HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Man of Steel

Old
08-07-2012, 09:35 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLineBlast View Post
Superman originally never flew (he could leap but not fly). I don't know when they decided to add that.

As for Metallo, like I said with Nolan attached to the franchise, I'm really surprised. I would have though that he would have tried to keep it more grounded in realism. (see the Dark Knight trilogy)

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 09:46 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Probably because Iron Man 3 is going to suck worse than the previous 2.
You suck at trolling.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 10:11 PM
Treefingers
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Superman originally never flew (he could leap but not fly). I don't know when they decided to add that.

As for Metallo, like I said with Nolan attached to the franchise, I'm really surprised. I would have though that he would have tried to keep it more grounded in realism. (see the Dark Knight trilogy)
Well, you can see Superman flying in the trailer, so that answers that question. Also...what? You're referencing some obscure fact about one of the first iterations of the character that hasn't existed in 70 years and think it will be in the film? You might as well have asked if Superman was going to be a bald villain in this (like he originally was when he was first conceived). I don't mean to be a dick or anything, it just seems like a strange thing to ask.

Also, I'm not sure that Nolan would try to keep Superman all that grounded in "realism" considering his origin, powers and the majority of his villains. It makes much less sense here than it did with Batman.

Last edited by Treefingers: 08-07-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Treefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 10:18 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
You suck at trolling.
It's not trolling. I'm sure in Iron Man 3, Tony Stark is going to switch to a Hexagon power source to kill half the movie.

LiquidSnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 10:58 PM
BlackStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
If this Superman reboot is a trilogy like the Batman movies, I'd rather see Zod as the main villain in the first film. Have the focus be on Clark Kent "finding himself", the villain can be a minor player, like Scarecrow in Batman Begins. Then I'd love to see a real good method actor portray Lex Luthor in the second film. He's an iconic character like the Joker. It's a shame Daniel Day-Lewis is too old and skinny to do it, he plays badass villains. Then the final film can be either Darkseid or Doomsday.
I assume you meant that you do not want the main villain to be Zod? If so, you could be getting what you want as there are rumours that Zod may not be the primary villain in the film. But from what I know about the fiilm, I don't think you will have anything to worry about even if Zod is indeed the main villain.

It's evident in the trailer that Clark Kent will be "finding himself" in the film. They made this very clear in all the "adult Clark" scenes in the trailer. Additionally, they were telling us something when they gave us different versions of the trailer( Jor-El, Jonathan kent). Clark kent will be "finding himself" in this film, that's for sure.

As for the minor "villains", there will be at least two of them. Faora, and Colonel Hardy/The US Army(not real villains but you know what I mean), and apparently, Metallo could be another villain in the film. These are great minor villains in my opinion. Faora, the brutal Kryptonian alien, the US Army who simply want to protect the world from a mysterious alien, and (possibly) Metallo, a living weapon for the United States.

Lex Luthor will definitely be in the second film, I'd love for Leonardo Dicarprio to play him. Lex Luthor is a brilliant and evil man, but he is also very charming and likeable. I think that Dicarprio would do a great job at it. If not him, I want Joaquin Phoenix in the role. But I agree with you about Lewis, he would have been great in the role if he was younger.

Lex Luthor and Braniac should be the villains in the sequel. With Viggo Mortensen as Braniac. I'd also like Doomsday in a minor role. For example, have Superman defeat Braniac in a brutal battle, then, have Lex Luthor surprise Superman with something he(Lex) and Braniac were working on: Doomsday. Have Doomsday fight a very tired Superman, then let them "kill" each other(like in the comics) to end the film.

Then in the third and final film, introduce Darkseid, who wants to rule the Earth after the death of Superman. But then have Superman return to fight Darkseid and Doomsday who only dies temporarily and cannot be killed in the same way more than once.

BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:02 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Well, you can see Superman flying in the trailer, so that answers that question.
Sometimes they remove things from the movie that is in the trailer because it doesn't mesh or just was filler.

Quote:
Also...what? You're referencing some obscure fact about one of the first iterations of the character that hasn't existed in 70 years and think it will be in the film?
One of the most iconic things from Superman is the old rhyme; Faster than a speeding bullet, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. It's not an obscure fact and has shown up in multiple different media. Plus it would actually be more 'realistic'.

Quote:
You might as well have asked if Superman was going to be a bald villain in this (like he originally was when he was first conceived). I don't mean to be a dick or anything, it just seems like a strange thing to ask.
Not necessarily a strange thing to ask when people reference that Superman wouldn't fly. It's part of his lore.

Quote:
Also, I'm not sure that Nolan would try to keep Superman all that grounded in "realism" considering his origin, powers and the majority of his villains. It makes much less sense here than it did with Batman.
A lot of Batman's villains aren't realistic at all. Joker? Two-Face? Mr. Freeze?

You can definitely find some grounds of realism with Superman. He is definitely trying to pull off a gritty feel for the show and I wouldn't be surprised if he tried a little more realistic approach.

As well, many of Superman's powers came after years in the comic book.

Having a realistic Batman makes as much sense as having a realistic Superman regardless of how you paint it.

Old
08-07-2012, 11:04 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
I assume you meant that you do not want the main villain to be Zod? If so, you could be getting what you want as there are rumours that Zod may not be the primary villain in the film. But from what I know about the fiilm, I don't think you will have anything to worry about even if Zod is indeed the main villain.

It's evident in the trailer that Clark Kent will be "finding himself" in the film. They made this very clear in all the "adult Clark" scenes in the trailer. Additionally, they were telling us something when they gave us different versions of the trailer( Jor-El, Jonathan kent). Clark kent will be "finding himself" in this film, that's for sure.

As for the minor "villains", there will be at least two of them. Faora, and Colonel Hardy/The US Army(not real villains but you know what I mean), and apparently, Metallo could be another villain in the film. These are great minor villains in my opinion. Faora, the brutal Kryptonian alien, the US Army who simply want to protect the world from a mysterious alien, and (possibly) Metallo, a living weapon for the United States.

Lex Luthor will definitely be in the second film, I'd love for Leonardo Dicarprio to play him. Lex Luthor is a brilliant and evil man, but he is also very charming and likeable. I think that Dicarprio would do a great job at it. If not him, I want Joaquin Phoenix in the role. But I agree with you about Lewis, he would have been great in the role if he was younger.

Lex Luthor and Braniac should be the villains in the sequel. With Viggo Mortensen as Braniac. I'd also like Doomsday in a minor role. For example, have Superman defeat Braniac in a brutal battle, then, have Lex Luthor surprise Superman with something he(Lex) and Braniac were working on: Doomsday. Have Doomsday fight a very tired Superman, then let them "kill" each other(like in the comics) to end the film.

Then in the third and final film, introduce Darkseid, who wants to rule the Earth after the death of Superman. But then have Superman return to fight Darkseid and Doomsday who only dies temporarily and cannot be killed in the same way more than once.
I DO want Zod to be the villain. While he is technically an alien, he still looks like a human, giving it a sense of realism. Not only that, but it ties perfectly into Clark finding out more about his Kryptonian background. I think it works great as he "finds himself" and uncovers more, Zod comes into the foray.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:06 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
I DO want Zod to be the villain. While he is technically an alien, he still looks like a human, giving it a sense of realism. Not only that, but it ties perfectly into Clark finding out more about his Kryptonian background. I think it works great as he "finds himself" and uncovers more, Zod comes into the foray.
Smallville kind of killed Zod for a while... "Kneel before Zod!"

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:15 PM
BlackStar

Quote:
Sometimes they remove things from the movie that is in the trailer because it doesn't mesh or just was filler.

One of the most iconic things from Superman is the old rhyme; Faster than a speeding bullet, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. It's not an obscure fact and has shown up in multiple different media. Plus it would actually be more 'realistic'.

Not necessarily a strange thing to ask when people reference that Superman wouldn't fly. It's part of his lore.

A lot of Batman's villains aren't realistic at all. Joker? Two-Face? Mr. Freeze?

You can definitely find some grounds of realism with Superman. He is definitely trying to pull off a gritty feel for the show and I wouldn't be surprised if he tried a little more realistic approach.

Having a realistic Batman makes as much sense as having a realistic Superman regardless of how you paint it.
Let's remember that this is a Snyder film, with Nolan as an influential producer. Also, shortly before filming took place, Snyder explained that he would try to explain why Superman is able to do what he does. So we are going to learn the science behind his powers. That's the realism Nolan, Goyer, and Snyder are bringing to the film, not a removal of some of his current powers.

Additionally, the would will not be as quick to accept Superman as they did in the other Superman films. The US army will be after his behind. That's realism.

Also, it's my theory that they could be changing his bone structure a bit. Look at the bone structure of his back in this set picture:

That's not the back bone structure of a human. That type of realism is what you should expect from the movie.

Old
08-07-2012, 11:18 PM
BlackStar

Quote:
Ah, I definitely agree with you then. The highlighted part is one of the many reasons why I think Nolan/Snyder/Goyer are being simple and yet brilliant in this reboot.

Old
08-07-2012, 11:55 PM
Treefingers
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
And the odds of that happening here are zero. He's clearly going to fly.

Quote:
Again, Superman has had the ability to fly since 1940. It's synonymous with his character. I mean, he can still leap like a super-kangaroo while keeping the ability to fly. They aren't mutually exclusive.

Quote:
Yes, actually, it would be strange to think of Superman as a bald-headed villain when you consider everything about the character that has ever happened other then that one failed attempt during the very beginning of his creation. I mean, it's great to know the lore and all, but that iteration of his character doesn't really mean much to Superman today.

Quote:
Err...what? Those villains are still much more realistic than the alien villains that Superman has. I mean, you've already seen how it's possible to remould the Joker and Two-Face. Freeze would obviously be more difficult, but it would still be much easier to alter him than it would be Bizarro, Metallo, Doomsday, Darkseid, etc.

Quote:
Sure, you can have some realism; it just depends on how they approach it.

Quote:
Again, all of those powers are pretty much synonymous with his character now. I mean, were you expecting Batman to go around with a handgun in Batman Begins or something? They might cut out a few powers I suppose, but most of the powers that people currently associate Superman with have been around for quite a long time. Now, they could definitely tone down some of his powers (i.e. not Silver Age), or they could just choose appropriate villains that would actually be a threat to a powerful Superman and set them off against him (again though - not a Silver Age power level...I don't want Superman to be able to move planets with one hand haha)

Quote:
No, it doesn't. At all. Batman is a rich man from earth who has no powers (obviously this is an oversimplification). Superman is (on earth anyway) an unstoppable alien that has one true weakness and has a cast of (mostly) alien villains. It's much easier to ground Batman in "reality" than it is Superman. I mean, even if they took out his flying, vision powers, and super-breath, he would still be much less "realistic" than Batman. At least you could begin to make an argument (as unlikely as it would be) that Batman could exist in the real world; there's no way Superman could.

Last edited by Treefingers: 08-08-2012 at 12:50 AM.
Old
08-08-2012, 01:04 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:

Again, Superman has had the ability to fly since 1940. It's synonymous with his character. I mean, he can still leap like a super-kangaroo while keeping the ability to fly. They aren't mutually exclusive.
In the early 40s, his power started growing. But keeping him grounded might be interesting take on him.

Quote:
Err...what? Those villains are still much more realistic than the alien villains that Superman has. I mean, you've already seen how it's possible to remould the Joker and Two-Face. Freeze would obviously be more difficult, but it would still be much easier to alter him than it would be Bizarro, Metallo, Doomsday, Darkseid, etc.
Bizarro clone. Metallo prosthetic. Doomsday mutated clone. Darkseid ruler of an island nation. Not too hard to do.

Quote:
No, it doesn't. At all. Batman is a rich man from earth who has no powers (obviously this is an oversimplification). Superman is (on earth anyway) an unstoppable alien that has one true weakness and has a cast of (mostly) alien villains. It's much easier to ground Batman in "reality" than it is Superman. I mean, even if they took out his flying, vision powers, and super-breath, he would still be much less "realistic" than Batman. At least you could begin to make an argument (as unlikely as it would be) that Batman could exist in the real world; there's no way Superman could.
You can definitely ground Superman in the real world very easily. Just a very strong and athletic dude.

Old
08-08-2012, 01:13 AM
Treefingers
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
In the early 40s, his power started growing. But keeping him grounded might be interesting take on him.

Bizarro clone. Metallo prosthetic. Doomsday mutated clone. Darkseid ruler of an island nation. Not too hard to do.

You can definitely ground Superman in the real world very easily. Just a very strong and athletic dude.
All of those variations on those villains are still less realistic than the Joker, Two-Face, Penguin, Riddler, Catwoman, etc. And Darkseid as the ruler of an island nation?! What?!

And having Superman as "just a very strong and athletic dude" makes him not Superman anymore. He'd be some sort of poorly formed, bastardized version of Superman that I'm willing to bet very few (if any) people would actually want to see.

Old
08-08-2012, 01:21 AM
BlackStar

Quote:

Been done already.

Old
08-08-2012, 01:37 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

I want to see Brainiac in a Superman movie, damn it.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 01:43 AM
Alex The Loyal
Grimace Returns

Quote:
Been done already.

He's a SUPERHUMAN. C'mon now

Alex The Loyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 10:14 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

It does seem like Snyder and co want to emphasize the alien nature of Superman. Pretty awesome.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 02:29 PM
BlackStar

Man of Steel Comic-Con Panel:

The big emotional guy

Old
08-10-2012, 02:48 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Man of Steel Comic-Con Panel:

The big emotional guy
Hahaha...that guy is hilarious. Was that you?

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 05:21 PM
BlackStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
Hahaha...that guy is hilarious. Was that you?
Na that wasn't me. I'd probably have less self-control than he did.

Old
08-11-2012, 12:51 AM
serge2k

Quote:
a bunch of aliens flying around shooting lasers from their eyes and battling each other for the fate of the earth.

REALISM!

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 01:56 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
a bunch of aliens flying around shooting lasers from their eyes and battling each other for the fate of the earth.

REALISM!
Sorry, I forgot I had to spell it out for all of the children on here. Realism in the area of character development. Focus on the dichotomy of Kal-El and his alter ego, Clark Kent. Be a big boy and look up the word DICHOTOMY. Here, let me google that for you. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=dichotomy

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 02:32 AM
serge2k

Quote:
Sorry, I forgot I had to spell it out for all of the children on here. Realism in the area of character development. Focus on the dichotomy of Kal-El and his alter ego, Clark Kent. Be a big boy and look up the word DICHOTOMY. Here, let me google that for you. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=dichotomy
hmm fair enough.

I assumed you were another nolan/tdk fanboy going on about how realistic the trilogy was.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 02:39 AM
sabresfan129103

I really hope this is better then the 2006 movie. That movie was so "good" that I fell asleep in the theater(the only time that has happened to me). I liked Henry Cavill a lot in the Tudors, so this may have some promise.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 05:36 PM
BlackStar

This was made obvious a long time ago but I assume that not all of you know this: John William's classic Superman theme will not be featured in Man of Steel.

Quote:
But Snyder insists he won't be reusing any music from the previous movies.

He told Total Film: "We decided to act as if no Superman film had been made - even though we love the films that have been made.

"We had to say this is a Superman movie for the first time and you can't then go 'Oh, now let's steal a little music.'

"So, yes it's awesome music but Hans Zimmer is going to do something awesome."
I'm sure you all know the theme but just in case, here it is:

The article also quotes Snyder as Saying:

Quote:
On the approach to the project as a whole, he said: "Superman is a big responsibility but I felt he needed to be reintroduced to a generation and I thought this was a great opportunity.

"We have great respect for the canon. I would say it is a clashing of stories and ideas. Superman is the king-daddy of all superheroes - to make him work is a big deal.

"The big challenge is if you can make people feel 'What would you do if you were Superman?' That's what we went out to do as far as we could. Superman's always been this kind of big blue boy-scout up on a throne that nobody can really touch, so we tried to make him relatable."
http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/t...-of-steel.html

Last edited by BlackStar: 08-13-2012 at 05:48 PM.