlackStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Would love to see a superman story involving Doomsday.

And a Batman story with people like Hush or Zsasz
Judging by what Goyer(the writer) has said about Kryptononians in the film , it's very likely that Doomsday will make an appearance in the second film or the third film.

BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 11:32 PM
  #289
BlackStar
Registered User
 
BlackStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,435
vCash: 500
New Man of Steel viral video:



Excellent!

BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 11:52 PM
  #290
LiquidSnake
Registered User
 
LiquidSnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
Judging by what Goyer(the writer) has said about Kryptononians in the film , it's very likely that Doomsday will make an appearance in the second film or the third film.
That would be awesome

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:17 AM
  #291
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murica
Country: United States
Posts: 21,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooter1 View Post
It's always had them, no?

The son being sent by the father from far away to save the people of earth. Is raised by two people who aren't his parents, but leaves to fulfill his destiny. Is tempted often but remains righteous....and on and on.

Jesus...the original superhero story.
The Bible...the original comic book.

I figure give it a couple thousand years and we'll all be praying in Superman synagogues while calling the those in the Batman temples a bunch of heathens who won't be saved in order to go to Krypton, but will go to the Phantom Zone for being the sinful non-believers that they are.
No doubt, it just seems like these allusions are more on the nose.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:02 AM
  #292
BlackStar
Registered User
 
BlackStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,435
vCash: 500
The new Man of Steel trailer debuts tomorrow.

BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 07:33 PM
  #293
chuppa chupp
star gazing
 
chuppa chupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: somewhere out there
Posts: 2,754
vCash: 500
Here's the new trailer. Looks amazing. Visuals are definitely Zach Snyder's strong suit. Although I have a feeling that this is going to be too "slow" for mainstream audiences who are used to Marvel's flicks.


chuppa chupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 08:22 PM
  #294
parabola
BOlieve dat
 
parabola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: ಠ_ಠ
Posts: 43,556
vCash: 500
Looks awesome.

parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 08:28 PM
  #295
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murica
Country: United States
Posts: 21,571
vCash: 500
Looks absolutely sick.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 08:44 PM
  #296
JWells16
Registered User
 
JWells16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Raleigh, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,554
vCash: 500
Wow. I'm actually in awe at that trailer.

JWells16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 09:04 PM
  #297
Power Man
Grrrr
 
Power Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: 221B Baker Street
Posts: 22,494
vCash: 500
Nolan I love you

Power Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 09:37 PM
  #298
Carlzner
Registered User
 
Carlzner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: DC/CO
Country: United States
Posts: 13,280
vCash: 500
Oh my god.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 10:40 PM
  #299
x Tame Impala
Registered User
 
x Tame Impala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 16,648
vCash: 500
2 months!

x Tame Impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 12:50 AM
  #300
Power Man
Grrrr
 
Power Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: 221B Baker Street
Posts: 22,494
vCash: 500
Lexcorp !!!!


Power Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.