HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Man of Steel

Old
04-13-2013, 03:07 AM
LiquidSnake

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooter1 View Post
What could have been interesting is if Lois was played by an African-American, like Zoe Saldana, Kerry Washington, Taraji Henson, Sydney Tamiia Poitier.

Would have been totally unexpected, which is kinda cool.

Just throwing it out there for discussion.
Cant stand Zoe Saldana. Terrible actress and every role is "tough chick" but I'm not buying it. Cant stop seeing that stupid Avatar everytime I see her.

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 03:56 AM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Maybe he's starting a new tradition. In any case, it was his decision and she seems fine with it, so I don't see why anyone would object.

And the same pride/ego can be said of a man passing his name down to his son as well. Your assertion is a double standard at best and hypocrisy at worst.
I think you're misunderstanding my stance. My point is that passing down a name to either a boy and a girl could be due to pride/ego, but in the case of the boy, there is actually more of a possibility that it isn't that, and is rather just something that the father does without thinking or caring too much about simply because it's such a traditional/accepted norm that generally happens. There's no scenario with the girl where this can be used as an excuse.

In principle, I don't like it in either case, but I'm not showing hypocrisy here. There's greater reason to question the father's intentions if he goes out of his way to do it against gender-- it would be much more clear that pride/ego is the reason, simply because it isn't the norm, meaning it's something he went out of his way to care about doing because his child carrying his name is clearly important to him.

Of course it's his decision, anyone can do whatever they want-- but you can still comment on whether or not you like/respect the decision or think it's silly.

Granted, I don't really care too much either way, but I made the comment in the first place because I disagreed with you and thought it was unfair to say that it's exactly the same scenario as passing a name down to his son. The principle is equivalent, but the context is very very different.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 04-13-2013 at 04:08 AM.
Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 10:41 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Cant stand Zoe Saldana. Terrible actress and every role is "tough chick" but I'm not buying it. Cant stop seeing that stupid Avatar everytime I see her.
It's not so much that I can't stand her but that she's not acting just playing herself. She's from NY but always plays this exaggerated "I'm not gonna take stuff from anyone and have a quick response" tough NY chick. She was actually very good in Avatar.

I'm not a fan of her interpretation of Uhura.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 02:32 PM
Sharpshooter

vCash: 550
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
It's not so much that I can't stand her but that she's not acting just playing herself. She's from NY but always plays this exaggerated "I'm not gonna take stuff from anyone and have a quick response" tough NY chick. She was actually very good in Avatar.

I'm not a fan of her interpretation of Uhura.

Lol, fair enough. To each their own, but what do you guys think about the idea of going in a different direction with the choice of the leading lady's background?

Sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 03:16 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Quote:
Lol, fair enough. To each their own, but what do you guys think about the idea of going in a different direction with the choice of the leading lady's background?
It's all about who will deliver the best performance not about the race. Amy Adams was a great choice based on the last decade of her work.

Lawrence Fishburne was a great choice as well.

The only time race plays a role is if it's part of a characters background or too essential to the story. Mark Whalberg should not play Shaft. Ever.

Snyder's works have been very hit or miss. I really enjoyed Watchmen, 300 was a one-time fairly entertaining watch, and Sucker Punch was unwatchable.

I don't mind the darker themes in this movie and I'm happy Luther has nothing to do with it so that's an huge plus. Superman has so many great villains not named Luther and I feel it's time to start exploring those and the more sci fi/alien elements to his origin especially with how far CG has come. If they can get a trilogy out of this Braniac, Mr. Mfgdfsfh%#Q%, Metallo, Parasite, even a minor villain like Bloodsport (with Afghanistan instead of Vietnam as his back story) are all cool options.

If they must do Luther then make him the evil, heartless, angry one with all the cool sci fi toys and not some clown who is about real estate.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 03:27 PM
Sharpshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
It's all about who will deliver the best performance not about the race. Amy Adams was a great choice based on the last decade of her work.

Lawrence Fishburne was a great choice as well.

The only time race plays a role is if it's part of a characters background or too essential to the story. Mark Whalberg should not play Shaft. Ever.

Snyder's works have been very hit or miss. I really enjoyed Watchmen, 300 was a one-time fairly entertaining watch, and Sucker Punch was unwatchable.

I don't mind the darker themes in this movie and I'm happy Luther has nothing to do with it so that's an huge plus. Superman has so many great villains not named Luther and I feel it's time to start exploring those and the more sci fi/alien elements to his origin especially with how far CG has come. If they can get a trilogy out of this Braniac, Mr. Mfgdfsfh%#Q%, Metallo, Parasite, even a minor villain like Bloodsport (with Afghanistan instead of Vietnam as his back story) are all cool options.

If they must do Luther then make him the evil, heartless, angry one with all the cool sci fi toys and not some clown who is about real estate.
Fair enough about Amy Adams. I just thought it'd be one way to get the franchise fresh and relevant to the modern narrative that we live in.

I agree about Luther. Been there done that, don't want to see him for a very long time. Brainiac would be a great storyline, but better in a Justice League format, imo.

I think they need to do it like Marvel did with Iron Man...3 stand alone movies, with 3 different rivals, leading to a larger plot like in the ensemble story of the Avengers.

Superman is arguably the most powerful character ever created, and he's an utter bore! Time to focus on his badassery by given him a villain to bring it out of him.

Old
04-13-2013, 06:27 PM
LiquidSnake

Quote:
I'm fine with it as long as the person can act.

Being that my parents are from India, I pray we never see Bollywood actresses though. They can't act worth a damn.

I'd have a massive problem seeing Aishwarya Rai as Batgirl

Old
04-13-2013, 06:29 PM
LiquidSnake

Quote:
Fair enough about Amy Adams. I just thought it'd be one way to get the franchise fresh and relevant to the modern narrative that we live in.

I agree about Luther. Been there done that, don't want to see him for a very long time. Brainiac would be a great storyline, but better in a Justice League format, imo.

I think they need to do it like Marvel did with Iron Man...3 stand alone movies, with 3 different rivals, leading to a larger plot like in the ensemble story of the Avengers.

Superman is arguably the most powerful character ever created, and he's an utter bore! Time to focus on his badassery by given him a villain to bring it out of him.
Would love to see a superman story involving Doomsday.

And a Batman story with people like Hush or Zsasz

Old
04-13-2013, 06:42 PM
Sharpshooter

Quote:
I'm fine with it as long as the person can act.

Being that my parents are from India, I pray we never see Bollywood actresses though. They can't act worth a damn.

I'd have a massive problem seeing Aishwarya Rai as Batgirl
That made me actually laugh out loud.

Imagine a Superman with a hundred costume changes, high pitched screeching passed off as singing, and very poor acting, and you have yourself a Bollywood Superman movie.

I literally would watch it for the lulz.

Quote:

Doomsday...forgot about him. Absolutely yes to that. Screw Luther. Superman deserves a Doomsday movie...hell, so do we after the piles of dung that we've had to endure over the decades.

Old
04-13-2013, 07:08 PM
LiquidSnake

Quote:
That made me actually laugh out loud.

Imagine a Superman with a hundred costume changes, high pitched screeching passed off as singing, and very poor acting, and you have yourself a Bollywood Superman movie.

I literally would watch it for the lulz.

Doomsday...forgot about him. Absolutely yes to that. Screw Luther. Superman deserves a Doomsday movie...hell, so do we after the piles of dung that we've had to endure over the decades.
totally seeing him wearing silk shirts and gold chains as a disguise

Here's essentially how it would be:

Old
04-13-2013, 08:28 PM
Sharpshooter

Quote:
totally seeing him wearing silk shirts and gold chains as a disguise

Here's essentially how it would be:

*deep breath*...HAHAHAHAHA

I laughed so hard, two drops of pee came out.

Old
04-13-2013, 10:24 PM
BlackStar

Quote:

Any character will be boring if not handled by good writers who write good villains for the character. Batman has been very boring at times on tv shows and films because of poor writers with poor villains. Zod is a fantastic and perfect choice for a villain in this reboot.

Last edited by BlackStar: 04-13-2013 at 10:42 PM.
BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 10:47 PM
BlackStar

Quote:

Judging by what Goyer(the writer) has said about Kryptononians in the film , it's very likely that Doomsday will make an appearance in the second film or the third film.

Old
04-14-2013, 11:32 PM
BlackStar

New Man of Steel viral video:

Excellent!

Old
04-14-2013, 11:52 PM
LiquidSnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
Judging by what Goyer(the writer) has said about Kryptononians in the film , it's very likely that Doomsday will make an appearance in the second film or the third film.
That would be awesome

Old
04-15-2013, 09:17 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
It's always had them, no?

The son being sent by the father from far away to save the people of earth. Is raised by two people who aren't his parents, but leaves to fulfill his destiny. Is tempted often but remains righteous....and on and on.

Jesus...the original superhero story.
The Bible...the original comic book.

I figure give it a couple thousand years and we'll all be praying in Superman synagogues while calling the those in the Batman temples a bunch of heathens who won't be saved in order to go to Krypton, but will go to the Phantom Zone for being the sinful non-believers that they are.
No doubt, it just seems like these allusions are more on the nose.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:02 AM
BlackStar

The new Man of Steel trailer debuts tomorrow.

Old
04-16-2013, 07:33 PM
chuppa chupp
star gazing

Here's the new trailer. Looks amazing. Visuals are definitely Zach Snyder's strong suit. Although I have a feeling that this is going to be too "slow" for mainstream audiences who are used to Marvel's flicks.

chuppa chupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 08:22 PM
parabola
BOlieve dat

Looks awesome.

parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 08:28 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Looks absolutely sick.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 08:44 PM
JWells16

Wow. I'm actually in awe at that trailer.

JWells16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 09:04 PM
Power Man
Grrrr

Nolan I love you

Power Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 09:37 PM
Carlzner