HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Man of Steel

Old
04-18-2013, 10:13 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
How is Kal-El in any way, shape or form, "wallowing in misery" in the trailers...? All it is, is a man going on a journey to find his purpose in life. Just because Nolan is producing the film, doesn't mean that Kal-El is automatically grounded into a state of misery/melancholia the entire film.
Oh, I don't know, the beard, scruffy nerf herder look, boat, colorless, gray look. Today it all screams of "I don't know who I am, I don't know anyone, I'm better off alone with only the ocean, the boat and my dog. I spend my days watching the ocean and listening to Radiohead, crying and thinking about killing myself."

Last edited by Jussi: 04-18-2013 at 10:20 PM.
Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 10:20 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuppa chupp View Post
Batman got worse and worse because Christopher Nolan's idea of entertainment is 120 minutes of mind-numbing, insomnia curing exposition mixed in with about 20 minutes of awful "action" scenes. Seriously, has any action scene this guy has done been thrilling or fun to watch?

I'm sick to death of comic book / superhero movies, especially reboots, but Snyder looks like he's bringing a balls to the wall popcorn flick here. Nothing too bleak or gritty. And at least his movies are nice to look at. I want him to do a follow-up to his 2004 remake of Dawn of the Dead. I would love to see that universe on a grander scale.
Because it's clear this world need another zombie movie/series...

Agree with you on the action scenes, Tim Burton's Batman films had much better action scenes and that isn't a complete compliment since they were done over 20 years ago.

Old
04-18-2013, 10:30 PM
chuppa chupp
star gazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Because it's clear this world need another zombie movie/series...

Agree with you on the action scenes, Tim Burton's Batman films had much better action scenes and that isn't a complete compliment since they were done over 20 years ago.
Ha, true true, but I loved the zombie world that he created in this movie. The opening scene is just outstanding, and those 10 minutes are better than the entirety of The Walking Dead.

Regarding Nolan, I just can't get into his action scenes. Not fun, entertaining, pulse pounding, etc.

chuppa chupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 10:50 PM
Elever
Hth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
New Man of Steel still:

Can I just say that the extremely black hair, the tough face, and the worn/lizard skin looking costume with dark colours make him look more like a villain than a hero to someone who knows nothing about Superman (I know that pretty much everyone knows Superman but just saying)? I'm not criticizing it, looks neat but just found it interesting.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 11:01 PM
JS19
Four Kicks

Quote:
Oh, I don't know, the beard, scruffy nerf herder look, boat, colorless, gray look. Today it all screams of "I don't know who I am, I don't know anyone, I'm better off alone with only the ocean, the boat and my dog. I spend my days watching the ocean and listening to Radiohead, crying and thinking about killing myself."
I guess every bearded, scruffy herder, boatman is as emo as you describe them to be then. To say that it's gray is to grossly oversimplify the colour scheme of the film, there are points in the film where there is one hue for certain scenes (blue for Lois/Kal-El interrogation, black for Metropolis' destruction), but there are also some colourful scenes. It's certainly not to the extent that Nolan took with his Batman series where the majority of his scenes were black/gray with very little colour involved.

Moreover, you're also grossly oversimplifying as assuming that he's even emo to begin with: There is a journey motif at work, and his journey is one where he finds out his Kryptonian roots. But, because he's very different from humans he's always seen as the outcast. Can you really and feasibly expect an outcast to just be happy-go-lucky about being a hero when he has no clue what he is? Additionally, remember when Jor-El said "Goodbye my son, our hopes and dreams travel with you" & "You will give Earth an ideal to strive towards. They will stumble, they will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun"? This implies that Jor-El left a purpose for Kal-El, but how can we expect a young Kal-El to know this?

Hence, when he finds the Fortress of Solitude/goes on his Kryptonian genealogy journey, that will open the path for Kal-El to realize his parents' (and Krypton's) hopes and dreams and become the shining beacon of hope for Earth. And that to me sounds more positive than a "hurr durr I can shot ice from my mouth, I will save you peepuls."

Last edited by JS19: 04-19-2013 at 01:20 AM.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 02:44 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

surprise surprise...Jussi in here already talking down on the movie.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 02:53 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
surprise surprise...Jussi in here already talking down on the movie.
And then Marvel acquires the rights to Superman tomorrow...

"Well...he's not that emo. I...I...kinda like it..."

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 02:56 PM
Shadowtron

I love how these kids are complaining about too much realism in their superheroes LOL! He can fly and shoot lasers out of his eyes...but we're drawing a line at depth and beards? Cus that tish is emo yo. Good Lord.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 03:12 PM
BlackStar

Quote:
Couldn't agree more with these two. It's time to focus more putting entertaining, positive stuff instead of pleasing hipster emos (or hemos as I call them) with characters that mire in misery all the time. Let the hemos keep watching "Requiem for a dream" on constant loop if the want to wallow in misery.

Define "complex".
Smallville's Clark Kent's major difficulties were lying to loved ones to keep his secret from them and knowing how to use his powers for good. That's essentially it.

Man of Steel's Clark Kent will however be much more troubled by the realization that he is the "answer to are we alone in the universe", he will be much more troubled about his alien nature than the powers that result from that, he will also have great difficulty dealing with the emotional and physical pain/discomfort that comes with his powers (the second trailer for example shows that his ability to hear everything and anything around him will not exactly be pleasurable).

Also, as a result other events in his life (that i will keep unmentioned because it will spoil things for some), he will travel the world in order to find himself, something that didn't exactly happen in Smallville. On top of that, a spoiler I mentioned two pages back suggests that Kal-EL's birth will be very unique on Krypton, and rumours are that plays a big factor into possibly Krypton's destruction, his birth-parents death, and why Zod his after him.

As a huge Superman fan, this is by far the most complex depiction of the character so far in films/TV shows.

BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 03:27 PM
The Reaper
Men of Mayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
Can I just say that the extremely black hair, the tough face, and the worn/lizard skin looking costume with dark colours make him look more like a villain than a hero to someone who knows nothing about Superman (I know that pretty much everyone knows Superman but just saying)? I'm not criticizing it, looks neat but just found it interesting.
Kinda looks like Batman's suit but with a "S" on it

The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 03:31 PM
BlackStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
Fair enough, yet I like that, it's an alien suit after all, it should look that way.

Old
04-19-2013, 03:34 PM
BlackStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viper View Post
Kinda looks like Batman's suit but with a "S" on it
How? I don't see any resemblance. Let's also not forget that every superhero costume is influenced by Superman's original suit. This is simply an updated/modern version of Superman's original suit.

Old
04-19-2013, 06:44 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
And then Marvel acquires the rights to Superman tomorrow...

"Well...he's not that emo. I...I...kinda like it..."
Yeah, it is funny you don't hear him saying the same stuff about the new Iron man movie. That trailer looks pretty damn emo to me.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 06:47 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
Man of Steel's Clark Kent will however be much more troubled ...
What do you mean "troubled"? I've been assured on this very thread that this interpretation of Superman is going to be wall to wall sunshine and light.

I don't want a troubled Superman. I want an arse-kicking do-gooder.

EDIT: Yes, Iron Man is just as bad.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:06 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
I guess every bearded, scruffy herder, boatman is as emo as you describe them to be then. To say that it's gray is to grossly oversimplify the colour scheme of the film, there are points in the film where there is one hue for certain scenes (blue for Lois/Kal-El interrogation, black for Metropolis' destruction), but there are also some colourful scenes. It's certainly not to the extent that Nolan took with his Batman series where the majority of his scenes were black/gray with very little colour involved.

Moreover, you're also grossly oversimplifying as assuming that he's even emo to begin with: There is a journey motif at work, and his journey is one where he finds out his Kryptonian roots. But, because he's very different from humans he's always seen as the outcast. Can you really and feasibly expect an outcast to just be happy-go-lucky about being a hero when he has no clue what he is? Additionally, remember when Jor-El said "Goodbye my son, our hopes and dreams travel with you" & "You will give Earth an ideal to strive towards. They will stumble, they will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun"? This implies that Jor-El left a purpose for Kal-El, but how can we expect a young Kal-El to know this?

Hence, when he finds the Fortress of Solitude/goes on his Kryptonian genealogy journey, that will open the path for Kal-El to realize his parents' (and Krypton's) hopes and dreams and become the shining beacon of hope for Earth. And that to me sounds more positive than a "hurr durr I can shot ice from my mouth, I will save you peepuls."
Did you just spoil the whole movie?

Old
04-20-2013, 12:08 AM
JS19
Four Kicks

Quote:
Did you just spoil the whole movie?
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the direction they're taking (made easier when you're exposed to the Superman mythos and the plethora of canons within the Superman mythos), especially if you deconstruct what Jor-El, Jonathan Kent, and Kal-El says in that trailer.

Though, I'm surprised you're not lambasting Iron Man 3 for doing a similar set-up to their storyline. The trailer basically set up Tony Stark as an emotional figure: he has to look after his love interest, and being an iconic superhero is going to threaten that romantic fabric he shares with Pepper Potts. Moreover, he is also tormented and wonders if the suit makes the man, or if the man makes the suit. Does that mean Tony Stark is an emo then based on your logic? No, it makes Stark human (and we already saw this with Iron Man 2 when Stark was poisoned by his own palladium arc reactor core, until he created a new element to upgrade his arc reactor). Which is refreshing really, considering not many comic book films really go in-depth on what being a superhero means to the affected human, and they really bastardized the whole concept of "I'm a superhero, **** can't happen to me."

Last edited by JS19: 04-20-2013 at 01:44 AM.
Old
04-20-2013, 02:47 AM
JetsAlternate

Quote:

His teenage soundtrack?

I've always thought Five For Fighting was a pretty decent musician; it's the stage name for one guy, not a band, in reference to a fighting major in hockey. He used to blog occasionally for ESPN about the NHL. Always thought "The Riddle" and "100 Years" were strong songs. He's perhaps a bit underrated.

Last edited by JetsAlternate: 04-20-2013 at 03:02 AM.
JetsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 08:02 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the direction they're taking (made easier when you're exposed to the Superman mythos and the plethora of canons within the Superman mythos), especially if you deconstruct what Jor-El, Jonathan Kent, and Kal-El says in that trailer.

Though, I'm surprised you're not lambasting Iron Man 3 for doing a similar set-up to their storyline. The trailer basically set up Tony Stark as an emotional figure: he has to look after his love interest, and being an iconic superhero is going to threaten that romantic fabric he shares with Pepper Potts. Moreover, he is also tormented and wonders if the suit makes the man, or if the man makes the suit. Does that mean Tony Stark is an emo then based on your logic? No, it makes Stark human (and we already saw this with Iron Man 2 when Stark was poisoned by his own palladium arc reactor core, until he created a new element to upgrade his arc reactor). Which is refreshing really, considering not many comic book films really go in-depth on what being a superhero means to the affected human, and they really bastardized the whole concept of "I'm a superhero, **** can't happen to me."
No, he doesn't start moping around growing a beard, listening to Radiohead, and become a fisherman. The first trailer mentioned how he's had trouble sleeping since New York, where he almost died, so it's sort of understandable that when such an arrogant or big ego type person as Tony Stark is reminded of his mortality or place in the universe that it will have life changing repercussions. The subsequent trailers also implied that his core reactor might be giving him some new powers or something.

Old
04-20-2013, 09:48 AM
JD12

Also where is everyone seeing this full version of the movie before it comes out. I mean I only assume people have already seen it and aren't speculating on the entirety of the movie based on a couple 3 minute trailers. I mean there's another villain in the film if you've been following it at all that has a pretty massive impact that I think maybe shows up for less than a second in the last trailer. Trailer's are supposed to build hype not tell you the entire story and if you think you can grasp what the entire movie will be like based on trailers and the Producer's name attached to it then you'll miss a lot of good movies.

Last edited by JeffMangum: 04-20-2013 at 01:10 PM.
JD12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 11:19 AM
JS19
Four Kicks

Quote:
No, he doesn't start moping around growing a beard, listening to Radiohead, and become a fisherman. The first trailer mentioned how he's had trouble sleeping since New York, where he almost died, so it's sort of understandable that when such an arrogant or big ego type person as Tony Stark is reminded of his mortality or place in the universe that it will have life changing repercussions. The subsequent trailers also implied that his core reactor might be giving him some new powers or something.
Like I said earlier, you are incredibly dense if you think what you just said is a great indicator of "emo-ness." It's like saying you're of minority descent, listen to eminem, and wear gang colours, therefore you must be a criminal.

Quote:
(Nolan) Fanboys gonna fap, sceptics gonna wait and see.
The director is Zack Snyder and Nolan has been on the record saying that it's not his film so it won't be similar how he made BB/TDK/R, nor have any of his styles (and it wouldn't have anyways...since Superman is a completely different character). There are so many creative differences in the trailer too that reminds people of Snyder's style rather than Nolan, but if you want to be delusional and crap on Nolan, go ahead. I honestly think you just hate anything named "Nolan."

Last edited by JS19: 04-20-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old
04-20-2013, 01:06 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
The director is Zack Snyder and Nolan has been on the record saying that it's not his film so it won't be similar how he made BB/TDK/R, nor have any of his styles (and it wouldn't have anyways...since Superman is a completely different character). There are so many creative differences in the trailer too that reminds people of Snyder's style rather than Nolan, but if you want to be delusional and crap on Nolan, go ahead. I honestly think you just hate anything named "Nolan."
Have you read this thread at all? It didn't take long before the Nolanites took this movie as their own. The fact that Zack Snyder is directing this seems to have gone past their ears/eyes or minds. Note that I don't have anything against Nolan, just the unfounded worshiping of anything that bares his name. I'm still bitter about the way his Batman trilogy turned out towards the end(as in straying away far too much of my image of what Batman should be like).

Old
04-20-2013, 06:10 PM
JS19
Four Kicks

Quote:
Have you read this thread at all? It didn't take long before the Nolanites took this movie as their own. The fact that Zack Snyder is directing this seems to have gone past their ears/eyes or minds. Note that I don't have anything against Nolan, just the unfounded worshiping of anything that bares his name. I'm still bitter about the way his Batman trilogy turned out towards the end(as in straying away far too much of my image of what Batman should be like).
I admit that it's aggravating that they (Nolanites) treat this as Nolan's film rather than Snyder's (even though Snyder's doing a pretty damn good job with what I've seen so far). The Batman trilogy wasn't so bad for what Nolan brought to the table, but it would be insane to say that it wasn't riddled with flaws (same goes for any film).

Old
04-21-2013, 01:30 AM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Worshiping? People like his work. What's the problem, here?

ArGarBarGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 01:55 AM
le_sean

Quote:
For all we know he's off being a fisherman and wandering because his secret was nearly revealed and he's laying low. You're assuming he's troubled, perhaps he's just hiding.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 09:20 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
For all we know he's off being a fisherman and wandering because his secret was nearly revealed and he's laying low. You're assuming he's troubled, perhaps he's just hiding.
From the description and the trailers, it seems to me the fisherman's friend stage is before he goes to Metropolis possibly or becomes Superman.