HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Man of Steel

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-25-2013, 11:33 AM
  #451
Takeo
Registered User
 
Takeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 19,212
vCash: 500
Some elements of this look interesting. But those huge battle scenes and CGI fireworks look cheesy as hell. Oh and a big ship hovering over the city?? Yawn. At least the end of the new trailer sounds like "The Grudge" by Tool. Credit for that.

Takeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 01:13 AM
  #452
JS19
Four Kicks
 
JS19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Shark Tank
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
Some elements of this look interesting. But those huge battle scenes and CGI fireworks look cheesy as hell. Oh and a big ship hovering over the city?? Yawn. At least the end of the new trailer sounds like "The Grudge" by Tool. Credit for that.
A comic book movie with fantasy and sci-fi properties is allowed to be over the top. Were you expecting Zod and co. to terraform Earth by using marionette puppets and toothpicks? Get on with the times instead of *****ing about common CGI cinematics.

JS19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 08:56 AM
  #453
theotis77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,018
vCash: 500
Ah, I see you're not familiar with Takeo.

theotis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 11:44 AM
  #454
Takeo
Registered User
 
Takeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 19,212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
A comic book movie with fantasy and sci-fi properties is allowed to be over the top. Were you expecting Zod and co. to terraform Earth by using marionette puppets and toothpicks? Get on with the times instead of *****ing about common CGI cinematics.
This is such a silly argument, although very typical. Sort of like when people apologize for shallow popcorn action movies by saying "well it's a popcorn action movie, it doesn't need a plot." The point here is that a popcorn action movie, or in this case "terraforming" earth, can be done.....wait for it......well. Imagine that?

Takeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 12:50 PM
  #455
JS19
Four Kicks
 
JS19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Shark Tank
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,358
vCash: 500
Perhaps you need to bump your reading comprehension skills, because there was nothing in what I just said that was “apologizing” for Man of Steel’s ability to be over the top. Especially considering that other trailers do show that there is plot at work for not only Clark's origins, but Zod's intentions as well. God forbid we get a trailer that highlights some action for once. And if anything, I was actually addressing is your insane bias/hatred/whatever you want to call it for the superhero/comic book genre and the use of CGI. I mean just look at these posts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
Looks pretty cheesy. Reminds me of the last Indiana Jones film. These superhero movies need to stop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
God these comic book/super hero movies are nauseating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
There needs to be a running total of Jussi posts in this thread. Sort of like the body count in Hot Shots Part Deux.

As for the film, I'm being told by normal people that it's a typical summer, run of the mill superhero film. Which is what I figured.
One has to wonder if you actually had a superhero flick that you liked…? And seriously…? calling the Avengers typical run of the mill superhero film without actually seeing it or taking note of the box office records/critical acclaims, you just lost all credibility (especially since you had to depend on what others said...).

What’s especially hilarious is that you say “it can be done well” especially when you haven’t even seen the entire movie to even make a legitimate critique of the movie effects, so at this point, you’re talking out of your ass. And it appears Man of Steel is not the only thread to have been blessed with your hatred. I’ve seen you in just about EVERY superhero thread since The Avengers last year (and Captain America before that) is bash the fact that it’s a superhero movie rather than constructively criticize.

Get rid of the whole superhero movies suck bias/hate. Try to be objective, and then maybe, me and a lot of other posters here would take you more seriously. Because quite frankly, you’re acting like a Grumpy Cat in a lot of superhero threads.


Last edited by JS19: 05-27-2013 at 06:14 PM.
JS19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 01:55 PM
  #456
karnige
Real Life FTL
 
karnige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Trinidad and Tobago
Posts: 13,206
vCash: 500
superman is 100% lame ass cheese. the movie will be good as he grows up and figures out who he is. when he becomes the man of steel the movie will suck mooseballs. watch......

karnige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 02:31 PM
  #457
Treefingers
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Treefingers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,482
vCash: 500
Yeah, I really wouldn't bother responding to Takeo.

Treefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 11:50 AM
  #458
theotis77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
This is such a silly argument, although very typical. Sort of like when people apologize for shallow popcorn action movies by saying "well it's a popcorn action movie, it doesn't need a plot." The point here is that a popcorn action movie, or in this case "terraforming" earth, can be done.....wait for it......well. Imagine that?
And you'd still do your hipster schtick about it.

theotis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 01:51 PM
  #459
Dado
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
A comic book movie with fantasy and sci-fi properties is allowed to be over the top. Were you expecting Zod and co. to terraform Earth by using marionette puppets and toothpicks? Get on with the times instead of *****ing about common CGI cinematics.
The problem is that it is in fact the opposite of "over the top" - it's just old and overdone, same-old, same-old.

  Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 06:22 PM
  #460
JS19
Four Kicks
 
JS19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Shark Tank
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
The problem is that it is in fact the opposite of "over the top" - it's just old and overdone, same-old, same-old.
The Old and Overdone argument would've made sense if we had a large sample of live action Superman films that had actually done the same thing. But this is only the second attempt in using Zod as a main villain, and even then it's providing a fresh take on the character in comparison to what we saw in Superman II...so I can't logically understand the old/overdone argument.

Unless, you're talking in a general cinematics manner. But even then, Superman is an alien, and the enemies he's facing are also alien...and knowing that they are also going to be superpowered freaks of nature why would we expect otherwise...? (To those who are going to suggest Lex Luthor...people are also bashing him for being a repetitive character, not that I disagree, but the old/overdone also applies to him. Pretty much sounds like damned if you do damned if you don't at this point).

JS19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 06:58 PM
  #461
Riseonfire
R+L=J
 
Riseonfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,140
vCash: 500
The fact that people click on a thread just to ***** about the topic seems just so silly to me. Don't like the promo's? Don't go to that thread....

Personally, I'm super excited to see this movie. I must have seen the old Superman movies 30+ times. Easily my favorite superhero (Superman Returns was tough to swallow).

I'm digging Zod as the bad guy. It'll let the world know Superman is on their side, then set up a possible Lex Luthor movie #2.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 08:12 PM
  #462
Dado
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
The Old and Overdone argument would've made sense if we had a large sample of live action Superman films that had actually done the same thing.
I appreciate what you're saying. That may matter to you, it doesn't matter to me. From my perspective all the superhero movies have become facsimiles of each other - the names change, the costume changes, but the plots are recycled and really, they're all pretty interchangeable.

But then I'm old enough to have been in the theatre for the very first Batman movie, so I can appreciate others may have an alternate perspective.

At the end of the day, if you enjoy it, you enjoy it - it's all good, and independent of how I feel.

  Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 11:48 PM
  #463
LiquidSnake*
Agent of Chaos...
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
At the end of the day, if you enjoy it, you enjoy it - it's all good, and independent of how I feel.
Boom. Nailed it.

To each their own. And yes, I'm looking forward to this movie.

LiquidSnake* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 10:11 AM
  #464
BlackStar
Registered User
 
BlackStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,373
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnige View Post
superman is 100% lame ass cheese. the movie will be good as he grows up and figures out who he is. when he becomes the man of steel the movie will suck mooseballs. watch......
Oh look, another clueless comic-book fan wannabe.

BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 02:00 AM
  #465
McSorleyStick
GIJON !
 
McSorleyStick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: 221B Baker Street
Posts: 17,145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Quote:
While many might think Warner Bros. asked Nolan and company to help Superman get made, the truth is, it was during a writing session on The Dark Knight Rises that the idea for Man of Steel was born. Goyer told us that while struggling with the third act of The Dark Knight Rises, Nolan suggested they take a week off to clear their heads. During the hiatus, Goyer happened to read a bunch of Superman comics and came up with an idea for a Superman movie and he wrote it down. When he met up with Nolan, he asked him if he had solved the third act problem. Goyer said he didn’t, but he thought he had come up with an interesting idea for a Superman movie. Nolan asked what it was, and as soon as Goyer finished explaining his idea, Nolan said he wanted to produce it and immediately got on the phone with the heads of WB, after which Nolan and Goyer went in and formally pitched the film. Needless to say, the studio immediately said yes, and they decided to scrap what they had been working on previously for a new Superman movie and Goyer started writing the screenplay for Man of Steel.
http://collider.com/man-of-steel-set-visit/


Goyer talked a lot about Nolan and Batman too - http://collider.com/david-s-goyer-ma...teel-interview
Quote:
Quote:
GOYER: Well, yeah, we were talking with them. It wasn’t like a mandate that we heard about that. Again, like I said, Chris approaches everything from the story. So, what’s right for the story? Chris said, “I can’t think of a possible reason why, for what we’re using the suit for in this movie, it would have underpants.” He said, “Can you?” I said, “No.” So that was where we started from. But it’s similar to — I had this experience when we were at DC where I said to Paul Levitz at the time, they call them scallops on Batman’s gauntlet. I pointed to a poster and I said, “What are those?” He said, “Oh they’re just design features.” Chris said, “Bulls**t.” He said, “There can’t be anything on Batman’s costume that’s a design feature.” He said, “Goyer, figure out something. ” So I said, “Okay, what if they’re metal gauntlets and he can use them both offensively and defensively to trap weapons?” Chris said, “Done.” So, but that’s sort of the way Chris approaches everything. He’ll never do anything just because it looks cool. There has to be a utility.

Quote:
Quote:
Did you ever solve that third act problem?

GOYER: Yes. We had the best ending of all time.

TDKR question for Roven:
Quote:
Quote:
I’d like to ask a Dark Knight Rises question. It basically says in the trailer, “This is the epic conclusion of The Dark Knight Rises.” Talk a little bit about, for you, looking on this whole thing, and s a worldwide phenomenon, are you sort of sad to see it ending? Talk about the mixed feelings on that. Also, what are your thoughts on the final installment? When you first heard the story of what they were going to do, what was your initial take?

ROVEN: You know, well, first of all, I was ecstatic that Chris agreed to finish the trilogy. That was by no means a foregone conclusion. That’s what I was saying earlier. Chris just never would talk about whether or not he would do a third until he finished the second. Then, for a really long time, he wouldn’t even really talk about that because he was totally focused on wanting to finish Inception and see if he could get that made, which obviously in hindsight goes, “Gee, who wouldn’t have made that movie?” But I can assure you, it wasn’t a slam dunk when he presented that script. The budget that it was at, even to the studio that made The Dark Knight, okay, it was an ambitious project, which just think about reading that script. That mind bending script had a really, really, really significant budget, right? We all know it was nine digits, right? So, but Chris was really focused on that. He really needed to have conversations with David for them to come up with what that third story would be. So, I didn’t know. I hoped it would happen. I was actually a fan in that respect. So, when they called up and said, “Hey, we think we’ve got something. We want to come over and talk about it.” I was ecstatic. Then, when I heard it, I was even more ecstatic because I just felt that it was the right way to go out. It’s important to go out the right way, to make the last one something that people are going to remember. So, I hope it will be that way and it feels like it.it’
http://collider.com/charles-roven-ma...teel-interview

McSorleyStick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 11:04 AM
  #466
Jussi
No strings on me
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 47,855
vCash: 500
Feck, just realized the Finnish premier isn't until June 26th.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 11:10 AM
  #467
ItsAllPartOfThePlan
Registered User
 
ItsAllPartOfThePlan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,581
vCash: 500
This really can't come fast enough

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 11:28 AM
  #468
JS19
Four Kicks
 
JS19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Shark Tank
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,358
vCash: 500
Zack Snyder also said some very interesting things...Do not read the spoiler if you want to see this detail in the movie.

Spoil:
Wayne Enterprises will be referenced in the film through a Satellite that Zod destroys. Now the only question is whether it's a nod to another Batman movie in the same shared universe as Man of Steel or Nolan allowed his trilogy to be connected to Man of Steel.

http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/movi...of-steel/57128


Last edited by JS19: 06-01-2013 at 11:35 AM.
JS19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 03:40 PM
  #469
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 19,283
vCash: 500
I'm surprised they haven't used Cadmus more.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 02:23 AM
  #470
Takeo
Registered User
 
Takeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 19,212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
Perhaps you need to bump your reading comprehension skills, because there was nothing in what I just said that was “apologizing” for Man of Steel’s ability to be over the top. Especially considering that other trailers do show that there is plot at work for not only Clark's origins, but Zod's intentions as well. God forbid we get a trailer that highlights some action for once. And if anything, I was actually addressing is your insane bias/hatred/whatever you want to call it for the superhero/comic book genre and the use of CGI. I mean just look at these posts:







One has to wonder if you actually had a superhero flick that you liked…? And seriously…? calling the Avengers typical run of the mill superhero film without actually seeing it or taking note of the box office records/critical acclaims, you just lost all credibility (especially since you had to depend on what others said...).

What’s especially hilarious is that you say “it can be done well” especially when you haven’t even seen the entire movie to even make a legitimate critique of the movie effects, so at this point, you’re talking out of your ass. And it appears Man of Steel is not the only thread to have been blessed with your hatred. I’ve seen you in just about EVERY superhero thread since The Avengers last year (and Captain America before that) is bash the fact that it’s a superhero movie rather than constructively criticize.

Get rid of the whole superhero movies suck bias/hate. Try to be objective, and then maybe, me and a lot of other posters here would take you more seriously. Because quite frankly, you’re acting like a Grumpy Cat in a lot of superhero threads.
Please stop pretending that anyone actually has credibility on a silly messageboard. Also, please stop pretending that I care if you or any other poster here takes me seriously. Lastly, please consider the numerous positive points that I've made about comic book movies instead of selectively plucking posts to manufacture a point.

Takeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 03:46 AM
  #471
Sportacus
:)
 
Sportacus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
This is such a silly argument, although very typical. Sort of like when people apologize for shallow popcorn action movies by saying "well it's a popcorn action movie, it doesn't need a plot." The point here is that a popcorn action movie, or in this case "terraforming" earth, can be done.....wait for it......well. Imagine that?
I don't think you're making the right argument against this movie. The way you phrase this makes it seem as though anything but your favourite movie ever will always be disappointing because there's always something better to be done, in your eyes. I make (and I think it's proper to do so) exceptions for movies and their reccomendability (word? I don't know) based on my experience whilst watching them (for example, to most of my friends, I would recommend Iron Sky over Iron Man 2, despite one of them being superior in terms of movie production [and yes, writing] quality). It depends on the context in which you watch the movie, and with which it is presented.

__________________
Based on Japanese History
Sportacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 10:07 AM
  #472
JS19
Four Kicks
 
JS19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Shark Tank
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
Please stop pretending that anyone actually has credibility on a silly messageboard. Also, please stop pretending that I care if you or any other poster here takes me seriously. Lastly, please consider the numerous positive points that I've made about comic book movies instead of selectively plucking posts to manufacture a point.
Hence, why I asked "has there ever been a superhero movie that you actually liked?"

JS19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 11:09 AM
  #473
theotis77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by js19 View Post
hence, why i asked "has there ever been a superhero movie anything that you actually liked?"
ftfy

theotis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 03:50 PM
  #474
BlackStar
Registered User
 
BlackStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,373
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala View Post
I'm surprised they haven't used Cadmus more.
I'm not, Project Cadmus shouldn't be "alive" until the events after Man of Steel. So we might see it after MOS2, which Snyder has indicated will/should be the next film in the new DC universe.

BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 03:55 PM
  #475
BlackStar
Registered User
 
BlackStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,373
vCash: 500
New 13 minute featurette for MOS:



The film is getting very good early reviews so far. For example, It's averaging 90/100 over at Critics Choice.
http://www.criticschoice.com/search?s=man+of+steel

BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.