HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Man of Steel

Old
05-04-2013, 08:01 PM
Habsfan22100

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theotis77 View Post
You can think it was overrated, over-hyped, not enjoyed it much yourself, etc. But "awful", "worst movie of all time," and all the other idiotic stuff that's said here about anything that's hugely popular? Sorry, that's just desperately trying to be an HFBoards Hipster™.
Had someone actually said that it was the worst movie of all time I'd agree with you, but I don't see the big deal with him thinking it was awful.

Habsfan22100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 09:12 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
It's the old HFBoards mantra, "just because it was liked by critics and the general population and made a billion and a half at the box office, doesn't meant that it's any good." Feel free to replace movie with championship winning teams/countries or individual athletes and apply in other sections. Breathing, drinking and eating are soon to be added to that list.
Not everyone has to have your opinion. And if they don't have your opinion you don't have to constantly chime in and knock what they like and defend what they don't like.

ArGarBarGar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 09:27 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArGarBarGar View Post
Not everyone has to have your opinion. And if they don't have your opinion you don't have to constantly chime in and knock what they like and defend what they don't like.
That's preposterous! Clearly you haven't been here long enough to understand my opinion is always the right one.

Obviously not.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 09:30 PM
Beau Knows
Captain Canada

Avengers was alright, it was fun but shallow. I have high hopes for Man of Steel though, despite the fact that I don't care for Superman.

Beau Knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 04:03 PM
Daniel Plainview

That's twice now, I've seen a movie at a theater recently and they played an older Man Of Steel trailer, instead of that newest one. Really disappointed in that. I think the third trailer is fantastic and I was at a 3-D IMAX show. Would have been great to see it all big and loud

Things been out at least a month and the older trailer isn't half as well put together, IMO. They really need to get the newer trailer in the theaters

Daniel Plainview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 06:35 PM
Sharpshooter1

vCash: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau Knows View Post
Avengers was alright, it was fun but shallow. I have high hopes for Man of Steel though, despite the fact that I don't care for Superman.
That's because the Superman story/character has been completely ********* into a Jesus type caricature. Society has evolved from the faux goody-two shoes of the previous century and has accepted that life and people are more complex than the good guy vs bad guy notion of things. Hopefully Superman is able to evolve alongside most of us. This is why flawed heros like ironman are doing so well as movies, imo

Sharpshooter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 04:56 PM
BlackStar

New Man of Steel TV Spot:

BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 05:30 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

I'm not taking any more chances of getting too spoiled by all these trailers and tv spots.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:19 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

TV Spot 4

New MAN OF STEEL TV Spot Reveals Awesome New Footage

http://collider.com/man-of-steel-tv-spot-henry-cavill/

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 06:39 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
The latest trailer, saw it before Iron Man 3, finally has me more interested in this movie. Willing to give it a go and much more confident it will be a better movie then the last one.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 11:02 PM
JS19
Four Kicks

Fate of Your Planet Trailer

It's quite intense

(and has some spoilers, but if you've seen the TV spots and the General Zod viral trailer then there's like 5-10% new material)

Last edited by JS19: 05-22-2013 at 11:36 AM. Reason: error
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 12:53 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

If he goes to the Himalayas and gets ninja training, I'm walking out.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 01:18 AM
XX
SOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
Fate of Your World Trailer

It's quite intense
Looks pretty stylish and dark. Exactly what I thought a Snyder/Nolan movie would look like. This trailer seems tonally opposite of what the previous ones have been implying. I'll wait to see what the reviews are like.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 01:35 AM
JS19
Four Kicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Looks pretty stylish and dark. Exactly what I thought a Snyder/Nolan movie would look like. This trailer seems tonally opposite of what the previous ones have been implying. I'll wait to see what the reviews are like.
The only Nolan influence really is that story/writing aspect of the film (in conjunction with David S. Goyer), and making us think about the character in ways that the previous contributions never did, or never went far enough in. It's not necessarily dark like Bale's Batman, but we do get a chance to see how vulnerable and human Kal-El really is despite his gifts. You see this in some of the trailer where Kal-El agonizes over (what appears to be) lost lives, and in some scenes really has a controlled rage aura about him (and in some cases, uncontrollable, such as when he just flatout loses his mind and unleashes heat vision from nowhere). I like that it's taking an in-depth exploration of Superman as not immune to the frailties of humanity, as Henry Cavill puts it.

The only reason that this would be the tonal opposite is because we're getting more Kal-El vs. Zod moments. As opposed to the first three trailers, where the focus was on how the film would attempt to build up the origins of Kal-El/Clark Kent. Now, we're getting to the crux of the action and understanding the climax of the film, and what Zod's motivations may be. As well as seeing what happens when Kal-El rises to become what Jor-El sought for him (Faora's "You will not win. For every human you save we will kill a million more" quote is especially damning considering his actions can't always result in happy-go-lucky positive moments).

Old
05-22-2013, 03:13 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

I'm afraid of them giving him too much of the Hulk treatment.

Old
05-22-2013, 03:15 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

It can't be darker than this :

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 04:31 AM
leeaf83

Send a message via ICQ to leeaf83 Send a message via Yahoo to leeaf83
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
I'm afraid of them giving him too much of the Hulk treatment.
assuming you're talking about the 2003 version, I had the same concerns you did. That being said there's enough hope that it wont go that hope.
-the presence of a villain (general Zod)
-the fact that hopefully the crew realizes we already had 9-10 seasons of smallville and wont want an entire film of pre-Superman Clark Kent
-the obvious fact that most of the successful superhero origin films (Batman Begins, Amazing spider-man, Iron Man) have the alter ego suit up roughly halfway through the film.

I too am not a fan of Superman in the comics (or for that matter his previous films), I find him to be rather shallow; his only weakness is Kryptonite. I prefer the Green Lantern as he's more vulnerable, has more of an edgy personality as opposed to a nerdy do-gooder, and more creativity with his constructs.

leeaf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 11:35 AM
JS19
Four Kicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaf83 View Post
assuming you're talking about the 2003 version, I had the same concerns you did. That being said there's enough hope that it wont go that hope.
-the fact that hopefully the crew realizes we already had 9-10 seasons of smallville and wont want an entire film of pre-Superman Clark Kent
-the obvious fact that most of the successful superhero origin films (Batman Begins, Amazing spider-man, Iron Man) have the alter ego suit up roughly halfway through the film.

I too am not a fan of Superman in the comics (or for that matter his previous films), I find him to be rather shallow; his only weakness is Kryptonite. I prefer the Green Lantern as he's more vulnerable, has more of an edgy personality as opposed to a nerdy do-gooder, and more creativity with his constructs.
Smallville has nothing to do with this film. Comic book movies like MoS and the MCU attempt to create a universe that is separate and isolated from universes that have been created by other media. So you can't really create a new universe without first telling the origin story, thus it is a necessary evil. (For that same reason people hated Batman Begins, for being an origin story when we already had Batman 1989-onwards).

I expect that Kal-El will suit up about halfway. This of course comes after he learns of his true origins. (And it's implied that the film doesn't follow in a linear pathway. What I mean is that in the 2nd trailer to MoS, you see Kal-El look at the bus and he has memories of saving the kids in the bus). And based on what the trailers have shown, it looks to be extremely awesome (just don't pull off an IM3 please ).

Old
05-22-2013, 11:38 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

The best movie of all time? I'm sorry-but MOS looks absolutely sick. If they can sustain that kind of action through most of the film we're in great shape. I can't wait!

Rabid Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 10:30 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
It can't be darker than this :

you're right...he's drinking red label. No self respecting man should be caught drinking that stuff. This is the darkest timeline.

USC Trojans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 11:00 PM
JetsAlternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans View Post
you're right...he's drinking red label. No self respecting man should be caught drinking that stuff. This is the darkest timeline.
Alcohol doesn't do anything to him, does it?

JetsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 11:05 PM
Kadri 4 Hart

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
Fate of Your Planet Trailer

It's quite intense

(and has some spoilers, but if you've seen the TV spots and the General Zod viral trailer then there's like 5-10% new material)
This looks amazing, and I've never watched a Superman movie or read any of the comics.

Kadri 4 Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 09:06 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Michael Shannon is going to rock this ****. Such gravitas.....

Rabid Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 12:32 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaf83 View Post

More like the whole "I'm a misunderstood monster" approach. The struggle for understanding his role is fine, but I really hope he doesn't do this big fight with Zod and then he's "on the run" because people are still afraid of him. The appealing thing about Superman is that he's so good. He's not a shade of gray and sometimes that is just enjoyable rather than every character needing to be undefined.

Old
05-25-2013, 10:30 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

From the trailers it doesn't look like people turn on him but that he turns himself in first so people don't get hurt and then Zod still tries to concur anyways.

They key to this movie is balancing the action with the character development interaction and how they pace it.

Now that Star Trek is over, the excitement and anticipation of this movie is beginning. Only a few weeks away.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote