HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Man of Steel

Old
06-17-2013, 11:55 PM
Seedtype

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBrown4PM View Post
Anyone else have a problem with the Kyptonian high council staying pat on their decision to let their entire species die for no reason what so ever?

They obviously have the Technology to travel through interstellar space, and quite quickly to.
Well the problem with the Kryptonians is that they basically lost their free will, having their lives all planned out, which caused stagnation, and it was all built around Krypton, so they were incapable of acting.

Something tells me that Jor-el did not have all the details about why the Kryptonian empire turned out the way they did. There are a lot of plot holes unless they explain what happened to them:
-They voyaged out into space for a hundred thousand years, but not one of their outposts ever became self-sustaining? And that's really bad considering they can alter a planet to suit their needs.
-Overpopulation and lack of resources concerns? The race that can voyage across the stars fairly quickly, and has the ability to terraform planets had these problems???
-What the heck was the deal with the Codex anyways? Is it from some individual? Who was he/she? Are all Kryptonians closely related to one another? Also, it looked like the process was burning the fragment, was it gonna run out at some point?

So yeah, I'm letting it go for now, but I expect an explanation at some point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleshemsky83 View Post
im almost certain that Jor-el directly states it in the beginning portion of the film as he's sending superman off, I will try to find the direct quote later, the blowing out the panel scene to expose the sunlight also made it extremely obvious.
Yes, you are correct, he says something to the effect of:"his cells will drink the radiation of the yellow star," a couple times. However, Earth's atmosphere also has an effect that enhances his strength(Jor-el mentions that Superman turned out stronger than what he was expecting because of Earth's air), but it all boils down to the yellow star is the source of Superman's power.
Krypton's atmosphere is harsher than Earth's, and it also somehow cancels out the yellow star's benefits.

Last edited by Seedtype: 06-18-2013 at 12:15 AM.
Seedtype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:06 AM
Poochie_D

I stepped out of the cinema less then an hour ago. I thought that if you divide the film into individual categories like the acting, visual, and costume they would all receive high grades but together as one piece there was something missing. Definitely several notches below The Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises.

Crowe, Shannon, and Costner were all really good. Cavill was solid. Like a few have said, not a big fan of Amy Adams as Lois but she's not the reason the film wasn't at the level it should have been. Something definitely lacking in the script. The film was good but could have been great.

Poochie_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:19 AM
Unaffiliated

vCash: 50
I didn't understand the dialogue at the beginning, with Jor-El saying that Zod only wanted to keep the bloodlines he deemed worthy.

How are there bloodlines if babies are created instead of born?

Unaffiliated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 01:00 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unaffiliated View Post
I didn't understand the dialogue at the beginning, with Jor-El saying that Zod only wanted to keep the bloodlines he deemed worthy.

I think Zod wanted to limit which babies were being created. Basically Kryptonians were born into certain classes and Zod wanted to eliminate some of those classes.

At least thats how I can justify it. Could have also just been poor writing or some other explanation.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 01:09 AM
Balance

An amazing movie. Better than both Dark Knight movies easily. Simply better action and a much more universal and far reaching story.

Balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 01:15 AM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balance View Post
An amazing movie. Better than both Dark Knight movies easily. Simply better action and a much more universal and far reaching story.
Woah. I don't know how many people would agree with you on that.

I thought the action scenes were probably the worst part. I get it. That's how a fight between beings like that would look, but seeing one guy get thrown through 6 buildings into a car, then the other guy thrown through 8 buildings into a train, then the first guy thrown though 7 buildings into a safe, etc. got pretty laughable in a hurry.

I think they could have done a lot better job with the story too.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 02:28 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:

What happens in the comic books doesn't matter. A movie should operate in and of itself, and should never rely on other material (other than prequels). A movie that requires pre-reading is a poorly written one.
Not necessarily. While I understand your last point, the other two points are off the mark by a lot. Why was there such hate for the Super Mario Bros movie? Avatar? You can use the comic book as a template (which this movie didn't do) and tell a different story in your unique way but there are a few things that are universal.

For example; Iron Man never touched on his alcoholism (briefly in the 2nd but mainly they kept it out). They implied it and they implied anxiety as a different illness which is fine.

They didn't change Iron Man and made him some kid from Detroit (though that would be interesting).

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 10:29 AM
Andy

really disappointed. I understand what was trying to be done, and there actually was potential for a good movie in those three hours somewhere, but it was poorly executed and edited.

Better dialogue (this needed significant improvement) and scene transition would have done this movie a world of good.

A little bit too much Lois Lane. She was everywhere, it got annoying. Superman had to save her like what 5 times?

It was such an awkward movie, not in a corny way, but in a poorly written dialogue way. Wasted potential imo. Like I said, somewhere in that script was a good movie, but it was underdeveloped imo.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:18 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
really disappointed. I understand what was trying to be done, and there actually was potential for a good movie in those three hours somewhere, but it was poorly executed and edited.

Better dialogue (this needed significant improvement) and scene transition would have done this movie a world of good.

A little bit too much Lois Lane. She was everywhere, it got annoying. Superman had to save her like what 5 times?

It was such an awkward movie, not in a corny way, but in a poorly written dialogue way. Wasted potential imo. Like I said, somewhere in that script was a good movie, but it was underdeveloped imo.
3 hours?

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 01:19 PM
RobBrown4PM
Pringles?

I read this on a comment board and found it hilarious.

Anyone else find it funny when Superman is kissing Lois Lane at the very end while magically turning off his super hearing to stop from hearing the tens of thousands of wounded and dying in the destroyed city of Metropolis literally right in front of him?

RobBrown4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 01:24 PM
RobBrown4PM
Pringles?

I also find it hilarious that Gaeta and Helo quite literally reprised their roles from BSG.

Gaeta is a control console operator

And Helo is a Helo pilot.

RobBrown4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 01:37 PM
Hawkman

MoS was well done, but if you're going to re-boot a franchise such as Supes or Star Trek why make remakes of a Christopher Reeve film and The Wrath of Khan. It makes no sense.

06-18-2013, 01:55 PM
theotis77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
MoS was well done, but if you're going to re-boot a franchise such as Supes or Star Trek why make remakes of a Christopher Reeve film and The Wrath of Khan. It makes no sense.
Other than the fact it had Zod, it had zero resemblance to Superman II. Not even any references, really.

theotis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 02:01 PM
JD12

Quote:
Originally Posted by theotis77 View Post
Other than the fact it had Zod, it had zero resemblance to Superman II. Not even any references, really.
Ya I don't get the connection he's trying to make either. With Star Trek, ya, they could have changed the story a little more but in the case of Man Of Steel its as much like Superman II as it is like Shawshank Redemption.

JD12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 02:19 PM
Treefingers
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
I also find it hilarious that Gaeta and Helo quite literally reprised their roles from BSG.

Yeah, that was pretty great.

Treefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 03:18 PM
Keggatron

Quote:
That was hinted at, by him reaching for the sun's light when he had collapsed at one point in the movie.
However, it's never stated that he "gets his power from the sun" (unless I really did miss something?).

Superman getting power from the sun is way more prevalent in the comics and previous movie(s) than in this movie. The explanation given in this movie was that there was less gravity.

I got the feeling that him reaching for the sun was more a nod to Superman "lore" than a key part of the movie.
I believe in the ship Kal broke into Jor-El saying something along the lines of him having his strength because the earth's sun was much younger and more powerful than that of Krypton's.

Keggatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 04:46 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

vCash: 27750
Quote:

Yeah, I caught that too but the stranger thing was that the actor who played Gaeta was Dr. Emil Hamilton in Smallville... who was played by that other dude with the goatee in Man of Steel.

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 05:12 PM
Hawkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by theotis77 View Post
Supes is fighting Zod and Zod's lady friend hand to hand again to save the the world. An old plot and old villains are not a re-boot with a new plot and new villains. The first Star Trek film was a re-boot with a different plot. This MoS re-make and the re-make of the Wrath of Khan are not new plots with new villains.

Hawkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 05:47 PM
JS19
Four Kicks

Quote:

Krypton's population is broken down into categories, each of whom serve a specific goal. For instance: The House of El is part of the scientist population, and Zod/Faora are part of the military population.

Jor-El's issue was that if Zod was going to kill the Ruling Council, then he could determine which families were obsolete for his own motivations, not necessarily a fair assessment of who lives and who dies.

JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 05:47 PM
aleshemsky83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
Supes is fighting Zod and Zod's lady friend hand to hand again to save the the world. An old plot and old villains are not a re-boot with a new plot and new villains. The first Star Trek film was a re-boot with a different plot. This MoS re-make and the re-make of the Wrath of Khan are not new plots with new villains.
So Dark Knight is a remake of the first batman? I don't know about that logic, using the same characters doesn't make it a remake

Last edited by aleshemsky83: 06-18-2013 at 06:26 PM.
aleshemsky83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 05:51 PM
JS19
Four Kicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleshemsky83 View Post
So Dark Knight rises is a remake of the first batman? I don't know about that logic, using the same characters doesn't make it a remake
I was just going to say that

To be fair, MoS is wildly different in their interpretations of General Zod/Faora/Nam-Ek than Superman II's Zod/Ursa/Non. To call it similar would be very inaccurate, especially considering the difference in goals between 1983's Zod and 2013's Zod.

JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 03:34 AM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Camera work remind anyone else of Firefly?

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 11:12 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Saw it last night and I am still trying to process it and decide if I really liked it or not. As many have said there are definite plot holes and I am not sure if I like the sudden change of cannon in which Lane knows who he is from the start.

I liked the visuals and there is some good acting. Still can't decide where I rank this among comic book movies and movies in general.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 11:53 AM
The Viper
Legolas

vCash: 90
Man of Steel 2 to come out next year and Justice League to come in 2015

http://www.superherohype.com/news/ar...justice-league

The Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 12:22 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viper View Post
Man of Steel 2 to come out next year and Justice League to come in 2015

http://www.superherohype.com/news/ar...justice-league
Dammit. I was hoping they wouldn't rush the next one and would focus on getting rid of some if the plot holes and Goyer-isms/Snyder-isms.

The have a good base, don't rush it

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote