HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Man of Steel

Old
04-25-2013, 09:45 PM
JS19
Four Kicks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
was that luthor his suit in the trailer?
It looks more like General Zod given the pattern of the battle armor.

JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 11:51 PM
BlackStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
I mean in Superman films. I know there's very little "new" to done in way of plot in superhero movies that hasn't been done mythology/other films before but there's a lot of stuff they haven't done in Superman movies. E.g. I'd like to see the evil/mad scientist/genius version of Luthor that I got used to seeing in the comics in early 80's (the Curt Swan era).
Lex Luthor has been in 4 out of 5 Superman films, but you would consider it "new" in a superman film if the film showcased the mad scientist version of Luthor. Yet, you do not consider it new in a superman film when the film showcases a new version of Zod, Krypton, Jor-EL, Superman's costume, Superman's background/origins, theme, etc..?

Come on man.

BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:15 AM
JS19
Four Kicks

Just thought I'd forward some interesting comments from David Goyer in reddit (had a question session that was pretty cool).

Quote:
[–]courtFTW 42 points 8 hours ago
Does everyone involved with Man of Steel feel a lot of pressure because of all the hype surrounding it?
[–]iamdavidsgoyer[S] 104 points 8 hours ago
Sure, there's a ton of pressure surrounding Man of Steel. WB has a lot riding on it - not just the Superman franchise, but the future of DC movies. More importantly, I think Zack, myself, Henry -- we just really want to give the fans the Superman film they deserve. The kind of Superman film I dreamed about making since I saw the first Donner film. I HOPE people like it as much as we do. Knock on wood.

[–]oliver_tate 12 points 7 hours ago
Which comics were your biggest inspiration for Man of Steel?
And thank you for making the DC movies we deserve, The Dark Knight trilogy was amazing and im hoping Man of Steel blows us away even more so we can get that ****ing Justice League movie going!
[–]iamdavidsgoyer[S] 40 points 7 hours ago
In order for a Justice League film to happen, MOS has to be successful. That's up to you guys and about 80 million other people.

[–]DerfelMacklin 10 points 8 hours ago
Was John Byrne's Krypton an influence on your approach? Getting that vibe from some imagery and interviews. Miller, Loeb, and Brubaker were pretty key influences on the Dark Knight trilogy. What runs/stories would say are similar touchstones for Man of Steel?
[–]iamdavidsgoyer[S] 23 points 7 hours ago
Byrne's Krypton was definitely an influence, but not the only influence. Was also influenced by Alan Moore's stuff. All Star Superman. Geoff Johns' stuff. Even the old Curt Swan stuff.

[–]jandsb_fan 72 points 7 hours ago
Can we really trust Zach for a justice league movie?
[–]iamdavidsgoyer[S] 149 points 7 hours ago
Zack did an incredible job on MOS. Chris and I were both blown away by what he did. I am very proud to be associated with what he's come up with.
If you'd like to see the thread for other Goyer-related works, here you go: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...tive_producer/

Pretty interesting for the most part

Old
04-26-2013, 12:31 AM
BlackStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
Just thought I'd forward some interesting comments from David Goyer in reddit (had a question session that was pretty cool).

If you'd like to see the thread for other Goyer-related works, here you go: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...tive_producer/

Pretty interesting for the most part
Fantastic stuff man! I'm surprised by how open he was. Judging by the overwhelmingly positive response from virtually every group of people, this film will be a success both critically and commercially. Box Office Mojo predicted that the film will make at-least 300 million domestically, that would be fantastic, as it would likely make atleast 400 million overseas. Yet, i wouldn't be surprised if the film performs somewhat similar to the last Bond film.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:18 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

So I thought I'd speculate. If I remember correctly, in the comics, all the Kryptonite on earth arrived after it was dragged in the wake of Superman's ship. The trailer has that shot of meteors hitting Lexcorp. I wonder if that's chunks of Krypton arriving in the wake of Zod's ship? Pretty unlucky for Superman if so, since Lex would have a pretty good supply of the stuff on hand . It would also explain how Luthor manages to keep a pretty good stash of the stuff.

04-26-2013, 02:08 AM
BlackStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
So I thought I'd speculate. If I remember correctly, in the comics, all the Kryptonite on earth arrived after it was dragged in the wake of Superman's ship. The trailer has that shot of meteors hitting Lexcorp. I wonder if that's chunks of Krypton arriving in the wake of Zod's ship? Pretty unlucky for Superman if so, since Lex would have a pretty good supply of the stuff on hand . It would also explain how Luthor manages to keep a pretty good stash of the stuff.
Good thoughts. Snyder has already mentioned that there will be no kryptonite in this film, but with Luthor likely being atleast one of the villains in part 2, you could be right.

Old
04-26-2013, 09:00 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
Lex Luthor has been in 4 out of 5 Superman films, but you would consider it "new" in a superman film if the film showcased the mad scientist version of Luthor. Yet, you do not consider it new in a superman film when the film showcases a new version of Zod, Krypton, Jor-EL, Superman's costume, Superman's background/origins, theme, etc..?

Come on man.
I've seen the sen the business man Luthor far too much in Smallville and movies and Zod as well. I haven't seen the evil scientist version of Luthor in any live action form.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 04:04 PM
BlackStar

Quote:
Here’s the album track list (might contain spoilers!):

]
Spoil:
1. Look To The Stars
2. Oil Rig
3. Sent Here For A Reason
4. DNA
5. Goodbye My Son
6. If You Love These People
7. Krypton’s Last
8. Terraforming
9. Tornado
10. You Die Or I Do
11. Launch
12. Ignition
13. I Will Find Him
14. This Is Clark Kent
15. I Have So Many Questions
16. Flight
17. What Are You Going To Do When You Are Not Saving The World?
18. Man Of Steel (Hans’ Original Sketchbook)

Additional tracks on Deluxe Edition:

Are You Listening, Clark?
General Zod
You Led Us Here
This Is Madness
Earth
Arcade
http://filmmusicreporter.com/2013/04...track-details/

Old
04-26-2013, 09:59 PM
JS19
Four Kicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
That would be really awesome considering that Birthright took the exact same route that you speculated, where Kryptonite wasn't revealed until Lex further explored it and realized that it could work to harm Superman (and also acted as a portal of information about Kal-El's history...but I really doubt that a weakness would provide more information).

Quite frankly, I like that we won't be getting Kryptonite (at least until maybe the sequel), and instead we're going to see Superman's humanity exploited as a weakness. It's underwhelming to a god-tier character like Superman to be weakened by a remnant of his home planet.

Old
04-27-2013, 11:12 PM
JS19
Four Kicks

"My father believed that if the world found out who I really was, they'd reject me... out of fear. He was convinced that the world wasn't ready. What do you think?"

I should say...this quote is interesting because the arguments and interpretations put forth that I've read is quite interesting as well. I've seen some nice interpretation of that being Jor-El who tried to shield Kal-El from being an outsider (especially seen in Lara Lor-Van's fears in trailer #3). But I don't think Clark says father to refer to his biological father Jor-El, but rather Jonathan Kent because of a) Jonathan Kent especially shows concerns about Clark Kent using his powers, in fact it even gets to the point where he would rather Clark not do anything because he'd attract too much attention. Jor-El on the other hand, seems to show interest in making Kal-El the saviour to prove a point about how society may not need genetically enhanced people that only serve one purpose (for a lack of a better term...and that is IF Man of Steel is based on the whole "Kal-El's birth as illegal and against the very norms and expectation of Krypton"). Why would Jor-El want to shield his son if he knew he can become something greater? It wouldn't make sense especially since he does say that he wants Kal-El to be that greater ideal to the people of Earth.

b) Let's not forget. In what may seem to be a realistic setting, Jonathan and Martha Kent shielded the product of the meteor shower (Kal-El and the rocket ship) from the entire world. So to everyone else, it just looks like your typical meteor shower. To them, if Clark Kent exhibited other-worldly powers to everyone else, people will be afraid to see one man have such power and they have no clue whether Superman/Alien is on their side or not (hence why we have so much military attention on Superman). It's understandable why they would be afraid that their "son," would be tortured in their world. Then you also have the scene where Clark considers Jonathan his father because that's all he's ever known, he likely has no recollection of Jor-El and doesn't even know that Jor-El is his biological father. As a famous youtube comment once said "He’s not Superman because he’s indestructible and can fly. He’s Superman because of a good man and woman from Kansas loved their son." But at the end of the day, it's Superman's decision to make. He must undertake the journey to understand his past so that he can become an ideal of hope for the future.

Old
04-29-2013, 09:09 AM
BlackStar

Quote:
"My father believed that if the world found out who I really was, they'd reject me... out of fear. He was convinced that the world wasn't ready. What do you think?"

I should say...this quote is interesting because the arguments and interpretations put forth that I've read is quite interesting as well. I've seen some nice interpretation of that being Jor-El who tried to shield Kal-El from being an outsider (especially seen in Lara Lor-Van's fears in trailer #3). But I don't think Clark says father to refer to his biological father Jor-El, but rather Jonathan Kent because of a) Jonathan Kent especially shows concerns about Clark Kent using his powers, in fact it even gets to the point where he would rather Clark not do anything because he'd attract too much attention. Jor-El on the other hand, seems to show interest in making Kal-El the saviour to prove a point about how society may not need genetically enhanced people that only serve one purpose (for a lack of a better term...and that is IF Man of Steel is based on the whole "Kal-El's birth as illegal and against the very norms and expectation of Krypton"). Why would Jor-El want to shield his son if he knew he can become something greater? It wouldn't make sense especially since he does say that he wants Kal-El to be that greater ideal to the people of Earth.

b) Let's not forget. In what may seem to be a realistic setting, Jonathan and Martha Kent shielded the product of the meteor shower (Kal-El and the rocket ship) from the entire world. So to everyone else, it just looks like your typical meteor shower. To them, if Clark Kent exhibited other-worldly powers to everyone else, people will be afraid to see one man have such power and they have no clue whether Superman/Alien is on their side or not (hence why we have so much military attention on Superman). It's understandable why they would be afraid that their "son," would be tortured in their world. Then you also have the scene where Clark considers Jonathan his father because that's all he's ever known, he likely has no recollection of Jor-El and doesn't even know that Jor-El is his biological father. As a famous youtube comment once said "He’s not Superman because he’s indestructible and can fly. He’s Superman because of a good man and woman from Kansas loved their son." But at the end of the day, it's Superman's decision to make. He must undertake the journey to understand his past so that he can become an ideal of hope for the future.
Great post! I especially loved the highlighted part.

Old
05-02-2013, 12:53 AM
JS19
Four Kicks

WB just released another TV Spot for Man of Steel (if you haven't already)

Old
05-02-2013, 10:23 AM
BlackStar

Quote:
WB just released another TV Spot for Man of Steel (if you haven't already)

That soundtrack! Atleast as couple of potential spoilers in that tv spot:

Spoil:
1. Clark is screaming at the 0:22 mark because his Jonathan Kent is dying/dead in the aftermath of as tornado.

2. At the 0:24 mark,the figure on the right looks like Jor-El. If I am correct, this could be towards the end of the film when Superman sends news back in time to his biological parents (through kryptonian technology) that "he made it to Earth", which would be taken from the comic Superman: Birthright:

Old
05-02-2013, 10:21 PM
JS19
Four Kicks

Quote:
That soundtrack! Atleast as couple of potential spoilers in that tv spot:

Spoil:
1. Clark is screaming at the 0:22 mark because his Jonathan Kent is dying/dead in the aftermath of as tornado.

2. At the 0:24 mark,the figure on the right looks like Jor-El. If I am correct, this could be towards the end of the film when Superman sends news back in time to his biological parents (through kryptonian technology) that "he made it to Earth", which would be taken from the comic Superman: Birthright:
Spoil:
1. I wholeheartedly agree. I think it'll be that fork on the road event where Clark hides himself from the world, but the moment he sees his father (Jonathan Kent) die, he may realize that he could've done something to stop it. If that's the case, then it's gonna touch on Birthright/Secret Identity, where Clark realizes that humans are more courageous than he actually is due to their vulnerabilities.

2. I agree, the figure on the right looks a lot like Jor-El (through the back shoulder of the Kryptonian garment that he wears, the brownish hair, and the beard). It would be a nice touch if it was Kal-El delivering news that his life on Earth is a success. Would also be a touching moment for the audience. The closest to that moment (should it ever be true), would be TDKR's ending where Bruce reveals himself to Alfred as finally having a normal life.

Old
05-03-2013, 08:53 AM
BlackStar

Quote:
Spoil:
1. I wholeheartedly agree. I think it'll be that fork on the road event where Clark hides himself from the world, but the moment he sees his father (Jonathan Kent) die, he may realize that he could've done something to stop it. If that's the case, then it's gonna touch on Birthright/Secret Identity, where Clark realizes that humans are more courageous than he actually is due to their vulnerabilities.

2. I agree, the figure on the right looks a lot like Jor-El (through the back shoulder of the Kryptonian garment that he wears, the brownish hair, and the beard). It would be a nice touch if it was Kal-El delivering news that his life on Earth is a success. Would also be a touching moment for the audience. The closest to that moment (should it ever be true), would be TDKR's ending where Bruce reveals himself to Alfred as finally having a normal life.
Spoil:
I actually hope that it's quite the opposite; he couldn't save him. The previous trailer show us that during the tornado, Clark saves numerous people, so very likely, Jonathan died because he urged Clark to save others instead of his dad(who may have very likely been helping Clark save others too), as a result Jonathan dies, possibly from a heart-attack.

I'd love this because it would remind Clark and the audience that as powerful as Clark is, he cannot save everyone, especially death by natural causes(if they choose to go with the heart-attack), and this is something that should greatly grieve Clark, not just the loss of his dad, but the contant reminder that he cannot save everyone. For every 100 he saves, many others will not be saved, no matter how many Americans he saves, he cannot save others in the world, despite his powers; he cannot save everyone. This would also help "sell" Superman to the audience, many of whom believe that Superman is too "powerful".

Superman will be Superman in the film, he should be someone we want to be, but he should also be someone we pity, being Superman isn't easy, he doesn't need sleep, so why sleep when he can save many at night time? He doesn't necessarily need food either, so why eat when he can use his money to feed the poor? I'd like for them to explore all this in the film, or it's sequels.

Old
05-03-2013, 07:09 PM
JS19
Four Kicks

Quote:
Spoil:
I actually hope that it's quite the opposite; he couldn't save him. The previous trailer show us that during the tornado, Clark saves numerous people, so very likely, Jonathan died because he urged Clark to save others instead of his dad(who may have very likely been helping Clark save others too), as a result Jonathan dies, possibly from a heart-attack.

I'd love this because it would remind Clark and the audience that as powerful as Clark is, he cannot save everyone, especially death by natural causes(if they choose to go with the heart-attack), and this is something that should greatly grieve Clark, not just the loss of his dad, but the contant reminder that he cannot save everyone. For every 100 he saves, many others will not be saved, no matter how many Americans he saves, he cannot save others in the world, despite his powers; he cannot save everyone. This would also help "sell" Superman to the audience, many of whom believe that Superman is too "powerful".

Superman will be Superman in the film, he should be someone we want to be, but he should also be someone we pity, being Superman isn't easy, he doesn't need sleep, so why sleep when he can save many at night time? He doesn't necessarily need food either, so why eat when he can use his money to feed the poor? I'd like for them to explore all this in the film, or it's sequels.
Spoil:
When you put it that way, that sounds absolutely fantastic and fits the kind of Superman that Nolan-Goyer want to build. Since it's especially tough to get the audience to relate to Superman when he is just so damn powerful. I can't believe I overlooked this because that was also in Birthright, when Clark found that he was unable to save Kobe from being assassinated. It should definitely put the audience in an uneasy position that possessing superpowers won't be easy.

Old
05-04-2013, 04:13 PM
Andy

The less the movie is like the avengers, the better it will be. What a corny and awful movie that was.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 04:31 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
The less the movie is like the avengers, the better it will be. What a corny and awful movie that was.

Old
05-04-2013, 04:44 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
What?

ArGarBarGar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 06:40 PM
theotis77

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArGarBarGar View Post
What?
It's a running joke. Only on HFBoards will you find a movie with a 93% positive score on Rotten Tomatoes and the third highest grossing film of all time referred to as "awful".

The Entertainment board has a high percentage of people stumbling over themselves to show how "non-mainstream" they are, just because something is popular.

theotis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 07:10 PM
Habsfan22100

Quote:
Originally Posted by theotis77 View Post
It's a running joke. Only on HFBoards will you find a movie with a 93% positive score on Rotten Tomatoes and the third highest grossing film of all time referred to as "awful".

The Entertainment board has a high percentage of people stumbling over themselves to show how "non-mainstream" they are, just because something is popular.
So just because it made tons of money and has a good RT %, he can't think it's bad? I guess that means we're supposed to think Avatar is a good movie?

Habsfan22100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 07:41 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan22100 View Post
So just because it made tons of money and has a good RT %, he can't think it's bad? I guess that means we're supposed to think Avatar is a good movie?
It's the old HFBoards mantra, "just because it was liked by critics and the general population and made a billion and a half at the box office, doesn't meant that it's any good." Feel free to replace movie with championship winning teams/countries or individual athletes and apply in other sections. Breathing, drinking and eating are soon to be added to that list.

Old
05-04-2013, 07:49 PM
Habsfan22100

Quote:
It's the old HFBoards mantra, "just because it was liked by critics and the general population and made a billion and a half at the box office, doesn't meant that it's any good." Feel free to replace movie with championship winning teams/countries or individual athletes and apply in other sections.
Are you really comparing movies and sports? Sports can be subjective to a degree, but a winning team is a winning team and nobody can deny that.

By that logic, we should all think Argo was the best movie of 2012 right? Because it did actually win something...

Habsfan22100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 07:58 PM
theotis77

Quote:
You can think it was overrated, over-hyped, not enjoyed it much yourself, etc. But "awful", "worst movie of all time," and all the other idiotic stuff that's said here about anything that's hugely popular? Sorry, that's just desperately trying to be an HFBoards Hipster™.

theotis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 07:58 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Are you really comparing movies and sports? Sports can be subjective to a degree, but a winning team is a winning team and nobody can deny that.

By that logic, we should all think Argo was the best movie of 2012 right? Because it did actually win something...
Logic has no place at HFBoards, hence the running joke. I didn't come up with it, this board did.